Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it can be prohibited. If a person has a friends and family network to do the buying, nothing can stop them >>

This is certainly true, as is the case with any issue - from the APs., to The Mint. I was talking about one person or one household buying multiples.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think it can be prohibited. If a person has a friends and family network to do the buying, nothing can stop them >>

This is certainly true, as is the case with any issue - from the APs., to The Mint. I was talking about one person or one household buying multiples. >>

Raufus... do you think there is any verification from AP to AP regarding the one per HH/person limit? If not.... the flood gates are indeed wide open.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

• << <i>

<< <i>

This is certainly true, as is the case with any issue - from the APs., to The Mint. I was talking about one person or one household buying multiples. >>

Raufus... do you think there is any verification from AP to AP regarding the one per HH/person limit? If not.... the flood gates are indeed wide open. >>

This is a requirement they agreed to when purchasing the coins from the US Mint. If the AP's do not follow these requirements they must answer to the US Mint. In other words, they should verify the one per household limit otherwise they can get in trouble.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Raufus... do you think there is any verification from AP to AP regarding the one per HH/person limit? If not.... the flood gates are indeed wide open. >>

It would be far too complicated for the APs to communicate with each other. The best that the USM can hope for is that each AP is limiting sales to 1 per HH. So in essence, the HH limit is 9 as there are 9 APs.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • And, as we have seen, the APs appear to be doing so many other sly things that I can hardly imagine they'd go to the extra work to verify households with other APs. They have nothing to gain from verification.
  • Amark is sure going to end up with a heafty Paypal fee total. Has anyone figured out the total fees if they sell 3000 sets?
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amark is sure going to end up with a heafty Paypal fee total. Has anyone figured out the total fees if they sell 3000 sets? >>

3000*960*.027=$77,760

Losing 3% when you are limited to 10% makes me think they will add the CC fee to the Shipping fee
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you are probably correct on amark's way of handling this.

go ahead and order if you can, pay by paypal.

afterwards, cross checking on one per HH addresses, otherwise DK the order and issue a quick Paypal REFUND.

think about it - much easier than any other AP to date. they dont even have to issue refund checks or spend any time stamping and mailing back payments. >>

I would think various privacy laws prohibit sharing buyer lists between the sellers. Not a lawyer though.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Does it seem like Christmas eve to anyone else?
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i> ....... I'm really P'od about the flippers with multiple sets who are keeping the average collector who just wants one set from getting the fair price that the Mint has ordered AP's to provide. >>

I've actually seen some on other sites bragging about how many sets they have by using the family & friends network. Since I have yet to receive even one set, it does PO me a bit. But I'm sure A-Mark will have a scheme in place to prevent multiple ordering by the same person.

Actually, I think I inadvertently stumbled upon APMEX testing a new ordering system a few weeks back. I was just surfing their site & when I clicked on the ATB selection it was available for sale at $1395! It was near the end of December when they had that Merry12Days of Christmas promotion coupon extension. So for the heck of it I put "2" in for quantity & it initially took it until I got to the payment window, where it magically disappeared from the cart & I had to start all over again. So I went back, ordered just one, got to the payment window, added my coupon code, then got another error message indicating I should call their customer service line. When I went back a third time to try to reorder without using the coupon code, the ATB selection had disappeared entirely from the website. I called customer service & was put on hold for over 10 mins, which is unusual for them. I figured others had stumbled on the same thing & were trying to order over the phone. Anyway, when the rep finally came on she said the coins would be available toward the end of next week for I think around $870, which would have put the re-release date around Jan 6 or so. She said to just wait for the Alerts to go out. So that could be why they're taking so long. They may be having problems getting their system to limit orders to just 1 per HH. The ATB selection eventually retured to their website about a half hour later, but indicated the usual sellout. If I had been able to complete the ordering process, though, it would have been interesting to see if they would have re-billed my credit card for the lower amount or just canceled the sale entirely. Didn't anyone else report this? I thought someone here was monitoring APMEX with a script.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

<< <i>Amark is sure going to end up with a heafty Paypal fee total. Has anyone figured out the total fees if they sell 3000 sets? >>

3000*960*.027=$77,760

Losing 3% when you are limited to 10% makes me think they will add the CC fee to the Shipping fee >>

I agree. They can just build the Paypal transaction fee into the "reasonable shipping cost" and I believe this isn't breaking the rules of the USM agreement. AMark might be able to get a better rate than 2.7% though.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it seem like Christmas eve to anyone else? >>

More like October 30th..........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

More like October 30th..........

image >>

touché
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

More like the oklahoma land run
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • More like Black Friday.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    APMEX has spoken of making any additional quantites of ATB sets available to those on the ALERT list in order of placing the alert.

In order to do this, they were contemplating sending emails to those on the ALERT list to place their orders.

They didnt speak of opening up the floodgates and allow ordering.

I for one expect them to call or email those on the ALERT list soon. I do not expect the link online to go live any time soon.

• << <i>APMEX has spoken of making any additional quantites of ATB sets available to those on the ALERT list in order of placing the alert.

In order to do this, they were contemplating sending emails to those on the ALERT list to place their orders.

I for one expect them to call or email those on the ALERT list soon. I do not expect the link online to go live any time soon. >>

I'm half expecting them not to go live at all. I suspect their alert list is miles long and they can probably fill their quota by selling to those on the list without doing another live sale.

Then that would be a departure from the way they normally handle purchases from the alert list. Generally, they make the item available on their website for all to see. The alert is just a courtesy.

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>Then that would be a departure from the way they normally handle purchases from the alert list. Generally, they make the item available on their website for all to see. The alert is just a courtesy. >>

Hmm...good point, I don't have lots of experience with APMEX so I don't know how they usually deal with the alert me! stuff.

It's odd that they're waiting so long to dispense of the rest of their sets. They sold the first <1000 very quickly and they are the best set up for retail. I think that they are, like the others, waiting around and quietly watching the others to see what they can get away with.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX has spoken of making any additional quantites of ATB sets available to those on the ALERT list in order of placing the alert.

I for one expect them to call or email those on the ALERT list soon. I do not expect the link online to go live any time soon. >>

If they want to be totally fair about it, my method is to e-mail the Alert Me people about the date & time they go on sale, then just open the flood gates on said day and time.

Sure, it'll crash their servers, but everyone should have a shot.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>Sure, it'll crash their servers, but everyone should have a shot. >>

The requirement for opening the sales to the public was designed to give everyone a "fair shot". I'll continue to provide information to Michael White whenever I see APs trying to "work around" the agreements they chose to make with the US Mint.
    With APMEX, this could very well be the exception to how they normally handle the alerts. From what I saw last month, lots of people are monitoring their site. They could very well handle the alerts differently for this.

All the AP's have around $2.5 million tied up with this inventory. I find it inconceivable that they would simply sit on their hands without getting something in return.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Apmex may never sell the "rest" of theirs as they may have taken an lesson from GC and sold a portion of them to dealers. Same with a-mark and others
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...just checking...just to be sure...

10:00 AM PST = 1:00 PM EST.

Daylight savings doesn't change the usual 3 hour difference, correct?

<< <i>If they want to be totally fair about it, my method is to e-mail the Alert Me people about the date & time they go on sale, then just open the flood gates on said day and time. >>

I think it's fair to sell to people on the ALERT list.....why take a chance and crash their site, etc, or have those buy that didnt bother getting on line. They have been upfront with the ALERT list and have been telling people to put their names on it. Like a line, sell them in small increments so as to not have a huge rush. Makes perfect sense.

After all, who wants your brother-in-law's, brother-in-law, who never even knew that you could actually buy silver, in the mad rush? You know, those guys that used to rush the toy aisle in toys R Us for the hot toy to sell on ebay!!!!

Hahahaha.

<< <i>So...just checking...just to be sure...

10:00 AM PST = 1:00 PM EST.

Daylight savings doesn't change the usual 3 hour difference, correct? >>

Only if you're in Arizona. But no one is on it right now - it's all standard time.

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

After all, who wants your brother-in-law's, brother-in-law, who never even knew that you could actually buy silver, in the mad rush? You know, those guys that used to rush the toy aisle in toys R Us for the hot toy to sell on ebay!!!!
    >>

For some reason, I'm conjuring up images of Arnold Schwarzenegger from the mid-90s "Jingle All the Way."
    Man your stations........
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Man your stations........ >>

4 Computers locked and loaded!........................................................
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

<< <i>

4 Computers locked and loaded!........................................................ >>

Same here! If I had another I'd be using it too!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

• << <i>Man your stations........ >>

16 hours 44 minutes till launch

<< <i>

4 Computers locked and loaded!........................................................ >>

How many to you think HSN and the Coin Vault have ready to rock?
    My company's T1000 internet connection will be tested in about 16 hours!

• << <i>

<< <i>

How many to you think HSN and the Coin Vault have ready to rock? >>

Think mission control at the Kennedy Space Center.

<< <i>My company's T1000 internet connection will be tested in about 16 hours! >>

T-1000??

I've heard of T-1, DS-3, OC-12... but never T-1000! image

• << <i>

<< <i>My company's T1000 internet connection will be tested in about 16 hours! >>

T-1000??

I've heard of T-1, DS-3, OC-12... but never T-1000! image >>

I thought T-1000 sounded familiar....

If he has those abilities, this should be a cakewalk.
    next post and don129 will be 100 image

<< <i>next post and don129 will be 100 image >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Good luck with your grades. Even one 70, a PCGS 70 no less, would be HUGE news. It will be interesting when the pops come out to see if there have been any to date. >>

I'd bet $50. for to the Susan B. Komen Foundation that I will have at least one. Four of my five pucks are incredible. Examined under 10x and 20x, there is not a flaw or strike weakness and I'm being SUPER conservative in my grading of them. I just got lucky in the distribution.

If I'm right, I'll like put them up for a non-Ebay auction (Heritage?) and put at least half to 2/3 of the profit into a donation to the Race for the Cure and with the remainder, hopefully be able to afford to buy myself replacements in PCGS FS 67 or better. >>

Now the suspense is killing me waiting to hear about your grades!

If you go get a 70 or 70s, esp. if they are the first on Ebay I think that you'd do best on Ebay. They would bring MOOOOOOON money. VERY noble as to your plans for some of the $!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don-

I am virtually certain that there is not. There has been none so far. The APs simply have to make sure (except of course if you're GC) that they abide by The Mint's rules - i.e., that EACH AP only sell one/HH. They have no obligation nor incentive to cross-check. This would be a total waster of the APs resources for nothing whatsoever.

<< <i>

<< <i>

3000*960*.027=$77,760

Losing 3% when you are limited to 10% makes me think they will add the CC fee to the Shipping fee >>

I agree. They can just build the Paypal transaction fee into the "reasonable shipping cost" and I believe this isn't breaking the rules of the USM agreement. AMark might be able to get a better rate than 2.7% though. >>

Absolutely - and this would be totally appropriate.

The question is...how will A-Mark's system do!!!
    Sorry for so many posts in a row, been away for a few hours...this thread sure has woken up.

It looks like the NGC ER sets are bringing crazy money! I wonder how long that this will last? How much of a premium will the ER designation command when the deadline has passed and 69 non-ER sets show up??

<<I thought T-1000 sounded familiar....>>

Coin collectors AND sci-fi buffs..."Impressive, young Skywalker! Impressive!"

But anyhow...yes, if their system crashes tomorrow, you can blame Skynet!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I saw somebody say on here that two different AP's were going to sell tomorrow. Did I read something wrong?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>I thought I saw somebody say on here that two different AP's were going to sell tomorrow. Did I read something wrong?
    TD >>

How 'bout I check A-mark and you check the others? We can both check back in on Wednesday
    with our results. image
    I see the A Mark system totally crashing w/a message later that "due to overwhelming demand, sales are suspended until a later date." Sure hope I'm wrong but I think that it's better than 50/50 that this will happen. What say you?

<< <i>I see the A Mark system totally crashing w/a message later that "due to overwhelming demand, sales are suspended until a later date." Sure hope I'm wrong but I think that it's better than 50/50 that this will happen. What say you? >>

I think that they have probably tested the format and are satisfied. but who knows?
    I hope so. That assumes that they have any idea of what's about to hit them - i.e., enough hits to slow The Mint's computer to a grinding halt.

A Mark would have no reason to have a system in place to handle such volume - this is a one-time event.

With this big winter storm about to hit the East Coast I'm sure that there will be some poor soles who loose power. I can only imagine the words that will be coming out of the mouths of these poor souls....
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    It would seem highly unlikely that the APs would share customer data to see if people are ordering more than one from different companies from a labor aspect but especially because it would probably be against their terms and conditions/privacy policy. It would also give the other APs potential customer names and would be a huge mess if an AP mishandled anothers information.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file