1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan on EBAY

Comments

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Image from auction:

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a strong card!

Cool story guys. The snipe bid attacks!!!

I was winning the Ventura card at $20 and really did not want to win. With 8 seconds it jumps to $20.50 and finishes at $39.38!!! Another record sale.

These auctions prices are blowing my mind. You guys can call me a cheerleader all you want but this is off the charts. I have 15 Ventura's!!!! A GEM MINT and A PSA 9!

The funny part is these cards are really not even nice one's!
  • Options
    The Flair card is going to explode at the end. I am guessing $150 plus!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Not a strong card! Cool story guys. The snipe bid attacks!!! I was winning the Ventura card at $20 and really did not want to win. With 8 seconds it jumps to $20.50 and finishes at $39.38!!! Another record sale. These auctions prices are blowing my mind. You guys can call me a cheerleader all you want but this is off the charts. I have 15 Ventura's!!!! A GEM MINT and A PSA 9! The funny part is these cards are really not even nice one's! >>

Wait a second cheerleader, I thought snipes didn't work on wrestling cards.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    They don't. Paid $40 for that card. If you don't care what you pay you will win. I have never paid more then $12 for that card raw.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    30 + years or so later, and he's still using that bit in his matches. It happened last week against Jay Lethal in a street fight. It hasn't gotten better with age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl7iRUUzR80

About 50 seconds in. Warning in advance, Flair is a blading, bloody mess.

<< <i>image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Hogan is at $295. This is crazy. It may go for something crazy like $500 or more. I quit bidding at $30 so I have nothing to do with this.
  • Options
    Snipers getting smoked on this auction!!!!

Crusher just went for $21!!!

I have bought this card for $1!!!

The main event is coming!
  • Options
    Flair goes for $180 Raw in EX-MT condition!!!!!!

Yeah baby!!!
  • Options
    The main event did not disapoint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hogan goes for $503!!!!!!!!

Andre goes for $158!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!!

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I will be digging my inventory of these out this weekend to test the waters on eBay. I have a bunch, not sure how many, and didn't intend to sell, but will at these levels.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    What was the "ended early" price for the BGS 9 Ric Flair?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>I will be digging my inventory of these out this weekend to test the waters on eBay. I have a bunch, not sure how many, and didn't intend to sell, but will at these levels. >>

Don't blame you. If these are legitimate bids on some of these other sellers should make some bucks as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    They are legit. I watched all the auctions end last night and there are a few buyers that just had to have them. I would suggest testing the waters. These are really on fire and a Hogan going for $503 in a 6 at best condition does seem streached even to an optimist like me.

Check out this link to the Wrestling All Stars magazine set from 1985. I bought this in mint condition about 8 months ago for $21 and set my max bid at $150. I was so thrilled when I woke up and saw I won. It is a super cool set that never comes up for sale in mint condition.

Wrestling All Stars magazine set

I just opened what may be the last set of 1982 B sealed. I paid a lot for this from Jerome off EBAY in a private transaction. It did not yield the 10's like I was hoping for and the way these were sealed reinforces just how rare these cards are in perfect condition. These cards had great centering, tremendous color and surface, but a few touched up corners from the packaging. Overall a great set but I was hoping to bust out some 10's and that won't be happening with these. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was winning the Ventura card at $20 and really did not want to win. >>

So, you were sorta shilling. Not to increase the price for the seller but rather protecting the value of your cards.

Got it image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was winning the Ventura card at $20 and really did not want to win. >>

So, you were sorta shilling. Not to increase the price for the seller but rather protecting the value of your cards.

Got it image >>

Cheerleader is in the know on markets....having said so a dozen or so times...I would not question his logic. It is above the understanding of the simple you or me.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    I felt like I wasy paying too much for the card in that condition and was glad someone else bought it at a price higher then my bid.

I have never seen a frenzy for these cards like I witnessed last night.

I bought a Hogan last month from Wrestleprints.com that was in better shape then this one for $75.

I have known for a while that the day would come when the supply online would dry up and prices would explode. I just can't honestly say I saw Hogan getting to $500 yet. I do think it has made a new price floor but I would have a hard time saying it is $500. Most likely $225 and higher for now would be my best guess. You simply can't find them and the demand is over whelming right now.

Longer term I think these cards are going much higher. That is why I am not selling any.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i kinda think these are at a top right now. There are obviously a few serious buyers out there. As more and more dealers see these prices the more auctions will surface on ebay ect. after all 1000 dollars for a flair or hogan rookie is pretty aggressive. I know they are the two biggest stars in their sport and the set has a reletivly low production... but i just don't see those prices going much higher. There is no event other than their unfortunate death to really drive the price of the card. I wish i bought one from wrestling prints a few months ago when i bought the andre for 20 bucks but i missed my chance. I'm guessing that there are dealers out there sitting on some inventory that will eventually drive the price lower. This is just my guess. But if i was sitting on a stash of these i would unload some of them while they are popular. I just subbed the andre i got from wrestling prints.. i'm thinking its a 7. i'll prob try to flip on ebay and test the waters.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=68393&page=0#pager

Dpeck started this thread on a wrestling website. He appears to be the poster named "RockNRoll".

DPeck's thread on a wrestling site
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, this is the most unique thread I've ever seen on this board.

How many trainwrecks have to be in a thread to kill it?
  • Options

<< <i>I have to say, this is the most unique thread I've ever seen on this board.

How many trainwrecks have to be in a thread to kill it? >>

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  • Options

<< <i>I have to say, this is the most unique thread I've ever seen on this board.

You just cannot contain HULKAMANIA when it is running wild!
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

The OP has an unique ability to drive right by these wrecks like they didn't even happen. He just posts another auction. I must say that it is this ability that keeps me coming back. I'm not sure anyone here is capable of breaking his focus.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I want some yummy pink pie
  • Options

<< <i>

The OP has an unique ability to drive right by these wrecks like they didn't even happen. He just posts another auction. I must say that it is this ability that keeps me coming back. I'm not sure anyone here is capable of breaking his focus. >>

That is because he has been saying his prayers and taking his vitamins!
  • Options
  • Options
    Brian 26

I have never even heard of that site.

I have also never sold any Wrestling All Stars cards. I do have two Hogan Topps cards for sale on EBAY but have no interest in selling any of my cards. I am still buying them.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The OP has an unique ability to drive right by these wrecks like they didn't even happen. He just posts another auction. I must say that it is this ability that keeps me coming back. I'm not sure anyone here is capable of breaking his focus. >>

I don't think he's going to break his focus.

Notice he's only "buying," never "selling." However, several members have gone out to purchase cards from this set...a set they'd probably have never cared about if not for the OP's introduction to his focus.

It's called cornering the market while building hobby interest. He's willing to take a blow in terms of prices right now, in hopes that it drives enough interest for the big cash out one day; or, maybe more purely, to flush them out into the market for his own set.

Even if some of these auctions are being artificially inflated, people are seeing the ending prices and it will start to stick.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I've said it before that I have known of these cards for some time but never got around to purchasing any until recently as this thread did spark a renewed interest in picking up a few which I have.

I have near zero desire for Hogan/Flair/Andre The Giant so I personally could care less how high they go.

As for how popular these are currently I still say that it doesn't matter if auctions are getting what appears to be heavy bidding because the actual amount of bidders so far have been low in my opinion.

Examples of the most recent

29 bids on the Hogan but yet only 11 bidders.
    9 bids on Andre The Giant/7 bidders
    14 bids on The Crusher/5 bidders
    12 bids on Flair/9 bidders

Many of the lesser names are only having 1 or 2 bidders

Like anything time will tell but to me this isn't a sign of a HUGE jump in interest in these cards as it appears to be the same few people bidding these up.

• Options
    My real strategy with these cards is a very long term one. I really believe that these cards have major upside potential long term. I gave zero thought to influencing anyone to buy these on here.

I have posted on the Beckett board becuase I want Beckett to raise the prices in the magazine. I know they are not what they used to be in terms of market influence. But people will feel more comfortable paying what ever the price is if it is in print. They are six months behind on the prices for these so really it has not changed a thing.

I do believe you are correct about once people see the prices they sell for it tends to stick. I have no idea what the next Hogan will sell for but I will guarentee it is not $80. People will remember the $503 sale and think $225 is bargain. That is how markets work.

I would compare these cards more to like comic books or the Three Stooges cards. It only takes a hand full of serious collectors to believe that they should be worth a lot and they will be.

Call me crazy but I think you could see a RAW Hogan some day fetch $500 every time. That day may be now or it may be in 10 years. I really don't care becuase I bought them for my own personal satisfaction.
  • Options
    I just got in the mail a card I won from the Orange King who sold the Hogan for $503. I spent $2 on a Superstar Billy Graham card. It came in a penny sleave and a small leter envelope.

I would be ready to kill someone if I paid $503 for a card and it came this way. I hope for the people who spent big money he mailed them better then that.

He is big in comics and so forth and probably does not realize the importance of the condition. This would be the worst person to buy expensive cards from.

The card was okay and for $2 it would take a lot to upset me.
  • Options
    It's like this thread came from a forum during the dot com days.

Not accusing him of being a pump and dump, just looks eerily similar.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    The Internet boom was fuled by companies with no business model and stocks went up based on page views and anything they could dream up to make it sound like they were worth it. Not to mention short sellers taking it in the rear and being forced to cover their positions in a crazy up market.

The only thing I see similar is how a raw Hogan goes from $130 to $503 in a month. Yes some of these are acting like Internet stocks and that is why I won't be devastated when a Hogan sells for much less.

If I used the last sales and assumed in theory I could get that for my collection it is worth a ton. I am not banking on that at all.
  • Options

<< <i>The Internet boom was fuled by companies with no business model and stocks went up based on page views and anything they could dream up to make it sound like they were worth it. Not to mention short sellers taking it in the rear and being forced to cover their positions in a crazy up market.

The only thing I see similar is how a raw Hogan goes from $130 to $503 in a month. Yes some of these are acting like Internet stocks and that is why I won't be devastated when a Hogan sells for much less.

If I used the last sales and assumed in theory I could get that for my collection it is worth a ton. I am not banking on that at all. >>

I was talking about your posts but whatever.

Carry on...
  • Options
    hello all i am a very high end rookie collector from pre war vintage to high end modern. i have one set of each series of these and let me tell u these cards are impossible to find in high grade.

many of u guys on here i see are bashing this dpeck guy i do not know why. possibly because some of u may not be able to afford this type of stuff. from my reading of this 15 pages of post it seems very high % of collectors involved in this post are complete clowns.

i mean barfvader, look at your collection, how are u goin to knock dpeck?? 1. your collection is pure garbage. maybe u collect junk because u cant afford real big boy items. cmon man u collect mis cut common cards and u want to knock dpeck. 2. the room of mess/junk u have is terrible and i bet u wish u had some of these wrestling sets in your piles of junk and u dont so its a reason for u to hate. i mean dpeck says he has like 10+ hogans those 10 cards are worth 5 times what your junk room is worth, dude u have boxes of 89 topps football in there. so that is my bashing to you jeff say what u want but in all reality your a complete bum!!

these cards are simply not on the market tarapeak back and u will see how few sold and when they sell 99% of the time there so beat or bad there not even worth buyin and thats why i dropped out in buyin/chaseing ungraded or sealed sets. i prefer high end graded for my rookies so if high grades surface i will surley be in the market for them. hulk/flair/giant/ etc... are legends of this sport, juss like babe/mantle/aaron etc. are legends of there sport. point being babe/mantles/aarons are everywhere and everyone who really desires one has them.

these sets are goin on 30 years old and no one has them where are they??? why does like 1-2 surface a month if that?? b/c there simply not out there , no one ordered them from the mags 28 years ago, but 28 years ago every kid opend topps fball/baseball etc. thats why that stuff is flooded, like cal ripken rc one of the greatest modern players of all time and u cant give his rookies away.

wrestling is a new faze and will continue to skyrockt juss becuase its not out there and now i wish i would have gobbled up all the beat up singles and sets but i didnt so oh well. but if some high grades start to surface i will be goin aggresivley towards them as all it takes is a few sales and the markets are known and do not fail.

i belive many of the clowns on this boards are like the people who bashed fogel 15 years ago for payin 120k on a mantle gem mint 10 whitch today is a 2million++ item. everyone who had no $ in 96 bashed him for being nuts to pay 120k on a card and everyone who had $ respected him on the buy and now hes made. this is what i feel will happen with the wrestling u guys bash and says its to much for them now??? cmon guys its petty $ 500 bucks for a card etc. its nothin to me i just wish i had more of them. smart investors will gobble up all they can of these now that the markets rates have been seen and noticed. if these do not continue to surface at a fast rate these will turn into platinum items. so thats where i stand if anyone has high end copys of these im 100% a buyer on them right now. and will be monitoring the market for them. these are some of the last rookies i need in high grade for my collection. ive had mantles rcs for 8 years now. orrs,mj, etc. i juss need these now so bring them on
    collect the best
  • Options

<< <i>hello all i am a very high end rookie collector from pre war vintage to high end modern. i have one set of each series of these and let me tell u these cards are impossible to find in high grade.

many of u guys on here i see are bashing this dpeck guy i do not know why. possibly because some of u may not be able to afford this type of stuff. from my reading of this 15 pages of post it seems very high % of collectors involved in this post are complete clowns.

i mean barfvader, look at your collection, how are u goin to knock dpeck?? 1. your collection is pure garbage. maybe u collect junk because u cant afford real big boy items. cmon man u collect mis cut common cards and u want to knock dpeck. 2. the room of mess/junk u have is terrible and i bet u wish u had some of these wrestling sets in your piles of junk and u dont so its a reason for u to hate. i mean dpeck says he has like 10+ hogans those 10 cards are worth 5 times what your junk room is worth, dude u have boxes of 89 topps football in there. so that is my bashing to you jeff say what u want but in all reality your a complete bum!!

these cards are simply not on the market tarapeak back and u will see how few sold and when they sell 99% of the time there so beat or bad there not even worth buyin and thats why i dropped out in buyin/chaseing ungraded or sealed sets. i prefer high end graded for my rookies so if high grades surface i will surley be in the market for them. hulk/flair/giant/ etc... are legends of this sport, juss like babe/mantle/aaron etc. are legends of there sport. point being babe/mantles/aarons are everywhere and everyone who really desires one has them.

these sets are goin on 30 years old and no one has them where are they??? why does like 1-2 surface a month if that?? b/c there simply not out there , no one ordered them from the mags 28 years ago, but 28 years ago every kid opend topps fball/baseball etc. thats why that stuff is flooded, like cal ripken rc one of the greatest modern players of all time and u cant give his rookies away.

wrestling is a new faze and will continue to skyrockt juss becuase its not out there and now i wish i would have gobbled up all the beat up singles and sets but i didnt so oh well. but if some high grades start to surface i will be goin aggresivley towards them as all it takes is a few sales and the markets are known and do not fail.

i belive many of the clowns on this boards are like the people who bashed fogel 15 years ago for payin 120k on a mantle gem mint 10 whitch today is a 2million++ item. everyone who had no $ in 96 bashed him for being nuts to pay 120k on a card and everyone who had $ respected him on the buy and now hes made. this is what i feel will happen with the wrestling u guys bash and says its to much for them now??? cmon guys its petty $ 500 bucks for a card etc. its nothin to me i just wish i had more of them. smart investors will gobble up all they can of these now that the markets rates have been seen and noticed. if these do not continue to surface at a fast rate these will turn into platinum items. so thats where i stand if anyone has high end copys of these im 100% a buyer on them right now. and will be monitoring the market for them. these are some of the last rookies i need in high grade for my collection. ive had mantles rcs for 8 years now. orrs,mj, etc. i juss need these now so bring them on >>

There should be a min. 10-year age rule to post of these forums.
  • Options

<< <i>hello all i am a very high end rookie collector from pre war vintage to high end modern. i have one set of each series of these and let me tell u these cards are impossible to find in high grade.

i belive many of the clowns on this boards are like the people who bashed fogel 15 years ago for payin 120k on a mantle gem mint 10 whitch today is a 2million++ item. everyone who had no $ in 96 bashed him for being nuts to pay 120k on a card and everyone who had $ respected him on the buy and now hes made. this is what i feel will happen with the wrestling u guys bash and says its to much for them now??? cmon guys its petty $ 500 bucks for a card etc. its nothin to me i just wish i had more of them. smart investors will gobble up all they can of these now that the markets rates have been seen and noticed. if these do not continue to surface at a fast rate these will turn into platinum items. so thats where i stand if anyone has high end copys of these im 100% a buyer on them right now. and will be monitoring the market for them. these are some of the last rookies i need in high grade for my collection. ive had mantles rcs for 8 years now. orrs,mj, etc. i juss need these now so bring them on >>

Spell check please because I can't make heads or tails out of your misspelled ranting. image
  • Options
    Some hit me with the popcorn girl please......
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    Did he just compare wrestling cards to a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 10?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Spell check please because I can't make heads or tails out of your misspelled ranting. image >>

I have grandchildren and great grandchildren. I believe you have been dissed.
    BTW highendcollector Hi, hello, how are ya?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Some hit me with the popcorn girl please...... >>

And I won't be giving this person the satisfaction because anyone that knows me knows I don't care if you down my collection. I don't collect to satisfy anyone but myself and I think I explained fairly well over the course of my time as a member on here how my collection shows stages of my life and what the items mean to me.

Do I care what any of my crap is worth? Nope!

Does any of my crap have decent value? Yep!

But who cares because I sure don't.
  • Options
    Some other wrestling fans want to watch.

• Options

<< <i>Some other wrestling fans want to watch.

image >>

I think I spotted my brother in there. image
  • Options
    Hogan looks really nice in this auction.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

The only thing this post is missing is a few trading references, a "Thats how markets work" line, and a reminder that "I own 965 of these". Everything else is pretty much spot on. Welcome to the CU board, Dpeck's alt.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from my reading of this 15 pages of post it seems very high % of collectors involved in this post are complete clowns. >>

whatever that % was, it just went up.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.