Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 oz National Parks Rounds

These could be interesting to collect. I wonder if PCGS will do a First Strike Designation on these? Do they even have a slab big enough for these? My guess is there will be spotting issues also like the Silver Eagles and Commemoratives.

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I wonder if PCGS will do a First Strike Designation on these?"

I doubt they will miss the opportunity.

"Do they even have a slab big enough for these?"

They have the big multi-coin slabs, so I'm guessing they're already at work developing one for a 3" coin.

"My guess is there will be spotting issues also like the Silver Eagles and Commemoratives."

Good point, I hope the Mint tries different planchet treatments until they find one that doesn't spot.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is spotting a problem with all ASE's or just the proofs? The new 5 oz coins will be 999 fine and could have the same problems as the ASE's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that remember, Russ offered a preventive measure for milk spots on ASE's a long time ago. A bath in acetone, upon receipt, and no spotting develops. Cheers, RickO
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those that remember, Russ offered a preventive measure for milk spots on ASE's a long time ago. A bath in acetone, upon receipt, and no spotting develops. Cheers, RickO >>

Yep, that's what I remember too. Although I had already given up on U.S. silver before he stated that. Too much work to take every coin out of the holder, dip it, dry it and place it back. Not to mention you can never buy them already slabbed as you would have to crack them out, dip them and then find a new way to store them RAW.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those that remember, Russ offered a preventive measure for milk spots on ASE's a long time ago. A bath in acetone, upon receipt, and no spotting develops. Cheers, RickO >>

Yo, RickO....

Post-Acetone...

do you go for the plain Distilled Water Rinse or a combo of Water then Alcohol Rinses?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    My Lincoln Comm Proofs have spots on them. Not so much on my MS Lincoln Commems.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yo, RickO....

Post-Acetone...

do you go for the plain Distilled Water Rinse or a combo of Water then Alcohol Rinses? >>

Post acetone your best bet is a wire brush. That stuff eats away at the metal and is darn near impossible to remove. image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    5 oz National Parks Quarter Silver Rounds = Congressional Joke! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    NGC has it covered.

I think that the 5oz coins should've been denominated as either $5 or $10 - 25c is just plain stupid!
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC has it covered.

I think that the 5oz coins should've been denominated as either $5 or $10 - 25c is just plain stupid! >>

The entire concept is stupid!

These are supposed to be exact duplicates of the National Parks Quarters! image

I hate to say it, but it certainly looks like some PAC supported by the silver suppliers got in on the writing of this bill.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will PCGS make super-sized Blue boxes for these to fit in?????image
  • when will they be coming out ?
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rounds will be big enough, and with enough blank space in the field near Washington's head that they can just counterstamp the grade and first-strike designation directly into the coin. For an extra fee, they'll glue your choice of green felt to that side so that you don't scratch your wood table-tops when used as coasters, or a plastic, non-skid base for use in puck bowling.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm anticipating the bezel and chain combo so it can be worn as a necklace... get your xmas shopping done early!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>Will PCGS make super-sized Blue boxes for these to fit in?????image >>

and these are bullion....

think of the "monster box" image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>when will they be coming out ? >>

The law mandates:
    1. they be made.... so unlike Proof ASEs.... these will not get bumped because of bullion ASE sales
    2. each be produced in the same year as the quarters.

That's the best we've got right now.

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm anticipating the bezel and chain combo so it can be worn as a necklace... get your xmas shopping done early! >>

Now that is some bling image

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm anticipating the bezel and chain combo so it can be worn as a necklace... get your xmas shopping done early! >>

Now that is some bling image >>

A resurgence of the Mr. T starter kit? A remake of the A-Team is coming out this year after all. image
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Now that is some bling image >>

A resurgence of the Mr. T starter kit? A remake of the A-Team is coming out this year after all. image >>

I am thinking these will be popular with all the gangstas in the Grand Canyon National Park area. They need to *represent* you know.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    THe spotting problem is almost completely ASEs (both PR and MS). There is almost no spotting history on Commems. --Jerry
  • Will it be possible to buy these from a bullion dealer who won't cherrypick them first?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>Will it be possible to buy these from a bullion dealer who won't cherrypick them first? >>

that's always the question, isn't it?

perhaps we can get a group together here....

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a cool idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the states quarters in 5 oz. silver format.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will it be possible to buy these from a bullion dealer who won't cherrypick them first? >>

Raise your right hand and solomnly swear:

"I promise that I will never, ever attempt to sell an exceptionally nice coin for a premium over a normal coin, and that if ever I should happen to accidentally make any money on an exceptionally nice coin, I will donate that extra money to the Salvation Army."

If you are not willing to take that pledge, siddown and kwitchyerbitschen!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is a cool idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the states quarters in 5 oz. silver format. >>

I would buy them as long as the premiums were not too high.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it is a cool idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the states quarters in 5 oz. silver format. >>

I would buy them as long as the premiums were not too high. >>

Agree. I think these will be popular with the silver investors if their premium over melt is comparable to the ASE's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    At least you won't need a loupe to see the detail. These will also be easy to grade.
  • Anyone hear of a release date on these yet?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My Lincoln Comm Proofs have spots on them. Not so much on my MS Lincoln Commems. >>

Please post a photo. Sure there are small spots or blemishes on some proof commems, that's what keeps them out of 70 holders. But milkspots, the type of spots that show up after time and grow, tend to be on silver eagles only (both MS and PR). I have never seen a real milkspot on a commem and I've handled thousands of them.

--Jerry

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anything about a release date. I do think that if they were going to produce hockey pucks, they really should have made them with NHL team logos instead of National Parks.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait to see these babies , I hope there are spanked
    like some of the other lg rounds produced by other mints.we'll see
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

<< <i>Anyone hear of a release date on these yet? >>

April First has come and gone..........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Ahhh! TO BE RELEASED LATER THIS YEAR!

5 OZ. NATIONAL PARK COINS INFO - MAY 25, 2010
    thanks for the link

<< <i>The Mint has not given a release date for the five-ounce coins beyond “mid-year.” Nor has the Mint disclosed how the coins will be packaged. The Mint ships its one-ounce Gold Eagle coins and one-ounce Silver Eagle coins five hundred to a box, twenty-five tubes, twenty coins to a tube. This packaging method has worked extremely well, both for shipping and for protecting the coins against damage during shipment and while stored by investors. It is likely that the Mint will package the coins five or ten to a tube, five hundred ounces (100 coins) to a box, which would weigh right at forty-two pounds. >>

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's mid year now. I wonder if they're releasing all of them at once??

I'm in for these, hoping the premiums over spot aren't too much - $1/oz maybe since they say they should be lower than ASE premiums. $5 over spot/per for these would be fine by me.
    It is my understanding that this year, because the hockey puck program is running so far behind, they will issue all five at once. Future years will space them out.
    TD
    OK

anyone up for a group ordering of a monster box ??
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC has it covered.

I think that the 5oz coins should've been denominated as either $5 or $10 - 25c is just plain stupid! >>

The entire concept is stupid!

These are supposed to be exact duplicates of the National Parks Quarters! image

I hate to say it, but it certainly looks like some PAC supported by the silver suppliers got in on the writing of this bill. >>

Oh, those the EVIL PAC'S, forcing our innocent government to sell silver to us. Crime of the century!
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK

anyone up for a group ordering of a monster box ?? >>

Single design? If it were a mixed box and lots had one of each I would.
    If the rumors are true, the coming years will get released one by one. I can't imagine them being sold mixed with a staggered release.

This year, if the rumors are true, they may just be released "at once" or "bunched up." So, perhaps a mix can be had.

Hopefully, the mint will see the difficulties with selling monster boxes and will pack them in smaller sized and smaller count boxes.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the article:

"It is likely that the Mint will package the coins five or ten to a tube, five hundred ounces (100 coins) to a box, which would weigh right at forty-two pounds."

They"ll probably wait until silver is at a high for the year to release them.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    The mint hedges silver.

I do not think they attempt to predict market directions.
    It would be a great promotion for the series if, in this first year only, they offered them in tubes of five with one of each in the tube. Next year they could do them individually, and they would have many sets already started that people would want to keep up..
    TD
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I plan on picking up at least 2 or 3 I'm really bummed these are to be minted to demand.

Proof ASE = dodo bird image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I'll ,probably pick up 3 to 5 depending on the premium.One of each in a tube for this year would be a great idea.Thats why the mint wont do it.Hockey pucks will go thru the dealer distribution system so barring a group purchase of a sealed box whatever you can buy will already be looked over but dont fret you will be able to buy the 70 s from the dealers.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK

I'm a player. I think they are a refreshing change and will be collecting.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    Any way the mint offers them, this will be a fairly expensive set. A collector may have to buy a dedicated safe for the actual bulk of the coinsimage
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>OK

I'm interested.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't heard anything about a release date. I do think that if they were going to produce hockey pucks, they really should have made them with NHL team logos instead of National Parks.image >>

Like that team pucks idea! Let me know when the Carolina Hurricanes one will be available for pre-order. image
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    The Royal Canadian Mint is ALREADY producing coins with hockey stuff on them. I'm not a hockey fan but I recognize some of the logos from SportsCenter.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file