Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 oz National Parks Rounds

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome newbies!!! :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>All that was said was "Soon." >>

This thread will be to 500 before "Soon" gets here! image

2 weeks from tomorrow is Thanksgiving, we'll know by then.......I hope. image
  • WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcomes, it's good to be here finally.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we're at 97 and those last 3 are awaiting replies to my PMs to a couple of people.

And we have a waiting list of 12 people for about 17 more sets of 5.

Can we hit 200, making it 2 boxes of each?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    MsM,
    You're a glutten for punishment image

Thanks again for doing this.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
    If they are affordable, I think they will become hot. Maybe not hot at first, but later on, yes.

And, yes, this is going to be work if it goes through. The average is 1.9 per person. That's a lot of boxes.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Just to repeat....THANKS so much for doing this!!!! Ron
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any more word on these? There seems an almost strange mint silence on this issue of pucks...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any more word on these? There seems an almost strange mint silence on this issue of pucks... >>

As always, it is "The Mint vs. The Collectors."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capt. Is your store planning on getting any of these?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>Any more word on these? There seems an almost strange mint silence on this issue of pucks... >>

The mint said they'd call me back when they have info on a release date.

There's not much time left.

<< <i>Capt. Is your store planning on getting any of these? >>

Yes, but we are not committing to anything until the Brain Trust at the Mint release some information about them.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

The mint said they'd call me back when they have info on a release date.

There's not much time left. >>

I'm still waiting for the Mint to call me back on a question I asked them back in 1977...............
    They (the Mint HQ) called me back on Monday!

surprise surprise.

This how I definitively know they don't definitively know anything.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we are not committing to anything until the Brain Trust at the Mint release some information about them.........

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Anybody watch the Mint's educational video: "Marketing and How To Avoid It!"

My router went out earlier today.

My guess was overheating. (Put it in a ZipLock, then into the freezer until ice cold, and it's back)

I have a new one on the way, just in case.

Also, just in case I'm not around to respond to PMs and posts here, the most likely culprit would be that "the router died." Hopefully the new one will be here sometime Tuesday.
  • aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    Are these going to be proof or mint issue?

Can I request 1 of each, for a total of 5 coins?

If I can request 1 of each, what is the approximate cost going to be?

Thanks,

Chris
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The numismatic version (not approved by the Secretary as of today) will most likely sell for 175 to 195 given the current price of silver. Given there will only be 25K of these, sold one at a time, sometime next year, I think they will sell out immediately and end up being 300 on the secondary market.

Who knows what will happen to the 50k sold without a W via the bullion distribution market. These guys are not dumb, so I expect the price to be high for them as well. Time will tell. The bullion version must be sold in 2010, while the Numismatic version (if approved) can be sold later than that.

It will be interesting to watch this play out as any type collector must have one.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the numbers you are quoting since the "numismatic" version is not approved in any case and even the standard bullion mintages are yet to be told to the best of my knowledge. Prices? Your guess as good as mine, or anyone's...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    DeepCoin tends to be a reliable source.

He also does a better job as Mint Spokesman than the Mint Spokesman.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

<< <i>DeepCoin tends to be a reliable source.

He also does a better job as Mint Spokesman than the Mint Spokesman. >>

The Mint has a Spokesman? Who is it? The guy to the right on the Huguenot Half????

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I thin his name is Michael something.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    Press inquiries: Michael White (202) 354-7222

The only reason I can see for a high premium on the silver bullion is to cover minting problems.

But, as I have said in this thread before, I think the premium will be higher than on ASEs due to their production problems. However, that is my own guess.

BTW, the mint has internal target profit margins on products. Here is the 2009 Annual Report
    Bullion:
    Coins are sold to authorized purchasers at the same market price paid for the metal plus a premium to cover bullion program operating costs. Authorized purchasers agree to maintain an open, two-way market for these coins, assuring their liquidity. This allows the public to purchase and sell coins at the prevailing market price, adjusting for any premium the authorized purchaser applies. The purpose of the bullion program is to make precious metal coins available at minimal cost to investors. Consequently, the United States Mint manages the bullion program to a nominal net margin.
    Numismatic:
    A main objective of numismatic operations is to keep the sale price of products as low as practicable for customers. The program is managed to a 15 percent net margin overall to ensure sale prices are as low as practicable and returns are sufficient to fund numismatic operating costs.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The numismatic version (not approved by the Secretary as of today) will most likely sell for 175 to 195 given the current price of silver. Given there will only be 25K of these, sold one at a time, sometime next year, I think they will sell out immediately and end up being 300 on the secondary market.

Who knows what will happen to the 50k sold without a W via the bullion distribution market. These guys are not dumb, so I expect the price to be high for them as well. Time will tell. The bullion version must be sold in 2010, while the Numismatic version (if approved) can be sold later than that.

It will be interesting to watch this play out as any type collector must have one. >>

Wait, what?

Is there two different versions of these?
    ...(not approved by the Secretary as of today)...

there has been only talk of making a numismatic version.

<< <i>Press inquiries: Michael White (202) 354-7222

The only reason I can see for a high premium on the silver bullion is to cover minting problems.

But, as I have said in this thread before, I think the premium will be higher than on ASEs due to their production problems. However, that is my own guess.

BTW, the mint has internal target profit margins on products. Here is the 2009 Annual Report
    Bullion:
    Coins are sold to authorized purchasers at the same market price paid for the metal plus a premium to cover bullion program operating costs. Authorized purchasers agree to maintain an open, two-way market for these coins, assuring their liquidity. This allows the public to purchase and sell coins at the prevailing market price, adjusting for any premium the authorized purchaser applies. The purpose of the bullion program is to make precious metal coins available at minimal cost to investors. Consequently, the United States Mint manages the bullion program to a nominal net margin.
    Numismatic:
    A main objective of numismatic operations is to keep the sale price of products as low as practicable for customers. The program is managed to a 15 percent net margin overall to ensure sale prices are as low as practicable and returns are sufficient to fund numismatic operating costs. >>

As I mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago, I suspect that the reason the Mint recently raised the premium on the one ounce silver eagles by 50 cents an ounce was to pad the premiums on the hockey pucks and help them get back the cost of the monstrous press they had to buy to strike the hockey pucks.

TD
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...(not approved by the Secretary as of today)... there has been only talk of making a numismatic version. >>

I believe that "talk" is only for future years. The 2010 issues will likely only be issued as MS bullion. There isn't enough time to tool up and crank out some proofs for 2010. And once 2011 rolls around, you can say sayonara to striking 2010 coins (it's the law!)

I firmly believe the 2010 pucks may be the sleeper hit of the year. The well known problems striking them, the limited mintage, the late-in-the-year issue (if they ever get them out!) - it all adds up to a pretty good chance at a winner! JMHO, of course...
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's poor planning that makes weird partial sets occur.

We'll have MS hockey pucks for all years and PROOFs for all but one
    We'll have Bullion SAEs for all years and PROOFs for all except 2009
    We'll have Satin finish uncs for state quarters from 2005 to 2008, but not from 1999 to 2004
    We'll have Satin finish national park quarters for 2010 but not for other years

It just goes on and on. I guess that's what makes this hobby interesting (or frustrating).
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Satin Finish experiment created partial sets for every denomination. The 2005-2010 mint set grouping may become a distinct series of its own over time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>A risk to any buyer -- you may get some blem's (or WOWSA's) with this deal. No whiners!

Chances are, even non-70's will prove their worth. I'll accept whatever is drawn. I trust the Ms will do right with this. >>

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Bringing this forward again, is there any movement concerning these? FEDEX and the USPS will be very busy delivering these and Christmas packages at the same time.
    Paul
    I think the Mint is going to ship the week after Christmas to avoid those pesky Christmas present sales...........

I talked to a wholesaler this afternoon.

The wholesaler spoke to the mint 2 days ago.

There is still no release date for these things. Still!

Forget about pricing right now since the release date is not known.

• We should start a thread with: Guess the release date for 5 oz National Park Rounds!

Here's my guess: December 10th. Price: $180/ea.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Will the price be set by the mint or by individual sellers? Surely the sellers...so there won't be one set price.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    FEDEX and the USPS will be very busy delivering these and Christmas packages at the same time.

Yup. Fedex is the reason I got a PO Box.

<< <i>Will the price be set by the mint or by individual sellers? Surely the sellers...so there won't be one set price. >>

The mint will have their price and the sellers will have their markup over that.
    One week since the last post and still no news out of the mint. Just 5 weeks left in the year. It's going to be a mad scramble to get these to the distributors and then out to customers before the end of the year...
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we will soon find out whether the Mint has to follow the law or not.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    the mint only has to get them to their wholesalers by the end of the year.

after that sales can take place whenever they take place.

<< <i>the mint only has to get them to their wholesalers by the end of the year. after that sales can take place whenever they take place. >>

Yes, understood. The point I was trying to make is that with the holiday season and associated time off, there aren't a lot of working days left between now and the "effective" end of the year to pump these things out. The silence from the mint on these is almost deafening!!!
    my biggest concern is silence = trouble and trouble = higher prices.

But who knows. Many thought Dcarr was in jail but his sentence was only two week of vacation. Perhaps they are still minting these things and want to push out as many as they can at once.

If they are going to wait until the last minute to push these out, I wish they'd tell us now.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE: 5 Oz'rs available Dec 6.

Mint Release:

December 1, 2010

United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins™ Available December 6
    Numismatic versions of the coins will be available in first quarter of 2011

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint is pleased to announce the release of its new America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins on December 6. The three-inch, five-ounce silver coins-the first of their kind produced by the United States Mint-are investment-grade coins with weight, content and purity guaranteed by the U.S. government. The coins are struck in .999 fine silver.

The United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins will be available through an established network of Authorized Purchasers that will in turn make them available on the secondary market. To find a bullion retailer, visit http://www.usmint.gov/bullionretailer or call 1-800-USA-GOLD (872-4653). The cost of the coins will be determined by the current market price of silver plus a moderate premium to cover minting, distribution and marketing costs.

The maximum first year mintage for the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins is 165,000 units--33,000 units for each of the five coins issued in 2010 in honor of Hot Springs National Park (Arkansas), Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming), Yosemite National Park (California), Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona) and Mount Hood National Forest (Oregon). Maximum mintage levels for the 2011 and future bullion coins have not yet been determined.

A numismatic version of the three-inch, five-ounce silver coins, also minted in .999 silver, will be available for purchase directly from the United States Mint during the first quarter of 2011. The maximum mintage for these collector versions is set at 135,000 units-27,000 units for each of the five 2010 coins. The United States Mint will strike all 2010-dated numismatic coins by the end of the year, as required by law. Additional information about the release date and pricing for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Uncirculated Coins will be available at a future date.

Both the bullion and numismatic versions of these coins are legal tender and bear designs that are exact duplicates of those featured on coins released through the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. The fineness and weight are incused on the coins' edges. The bullion version, like its American Eagle Bullion Coin counterparts, will bear no mint mark. The numismatic version will bear the "P" mint mark of the United States Mint at Philadelphia.

Public Law 110-456, Title II-the "America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008"-authorizes the United States Mint to mint and issue .999 fine silver bullion coins replicating each of the designs featured on the America the Beautiful Quarters in quantities the Secretary of the Treasury deems appropriate. The numismatic coins are being produced under authority 31 U.S.C. §5111(a) (3), which provides the Secretary of the Treasury with broad authority to design, produce and sell numismatic items.

The United States Mint, created by Congress in 1792, is the Nation's sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing an adequate volume of circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces proof, uncirculated and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver, gold and platinum bullion coins.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatic version? Odd it doesn't say what that is -- other than a P mintmark.

Both versions will be low mintages, I'm thinking demand will be high for the bullion coin as holiday gifts.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>A numismatic version of the three-inch, five-ounce silver coins, also minted in .999 silver, will be available for purchase directly from the United States Mint during the first quarter of 2011. The maximum mintage for these collector versions is set at 135,000 units-27,000 units for each of the five 2010 coins. The United States Mint will strike all 2010-dated numismatic coins by the end of the year, as required by law. Additional information about the release date and pricing for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Uncirculated Coins will be available at a future date. >>

Cool!!!image
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I think demand will be NUTZ!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So these are short struck per the 100k each mandate. Should be hot.

<< <i>I think demand will be NUTZ! >>

I agree!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file