Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 oz National Parks Rounds

Comments

• JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I was told by one of my suppliers today who purchases from a direct mint purchaser that the direct MP was going to slab all of their coins, first.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was told by one of my suppliers today who purchases from a direct mint purchaser that the direct MP was going to slab all of their coins, first. >>

Considering the size of these pieces and the likelihood that they will get dinged up in handling, that is not an unreasonable idea.

MOO

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was told by one of my suppliers today who purchases from a direct mint purchaser that the direct MP was going to slab all of their coins, first. >>

Considering the size of these pieces and the likelihood that they will get dinged up in handling, that is not an unreasonable idea.

MOO

TD >>

That and they can price the low grades as bullion and the MS70s as P.O.R.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called Air Tites.

They don't have cionfirmation on the sizing, so they haven't made any yet!

I looked this up on my own::
    They have a product, Z5, that may fit these with a little rattle room.
    Inside 3.024”(76.8mm)
    Outside 3.264”(82.91mm)
    Depth 0.151”(3.84mm)

If the mint stays to the 3" with tight tolerances, it may rattle side to side slightly.
    The depth should be more than enough, so it will rattle up and down slightly.

(they should be about 3" or 76.2mm x (0.128" or 3.25mm thick))
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Well speaking of APMEX, I just took the trash out and there was a big box at my door from them! It's a Christmas card, a big Coca-Cola tin filled with favored popcorn and a $5 off coupon good on a $100 purchase!

Merry Christmas! I just got $5 off my 5 oz National Park Round! image
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    If I have to buy from apmex, I think I'll just spring for a tube of 10 of a single kind...maybe I can get one unopened.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    How many is in a tube?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First thanks to MsMorrisine for taking the time to try and put this together wish it would have worked out for all of us >>

Here, here.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• << <i>How many is in a tube? >>

10. It is a stubby tube!
    Ayybody heared(fact or rumors) as to whats the price of each National Parks Round going to be from the distributors?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ayybody heared(fact or rumors) as to whats the price of each National Parks Round going to be from the distributors? >>

I picked up a set for $200/ea from Monaco unique coins last night. They went up by $10 by the end of the show. Presale of course but they said the price will hold.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ayybody heared(fact or rumors) as to whats the price of each National Parks Round going to be from the distributors? >>

I picked up a set for $200/ea from Monaco unique coins last night. They went up by $10 by the end of the show. Presale of course but they said the price will hold. >>

ok just got off the phone with them and was told 1100 for the set of 5 or if you can get 10 sets for 975.00 now is there anyone interested in trying to do it that way ? plus he said they had around 500 but have sold over 300 already so maybe i just need to bite the 1100 dollar bullet anyone ?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Found then on the web... Monaco Rare Coins @ (888) 900-9070... Is this the same place noted above?

Spoke with William Richards who quoted the set at $1375 plus $15 postage and said the set will be $1,500 by later today.

Does this make sense.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Geez, maybe the person who said these would eventually be going for $500 wasn't that far off the mark.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody got an apmex alert for these yet? I signed up for them when they first listed, I'm guessing on the 6th the alerts might hit??
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    People are going to start trading their presales!----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I thought this would be the beginning of "flipper madness".

I somehow doubt that with the series getting off to this auspicious start that there will be a strong collector base for them...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

• << <i>People are going to start trading their presales!----------------------BigE >>

haha.

So people can now trade paper coins and presales certificates! What a novel idea!

Oh wait. The wall street has been doing this long time ago image
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

<< <i>Anybody got an apmex alert for these yet? I signed up for them when they first listed, I'm guessing on the 6th the alerts might hit?? >>

I haven't got a notification yet. That is why I sprung for a set off of tv because who knows how the selling will go at apmex. I suspect they will let us know after the price is set and thier best customers have had their fill.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Monaco Unique Coin Show reputable? Is this a tv sales?

Their website is not very telling.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • There's a Hot Springs hockey puck pre-sale on EBay with the current bid at $256 and five days still remaining.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-5-oz-America-Beautiful-silver-Hot-Springs-coin-/320625295619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa6c1c103
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << People are going to start trading their presales!----------------------BigE >>

haha.

So people can now trade paper coins and presales certificates! What a novel idea!

Oh wait. The wall street has been doing this long time ago

Start doing it right away! I don't think there are any laws on the books that say you can't. Do it now before JPM & Goldman Sachs jump into the game!

Wait, I'll join you.

Let's go with a 40:1 leverage ratio though. We won't make any money unless we start piling up a big wad of orders. Then, let's be sure to issue derivative investment vehicles that can be divy'ed up into tranches and sold to municipalities and small countries like Iceland. Let's do it now, before they all jump on it.

Whoops, we're not a central bank so it might not work. Hey, I can dream, can't I?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>Is Monaco Unique Coin Show reputable? Is this a tv sales?

Their website is not very telling. >>

I believe they are pretty reputable although somewhat disorganized at the moment. You have to watch them on their price quotes. Seems like they are a moving target. They sell a good amount of the SS Central America treasure.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< People are going to start trading their presales!----------------------BigE >>

haha.

Oh wait. The wall street has been doing this long time ago

Start doing it right away! I don't think there are any laws on the books that say you can't. Do it now before JPM & Goldman Sachs jump into the game! >>

Yeah, they got approval to be banks during the bailout, why not authorized distributors for a month or soimage
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Grand Canyon presale is already bid up to $311.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just called and was told they will call me back in 5 minutes as they have 3 people on the line ahead of me. I'll update the post with their latest price when I get the call back.

• << <i>

Start doing it right away! I don't think there are any laws on the books that say you can't. Do it now before JPM & Goldman Sachs jump into the game!

>>

I think the most qualified dealers would be Hunter Brothers and Lehman Brothers.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price is $1500 per set and the salesman stated that their next "wholesale" price is going to be $1575. I asked when they would be shipping orders and he thought they might already have the coins in stock.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay that price, you can get them from the mint next year at $200 or less with a lower mintage.
    So I guess Richard was being "honest" with me.
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK...not to sound too dumb here...but what's the magic of the Uncs from third party suppliers vs proof issues directly from the Mint early next year?

Just wondering if I'm missing the boat here or something?
    <<I wouldn't pay that price, you can get them from the mint next year at $200 or less with a lower mintage. >>

Half...I was thinking the same thing...note my previous post.

So what am I missing here? Shelling out $1500 is kinda steep 3 weeks before the holidays.

<< <i>The price is $1500 per set and the salesman stated that their next "wholesale" price is going to be $1575. I asked when they would be shipping orders and he thought they might already have the coins in stock. >>

Since different sellers have been mentioned here who were you talking to?

<< <i>The price is $1500 per set and the salesman stated that their next "wholesale" price is going to be $1575. I asked when they would be shipping orders and he thought they might already have the coins in stock. >>

Thats $300 per Round.image

<< <i>I wouldn't pay that price, you can get them from the mint next year at $200 or less with a lower mintage. >>

How do you know that. The value of silver will surely affect the price.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, quite, I think there will be a backlash and NO collectors to speak of....Flipper's paradise for now and a bit though. This was not well thought out if there was any thought by the mint about this as they did not even develop a collector's base before throwing in a bottleneck and then throwing in the distributors a huge bone and "dissing" the rest of us....Pay to play, whatever, but I am waiting for the collector versions next year...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i>OK...not to sound too dumb here...but what's the magic of the Uncs from third party suppliers vs proof issues directly from the Mint early next year?

Just wondering if I'm missing the boat here or something? >>

Just to clarify to my knowledge the Mint issue is also an unc. with a "P" mint mark. Also, they said first quarter next year so I would count on spring.
    <<Just to clarify to my knowledge the Mint issue is also an unc. with a "P" mint mark. Also, they said first quarter next year so I would count on spring. >>

Yes...I think you're correct...just having a Friday brain-fa*t. So, if true, what's are the differences between the two issues?

<< <i><<Just to clarify to my knowledge the Mint issue is also an unc. with a "P" mint mark. Also, they said first quarter next year so I would count on spring. >>

Yes...I think you're correct...just having a Friday brain-fa*t. So, if true, what's are the differences between the two issues? >>

Who really knows at this point other than what they tell us. What makes it interesting to me is the question of if they will change the structure of the coins during the next 3 months or so. They may also eliminate the bullion version after this fiasco which could make these kind of unique.
    The coins for sale next year have to be struck before the end of this month, and probably have already started. So they must know what they are selling at this point because they said so in the release.

This is the same issue with the spouse coins, 2010 coins have to be struck in 2010.

<< <i>The coins for sale next year have to be struck before the end of this month, and probably have already started. So they must know what they are selling at this point because they said so in the release.

This is the same issue with the spouse coins, 2010 coins have to be struck in 2010. >>

I wouldn't underestimate the Mint's determination to squeeze as much profit out of these as they can. They will probably be looking at the bullion sales to set their pricing.

• << <i><<Just to clarify to my knowledge the Mint issue is also an unc. with a "P" mint mark. Also, they said first quarter next year so I would count on spring. >>

Yes...I think you're correct...just having a Friday brain-fa*t. So, if true, what's are the differences between the two issues? >>

The bullion version, which has no mint mark, will have a mintage of 33K per design. The numismatic version, which has a P mint mark, will have a mintage of 27K per design. The numismatic version will have an uncirculated finish, but it's not known if it will be identical to the bullion finish.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mint HQ sales people have toured the philly mint when some were being made.

they said they were "proof-like"

they did not know if they were the bullion version or the numismatic verson.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    How hard do they hit as they are dropped into that tube?? Can't be good....

• << <i>Yes, quite, I think there will be a backlash and NO collectors to speak of....Flipper's paradise for now and a bit though. This was not well thought out if there was any thought by the mint about this as they did not even develop a collector's base before throwing in a bottleneck and then throwing in the distributors a huge bone and "dissing" the rest of us....Pay to play, whatever, but I am waiting for the collector versions next year... >>

I don't think the Mint did this on purpose. I think they just ran out of time due to production problems and could only allocate 33K per design for this year. I would think next year and all subsequent years, they will be minted to demand. That's what makes this year's coins so compelling.

Should they have foregone the numismatic version and produce more bullion coins this year? Perhaps. But I think they were planning to have numismatic versions all along, and it would have been bad to not have any for this year's designs.
    My radar says that when the Mint gets in a bind is when the best opportunities for modern collectables exists.

<< <i>image >>

This Baby looks Really NICE!!! image
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i guess i messed up when i called them this morning should have put my order in right than because the price has changed in the last 3 hrs all over the board, hopefully will stumble along to the next place that starts off with a reasonable 200 bucks a puck anything more than that and i too will wait for the P version. Good luck all............................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file