Home U.S. Coin Forum

5 oz National Parks Rounds

167891012»

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX says they are over 4mm thick, so Air-Tites Z5 product is too shallow.

They sell Z10 which is about 3mm too deep.
    #2. Z10: (10 ounce)
    Inside 3.024”(76.8mm)
    Outside 3.264”(82.91mm)
    Depth 0.286”(7.26mm)

<< <i>I called Air Tites.

They don't have cionfirmation on the sizing, so they haven't made any yet!

I looked this up on my own::
    They have a product, Z5, that may fit these with a little rattle room.
    Inside 3.024”(76.8mm)
    Outside 3.264”(82.91mm)
    Depth 0.151”(3.84mm)

If the mint stays to the 3" with tight tolerances, it may rattle side to side slightly.
    The depth should be more than enough, so it will rattle up and down slightly.

(they should be about 3" or 76.2mm x (0.128" or 3.25mm thick)) >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ayybody heared(fact or rumors) as to whats the price of each National Parks Round going to be from the distributors? >>

I picked up a set for $200/ea from Monaco unique coins last night. They went up by $10 by the end of the show. Presale of course but they said the price will hold. >>

Just wanted to thank coinsponge for the heads up i am sure there were a few on this forum who called after reading your post and got the deal of the day. And i hope on monday whoever finds the first pucks going for the 200 each range comes back and alerts the rest of us, i promise the next time i will not hesitateimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no mention of how they will be preserved or protected! >>

My thoughts as well.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << no mention of how they will be preserved or protected! >>

My thoughts as well.

I suspect that there will not be an abundance of anything over MS-68, especially for such a large coin.

They are produced and distributed as bullion coins, so nobody's under any obligation to handle them carefully. Besides, after they get cherrypicked for the good ones by at least 2 sets of hands (and usually 3 sets of hands), who is going to worry about a little ding or a little scrape here and there?

For a bullion coin that's sold at 78% over spot, whaddya expect anyways - perfection?

At the very least, the Mint and its primary Distributors deserve ALOT of bad press over this fiasco.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Heavy Duty injection of "how to collect" the stuff. Whatever floats the boat is okay by me. They don't have to be the size of a half dime for me to like "it".
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins Halted
    By Michael Zielinski on December 6th, 2010
    Categories: America the Beautiful Quarters, Featured Articles, Precious Metals

Bowing to consumer concerns about the excessive premiums being charged for the America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins, the United States Mint will delay the launch of the program. No orders placed by the primary distributors have been confirmed, while the Mint attempts to determine the appropriate course of action to best serve customers.

The new silver bullion program was expected to launch today. The coins would feature the designs of the America the Beautiful Quarters, stuck in 5 ounces of .999 fine silver. An extremely limited mintage of 33,000 units for each of the five different designs was announced by the Mint on December 1, 2010.

Coins would be sold by the United States Mint to their small group of primary distributors who are responsible for distributing the coins to the broader market. The cost of these coins to the distributors was set at a modest $9.75 premium per coin above the market value of the silver.

In response to the limited number of coins available and the high customer demand, at least one primary distributor began taking orders for the coins at a price of about $130 per coin above the market value of silver. Complete sets of the five designs were priced at $1,395. All 1,000 sets made available at this price sold out in less than 24 hours. Other bullion retailers and secondary market sources quickly began pricing the coins at even higher premiums. This had all taken place prior to the December 6, 2010 launch date for the program.

The United States Mint has just released the following statement about the 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins situation:

The United States Mint is aware of reports of concern by many consumers about the high prices and premiums being charged in the market for the newly released America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins. We are evaluating these reports and collecting information in order to assess the appropriate course of action to make certain that our customers are best served in the distribution of the coins, and to ensure the widest possible availability, accessibility and affordability of these coins.

Earlier today, the US Mint sent the following memo to primary distributors:

The United States Mint issued a press release on December 1, 2010, announcing the December 6, 2010, availability of the 2010 America the Beautiful Ounce Silver Bullion Coins through the established network of Authorized Purchasers who, in turn, would make them available on the secondary market. Due to the limited availability of the 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coin coins, public anticipation has been extremely strong. Since the press release was issued, the United States Mint has received numerous calls and inquiries from the public regarding premiums being charged for these coins. As a result, we are delaying the launch of this program. No America the Beautiful Ounce Silver Bullion Coins orders will be confirmed today.
    With the latest developements maybe MsMorrisine will be able to get a 200+ order up and running...
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    This is the way things should work.

The USM took action and stopped the game that was being played at everyone's expense.

Now just offer them direct.

<< <i>This is the way things should work.

The USM took action and stopped the game that was being played at everyone's expense.

Now just offer them direct. >>

That would be the best. Then I could afford to get the coins I wanted.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the way things should work.

Now just offer them direct. >>

That would be the best. Then I could afford to get the coins I wanted. >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX says they are over 4mm thick, so Air-Tites Z5 product is too shallow.

They sell Z10 which is about 3mm too deep.
    #2. Z10: (10 ounce)
    Inside 3.024”(76.8mm)
    Outside 3.264”(82.91mm)
    Depth 0.286”(7.26mm)

<< <i>I called Air Tites.

They don't have cionfirmation on the sizing, so they haven't made any yet!

I looked this up on my own::
    They have a product, Z5, that may fit these with a little rattle room.
    Inside 3.024”(76.8mm)
    Outside 3.264”(82.91mm)
    Depth 0.151”(3.84mm)

If the mint stays to the 3" with tight tolerances, it may rattle side to side slightly.
    The depth should be more than enough, so it will rattle up and down slightly.

(they should be about 3" or 76.2mm x (0.128" or 3.25mm thick)) >>

>>

I've got a bunch of Z5 that I was going to test on the pucks to see if they work.
    If & or if ever, I receive my placed order for the pucks, I'll let you know.

the pucks may be to thick if this is correct.

Diameter: 76.2 mm
    Thickness: 4.064 mm
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Listings are up at Apmex for these. Out of stock/not in yet, but you can get alerts now.

I just saw these today so I signed up for alerts at least. No pricing yet...I'm guessing/betting/hoping no more than $2.50/oz premium....

Mint tubes are 10 pieces. >>

Boy did you miss the mark DrBuster!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>So then all that crap about the bill to remove the edge lettering and unrestrict the 3" thing was just that, crap.

I wonder what the Apmex alert will say price-wise when it comes through. >>

The new Bill will probably give the Mint more leaway going forward.

Silver is at $22 today, so melt for the 5oz'er would be $110.

Apmex is selling ASE Bullion for about 15% mark up.

That would be make the 5oz'er $126. If they add a little more, say $130 each = $650 for the set. >>

Stee-Rike Two!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>At $130 just for the silver these will end up between $150 and $175 each retail. >>

Ball One!

The name is LEE!

<< <i>The Mint News Blog reports that the premium being charged by the Mint to their authorized distributors will be $9.75.

This wasn't mentioned in the press release. If this is correct, we're looking like at least a $20 markup per coin depending on the retail cost.

At today's spot price, that's $142 spot + $9.75 + $10(?) = ~$162 each. >>

Stee-Rike THREE!

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file