Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies official 2010 season thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I haven't forgotten about the baseball season. LOL

Philadelphia Phillies (15) 85 61 .582 -- 45-27 40-34 32-24 21-19 22-10 Won 3 7-3
    Atlanta Braves 83 63 .568 2.0 52-22 31-41 30-26 25-16 19-15 Lost 1 4-6
    Florida Marlins 73 71 .507 11.0 35-35 38-36 35-31 15-13 16-19 Lost 2 5-5
    New York Mets 72 73 .497 12.5 42-27 30-46 27-34 18-16 14-18 Won 2 6-4
    Washington Nationals 61 84 .421 23.5 35-36 26-48 25-34 16-19 15-18 Won 1

Go Phillies!!!!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to to tip my hat to the Phillies...they are putting together an impressive three-year run if they win the East again this season...

Plus Hamels (13Ks) and Lidge (SV) tonight are helping my fantasy baseball team to the brink of a title of my own..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Got to to tip my hat to the Phillies...they are putting together an impressive three-year run if they win the East again this season...

Plus Hamels (13Ks) and Lidge (SV) tonight are helping my fantasy baseball team to the brink of a title of my own..image >>

Go Grote15's fantasy baseball team. LOL

Good luck - I hope the Phillies players help win ya a few shekels.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    +2

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Important note to WinPitcher and Grote15:

Your Phillies Phan membership kits have been mailed. Sorry for the delay but the demand has been overwhelming.
  • Options
    Phillies now have the best record in the National League. image
  • Options
    I got my membership today but with a raincheck on the 8x10 autographed SteveK in Action photo...

I'll take the Luzinski jersey instead, please...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I got my membership today but with a raincheck on the 8x10 autographed SteveK in Action photo...

I'll take the Luzinski jersey instead, please... >>

Thanks for your patience. We ran out of glossy photo paper for the autographed pics. We'll send the Luzinski jersey instead and include a limited edition DVD of Danny Ozark.
  • Options
    +3

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>+3 >>

Philly keeps rolling and the Atl keeps struggling.
  • Options
    I think I know who is getting the Manager of the Year Award...

NL...

- uncut

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I know who is getting the Manager of the Year Award...

NL... >>

Dusty Baker???

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Important note to WinPitcher and Grote15:

Your Phillies Phan membership kits have been mailed. Sorry for the delay but the demand has been overwhelming. >>

LOL!

aconte
  • Options
    Double digit win streak and the NL East race is over. image

Let the playoffs begin..........
  • Options
    Phillies are the real deal, and deserve the respect that accompanies a third straight NL East title...

(And thank you Phils Hamels, Lidge and Ruiz for helping my fantasy baseball team win 500 scheckles, lol...)

• Options

<< <i>Phillies are the real deal, and deserve the respect that accompanies a third straight NL East title...

(And thank you Phils Hamels, Lidge and Ruiz for helping my fantasy baseball team win 500 scheckles, lol...) >>

Hey Tim...congrats on the nice win!
  • Options
    < Phillies are the real deal, and deserve the respect that accompanies a third straight NL East title...

(And thank you Phils Hamels, Lidge and Ruiz for helping my fantasy baseball team win 500 scheckles, lol...) >>

Thanks, Steve! I couldn't have done it without Hamels down the stretch...he's been a BEAST the last few weeks, and looks to have finally regained that WS MVP status of a couple years back..

• Options

<< <i>< Phillies are the real deal, and deserve the respect that accompanies a third straight NL East title...

Thanks, Steve! I couldn't have done it without Hamels down the stretch...he's been a BEAST the last few weeks, and looks to have finally regained that WS MVP status of a couple years back.. >>

Phillies are red hot right now, playing on all 8 cylinders, and I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't represent the NL again in the World Series. Could be another Yankees - Phillies WS...but I have a feeling, not a strong feeling, more of a hunch that the Yankees are gonna get clipped in the AL playoffs.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Roy will be hungry for a title. He's as great as he's ever been but face it, he's approaching his mid 30s. Now or never, etc.
  • Options

This is going to be better than last year. They didn't have much of a chance against the Yankees.

This year they can beat any team on the field.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia Mint still sucks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭
    Phillies win it all.

You can take that to the bank. The Oswalt deal and Hamels being a stud again is too much for any team to match. In case people are not aware almost every Yankee offensive player is having the worst year of his career. Jeter, Aroid, Texeira (has he really become a .245 hitter), Posada. I'm a Yankee fan; but they are not winning. Yankees will lose to the Rays and the Phillies will beat the Rays in the WS.

So congrats to all Phillies fans. Now as for that Vick character....I hope someone knocks the sh** out of him.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the Series is the Phillies' to lose. Unmatched rotation, solid set-up guy, Lidge is closing like he did in Houston, offense is clicking.

Phillies over Twins, 4 games to 1.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    nice little needle for the yanks from the bosox tonight....

• Options
    Phillies with 11 wins in a row - sure wish that was in the playoffs and WS. LOL

...and the Phillies now have the best record in MLB. image
  • Options
    If the Phillies win the 2010 WS, I think they would have to be called, and it's not debatable, the greatest MLB team of the 21st century, right?

I think even WinPitcher would agree with that? LOL
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Phillies win the 2010 WS, I think they would have to be called, and it's not debatable, the greatest MLB team of the 21st century, right?

I think even WinPitcher would agree with that? LOL >>

No, the first team to win 3 WS gets to call themselves that. Werth will help bring a WS to the BoSox in 2011, yeah!!! image
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The Phillies are peaking at the right time.

I think they are going to win it all this year and they will be remembered as a better team than the 27 Yankees. image

Hopefully my prediction will jinx the Sillies. lol

brianimage
  • Options
    Congrats to the Phillies and of course the Philly fans that post here.

Good luck in the Playoffs!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats to the Phillies and of course the Philly fans that post here.

Good luck in the Playoffs!

Steve >>

Thanks Steve - most appreciated!
  • Options
    SteveK,

The Phils are superb. They are outstanding...and I am betting that Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, Utley, and Werth will probably lead them to another World Series appearance...they certainly led them to the best record!
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options

<< <i>SteveK,

The Phils are superb. They are outstanding...and I am betting that Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, Utley, and Werth will probably lead them to another World Series appearance...they certainly led them to the best record! >>

You forgot to mention Ryan Howard. image
  • Options
    phillies suck there fans like all philly fans are animals and i hope they lose in the first round they suck
  • Options

<< <i>phillies suck there fans like all philly fans are animals and i hope they lose in the first round they suck >>

I'm presuming from your avatar that you probably don't like the Flyers either. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK,

The Phils are superb. They are outstanding...and I am betting that Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt, Utley, and Werth will probably lead them to another World Series appearance...they certainly led them to the best record! >>

You forgot to mention Ryan Howard. image >>

I did? image

Steve, I was looking at Howard's yearly upcoming salary the other day...it is going to be ugly in philly in a few years my friend. You better hope that this season isn't signaling the beginning of the end for him. I may fear for Howard's safety when that big production drop occurs during the midst of that salary explosion.

Maybe a big World Series performance out of him could buy him a few extra years of grace when that happens. Another stinker like last year, ouch.

• Options
    Congrats Phillies.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Braves should make a move for Vance Worley next season, he could be their ace next year.
  • Options
    Ryan Howard likes boys
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan Howard likes boys >>

Well, he is playing a "kid's game". LOL
  • Options
    Hey Giants, Padres, and Braves...quit f*in' around and settle this...I'm chomping at the bit for some playoff baseball. image
  • Options
    Phillies finish the season with the best record in Major League Baseball.

The playoffs - BRING IT ON!!!
  • Options
    Alright, finally here, Wednesday 5:30pm - Showtime!
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

Don't overlook the Reds. Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto are going to be tough. Defintely going to be tough against the Phiilies SP's. Remember the last time we played in that 4 game series, I believe we went to extra innings in all four games.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options

<< <i>Steve,

Don't overlook the Reds. Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto are going to be tough. Defintely going to be tough against the Phiilies SP's. Remember the last time we played in that 4 game series, I believe we went to extra innings in all four games.

Mark >>

Mark - I agree with ya - I don't take anything for granted in a short series...could go either way.

I'd wish your Reds "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image

Frankly, any other team winning but the Braves doesn't bother me, and I'm looking forward to some great post season MLB.
  • Options
    Has Ryan Howard transformed into the next Kingman yet?

Kingman would have died for the season Howard just completed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Has Ryan Howard transformed into the next Kingman yet?

Kingman would have died for the season Howard just completed.

Steve >>

Steve, your premise is absolutely right.

Kingman's best season, by far...he hit 48 HRs but still only had 115 RBIs, and he did have a good .288 average...but he never even sniffed another season like that...whereby Ryan Howard has consistently had a number of solid, HOF type seasons.

To compare Ryan Howard with Dave Kingman is not only incorrect, it's comical. Sure, Howard will eventually get old as everyone does...Willie Mays eventually "tranformed" into a "Dave Kingman" and worse, but in my viewpoint Ryan Howard has already been worth every penny the Phillies pay him.

The Phillies won the NL East again, and are in the playoffs again, with the help and compliments of Ryan Howard. Case closed.
  • Options
    Howard has had ONE HOF type season fellas... The rest of them he owes the credit to his teammates for getting on base so often(as well as them being good baserunners), and making him look better than he really is. It does fool the common man of the sports world. THat is the whole point of the Kingman thing. IN the end, Howard(not his teammates), will be closer to Dave Kingman, than to a true HOF hitter.

Howard plays in an offensively inflated live ball era...throw some salt on those numbers when comparing him to ANY player from era's where it was harder to score runs.

Howard is soon approaching typical Kingman like years. He will get 'old' fast. He will be a liability by age 35....leaving him far off HOF merit.

If you own his cards or memorabilia, sell them now...dont' wait until the s@#t hits the fan with him.

Winpitcher, it doesn't surprise me that Howard's RBI chances, and the relation to his total RBI, are beyond your comprehension...after all, you still believe in the Jack Morris myth of pitching to the score(and can't grasp the concept or run support). LOL.

• Options

<< <i>Winpitcher, it doesn't surprise me that Howard's RBI chances, and the relation to his total RBI, are beyond your comprehension...after all, you still believe in the Jack Morris myth of pitching to the score(and can't grasp the concept or run support). LOL. >>

Whatever Skip. Nothing surprises me anymore either.

Lets make one thing perfectly clear (for probably the 10th time) (you comprehension not withstanding.

I never said Morris pitched to the score. I may have not disagreed with those that said that. Because unlike you I listen to other opinions.

In fact all I ever recall saying was that anything was possible. As for Howard and how he was able to drive in so many runs it goes without saying that

he had more chances.

So tell us, when does the transformation finally happen? You claimed it was going to happen 3 years ago........

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Winpitcher, I initially wrote the descent to Kingman post in July of 2009.

With Howard, two out of the last three years he has OPS+ of 124, and 128. He sprinkled a nice 141 OPS+ in between. Not uncommon for a falling guy to throw in a well placed very nice year in the midst of that fall.

What is fooling people is that in 2008, his 124 OPS+ year, Howard still got to 146 RBI...thus fooling people into thinking he was the same caliber as the 2006 version(where he truly did have an elite season). He got there because he hit unusually well with men on base. Since his true skills had deterioated from elite(as evidence of his OPS+), this exceptional men on base hitting masked his fall because he still had all those RBI.

In 2009, he really did have a good year, and he still maintained his very high RBI total, in part because of the really good year, and in part because he had a lot of men on base to drive in(as usual).

In 2010, he went back to an OPS+ of 128, but this time, instead of hitting exceptionally well with men on base, he just did about average with men on base...and his RBI total went to 108. This was the first fall of one of the cosmetic stats from when he truly was elite in 2006. With 'normal' amount of men on base, he would be under 100 RBI this season....but that doesn't matter, because RBI fluctuates with the team and luck. What matters is HIS hitting...and it is a big drop from elite. Votto, Pujols, and A. Gonzalez are the elite hitting first baseman, not Howard. Yeah, I know...he is in the post season(thanks to his teammates).

Look for Howard to hit appx 105 home runs total for the next three years. His SLG% will dip under .500 in one or two of those years(he nearly was under .500 this year). His OB% will then drop as he doesn't get as many 'feared' free passes.

Then he will be 34 heading into that next season...then at this point he is a hair away from hitting .230 with 20 home runs. Either he then becomes a platoon player, or the 'Jim Rice' collapse will be right behind that.

In the end, he will be lucky if he catches Kingman in home runs...and he will have had the advantage of hitting in an era far easier to hit home runs...that will be quite funny.

If he plays 13 full seasons, that would be about right...and his OPS+ would be somewhere in the mid 120's...and for a shorter career that is good...but clearly not great.

P.S. Winpitcher, the stuff about Jack Morris,...saying "anything is possible" is the easy way out.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve,

Mark >>

Mark - I agree with ya - I don't take anything for granted in a short series...could go either way.

I'd wish your Reds "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image

Frankly, any other team winning but the Braves doesn't bother me, and I'm looking forward to some great post season MLB. >>

Steve,

Best of luck to you as well. Obviously I am pulling for the Reds but I wouldn't be disappointed with the Phillies winning another one. Philly is a great sports town with a ton of bad luck. I wouldn't have an issue with the Braves winning either. I like Bobby Cox and think the Braves have been a class organization the last 20 years.

I just pray if the Reds are nursing a lead in the 9th, we put Chapman in. I think it will be lights out. If Cordero goes in, well........who knows what is going to happen.

I will be recording the game tomorrow. I won't get home until after 6. I just love the MLB postseason, especially when the Reds are in. Although I can't stand to listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Both are overrated and get on my nerves. Give me Marty and Joe any day.

Mark

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524