Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies official 2010 season thread

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭
    Top of the 9th, Rockies down a run, runners on first and second.....A pivotal point in the game......Phillies fans stand up, but not to cheer their closer Brad Lidge. They stood up in unison to chant "You Took Steriods!" while Jason Giambi was batting. That is what makes Phili unique. Sure, you see roids users getting taunted everywhere, but not by that many people, and not at a crucial point in the game. I'm not taking a cheap shot at Phili fans, I'm just saying that fans in most stadiums wouldn't carry it so far as to make the taunting more important than the end of a tight ballgame.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can cheer when a player is laying motionless on the turf, there's no telling where bottom is for this group..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Top of the 9th, Rockies down a run, runners on first and second.....A pivotal point in the game......Phillies fans stand up, but not to cheer their closer Brad Lidge. They stood up in unison to chant "You Took Steriods!" while Jason Giambi was batting. That is what makes Phili unique. Sure, you see roids users getting taunted everywhere, but not by that many people, and not at a crucial point in the game. I'm not taking a cheap shot at Phili fans, I'm just saying that fans in most stadiums wouldn't carry it so far as to make the taunting more important than the end of a tight ballgame. >>

I don't wanna hear about the "taunting" - I wanna know if the batteries hit the target. LOL

In any event...the taunting must have worked - it's the result that counts. image

I know Braves fans ain't worried, yet, but I don't see no chirpin' like there was a few days ago. Ha!
  • Options

<< <i>If they can cheer when a player is laying motionless on the turf, there's no telling where bottom is for this group.. >>

Yea, perhaps the only time Michael Irvin was speechless. BTW, it was a clean hit and nobody in Philly was rooting for him not to get up. If you can't stomach the game of football, then go watch badminton.
  • Options
    Yea, perhaps the only time Michael Irvin was speechless. BTW, it was a clean hit and nobody in Philly was rooting for him not to get up

Yeah, they were cheering because they thought he was seriously injured...a classy bunch those Philly fans..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Yea, perhaps the only time Michael Irvin was speechless. BTW, it was a clean hit and nobody in Philly was rooting for him not to get up

Yeah, they were cheering because they thought he was seriously injured...a classy bunch those Philly fans.. >>

Too pathetic for words because you have no clue, and neither do some jackass sportswriters who never saw the whole thing. I watched that game live on TV, I doubt if you did...the Eagles fans cheered the legal hard hit and yes were happy to see Irvin on his arse after a hard hit - that's football. After it was obvious he was really hurt and not just knocked out, the Eagles fans including myself at home, gave Irvin a cheer and hand clap as he was being led off the field in a stretcher.

You wanna knock Eagles fans go ahead, but at least do it honestly.
  • Options
    Here's the recounting of the even on SI.com via the AP...sure doesn't sound like the majority of the Philly fans were cheering "the legal hard hit," as you quaintly put it, LOL. Even your own mayor was appalled...but in all fairness, the article does say that some fans did cheer respectfully when he was placed in the ambulance, so not ALL Philly fans are crude and classless, just the majority, LOL..

'There's no excuse for what we did'
    Philadelphia fans criticized for reaction to Irvin injury
    Click here for more on this story

Posted: Thursday October 14, 1999 07:21 PM
    Michael Irvin Insult to injury: Philly fans hit an all-time low in poor sportsmanship by booing an injured Michael Irvin. AP

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- They brawl, boo and hurl batteries and snowballs. Philadelphia fans have earned their reputation as among the most surly in sports.

By cheering Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin as he lay motionless on the turf Sunday with a neck injury, the fans brought the city's reputation for boorishness to new lows. It disgusted even those who thought they had seen it all in the "City of Brotherly Love."

"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News.

The latest act of civic embarrassment unfolded during the Philadelphia Eagles' 13-10 victory over the Cowboys.

The 33-year-old Irvin landed awkwardly on his head after catching a pass from Troy Aikman in the first quarter. He lay motionless on the artificial turf for nearly 20 minutes while medical staff attended to him.

Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field. Many also cheered respectfully when he was placed in an ambulance, but the damage was done.

"Some people need to grow up and find some inner peace, because there is no peace in watching somebody suffer," said Irvin's teammate, Emmitt Smith.

"This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," said Mayor Edward Rendell, an avid sports fan.

What makes Philly fans so foul? More than any other sports city -- even New York -- Philadelphia is known for fans who can be rude, raucous, passionate and sometimes, way out of bounds.

"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them."

Michael Zellman, an 18-year-old fan from Philadelphia, said he won't attend Eagles games anymore.

"If you're not wearing the right jersey, you're guaranteed to get beat up," Zellman said.

Fans are so rowdy that a municipal judge holds court during games to charge offenders on the spot.

"If I want to go to a game, I go to another city. I go to New York or Baltimore," said a 78-year-old fan who insisted on not giving his name. "I don't want my name to go on anything that has to do with this city, the way these people act."

One theory for the fans' behavior is the longtime failure of their teams. The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960. The 76ers of the NBA had the worst record in league history when they were 9-73 in 1972-73.

The Phillies have lost more games than any team in baseball history. They also blew the pennant in 1964, squandering a 6 1/2-game lead with 12 to play with 10 straight losses in 1964.

The fan reaction to Irvin's injury was widely criticized in the city's newspapers and on talk radio Monday. One caller to WIP sports radio said some fans no longer see athletes as real people.

"Entertainment and sports have come so close together that people are losing their grip on what's entertainment and what's reality," he said.

Philadelphia's list of embarrassing moments is getting lengthy.

On Nov. 10, 1997, a fan shot a flare gun across the field into the stands during a nationally televised Monday night game against the San Francisco 49ers. Fans pelted national TV broadcasters with snowballs during a Cowboys-Eagles game in 1989. Santa Claus was booed and pelted with snowballs during a game between the Eagles and Minnesota in 1968.

This year, fans threw batteries at St. Louis Cardinals outfielder J.D. Drew, expressing their anger that he didn't sign with the Phillies after they drafted him in 1997.

No one is safe. Mike Schmidt, one of the best third basemen in baseball history, was booed for much of his career with the Phillies.

"Ron Jaworski told me one time that he had completed like 14 passes in a row, and on the 15th one he had an incompletion and they booed him," said Randall Cunningham, the Eagles' star quarterback from 1985-95.

Irvin, who stayed overnight in the spinal trauma unit of a Philadelphia hospital with swelling in his spine near the base of his skull, was released Monday and flew home. The Cowboys are optimistic he'll play again this season.

"There's no excuse for what we did," Rendell said.

• Options

<< <i>Here's the recounting of the even on SI.com...sure doesn't sound like the majority of the Philly fans were cheering "the legal hard hit," as you quaintly put it, LOL...but in all fairness, the article does say that some fans did cheer respectfully when he was placed in the ambulance, so not ALL Philly fans are crude and classless, just the majority, LOL..

'There's no excuse for what we did'
    Philadelphia fans criticized for reaction to Irvin injury
    Click here for more on this story

Posted: Thursday October 14, 1999 07:21 PM
    Michael Irvin Insult to injury: Philly fans hit an all-time low in poor sportsmanship by booing an injured Michael Irvin. AP

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- They brawl, boo and hurl batteries and snowballs. Philadelphia fans have earned their reputation as among the most surly in sports.

By cheering Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin as he lay motionless on the turf Sunday with a neck injury, the fans brought the city's reputation for boorishness to new lows. It disgusted even those who thought they had seen it all in the "City of Brotherly Love."

"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News.

The latest act of civic embarrassment unfolded during the Philadelphia Eagles' 13-10 victory over the Cowboys.

The 33-year-old Irvin landed awkwardly on his head after catching a pass from Troy Aikman in the first quarter. He lay motionless on the artificial turf for nearly 20 minutes while medical staff attended to him.

Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field. Many also cheered respectfully when he was placed in an ambulance, but the damage was done.

"Some people need to grow up and find some inner peace, because there is no peace in watching somebody suffer," said Irvin's teammate, Emmitt Smith.

"This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," said Mayor Edward Rendell, an avid sports fan.

What makes Philly fans so foul? More than any other sports city -- even New York -- Philadelphia is known for fans who can be rude, raucous, passionate and sometimes, way out of bounds.

"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them."

Michael Zellman, an 18-year-old fan from Philadelphia, said he won't attend Eagles games anymore.

"If you're not wearing the right jersey, you're guaranteed to get beat up," Zellman said.

Fans are so rowdy that a municipal judge holds court during games to charge offenders on the spot.

"If I want to go to a game, I go to another city. I go to New York or Baltimore," said a 78-year-old fan who insisted on not giving his name. "I don't want my name to go on anything that has to do with this city, the way these people act."

One theory for the fans' behavior is the longtime failure of their teams. The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960. The 76ers of the NBA had the worst record in league history when they were 9-73 in 1972-73.

The Phillies have lost more games than any team in baseball history. They also blew the pennant in 1964, squandering a 6 1/2-game lead with 12 to play with 10 straight losses in 1964.

The fan reaction to Irvin's injury was widely criticized in the city's newspapers and on talk radio Monday. One caller to WIP sports radio said some fans no longer see athletes as real people.

"Entertainment and sports have come so close together that people are losing their grip on what's entertainment and what's reality," he said.

Philadelphia's list of embarrassing moments is getting lengthy.

On Nov. 10, 1997, a fan shot a flare gun across the field into the stands during a nationally televised Monday night game against the San Francisco 49ers. Fans pelted national TV broadcasters with snowballs during a Cowboys-Eagles game in 1989. Santa Claus was booed and pelted with snowballs during a game between the Eagles and Minnesota in 1968.

This year, fans threw batteries at St. Louis Cardinals outfielder J.D. Drew, expressing their anger that he didn't sign with the Phillies after they drafted him in 1997.

No one is safe. Mike Schmidt, one of the best third basemen in baseball history, was booed for much of his career with the Phillies.

"Ron Jaworski told me one time that he had completed like 14 passes in a row, and on the 15th one he had an incompletion and they booed him," said Randall Cunningham, the Eagles' star quarterback from 1985-95.

Irvin, who stayed overnight in the spinal trauma unit of a Philadelphia hospital with swelling in his spine near the base of his skull, was released Monday and flew home. The Cowboys are optimistic he'll play again this season.

"There's no excuse for what we did," Rendell said. >>

You wanna believe everything you read...you go right ahead. About McNabb - he had a chip on his shoulder towards Philly ever since he got to Philly...that's what I would expect him to say. Rendell has to take that position for political reasons to look like a good guy. Of course Smith is gonna defend his teammate. As far as the two so called fans who say they won't attend any more games...the Eagles have a season ticket waiting list for years. The rest of it is media hype BS designed to sell newspapers and magazines.

I'm not saying at all that some of the other stories presented in the article weren't true....but the story about the "fan reaction" in the Irvin story after he was on the stretcher isn't true, no matter how many times they or you may say it. Yes we are "surly"...I admit it, but we don't cheer when we know players are injured and that includes any Dallas Cowboys player.
  • Options
    Phillies inching forward in the standings.

We must keep winning and for the first time in quite awhile this season, I'm optimistic.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    7, count 'em, 7 straight wins!

Right back in it.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Dom Brown rocks.

Good to see him on the roster.

Hey, how about those Mets?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Now the Yankees, errr I mean Phillies will be stealing an Astro pitcher.

Pathetic. Baseball needs to do something about teams stealing players from other teams.

Right Stevek?

Maybe Chaz will start a thread? I mean after all the Phillies have been in the last 2 Series.

I'd like for the Royals and Pirates to have a chance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I forgot

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're getting Roy image

Houston Chronicle Link

While I'm kinda bummed to see him go, he's done so much for the city and organization, that I want what's best for him. It would soften the blow if the prospects pan out but you never know.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Another mercenary for the Philadelphia Yankees..

• Options
    nothing but a hater...

move along...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Another mercenary for the Philadelphia Yankees.. >>

+1. And to think- Only 3 weeks ago they were shopping Jason Werth. Now, they add Oswalt?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Rumor has it that Hal Steinbrenner has agreed to run the Phillies while his brother Hank will continue to run the Yankees...

• Options
    Bandwagon fans are beginning to show.....................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8 in a row! image
  • Options
    Bandwagon?- I've been a Braves fan since before I could walk. I just post here because Stevek and Grote understand the NL East, even though they represent the Sillies and the NY Pulled Hamstrings. The NL East is the greatest division in MLB. Pretty much the only thing we'd all agree on is that the Yankees stink.

• Options
    The NY Pulled Hamstrings - great line. LOL

That's what fans like Grote15 and WinPitcher don't understand - Yes, the Mets, and the Phillies have a high payroll now...but there's a difference between a player like most Mets players who have little heart and won't put in that extra effort to win, unlike the Phillies players who have the heart to win, and play through injuries, etc to help the team win.

One day maybe they'll understand...if they read and absorb my knowledgeable and informative posts.
  • Options
    Come on Phillies...please keep on winning...I'm dyin' to start a "Say Hello..." thread. LOL

(yes, I have no life) LOL
  • Options
    That's what fans like Grote15 and WinPitcher don't understand - Yes, the Mets, and the Phillies have a high payroll now...but there's a difference between a player like most Mets players who have little heart and won't put in that extra effort to win, unlike the Phillies players who have the heart to win, and play through injuries, etc to help the team win.

Steve, I know you must be kidding, because I know you are smart enough not to believe that ridiculous BS..and despite the payroll, most of the Met starting 8 are home grown at this point..

Edit: Or wait, maybe it's the uniform colors that inspire these Philly players...or it's the shoes, yes, it must be the shoes...

And FWIW, the Phillies look a lot more like mercenaries these days than the Mets...

• Options
    Bandwagon?- I've been a Braves fan since before I could walk

Steve was referring to Swartzie, who only comes out of hiding once the Phillies have either a) won at least 7 straight or b) are in first place..

• Options

<< <i>That's what fans like Grote15 and WinPitcher don't understand - Yes, the Mets, and the Phillies have a high payroll now...but there's a difference between a player like most Mets players who have little heart and won't put in that extra effort to win, unlike the Phillies players who have the heart to win, and play through injuries, etc to help the team win.

Steve, I know you must be kidding, because I know you are smart enough not to believe that ridiculous BS..and despite the payroll, most of the Met starting 8 are home grown at this point..

Edit: Or wait, maybe it's the uniform colors that inspire these Philly players...or it's the shoes, yes, it must be the shoes...

And FWIW, the Phillies look a lot more like mercenaries these days than the Mets... >>

It's not the uniform colors or the shoes, it's the heart of the players.

Whatever your Mets have been doing for a number of years now, it ain't been working that's for sure.

What's the latest excuse by Mets fans for their Mets not winning? Pulled hamstring? Stubbed little toe? Bad hair day? ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...............
  • Options
    Yes - Steve likes to troll around...

- uncut

• Options
    I guess the 'truth' hurts.......

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    2 and a half months between posts = Bandwagon.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for doing the research and caring about me so much...

I guess if your team is horrible - start bashing others...

Please respond troll...or it will eat away at you...

- uncut

• Options
    That Brad Lidge sure is automatic, isn't he...

• Options
    Ryan "Ouch, my ankle hurts" Howard was helped off the field today in case no one noticed. The Braves announcers only mentioned it about 8 times during the Braves/Reds game.

• Options
    Only 2 games out.

Phillies have woken up and heading for a third straight World Series. image
  • Options
    Phils kickin' some Mets butt - I'm luvin' it.
  • Options
    fourth quarter touchdown. LOL
  • Options
    how about the extree point?
  • Options
    ahh, darn, missed the extree point. LOL
  • Options
    Phillies just have to run out the clock.
  • Options
    less than two minutes to go in the game.
  • Options
    30 seconds to go...the clock is running down.
  • Options
    15 seconds.
  • Options
    7 seconds
  • Options
    spoiled my fun. image
  • Options
    oh I'm sorry, i didn't notice the timeout.
  • Options
    clock set back to 7 seconds...............................
  • Options
    WTF was that?
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF was that? >>

lol, Romero thought it was a popup, I said out loud.... "what the hell are you looking at? he CRUSHED it!'
  • Options
    3 seconds
  • Options
    Now it would be nice to see a Braves loss and we can pickup a game.