Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies official 2010 season thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We got you right where we want you now.. >>

Mets as you know are already 5 "games" out, only 10 games played into the season! Almost hard to believe with a payroll the size of the Mets, I mean it's hard to believe - but a lot of season to play yet.

I can't see any team at this point having any chance to beat the Phillies in the NL East, barring a number of major injuries. But in my opinion even with the slow start, the Mets still have a chance at a wildcard. I think good Mets fans such as Grote15 and WinPitcher aren't throwing in the towel yet on the 2010 season.

• Options
    Are phillies fans excited to start the season and finally get to see a real mlb team in action tomorrow?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Are phillies fans excited to start the season and finally get to see a real mlb team in action tomorrow? >>

I thought the Phillies were playing the Braves tomorrow? image
  • Options

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>..... >>

Nice comeback win for the Braves. When the Braves are 5 - 10 games out in September, you can look back on this win and savor it as a highlight of the Braves 2010 season.
  • Options
    in all seriousness, you had better hope lidge comes back to 2008 form. i know the braves have some issues, but another dose of 2009 lidge and this season gets real interesting in the east.

imagey
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice comeback win for the Braves. When the Braves are 5 - 10 games out in September, you can look back on this win and savor it as a highlight of the Braves 2010 season. >>

Tough break for Kendrick. He pitched a helluva game. The Phillies need Romero back and to have Lidge return to "lights out" form -- if they do, this team will have no glaring weaknesses.

Also it was a tough night for Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants. Dude throws 7 innings of one-hit ball, strikes out 10, and loses 1-0.
  • Options
    Now that's more like it...when it comes to first place, I don't like to share. image
  • Options
    Phillies are SOLID!
    I dont see anyone challenging them until the WS...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    I don't wanna see any Mets fans posting in this thread until the Phillies are back in first place.

YA HEAR ME! image

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    It's not even Aug yet.
    Or july.
    or june.
    or even MAY.

• Options

<< <i>It's not even Aug yet.
    Or july.
    or june.
    or even MAY.

image >>

What me worry? LOL

The Phillies "always" seem to get off to a slow start in April, but this season I thought might be an exception.

You're right...it's not even May yet, so I ain't worried...yet.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is just too much fun. It's gonna be another great season for Phillies fans and I'm gonna savor every minute of it. >>

They better, especially with that vulgar payroll they have.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Oh and by the way:

New York 12 9 .571 -
    Philadelphia 11 9 .550 0.5
    Florida 11 10 .524 1.0
    Washington 11 10 .524 1.0
    Atlanta 8 12 .400 3.5

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meet the Mets!! image

Meet the Mets!! image

Step right up and greet the Mets!! image

Bring ya kiddies, bring ya wife...

Guaranteed by SteveK to have the time of your life!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote,

Mets fans have more class then to invade a Phillies thread with cheap shots.
    That would be like Red Sox fans invading Yankee threads with cheap shots. Very classless according to the board police.
    Please refrain from future temption, or he may scold you.

BTW....Lincecum spanked them good today, didn't he ?
  • Options

<< <i>Grote,

Mets fans have more class then to invade a Phillies thread with cheap shots.
    That would be like Red Sox fans invading Yankee threads with cheap shots. Very classless according to the board police.
    Please refrain from future temption, or he may scold you.

BTW....Lincecum spanked them good today, didn't he ? >>

I watched that mess, while I understand the move... if Linc is elite, he should be allowed to try to finish that game.

NICE win for the phillies, remove the taste of a bad west coast trip before coming home. They need to get HEALTHY.

PLEASE re-up Werth before SOX & Yanks get their hook into 'em!
  • Options
    Is this chirping I hear from Mets fans?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PLEASE re-up Werth before SOX & Yanks get their hook into 'em! >>

Yanks won't touch him unless he shaves.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PLEASE re-up Werth before SOX & Yanks get their hook into 'em! >>

Yanks won't touch him unless he shaves. >>

when steinbrenner dies, that rule goes with him.

they have no problems with signing steriod freaks and mercenaries to monster contracts, but facial hair is a no-no?

please.

btw, re: the sillies? goodbye Kendrick. back to AA where you belong.
  • Options
    Out of sheer pity for SteveK and his fellow Philly fans, I will bump this thread before it falls permanently to page 3 by the All Star Break, LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    heh. it is may. oops. sorry: still april 30th image

dont you realize, the mets can be in first place by 7 games with 12 to play and it still wont be an issue?
  • Options
    That was Ugly with a capital U
  • Options
    Now that's more like it!

Final GamedayAt BatBox
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    NYM
    (14-10) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1
    PHI
    (13-10) 0 0 0 6 2 0 2 0 X 10 13 1

W:Halladay (5-1, 1.47)L-Pelfrey (4-1, 2.40)
    HR-PHI-Victorino (4).
  • Options
    Santana on the hill tmmrw...I like our chances to take 2 of 3..

• Options
    Please say "Hello" to the NL East first place Philadelphia Phillies.

Back where we belong. image
  • Options
    DaBeefDaBeef Posts: 2,478
    Saw that inning they BLEW UP, wow ! What a lineup when they are on, they are ON. NEVER seen my boy Santana lit up like that. SICK !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Saw that inning they BLEW UP, wow ! What a lineup when they are on, they are ON. NEVER seen my boy Santana lit up like that. SICK ! >>

I love Santana, but you could tell his last year with the Twins that he wasn't what he was in 2004-2006. We were right to trade him...just made the wrong trade...not that Lester would look great in a Twins uniform. I'm not bitter.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Did you see that change up outside that Ryan Howard took to the opposite field? What power. Santana was a child out there.
  • Options
    I just saw on ebay today a large lot of Santana autographed memorabilia for a $1 "buy it now" price with free shipping, from a seller Grote15. I'm not sure if it's the same Grote15 who posts here or not?
  • Options
    [I just saw on ebay today a large lot of Santana autographed memorabilia for a $1 "buy it now" price with free shipping, from a seller Grote15. I'm not sure if it's the same Grote15 who posts here or not?

No, that's Jerry Grote, former catcher of the NY Mets...my name is Steve Grote...image

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Heh. Love it.

Best time that I have spent in Philly in many years. Lucky enough to be working here for a few months. I eat lunch a couple times a week at a place that Moyer frequents. He's always gone just before I get there. The waitress is a Mets fan. Came close to having to serve her lunch if they took the series. A fun bet but I would have also had to wear her getup of an apron and tight shirt advertising the joint.

Cards will be the test this week. They actually have some real pitching.
  • Options
    any of you philly fans follow mma?

imagey
  • Options
    Now that's lookin' a lot better. image

Philadelphia 17 11 .607 - 8-5 9-6 152 113 +39 Won 3 6-4
    Washington 15 13 .536 2 9-7 6-6 119 136 -17 Won 1 6-4
    NY Mets 15 13 .536 2 11-5 4-8 121 106 +15 Lost 1 6-4
    Florida 13 15 .464 4 7-9 6-6 134 132 +2 Lost 3 3-7
    Atlanta 12 16 .429 5 8-4 4-12 114 120 -6 Lost 1 4-6
  • Options

<< <i>Heh. Love it.

Best time that I have spent in Philly in many years. Lucky enough to be working here for a few months. I eat lunch a couple times a week at a place that Moyer frequents. He's always gone just before I get there. The waitress is a Mets fan. Came close to having to serve her lunch if they took the series. A fun bet but I would have also had to wear her getup of an apron and tight shirt advertising the joint.

Cards will be the test this week. They actually have some real pitching. >>

The Cardinals were a test and the Phillies received an A on the test.

The Cardinals received a D

• Options
    Phillies' Jamie Moyer, 47, becomes majors' oldest to toss shutout | MLB

Jamie Moyer, 47, tossed a two-hitter to become the oldest player in major-league history to throw a shutout, as the Philadelphia Phillies beat Atlanta 7-0.

By ROB MAADDI
    The Associated Press

Jamie Moyer earned his 262nd career victory.

PHILADELPHIA — This ol' man has plenty left in his pitching arm.

Forty-seven-year-old Jamie Moyer tossed a two-hitter to become the oldest player in major-league history to throw a shutout, as the Philadelphia Phillies beat Atlanta 7-0 Friday night.

Moyer's shutout came at 47 years, 170 days old. Phil Niekro was the previous oldest at 46 years, 188 days when he tossed a four-hitter for the Yankees against Toronto in 1986.

"Cool, just doing my job," the former Mariner said when told of his accomplishment. "I changed speeds pretty well, kept the ball down and got ahead in counts."

Moyer (4-2) faced one batter over the minimum in his 262nd career victory. The soft-tossing left-hander baffled Braves hitters with a low-80s fastball and pinpoint control.

"Jamie carved us tonight," Atlanta's Chipper Jones said. "The guy is 87 years old, and he's still pitching for a reason. He stays off the barrel (of the bat). He changes speeds, changes the game plan, keeps you guessing."

A sellout crowd at Citizens Bank Park gave Moyer a standing ovation when he stepped into the batter's box in the eighth inning. They roared when he fouled off several pitches, and gave him another loud ovation after he completed an 11-pitch at-bat by fouling out to left field.

"This kind of stuff pushes me," Moyer said. "This is what it's about."
  • Options

He had a 3 pitch 2cd inning!!!!!!
  • Options
    Washington in second place in the NL East?

Perhaps there needs to be an investigation. LOL
  • Options
    National League
    EAST W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10
    Philadelphia 22 13 .629 - 10-6 12-7 196 140 +56 Won 2 8-2
    Florida 20 18 .526 3.5 11-9 9-9 180 166 +14 Won 4 7-3
    Washington 20 18 .526 3.5 11-8 9-10 164 178 -14 Lost 3 5-5
    Atlanta 18 19 .486 5 10-5 8-14 169 157 +12 Won 1 6-4
    NY Mets 18 20 .474 5.5 14-8 4-12 167 161 +6 Lost 5 3-7
  • Options
    Where'd all dem Mets fans get to?
  • Options
    Philadelphia Phillies with the best record in the National League.

The Golden Era of the Philadelphia Phillies in MLB is upon us.
  • Options
    October is less than five months away, and this season we fear no junior circuit team.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Guess who is BACK !!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Guess who is BACK !!!

Bandwagon fans like you?

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Grote-

Sorry, I've been offline for a few weeks, but I'm back now. I see your Mets are already in last place. Pitching is much improved, but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. For your sake, maybe the owner will get rid of your horrible GM before the all-star break. Its not Jerry Manuel's fault, its your GM that sucks.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Grote-

Sorry, I've been offline for a few weeks, but I'm back now. I see your Mets are already in last place. Pitching is much improved, but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. For your sake, maybe the owner will get rid of your horrible GM before the all-star break. Its not Jerry Manuel's fault, its your GM that sucks.

We are in last place, true, but only a game under .500, so all hope is not yet lost. Too bad we can't play the Braves every weekend, as we've owned you guys.

Minaya needs to go...I like Manuel but would love to see Valentine back at the helm, though not sure what his relationship is like with the Wilpons at this point.

Edit: The starting pitching is still in shambles, though, after Santana and Pelfry (who's been a very pleasant surprise). The 3rd through 5th starters are basically a total crapshoot at this point, and Minaya is to blame for that as far as I'm concerned, as he made no effort to sign Pineiro who he could have gotten for a very reasonable amount in the offseason.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Grote-

We are in last place, true, but only a game under .500, so all hope is not yet lost. Too bad we can't play the Braves every weekend, as we've owned you guys.

Minaya needs to go...I like Manuel but would love to see Valentine back at the helm, though not sure what his relationship is like with the Wilpons at this point.

Edit: The starting pitching is still in shambles, though, after Santana and Pelfry (who's been a very pleasant surprise). The 3rd through 5th starters are basically a total crapshoot at this point, and Minaya is to blame for that as far as I'm concerned, as he made no effort to sign Pineiro who he could have gotten for a very reasonable amount in the offseason. >>

For what its worth, I've always believed that Pelfrey would eventually put it all together. His stuff is just too good. I also think you've got a great #3 in Niese, when he comes back from injury. Beyond that, you've got garbage. If only this year's John Maine was the John Maine of 07 or 08, then you'd have a very solid staff. What the heck happened to that guy?

As for the Braves, its been odd so far. We've taken in on the chin from the Phils and the Mets, but have played well against the NL Central and West. Our pitching is not as well as I expected this year. Kawakami is 0-6, Jurrjens is back on the DL, and Hanson hasn't been Hanson. As of today, Hudson is the ace of the staff. Unless the offense picks up, this looks like another 3rd place team to me. Sparks here and there, but not enough to compete with Phili this year.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    For what its worth, I've always believed that Pelfrey would eventually put it all together. His stuff is just too good. I also think you've got a great #3 in Niese, when he comes back from injury. Beyond that, you've got garbage. If only this year's John Maine was the John Maine of 07 or 08, then you'd have a very solid staff. What the heck happened to that guy?

As for the Braves, its been odd so far. We've taken in on the chin from the Phils and the Mets, but have played well against the NL Central and West. Our pitching is not as well as I expected this year. Kawakami is 0-6, Jurrjens is back on the DL, and Hanson hasn't been Hanson. As of today, Hudson is the ace of the staff. Unless the offense picks up, this looks like another 3rd place team to me. Sparks here and there, but not enough to compete with Phili this year.

-Michael

Excellent assessment, and I agree with you 100%. Hanson has been a disappointment so far this season, but he is too good not to get much better. I'd say that with your front office and our payroll, we could put together a winner. image

Edit: also, whatever happened with Nate McLouth? I drafted him for my fantasy baseball team but have since released him...I thought he'd have a big year but he seems overwhelmed at this point.

• Options
    a question for Mets fans...In a 5 team division, is it possible to finish in worse than 5th place? Seriously, I'm just wondering that, i've never been very good with math.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a question for Mets fans...In a 5 team division, is it possible to finish in worse than 5th place? Seriously, I'm just wondering that, i've never been very good with math. >>

The way things are going, every team in that division will finish at .500.

Oh, and 100! image