Options

Philadelphia Phillies official 2010 season thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve,

Don't overlook the Reds. Volquez, Arroyo and Cueto are going to be tough. Defintely going to be tough against the Phiilies SP's. Remember the last time we played in that 4 game series, I believe we went to extra innings in all four games.

Mark >>

Mark - I agree with ya - I don't take anything for granted in a short series...could go either way.

I'd wish your Reds "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image

Frankly, any other team winning but the Braves doesn't bother me, and I'm looking forward to some great post season MLB. >>

Steve,

Best of luck to you as well. Obviously I am pulling for the Reds but I wouldn't be disappointed with the Phillies winning another one. Philly is a great sports town with a ton of bad luck. I wouldn't have an issue with the Braves winning either. I like Bobby Cox and think the Braves have been a class organization the last 20 years.

I just pray if the Reds are nursing a lead in the 9th, we put Chapman in. I think it will be lights out. If Cordero goes in, well........who knows what is going to happen.

I will be recording the game tomorrow. I won't get home until after 6. I just love the MLB postseason, especially when the Reds are in. Although I can't stand to listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Both are overrated and get on my nerves. Give me Marty and Joe any day.

Mark

Mark >>

Your team will be tough, no doubt about it...they are not the "Big Red Machine" but how many teams are? That was certainly one of the top teams in MLB history, and the Phillies were fortunate enough to have some of those players, including of course Pete Rose, play for the Phillies in later years. In my opinion, the Phillies would not have won a championship in 1980 without Pete Rose on that team...but I would never think of Pete as anything other than a Cincinnati Red.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Dangit.......

Halladay pitched a brilliant game. The Reds looked confused and scared at the plate. I sure didn't see that coming. Well, we have to win Friday or it will be over.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    What a performance by Mr. Halladay.

Dam, it's a great time to be a Phillies fan.
  • Options
    I am at least happy for Halladay. He is such a class act.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for SteveK to somehow give Ryan Howard the lions share of the credit for his team's victory, LOL....just like he has already given Howard for the REgular season, even though guys like Halladay are the real reason why the Phils are where they are at...yet Howard gets an inappropriate amount of credit for his teammates success.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    another howard hater.

good lord, give it a rest.
  • Options
    No, just applying fairness and objectiveness in the sporting world...something that is sorely needed.

Remember, for every guy that is 'over rated', that means someone else is being 'under rated'...those guys need a voice.

Sticking up for the Utley's, Grich's, Singleton's, and Dewey Evans of the world...one post at a time!

• Options

<< <i>I am at least happy for Halladay. He is such a class act. >>

Thanks Mark, and you're right...the Reds must win the next game or it's basically over...but the Reds are capable of doing it.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That was a fun last couple of innings to watch. Congrats,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Remember, for every guy that is 'over rated', that means someone else is being 'under rated'...those guys need a voice.

>>

Newton's Laws do not apply here.

Some teams just suck.
  • Options
    The Reds has had Oswalts # this year even though he has been something like 20-1 over the last 10. Arroyo has been our most consistent pitcher so I give us a good shot on Friday. Going back to Cincy we will have to face Hamels first. The question is which Hamels is going to show up. Then we will get Halladay again. If it goes to 4 games, I don't see Volquez pitching. I bet Dusty will put Travis Wood in.

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    Aroldis who??
  • Options
    Aw heck.....Utley didn't get hit, he was out a second and he didn't touch third. I am a Reds fan though and maybe I just saw it that way.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Up 2 - 0

Looking good for this series.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Winpitcher, I initially wrote the descent to Kingman post in July of 2009 >>

Whatever you say Skippy.

It was in 08, IIRC.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Howard has had ONE HOF type season fellas... >>

Fail.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Winpitcher, when you say 'fail', you act is if you know something. You continue to to look past the RBI opportunities with Howard...despite you saying that you understand. If you really did understand, you wouldn't be making such comments with Howard...you would recognize HIS contribution as a hitter, as opposed to measuring his teammates.

You are the guy who wrote that first grade analysis saying that Robin Yount didn't belong in the HOF...and you also believe Jack Morris pitches to the score.

You are also the guy who adheres to the analytical method that puts Dave Kingman on par with Honus Wagner!

Howard is heading there fast, and the timeline is outlined above. Of course, guys like you won't be able to see some things, because the RBI opportunties will fool you...the ballpark effect will fool you...and the era's will fool you.

Yeah, I guess depending where you draw the line for what is considered a HOF season, you could count one more for him. But he is done with seasons like that, and from here on out there will be more Kingman type seasons to come. This year with an OPS+ of 128, it is pretty darn close to Kingman's 1976 OPS+ of 128. The difference is the lineup. He is entering the Kingman highway....and for Howard it won't be good. The Phillies may survive by buying more players though.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Howard has had ONE HOF type season fellas... >>

Fail.

Steve >>

WinPitcher is correct and it's not even remotely debatable. Whenever a player has a season when he is in around the top 5 in MVP voting...that has to be called a HOF type season, and if a player has enough of them, then he gets in the Hall of Fame. Ryan Howard has been in the top 5 in MVP voting in count 'em, 4 out of the past 4 seasons. Case closed and sealed without need for further debate.
  • Options
    Nah,

MVP voting is another teammate example(also voted on by baseball ignoramouses)...not isolating Howard's ability...but nice try.
  • Options

<< <i>You are the guy who wrote that first grade analysis saying that Robin Yount didn't belong in the HOF...and you also believe Jack Morris pitches to the score. You are also the guy who adheres to the analytical method that puts Dave Kingman on par with Honus Wagner! >>

Skippy

Let's see some links, until then you are FOS.

And it was 3 years ago that you posted about Howard morphing into the next Kingman.

That is why I asked the same question at the END of last season and your lame reply was

his World Series play.

Stop saying what I think. You really appear stupid saying such things.

Saying 'appear' is giving you the benefit of the doubt.

lets give it a rest ok?

Link us to the above BS and a link to your Howard diatribe that was supposedly last July.

1.......... I never wrote an analysis about Yount. Your mensa brain has me confused with some one else.

2....For now the 11th time, I do not believe Morris pitched to the score, I'm not going to say what I believe again, it can be found above.

(Surely you can't be this thick)?

3......WTF are you talking about?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Nah,

MVP voting is another teammate example(also voted on by baseball ignoramouses)...not isolating Howard's ability...but nice try. >>

When it comes to baseball knowledge, I'll take WinPitcher over you any day of the week, and I'll take the MVP voters over you as well...and that's not debatable either. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just waiting for SteveK to somehow give Ryan Howard the lions share of the credit for his team's victory, LOL. >>

Instead of acting like you know it all, and what people think Skippy, you should for once step back and think before you act like a blow hard.

SteveK NEVER gave Howard the lions share of the credit for the Phillies winning the past 3 or 4 seasons. What he has done is defend him

against your non stop badgering about what you believe regarding Howard. You did the same thing with Justin.

Step back, allow others an opinion, not everyone adheres to the advanced metrics that you hold so high.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    NLCS...here we come. image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    These Phillies are pretty good.

Walt
  • Options
    Winpitcher,

Sorry man, you HAVE defended pitching to the score.

SteveK has indeed given Howard the Lions share of the credit, and proclaims him to be better than superior players.

SteveK, it doesn't matter who's knowledge you would take...because obviously, whomever's you took in the past led you to lose all your money gambling...therefore your word is meaningless, LOL.

Winpitcher, it isn't just metrics, it is logic, common sense, and looking at what actually occured instead of making inaccurate assumptions(when the information is right there telling you different).

The bottom line is that Howard is not as good as his RBI totals lead some to believe....and that he is not as good as people believe just because his teammates are so good and allow them to have great records and do well in the post season.

Guys like Winpitcher or SteveK get fooled by these two things, and think Howard must be better than a player whom he has more RBI than, and who isn't in the post season.

I'm pretty sure you guys are thinking that Howard is better than Votto right about now.

• Options

<< <i>Winpitcher,

Sorry man, you HAVE defended pitching to the score.

SteveK has indeed given Howard the Lions share of the credit, and proclaims him to be better than superior players.

SteveK, it doesn't matter who's knowledge you would take...because obviously, whomever's you took in the past led you to lose all your money gambling...therefore your word is meaningless, LOL.

Winpitcher, it isn't just metrics, it is logic, common sense, and looking at what actually occured instead of making inaccurate assumptions(when the information is right there telling you different).

The bottom line is that Howard is not as good as his RBI totals lead some to believe....and that he is not as good as people believe just because his teammates are so good and allow them to have great records and do well in the post season.

Guys like Winpitcher or SteveK get fooled by these two things, and think Howard must be better than a player whom he has more RBI than, and who isn't in the post season.

I'm pretty sure you guys are thinking that Howard is better than Votto right about now. >>

• Options
    There is the answer, LOL
  • Options

Joey Votto has a 1 PM tee time, right after he cleans out his locker.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Joey Votto has a 1 PM tee time, right after he cleans out his locker. >>

Yes, he does...and it is irrelevant when discussing the merits of individual players.

Howard will keep playing(thanks to Halladay and Hamels). Howard may eventually contribute something in the second round though...he has been a good player...and is fortunate enough to have great teammates to make him look better than he really is.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Joey Votto has a 1 PM tee time, right after he cleans out his locker. >>

Yes, he does...and it is irrelevant when discussing the merits of individual players.

>>

You are irrelevant when discussing the Phillies success this season.

Find another board Skinidiot.
  • Options
    Then why reply?

I know logic and common sense can be difficult sometimes...especially when it comes to a hero...but the truth still stands there my friend. The Phillies are a great team. Howard is a good player....better than average...not in the elite company of the league.
  • Options

<< <i>Then why reply?

I know logic and common sense can be difficult sometimes...especially when it comes to a hero...but the truth still stands there my friend. The Phillies are a great team. Howard is a good player....better than average...not in the elite company of the league. >>

This thread is not about your endless quest to prove yourself a master swordsman through a message board.

So start another of your own as you always do.

I suggest creating yet another alt also.

This time call yourself "The Bloviator."
  • Options
    Nah.
  • Options
    Well at least Saberman called the Phillies a "great team"...so even though he's clueless about many things, he got that right...probably similar to the "stopped clock" old saying. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Then why reply?

I know logic and common sense can be difficult sometimes...especially when it comes to a hero...but the truth still stands there my friend. The Phillies are a great team. Howard is a good player....better than average...not in the elite company of the league. >>

This thread is not about your endless quest to prove yourself a master swordsman through a message board.

So start another of your own as you always do.

I suggest creating yet another alt also.

This time call yourself "The Bloviator." >>

You're right Keith - Saberman is hereby barred from further commentary in this thread, otherwise if he does not harken this decree, from this day forward he will be known forevermore as a troll.
  • Options
    SteveK,

The Phils are a great team, with a good hitting first baseman(who will soon be a liability). Unless Howard is your husband, that shouldn't bother you as much as it does, since the Phillies are quite good.

As for Winpitcher, he shouldn't be getting upset at anything I say, because he is the guy that says that everyone has a right to an opinion...yet he is harping on Howard turning into Kingman. So what is it, everyone is entitled to an opinion, or not?

Soflphillyfan...don't even know who you are, sorry buddy...don't think we ever exchanged before the post a few above.

Edited: removed a little overboardness/harshness...as this should be fun.

• Options
    Less than 19 hours to post time.

I didn't Google it, but I can't recall the last time a NL team was in the World Series 3 consecutive years. May have been the Big Red Machine, could have been the Braves - not sure. In any event, i'm not counting any chickens - the Giants will be tough, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I didn't Google it, but I can't recall the last time a NL team was in the World Series 3 consecutive years. May have been the Big Red Machine, could have been the Braves - not sure. >>

Last time an NL team pulled of a streak of 3 WS appearances was the 1942-1944 Cardinals.

<< <i>In any event, i'm not counting any chickens - the Giants will be tough, no doubt about it. >>

As a team, the Giants hitters only struggle against 2 types of pitchers... righties and lefties.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't Google it, but I can't recall the last time a NL team was in the World Series 3 consecutive years. May have been the Big Red Machine, could have been the Braves - not sure. >>

Last time an NL team pulled of a streak of 3 WS appearances was the 1942-1944 Cardinals.

<< <i>In any event, i'm not counting any chickens - the Giants will be tough, no doubt about it. >>

As a team, the Giants hitters only struggle against 2 types of pitchers... righties and lefties. >>

<<< WTB: 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 6, pm me if you're selling >>>

If you're a Roberto Clemente fan then you probably know about the 1960 WS whereby much superior hitting from the Yankees didn't win the Yankees the WS against the Pirates, so ya never know what may happen in a 7 game series. The Phillies did have some stretches this season when they couldn't even hit batting practice pitching.

Thanks for the info on the 1942-1944 Cardinals.

• Options

<< <i>If you're a Roberto Clemente fan then you probably know about the 1960 WS whereby much superior hitting from the Yankees didn't win the Yankees the WS against the Pirates, so ya never know what may happen in a 7 game series. The Phillies did have some stretches this season when they couldn't even hit batting practice pitching. >>

I'm not a Roberto Clemente fan, but I am a fan of Hall of Famer rookie cards. Clemente's just the one that's at the top of my want list right now. image

Anything's possible. Baseball history is full of forgettable guys who went on to do clutch things over a small stretch of games.

In the Giants end of the NLDS, that man was Cody Ross, a guy who was picked up ONLY to keep other NL West teams from getting him, and got the starting job because it was better to have a live human standing in right field, as opposed to Jose Guillen, who's a corpse who moves around only when the maggots get restless.

• Options
    Heh, ironic that I was talking about Cody Ross this morning!

• Options
    bad start
  • Options
    Phils fans may have been a little tough on Timmy last night.

• Options

<< <i>Phils fans may have been a little tough on Timmy last night. >>

On the catcalls from the Phillies fans, Lincecum said "I was thinking, 'I must have a really nice butt'"

One of the Giants beat reporters tweated: "Phillies fans are whisting at Lincecum because he has long hair. What is this, prison?"

• Options

<< <i>Phils fans may have been a little tough on Timmy last night.

image >>

Wanna Smoke? No thanks, I'll just smoke through your teams lineup for a win. How many of those fans are smiling this morning?
  • Options

Crowd could be tougher tonight.

Eagles playing at 1PM next door.

A lot of people will be doing double duty and tailgating in between.
  • Options
    Could have gone either way.

San Francisco IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Lincecum(W, 1-0) 7.0 6 3 3 3 8 2 3.86

Philadelphia IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Halladay(L, 0-1) 7.0 8 4 4 0 7 2 5.14
  • Options
    Philadelphia fans need to remember that there is a direct correlation between fan toughness and home team victories...unless you are hoarse the next morning from cheering during the game...then ya haven't done enough. image
  • Options
    As usual the hometown trash came out in droves.