Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies official 2010 season thread

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a question for Mets fans...In a 5 team division, is it possible to finish in worse than 5th place? Seriously, I'm just wondering that, i've never been very good with math.

Not sure about that, but I do know that if the Phils had to keep playing the Sox or the AL East, they'd be finishing well below .500, if that helps answering your question.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a question for Mets fans...In a 5 team division, is it possible to finish in worse than 5th place? Seriously, I'm just wondering that, i've never been very good with math.

Not sure about that, but I do know that if the Phils had to keep playing the Sox or the AL East, they'd be finishing well below .500, if that helps answering your question. >>

• Options
    I heard a rumor that all the Phillies bats have a hole in them on the sweet spot...anyone knwo if this is true? If so, that's just not fair...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard a rumor that all the Phillies bats have a hole in them on the sweet spot...anyone knwo if this is true? If so, that's just not fair...image >>

That was not funny. image
  • Options
    As punishment for the Phillies losing to the Mets, my cat Fluffy isn't gonna get her cat food tonight...How's that make you feel Mets fans causing my cat to go hungry?
  • Options
    National League
    EAST W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10
    Philadelphia 26 19 .578 - 13-10 13-9 227 181 +46 Lost 4 4-6
    Atlanta 24 22 .522 2.5 13-6 11-16 213 189 +24 Won 1 7-3
    Florida 24 23 .511 3 13-11 11-12 219 199 +20 Lost 1 5-5
    Washington 24 23 .511 3 14-10 10-13 203 221 -18 Won 1 4-6
    NY Mets 24 23 .511 3 18-9 6-14 210 187 +23 Won 4 6-4

Still looking good - although not as good as a short while ago.

I ain't the least bit worried. I even fed Fluffy this morning. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

The total runs the Phillies have scored in the first two games is ..........
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Phillies still in the lead, but I've renewed my prescription of nitroclycerine pills.
  • Options
    Steve, What happened to the season being over in May??? image

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah what the hell is going on here? The mighty Sillies can't scratch out a run to the lowly Stems?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah what the hell is going on here? The mighty Sillies can't scratch out a run to the lowly Stems?

Steve >>

I've asked for a Congressional investigation of this series...the Mets pitchers must have been throwing golf balls instead of baseballs...I think a slow motion replay of the game tapes will show this.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, What happened to the season being over in May??? image >>

I meant to say June. image
  • Options
    one day and all the chirpin' from Mets fans is gone?
  • Options
    Seriously, the Mets are playing decent because nobody here began an official "Mets will win the NL East" thread - without a jinx such as that, the Mets might turn out to be competitive all season.
  • Options
    PERFECT
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Are the Phillies ever going to remember how to hit again? This is a truly embarrassing offensive drought, and even with the injuries they still have too much talent in that lineup to be this bad this long.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭
    Stevek- Are your Phillies ready to face the music? Here's a couple of observations heading into this week-

1) The Phils lead has shrunk to a 0.5 game over the Braves
    2) The Braves are the hottest team in MLB over the last 2 weeks (8-2)
    3) The Phills are traveling to Atlanta for a 3 game series beginning Monday
    4) Halladay won't be pitching in that series. Will anyone else step up or is this a 1-man staff? Blanton and Kendrick have both been terrible this season. This will be an opportunity for both of them to prove they actually belong in a rotation for a contending team.

Either team could make a strong statement toward where the power lies in this division on M/T/W. If the Phils come in and win 2 of 3 in Atlanta, then enough said. However, if Atlanta stays hot and wins this series, that could add fuel to the fire of the Braves recent winning streak and create some lasting momentum.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention that the Phillies are apparently facing Koufax in every game they play.
  • Options
    Hard to believe how badly the Phillies are playing....but lots of season to go yet.

No reason to panic.

The Phillies will win the NL East...but it looks as though it might be more difficult than I originally thought.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Dear Brian,

Ruben's busy and asked me to respond.

F you.

Sincerely,

Charlie
  • Options
    Ya gotta like "Charlie" image
  • Options
    It is somewhat of an honor to have all these MLB executives posting on CU Sports Talk.
  • Options

<< <i>Dear Ruben

Charlie's unprofessional behavior in this serious matter has been duly noted. I am compelled to state that dealing with Scott Boras has been more pleasurable than this experience. However, for the sake of professionalism, I will allow your organization one last chance to accept my original offer which I hope you can agree, upon reflection, is very generous on the part of the Yankee organization.

Disrespectfully Yours,
    Brian Cashman >>

Dear Brian:

Generous is for sissies.

F your family too.

Sincerely,
    Charlie
  • Options
    Including the pets? image
  • Options

<< <i>Including the pets? image >>

Especially the pets.

That dog will never look at the family in the same light again.

"Daddy, what's wrong with Fido?"

Howard Eskin gets it next.
  • Options
    Too bad Phils can't run Halladay out there every other night...Hamels sure looked sharp tonight, though..

• Options
    look at the bright side, before tonights games, you are only two games back in the wild card standings.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    This is becoming a little bit unfunny now...Charlie may need to go into the clubhouse and kick a few keisters, ask one of his favorites to initiate a clubhouse fight...something...to get the adrenaline going again...this team looks like the walking dead out there. The Phillies are too good to be playing this bad. Come on Charlie, let's do something already!
  • Options
    Dear Shane, Jason, Ryan, uhhh all you non hittin' SOBs -

Get on the stick or I'm comin' to your house and violate your pets, West Virginny style.

Sincerely,
    Chollie
  • Options
    Ya hate to say it because ya hope it never happens to your team, but after back to back WS appearances and a championship, and seemingly breezing this season, the team seems to have gotten complacent, resting on their laurels so to speak, and that is deadly to a winning team - that attitude, if it exists, needs to be eliminated ASAP.
  • Options
    Thank goodness for Doc - the way the Phillies are hitting, the rest of the days pray for rain. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Cause = Stupid Ruben gives not-a-superstar player $125M contract over five years two seasons prior to his contract expiration >>

Nah, the Sillies have the brightest front office.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya hate to say it because ya hope it never happens to your team, but after back to back WS appearances and a championship, and seemingly breezing this season, the team seems to have gotten complacent, resting on their laurels so to speak, and that is deadly to a winning team - that attitude, if it exists, needs to be eliminated ASAP. >>

When exactly were the Phillies "seemingly breezing this season"? I don't remember that stretch.

And, lets be honest, the Phillies have played against some hot teams over the past month. You played the Braves when they were on fire, then you got the Mets as they were turning things around, and you even got the BoSox as they were getting hot too. The Phillies losing isn't only about how the Phillies are playing.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LOL, that's one of SteveK's younger students in his summer school class "Booing and Battery Hurling 101: An Introduction to Life as Philly Fan (Vomiting Optional)" image

• Options
    I'm not sure that is a beer bottle unless there is a still closeup of a label on the bottle...there are some regular soft drinks sold with all sorts of bottle shapes these days. I don't buy chocolate milk...but I think I've seen chocolate milk bottles in shapes like that sold at the food stores. I'll stand corrected if it has been verified that was definitely a beer bottle.

If it was beer, then it's a very repugnant and unacceptable situation, and of course illegal.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Really?? You've never seen the back of a Miller Lite (or Bud Light) bottle before? Come on buddy, you can't be in that much denial. Chocolate milk?? lol
  • Options

<< <i>Really?? You've never seen the back of a Miller Lite (or Bud Light) bottle before? Come on buddy, you can't be in that much denial. Chocolate milk?? lol >>

chocolate milk bottle images

I think it would be easy at that distance to mistake a beer bottle for a chocolate milk bottle with the label peeled off, and kids tend to pick at and peel the labels off bottles when they are bored, say at a baseball game.
  • Options
    Also might have been a root beer bottle.

root beer bottle images
  • Options
    I'm just surprised the camera didn't catch the kid giving the photographer the finger, too. seeing he was wearing a Philly uni and all..

• Options
    There's another video angle I just watched, it does appear to be a beer bottle...oh well.......
  • Options
    Chocolate milk? Stevek you can do better than that.

Kids In NY don't act that way, that is for sure.

The parents are probably long time Phillies fans too.

I'm appalled at such behaviour.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Maybe the mother filled the beer bottle with breast milk and added some bosco?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Oh and the Philadelphia Mint sucks too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Chocolate milk? Stevek you can do better than that.

Kids In NY don't act that way, that is for sure.

The parents are probably long time Phillies fans too.

I'm appalled at such behaviour.

Steve >>

<<< Kids In NY don't act that way, that is for sure. >>>

You're right - in NY it woulda been a whiskey bottle.

• Options

<< <i>Oh and the Philadelphia Mint sucks too.

Steve >>

At least we have a Mint...so there!
  • Options
    Umm ever hear of the West Point (branch) mint?

They make Gold coin there.

lol @ whiskey comment.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    West Point Mint Facility

Located near the U.S. Military Academy in New York state, the United States Mint at West Point manufactures the entire family of American Eagle proof and uncirculated coins in gold, silver, and platinum. The gold and platinum coins are manufactured in denominations of one-ounce, half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth -ounce. Silver bullion coins are manufactured in one-ounce denomination.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>West Point Mint Facility

Located near the U.S. Military Academy in New York state, the United States Mint at West Point manufactures the entire family of American Eagle proof and uncirculated coins in gold, silver, and platinum. The gold and platinum coins are manufactured in denominations of one-ounce, half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth -ounce. Silver bullion coins are manufactured in one-ounce denomination.

Steve >>

LOL - illustrates how much I've been coin collecting the past few decades...although I have been getting back into it buying some proof sets and type coins. Your Mint is a "wimpy" Mint though not producing any coins for general circulation...My Mint is better than your Mint - so there! image
  • Options
    For circulation? When was the last time you received any 09's and 10's coinage in change?

A cent here and there......maybe.

Go to a bank and ask for some and let me know how that works out.

Steve
    Good for you.