Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS and NGC are joining forces.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Recapping:
    The Big One has to solve a problem.
    It has to generate new revenue for the Brand.
    It has to be smoothly implemented.
    It has to protect public confidence in grading services.
    It has to protect and promote investment in numismatics in general.
    It has to make us feel like we're getting "A Gift With Purchase".

Remember:
    New Coke.
    Blowing up Jack.

Godspeed you, PCGS
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    You can rule out PCGS selling slabbed coins in any way as this would be a HUGE conflict of interest.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem there is in collecting, buying/selling valuable coins today is the over-hanging issue of the rampant supply of high quality fakes. We all are aware of this hobby-changing issue that PCGS will announce a solution to the coin collecting world on March 26, 2010 in Ft. Worth ANA convention. PCGS has had to stay ahead of this real threat to tne numismatic world. I would say that the PCGS researchers have devised a method to carbon date the patricular metal of the coin they will be grading later in 2010. And/or determine what year the coin was struck. Now, PCGS will be the leader in authenicating rare coins and guaranteeing their value. Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will offer IRA accounts so we can all rollover our retirement plans into PCGS accounts where we can buy PCGS only coins.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pendragon1998........................
    The holders with prongs are obsolete.
    Once you've seen this holder
    you'll wish the big 2 had it.
    This uses mirrored plastic on an angle to show the edge.

Ray >>

One of the coolest new developments I saw at FUN. It's actually a mirrored prism ring. They kept telling me they had a patent on it, but I couldn't find it, and don't remember the name of the people that designed it, so my search was limited. Perhaps the patent hasn't yet been issued or published, but if PCGS were to buy or license it, nobody would want anything in an NGC fang holder ever again.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a new slab. One with 360-degree viewing, full edges, optically perfect, airtight, vacuum-sealed, with a security device only PCGS can decrypt.

Wait...PCGS buys MMNS and gets this technology. (Thanks for the pointer, Ray!)
    Lance.

• Options
    PCGS will open a facility on the east coast, most likely in Baltimore.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest threat to numismatics is counterfeits.

The "Big One" will hopefully be a scientific advancement in AUTHENTICATION.
    NOTHING else would be "big", in my opinion.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS will start grading D. Carr Ameros.

Joe >>

Slab or bag ??:
    image >>

Dang, that is gorgeous, wish the Mint could design again like that.

Slabbed of course.

Joe
  • Options
    Has PCGS developed some method where Small-angle X-ray scattering technology or something along those lines can be 100% accurate at detecting AT, altered surfaces, and maybe even counterfeits?
    Bob

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I suspect that whatever it is, it will encourage the resubmission of all PCGS coins currently on the market.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect that whatever it is, it will encourage the resubmission of all PCGS coins currently on the market. >>

...Such is the nature of revolutionary improvements.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Guess No. 1: Open an auction or related coin exchange/sale operation for PCGS graded/Genuine coins and will become the largest facilitator of the sale of seller PCGS graded/Genuine coins.

Guess No. 2: Same as #1 plus the most extensive information of any seller regarding each particular coin being sold/exchanged.

Guess No. 3: A division for assisting in putting the evidence together to remove counterfeits from the market.

Guess No. 4: PCGS will release the most comprehensive set of numismatic literature, ever and be the largest publisher of the same.

Guess No. 5: PCGS will be a major player in the show promotion business nation-wide.

Guess No. 6: PCGS will announce a dealer certification process.

Guess No. 7: PCGS will offer classes in grading and authentication.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS will release their own version of a redbook with current prices, historical prices, mintages, surviving populations and numbers graded.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has partered with the mint, and instead of destroying errors, they are encapsulated by PCGS and sold to the public, thus generating profit for both PCGS and the US Government?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has contracted with the US mint to remake all the circulating coinage in zinc saving
    billions for the government and generating billions of dollars for the treasury. First strikes
    of each new coin will go straight to PCGS for encapsulation generating millions for PCGS.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The People's Republic Of California's excessive taxation on businesses has finally made it impossible to do business there. PCGS will now relocate to Carson City Nevada.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these are good ideas and good guesses, especially since I was thinking of them, too.

I have to agree that it is all great research for the next, next big one. PCGS already owes us each $1000.

this is a follow on to other posted ideas ::

PCGS has developed a product which will allow coin owners to scan their coins, encapsulated or not, into an online coin collection thus allowing for authentication, variety detection and verification, pre-grading, virtual coin shows, and easier theft reporting ... etc., so forth and so on, yadda yadda yadda (this covers the big one if it hasn't been yet), and lots of surprises.

Thank you for your support.
    {and check(s)}

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    We don't need no businesses here in California, except coin stores, pawn shops
    and auction houses. We all live out here on promises and dreams ,don't
    you know. Dreams of pristine, original , lustrous coins ,all rare and by the roll.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image....A newly designed holder to reduce/stop spotting,toning,and other damage after it is in slab.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reason I posted earlier about an east coast PCGS branch has to do with their biggest competition. I'm an east coaster and there have been times, especially trying to get new graded moderns into the market, where I have had to use the competition for quicker turnaround, especially through the mail. The lower sales prices are sometimes worth it with stuff that drops quickly in price. With PCGS's recent switch to priority shipping, I figure they're going after the competition. What better way to supplement the priority mail switch than with an east coast branch of PCGS.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS signed Ken Burns to film a coin documentary that will air on PBS and be available on demand- it will be broad in terms of covering the history of coins and will cover the minting process, grading, counterfeiting and interviews with some of the great collectors of our time.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    How about a reality TV show?
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe there really IS nothing big, and PCGS is mining the forum members for ideas? The $1000 check will then be "payment" any subcontractor would recieve image

Hey, he did say out in left field. image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    PCGS will announce the building of the Coinalot Theme Park at the location of the former Joe's Car Wash property across the street from headquarters. Shhh you heard it here folks image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many successful companies have been so because they under promise and over deliver. I just hope this will prove another example, as the opposite can have severe negative consequences.

Perhaps CLCT will be taken private.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be a new holder, but one unlike anyone has ever seen.

It will encase the coin and nothing but the coin. It will be done in such a way so that there is no other plastic/material other than what surrounds the coin. The grade and other coin identifying info will somehow be visible on the holder but not obstructing the view of the coin in any way (not sure how this may be done).

When PCGS flicked that switch in 1986, they introduced a coin grading service that has risen to the top of the industry. Now, on March 26, 2010, PCGS will take the "next step" after the grading is done and create a whole "new way" for encapsulation to take place by introducing a tamper-proof, counterfeit-proof slab that allows people to do what they've always wanted......that is, enjoy their coins in the palm of their hands (in this very special and innovative holder) without worrying about damaging it or decreasing its value through the creation of "the big one" - the New PCGS Holder!!!

Even if I'm wrong, it sure sounds like a great pitch for a great and revolutionary product, don't you think?

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Oh, I know PCGS will buy CDN Publications (The Greysheet etc) and start publishing real word prices. image
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    RFID chips embedded in the holders for authenticity and inventory scanning..........

This is what I was thinking. PCGS will place, at the customer's request, a tiny, tiny microchip on the edge of a coin that is invisible to the naked eye and even with a microscope. This will allow coins to be traceable and tracked, while cutting down on counterfeits.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RFID chips embedded in the holders for authenticity and inventory scanning..........
    >>

I sure hope not. While I can see it being useful at a show in that you could find the location of that specific coin you're hunting if it is on the bourse floor, I really don't want ANYONE being able to track the coins I carry w/ me at a show or especially to be able to track the coins I have at home or the bank.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I think it is going to be a point grading system using the Sheldon scale we have today. IE a MS64.2 would be on the low end of the MS 64 scale and a MS64.8 or MS64.9 would be superior for the grade, thus negating the need for CAC.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it will be a new holder, but one unlike anyone has ever seen.
    ..................................... the New PCGS Holder!!! >>

I think that this is a very good educated guess image
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    PCGS to start a grading/doctor detection/counterfeit school (for college credit too if you want) and certify collectors and dealers to prove they really know what they are doing. PCGS dealers required passing rigorous training classes.

PCGS should and could start a PCGS Certified Collector License program, for those who choose, AND you must past a test, including background and credit, and PCGS school. That way, one could choose to buy and sell only with other Certified Collectors and hopefully keep the FleBaygs away! This is not the same as being a collector club member etc, or just hanging a PCGS dealer sign on you business card.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I have not read this entire thread, Just wanted to throw out some off the wall guesses lol.

1}PCGS will come to you and grade coins
    2}PCGS will buy out all other grading companies
    3}Photograding

That's all I got image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will move out of California and relocate to Texas (Dallas) or Nevada (possibly Las Vegas) with a satellite grading office in either Delaware, Maryland or even possibly in the new Heritage office building in New York City, if Heritage ever completes their plans to set up in new York City.

Ever wonder why PCGS has been having so many shows in Las Vegas?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    PCGS to move to Nevada? Why would they move from one failing state to another ??

Why do I always think PCGS is Pacific Coast Grading Service?
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will cease to certify coins. Instead, they will only verify (or not verify) the grades of previoulsy certified coins. Additionally, they will post bids for PCGS "stickered" coins.
    Edited to add;
    also, introduction of a 87 point (?) grading system, 1 through 59 remaining the same, with 3 levels within each mint state grade, a perfect "70" remaining as is.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will structure a leveraged buy-out of China, and shut down all of the counterfeitors once they gain absolute control.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will become a "market maker" on resale. PCGS graded coins will be purchased by a PCGS organized dealer consortium at a published price grid or formula that the general public can see and have confidence in, making a real market "BID" level and bringing a tremendous liquidity to the market.

Now, that would be a real "big one"!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will finally slab large sized coins , medals & ancients...

PCGS will add the words "truview" on it's label for all coins photographed through them...

PCGS will be adding a conservation service similar to NGC's...
  • Options
    Pcgs will have many new branches all over the country for grading on every street corner for walk in grading...
  • Options
    Branch opening in China
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    PCGS has bought a position as an "official grading service of the ANA".
  • Options
    PCGS will become a "market maker" on resale. PCGS graded coins will be purchased by a PCGS organized dealer consortium at a published price grid or formula that the general public can see and have confidence in, making a real market "BID" level and bringing a tremendous liquidity to the market.

See you in Ft. Worth. image
  • Options
    PCGS will start grading MS & PR 69 moderns as 69.1, 69.2, 69.3 ect.
  • Options
    New holders that will be of an archival material, and vacuum sealed and guaranteed water and air tight and that the coin will be permanently suspended in the exact state the it was slabbed. They will also be tamper proof.

PCGS will continue be the the center of the coin universe.

PCGS dealers websites will be all in the same format and be integrated with the main PCGS site.

PCGS will be the only site you will have to visit to get every piece of information ever needed or wanted on any US coin ever minted.

There will be no reason visit any other site for all your coin needs and wants. One stop to access all.

The only web address you will need to access everything PCGS coin related will be www.PCGS.com
  • Options
    Alright, it has to be "out of the box"...so it won't be new slabbing, new grading scale, etc.....hmmmm, makes one wonder. I say it's going to be a consortium between PCGS and Mint where you can buy slabbed coins directly from the mint! Things it can't be (in order to meat the out of the box criteria) are PCGS location changes, grading scale change, becoming the official ANA slabber, merging with NGC, etc.
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    299 !!!
    I will PM you my direct deposit account.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    300!!!

I did the "Ask the Expert" thing with David and he did make special mention of "what we're doing in March", but that was as far as he went before shouting "Next Victim!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file