Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q: What is livelier than a tweet or a blog ?
    A: The U.S. Coin Forum when HRH starts a thread.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, hang onto all of your current PCGS slabs, because they may suddenly become as scarce and collectible as the old Doily's! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A coin in a PCGS holder will be going into Outer Space image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A coin in a PCGS holder will be going into Outer Space image >>

Acutally they are going to send them all the way to the moon. Then PCGS will be able to use the phrase "moon money" and "PCGS" in all of their advertisements.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Left field guess -- PCGS will announce they have reached a deal with the government on how to faze out of circulation all pennies...or PCGS has created a penny for the govt that costs less to make than a penny and they are going to "mint" it in combination with the US Mint in SF (of course PCGS gets the first 10,000 or so "first strikes" for slabbing purposes....

2) Counterfitting problem is reached critical mass in the slab world. A new "holographic" slab, with the hologram built into the plastic itself is designed. The areas around the coin and the insert are clear for viewing purposes, and the insert notes that the slab is a holographic type. Any interuption with the slab and the entire hologram goes opaque, thereby letting everyone know that the slab has been tampered with.

3) All slabbed coins can be sent in for "reholdering" in a new type of slab that is tamper resistant (see above) for free, thus improving the quality of coins on the market/in collections (PCGS will remove all fakes found in this process and notify you if you were unlucky but at the same time, offer you some sort of minor compensation...this process will also allow them to remove all those little green stickers...).

Just my two cents...

Greg
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will be expanding to Europe?

I know PCGS establish a submission centre at the mint in Warsaw in Auckland, New Zealand.

Perhaps establishing one with the Royal Mint in the UK? or actually having premises and graders based in the UK.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    1) PCGS will have guaranteed buy-back prices for every coin it slabs.

2) PCGS will accept NGC coins into its Registry.

3) PCGS will once again become the official TPG for the ANA.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    How about PCGS will make the slabs air or water tight and insert a gas or liquid into the slab to protect the coin
    when slabbing?

or

remove all air and moisture from the slab when slabbing in a new airtight slab?

or

One of the graders will put a thumb print onto the slab label and using a new PCGS device you can scan the print to see if it is authentic?

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From left field...

Okay, this one may be just past shortstop, but here goes...

What is needed in the coin market is an online auction/sale venue that is safe, effective way to sell coins that mitigates the problems associated with eBay (way too many to list). Few organizations have the clout/prestige/support to get this accomplished in a meaningful way. The ANA started investigating this opportunity a few years ago, but didn't have the XXXXXX (fill in blank) to see it through. The only other company that I can see that has the resources to get this done is Collectors Universe.

My guess...

Collectors Universe will start a competing auction/sale site/service that is a direct competitor to eBay. With careful planning and management, they would take all the legitimate sales and auction market share from eBay.

That would be "flicking a new switch."

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS (Collectors Universe) will announce that they will be merging with NGC (Certified Collectibles Group). The merged company will produce a truly tamper resistant holder with enhanced security features, including holograms and UV labels, and coins over a certain value (submission level) will receive an extra layer of security features. For each coin submitted, high-resolution images will be captured, and will be available for viewing online. This merger will result in an improved combined Registry system, which will persuade collectors to resubmit to the new service.

• Options
    You guys do realize that if you keep guessing the SAME things others
    have already guessed, you wouldn't get the check right?

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will begin slabbing Beenie Babies but they MUST be dust free, so don't bother heading to your attic or basement. They'll get beenie-bagged.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    All coins graded by PCGS will be recalled for review. All coins graded to todays standards, and over graded pieces are knock down to the proper grades, and under graded pieces are bumped up to where they belong. All of this, including shipping will be at cost to PCGS and all coins will be imaged and stored in grading sets on coinfacts.
  • Options
    Direct submissions from public without requirement to be a PCGS member.
  • Options
    This has to be it!
    PCGS buys an island in the South Pacific and still remains PCGS but becomes the Professonal Coconut Grading Service.
    Grades will be: MS- Milk Sweetness, AU- Almost Undrinkable, XF- Extra Furry, VF- Very Furry etc....

(HRH did say left field)

Jim
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will be the official grader for QVC and HSN.

PCGS hires CAC to be the official PCGS finalizer and PCGS market maker.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading operations in Zurich and Hong Kong for World Coins-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    PCGS buys China and closes it down?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -PCGS stops grading coins altogether in favor of a new business venture: Coin themed restaurants

-PCGS hires Q. David Bowers as it's finalizer/head numismatist.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is going to team up with CAC and Coneca (or some other variety expert) to put the CAC stickers inside the holders and expand the varieties. With all that they will include some sort of chip or strand to help control counterfeiting of slabs and the coins within counterfeit slabs. They will also image each coin, as an added counterfeit detection method. A new material to prevent gold, copper, and silver coins from turning in the holders. No more odd color gold changes after grading! No more red cents turning RB or Brown! No more white milk spots on silver!

They are using our suggestions for future changes and/or improvements with this great marketing tool to see what customer want or think is needed.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Top 10 guesses.

10. Finally pay the TARP money back so that you can issue those long overdue executive bonuses.
    9. Massive slab recall for all coins slabbed prior to 1997.
    8. Two words: Decimal grading!
    7. Hired a lovable troup of oompa-loompas to compliment the PCGS grading facility tour.
    6. Increase shareholder profits by outsourcing slab manufacturing to China.
    5. Finally solved the mystery of how there could be 265,000 graded 1916-d dimes.
    4. Market $19.95 do-it-yourself home slabbing kits on the home shopping channel.
    3. New quantum x-ray technology to grade unopened proof sets.
    2. Finally get around to recognizing the popular 1924-s Lincoln cent goiter variety.
    1. Stop grading clad coins because they're not "real" coins.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word....

Omega
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ...........The next big step ?

Time travel ?

nano- molecular technology ?

anti-matter plasma reflux astrophysics ??

fiber optic / microwave transmissions of the coins on a molecular level ????

a 3-D Movie made by Pixar with "Redbox" type submission machines next to the prophylactic dispensers in the bathrooms ..........

the wholesale dipping of every coin ever submitted so the whole toning issue go's away ........

telepathic implants ??

The second coming Of Jesus ?

Slabs used as driver's licences / passports ??

bottom line ; whatever it is , it has to be some form of increasing profits for PCGS
  • Options
    Here's my guess:

PCGS has developed an album type similar to Dansco except that the type coins will be graded and sealed. It will offer a full gamut of collections very similar to what dansco offers. You will be able to submit incomplete sets and add new coins as they are acquired, or submit your completed collection, and coins that do not meet PCGS's grading standards will be graded authentic.

In addition PCGS will offer two forms of payment. You can pay for the entire set at once thereby locking in your price and only have to pay for shipping as you add coins or, you can pay grading fees for each coin you add. And the collection will automatically be added to the Registry for that particular type set in order of the grades given.

PS David, if this is not what you have in the offing, I will accept royalties and/or Product Marketing Director when you do....lol.

John
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Two guesses.

You will be able to buy stock or share on a specific coin, like the 1913 nickel. PCGS will be the broker or like the NYSE. It will become like a stock market where coins would be owned by a number of individuals. Only a certain number of shares can be bought for one coin. When a coin comes up for auction it will be like an IPO. Coins will become individaual entities like companies. Havent figured out the specifics. I don't even know if this makes sense.

PCGS will grade and slab all other slabbed coins from all other grading companies for free. Eventually there will be nothing but PCGS coins on the market.
  • Options
    a PCGS library where you check out slabs -not books ?

a combination cellphone/ipod built into the slab ?

slabs with different flavors/smells ............the more offensive the odor-the lower the grade ? the more delicious/sweet smelling ; the higher ??

Doctor prescribed slabs for treatment of depression/drug addiction ?

The implementation of slabs into the human body in place of vital organs ??

D.N.A strands embedded in the slab

tiny seed slabs you plant in the ground and water and new one's grow ?

Military slabs , ethnic slabs, cyborg slabs, slabs that TALK ...............

slabs that when placed in the dark , mate and make baby slabs

ninja slabs, "hit" slabs .............slabs that are "connected" .................
  • Options
    slab competitions , where like a dog show, slabs compete for best in show and cash prizes
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You send in your coins for the usual grading,
    they take a high quality picture which they send to you,
    then they keep your coin,
    for safe keeping. image
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Perhaps ditching slabs altogether in favour of ...?

I know this won't be the answer but...

how about something to improve the slabs. I know a lot of collectors aren't pleased with the NGC edge holders as they cover part of the obverse and reverse so its not ideal when photographing. How about a simple but better solution like.

or

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will announce an Internet/Data Center solution for coin nerds.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    My guess is (for now) that PCGS has been rethinking about the grading system. There will be some sort of change (decimal grading, different point system etc...) that is meant to change how coins and coin collecting is viewed upon.

Probably not.....lol. But I think PCGS is big enough to do it.

Dennis
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS made a deal with the U.S. Mint to encapsulate coins produced for that year directly at the mint
    >>

Well, there goes my great guess.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    So in 1986, PCGS changed the market because now you knew WHAT YOU HAD and approx what it was worth. You didn't have to rely on some guy in a BM giving his uneducated opinion and ripping you off (no offense intended)

In March, they will announce some sort of exchange where you will know what you have and what it is worth but a medium or exchange to fairly EXCHANGE it for everyone, not just dealers. An everyman's CCE. Maybe they will even hold the coin for you like brokers do for book entry stock certificates. There will be INFORMATION where you can track down the cert # of the coin and see its value over time, just like you can do with a stock (like what you can do on google finance with a stock ticker). They will make a market for the coins with others, like CAC. There will be mutual funds of coins and coin investment funds. Coins will become a legitimate investment and brokerage houses like GS and MS will steer clients to put 5% of their wealth into such investments for diversification.

Financial planners will now have to know stocks, bonds, commodities, real estate, and coins.

David, keep the money, but I would like to have lunch with you and my kids.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of PCGS partnering with an outside party to sell their product. The difference, when you list a coin for sale you get all the information about the coin to include the graders "ID" (I Figure the name would be to personal). This way, we could learn who the better graders are and look for their graded coins. Basically, we plug in the slab number and the auction populates with photos, dates, mintage, graders ID, date grades etc...

Then we could sign up under the registry program to identify a coin when it is listed as one we need in the grade we want...

Now that would be nice.

I also have an idea about a coin museum...
  • Options
    1) Satellite grading offices will be opened up in remote locations outside of California in an attempt to keep some revenues from becoming spending allowance for politicians.

2) PCGS will encapsulate problem coins into square holders called "Beer Coasters"

3) All previously banned users will be given amnesty and may return to the forums.
  • Options
    They made a deal with the US Mint to get the first 100 Coins off of each Die. First Strike will now be truely First Strikes !!! image
  • Options
    ...as a footnote to item 2 above:

They'll be called "Genuine Draft Holders" image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decimal grading based on the current scale, with CAC labeled PCGS holders automatically qualifying for the upper end of the decimal "ranking" within the grade. PCGS knows what is really important to coin collectors as it relates to their company. Rank, Rank and Rank. A significant amount of their revenue in recent history can be attributed to collectors psychological need for "The Registry".

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    PCGS will give all collectors an opportunity to own high end Million dollar coins, Collections. They will buy grade and sell shares in them like the stock market.image
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS has signed a deal with the US Mint, where the MInt ships freshly-minted coins directly to PCGS. Any coins grading less than MS or PR69 will be returned to the Mint for recycling. PCGS will market the coins only to collectors, thus eliminating the need for dealers in new US coinage.

Jim >>

This is almost what I was going to guess, except the following difference:

PCGS signs a deal with the Mint to grade freshly minted coins. Then the US Mint will sell coins in grade tiers to collectors on their website. They'll maybe still offer the regular raw coins, but the Mint will also sell coins in MS69 or PF70 or whatnot at higher prices.

I also liked the idea of making submission privileges free.

I rather doubt it will be a new holder, but here's my design from last year:

(optional: have a window covering the entire face of the holder, so that the prongs are not accessible)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will give us more info when we put cert # in, Like grading dates of when it was put in the slab and if it was a dealer or a collector that sent it in. Let us sell coins like fee- bay but at a lower fee? Your going to Let us say what we want on the forums? Am I geting close, Leting us put NGC slabs in are Registry Sets. Give some hints. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Idea 1 -PCGS has created a technology to fingerprint every coin it grades. No two fingerprints will be alike. Their web site will allow an image of a coin to be checked against the database. Thbus, if a coin in a slab doesn't match the fingerprint for that coin, it is a counterfeit. This database will prevent counterfeits, and also limit resubmissions as each coin will have a fingerprint in the database if it has ever been submitted,

Idea 2-PCGS has made a deal with the US Mint to directly slab their coins and sell them to the public.

• Options
    The President of the United States (or other world leader) will be making a visit to PCGS!

It's possible that marking a coin with a microscopic laser tag could be implemented.
    They do it to diamonds, and to me it seems like a viable option for coins now-a-days
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Every slab will have a tiny cell phone in it so that if it is cracked it can call home and update population counts ... image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    A flat rate of say $5 for every coin submitted, regardless of variety, price, rarity, or anything else.
  • Options
    "The Big One" may be in reference to a large Earthquake that will hit California.
    "The Big One" may be in reference to taking the Ivy off the left-field wall of Wrigley Field!

Ok, I give up. I'll wait patiently for the surprise, and I hope it's as good as the hype you are making it out to be
  • Options
    pendragon1998........................
    The holders with prongs are obsolete.
    Once you've seen this holder
    you'll wish the big 2 had it.
    This uses mirrored plastic on an angle to show the edge.

Ray
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I got it, PCGS/ heritage will offer to buy coins for a "first Shot price" from submitter before returning!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file