Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    A smaller, micro holder, that allows me to put many coins in a folder. Grade is imprinted on edge of coin. Something like a robust Kointain holder.

keoj
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chip in a slab
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not micro-laser the grade right on the coin? You'd need a loop to see it, but in the left field of the obverse.

Or, has someone already thought of that?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    notice how in his last post David Hall skipped right over my post!!
    I hope thats a hint!!!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RFID - be able to instantly locate any coin on the bourse floor. That would be truly "flipping the switch."
  • Options
    Online grading...and it's an overdue idea.

You send (or upload) a picture of your coin to PCGS online. They give you an "unofficial" grade (unless the photograph is of poor quality) for a low fee (say $1 or so). You would now have the option to send the coin in. If the coin does not make the unofficial grade you were given, you would not have to pay the grading fee, but would still have to cover postage to and from. If it does make the grade, you pay the grade tier fee minus the cost of the unofficial grading fee, your coin gets slabbed and you are satisfied. PCGS will also allow PCGS dealers to offer "verbal" grades for the same deal.

At least this is my guess. As a person who teaches management for a living, I have wondered why PCGS or anyone else has not cashed in on such an opportunity? Imagine the coins that could flow to them. I stopped sending coins in years ago because they kept coming back with unexpected results. No one likes to take unncessary risks, and the uncertainty of submitting coins for the average collector has caused major heartache. David Hall's original idea with PCGS and the slabbing industry was truly a game changer (and a good and needed one). But now, technology has caught up and given the ability for another paradigm shift.

Just in my case, I would have 20-30 coins a year over being slabbed at PCGS if such a program came along.

Who knows...but this is my guess. We shall find out.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....slabs will now be made of glass bringing a whole new meaning to 'cracking out' a slab? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not micro-laser the grade right on the coin? You'd need a loop to see it, but in the left field of the obverse.

Or, has someone already thought of that? >>

Which adjective best describes this half baked idea?

Of course, when I accidently drop my PR70DCAM, having the grade etched into the field will guarantee I'll always have my PR70DCAM despite that huge scratch.

Maybe you're on to something here!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>PS...Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field. But I promise you you'll love it! In February, 1986, we flicked a switch and changed the market...we're going to flick another switch on March 26...

HRH >>

OK, it has to be something really 'out there'. How about a 3-d slab where the coin is suspended in some sort of inert clear gel allowing all to see the rims and everything. We all know the competitions prong holders were not well received.
    What the heck, guessing is always fun! image
    Jim
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Coins superior for their grade will receive a diamond next to the grade. PCGS Diamonds
    will become the gold standard of coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Platinum membership will be increased somewhat but will then include all the
    information services that are now charged for on a separate basis.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Online grading...and it's an overdue idea.

You send (or upload) a picture of your coin to PCGS online. They give you an "unofficial" grade (unless the photograph is of poor quality) for a low fee (say $1 or so). You would now have the option to send the coin in. If the coin does not make the unofficial grade you were given, you would not have to pay the grading fee, but would still have to cover postage to and from. If it does make the grade, you pay the grade tier fee minus the cost of the unofficial grading fee, your coin gets slabbed and you are satisfied. PCGS will also allow PCGS dealers to offer "verbal" grades for the same deal.

At least this is my guess. As a person who teaches management for a living, I have wondered why PCGS or anyone else has not cashed in on such an opportunity? Imagine the coins that could flow to them. I stopped sending coins in years ago because they kept coming back with unexpected results. No one likes to take unncessary risks, and the uncertainty of submitting coins for the average collector has caused major heartache. David Hall's original idea with PCGS and the slabbing industry was truly a game changer (and a good and needed one). But now, technology has caught up and given the ability for another paradigm shift.

Just in my case, I would have 20-30 coins a year over being slabbed at PCGS if such a program came along.

Who knows...but this is my guess. We shall find out. >>

Grading accurately on a consistent basis from images is impossible, especially for mint state and Proof coins. if you think otherwise, youy must have missed nuymerous threads in which that has been illustrated.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    It would be good if it was a measure to combat counterfeiters.

My idea:

If you were to make the serial code on slabs or ad additional serial codes using invisible ink it would be almost impossible for fake slab makers to guess the numbers. The only way they could put genuine numbers on slabs would be if they where told what the numbers were.

So only the person holding the genuine slab could place it under a UV light and check the number and then verify it on a PCGS registry type site.

You could name this service something like "PCGS secure serial".If such a coin was sold by an auction
    house like Heritage etc. all they would need to say would be something like "PCGS secure serial checked" without divulging the numbers.

This could lead to other merchandising products ie a genuine PCGS slab checker with the PCGS logo on it. It would in fact be a fancy looking UV light box with which to place slabs under, but which would also look nice on a table near a computer. It could be USB powered for people that travel with a lap top.

If the serial numbers were 12 digits and random it would be almost impossible for a counterfeiters to guess the genuine number for the type of coin and the grade he is faking. If some numbers did get out and in the hands of the fake slabbers, you could further combat this by publishing a list of known copied secure serial numbers if any started appearing with a note saying something like "if you believe the coin you own is genuine please return it to PCGS for re-slabbing with a new secure code". This could also be offered to anyone typing in a number which turned out to be a type known to have been copied.

I believe this system would be very affective as most faked slabs are made by looking at pictures of genuine ones and by copying the numbers on the slabs. If the secure serial number wasn't visible then they can't copy it. It won't stop them trying or making up a number but as soon as the new purchaser typed in the number it would be obvious that the coin and slab in question wasn't genuine, which isn't the case with the current serial numbers on display.
  • Options
    Mark, how about a a quasi semi official grade ,from a detailed , intense and verbose verbal description?image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on some of the guesses, I'm glad PCGS is the company doing the grading !
  • Options
    I would like some way , to more accurately account for the multiple resubmissions where the label
    is not turned in. I bet a large number of coins in high grade are fare more rare then the numbers
    graded would indicate . Such improved accuracy would certainly impact the value of such over
    estimated graded coins.
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Online grading...and it's an overdue idea.

Who knows...but this is my guess. We shall find out. >>

Grading accurately on a consistent basis from images is impossible, especially for mint state and Proof coins. if you think otherwise, youy must have missed nuymerous threads in which that has been illustrated. >>

Agreed in part, but, consider the following:

In recent years, there has been an explosion in coin photography. Even amateurs like me can take an okay photo.

PCGS has launched their online photo grading guide.

The verbal grading done at some coin shows draws business in.

If the photograph is of poor quality, then no grade. (Heck, there is even a new book on how to grade from pictures).

There is a revenue opportunity for PCGS.

And, what about the PCGS dealer grading idea...no photos needed there?

Maybe I'm wrong. As I said, we shall find out.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Did PCGS arrange the Numismatic Event of the Century™ in Baltimore? Only a force as strong as HRH could bring RYK and Longacre together at the same time and place.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acquisition of NGC, ANACS, ICG, and DGS...

Formation of a new company: PCGSNGCANACSICGDGS

Now that they have the markety cornered, a new 100-point grading scale- codename: nosheldon
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will announce that they will buy any PCGS graded coin at a published buy price. With all of the time and effort spent on developing the Price Guide, PCGS knows coin values and pricing trends better than anyone. Coins will be sold though a network of dealers, and perhaps directly to Collectors Club members based on Want Lists. PCGS will receive a deluge of coins from other TPGs because collectors will want the instant liquidity.

Submit now or after March 26? It does not matter, PCGS will be as strict as ever, since they will be buying coins in their holders.

• Options
    HRH and JA will have a Reality TV stylee wife swap!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that they have the markety cornered, a new 100-point grading scale- codename: nosheldon >>

I already guessed the 100 point grading scale earlier in this thread and HRH responded "never" in this same thread so it's a dead issue.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I just crossed over lots of my coins to PCGS holders. With my luck, PCGS will have redesigned their coin holders.

So, do we now wait for the news, and not submit anything until then?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Let us consider the thinking of top management :

1. The change will be something to increase the already high prestige of PCGS

2. The change will increase business , revenue stream and profits of PCGS.

3. The change will, in all probability, meet with great and positive reaction from
    collectors and dealers.

4. The change will be unexpected, amazing and remarkable.

Now, with these hints, you should all be able to come up with the right solution.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Bear, is it change we can believe in? image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ummm.... a slab with a special chemically treated insert that keeps copper from turning brown and keeps milk spots from forming on modern silver. Or a permanent on-line photograph of each newly slabbed coin that anyone could access by looking up the certificate number so as to deter counterfieting and doctoring. Or a special analytical technique for toned coins to guarantee their relative originality.

Or, maybe, it is the i-Slab™, a slabbed coin that has a built in touch screen on the slab that connects to the internet so we can cruise the PCGS forums and look up stuff on coinfacts anywhere while examining our slabbed coins at the same time. Or maybe a slab with a jetpack.... yeah, that's it!
  • Options
    Whatever it is, you can bet the farm that it will cost you more.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Something that shows when the holder/coin has been tampered with.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever it is, you can bet the farm that it will cost you more. >>

x2
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HRH is talking flipping a switch. As big as grading and slabbing coins was. We're having fun with this but a lot of us are thinking small.

I don't think PCGS will position this as simply something great for their business. Although it might be, the emphasis has to be on improving coin collecting...security, confidence, enjoyment, protecting investment.

What's really eating at us?

1) Counterfeits. Something needs to be done about runaway counterfeiting in China. Clearly the Chinese gov't isn't interested in stopping it.
    2) Coin doctors. Screwing with coins and screwing collectors has to stop.
    3) Grading standards and objectivity. Can this be improved?

My guess is that it has to do with one of these issues.
    Lance.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now that they have the markety cornered, a new 100-point grading scale- codename: nosheldon >>

I already guessed the 100 point grading scale earlier in this thread and HRH responded "never" in this same thread so it's a dead issue. >>

Sorry- guess I missed it....
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    PCGS slabs will be part of a new value meal. Want fries with that?
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    The big one?

Does this mean that I will be receiving my very own official PCGS Coffee Mug?

Oh be still my beating heart image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will finally grade all Exonumia... especially Hard Times Tokens imageimageimage >>

I sure hope not.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever it is, you can bet the farm that it will cost you more. >>

Actually, I'm quite confident it won't cost me anything more. (except perhaps to the extent of extending the great slab/numerical grading bubble of the numismatic market.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>The big one?

Does this mean that I will be receiving my very own official PCGS Coffee Mug?

Oh be still my beating heart

----------------
    Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

image >>

Back to back those about made me spit my drink all over the computer...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

My check for $1,000 to the person who comes the closest...

and nobody is close yet...

HRH
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My check for $1,000 to the person who comes the closest...

and nobody is close yet...

HRH >>

Just a little bone, HRH!!! Please!!!!!!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    OK, the i -Slab™ will be a slab with a memory stick in it and a little USB port that when a USB cable is inserted into the slab and into the USB port on your computer it will bring up all the pertinent coinfact information and a population report (that can be updated if the coin is plugged in and you go to the PCGS site), digital photographs of the coin in the slab that can be used for e-bay or just so you can show that the coin has the same undoctored look as it had when it was slabbed, etc...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it narrowed down to two things.

It's definitely either multiparameter grading or the return of the open forum. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, the i -Slab™ will be a slab with a memory stick in it and a little USB port that when a USB cable is inserted into the slab and into the USB port on your computer it will bring up all the pertinent coinfact information and a population report (that can be updated if the coin is plugged in and you go to the PCGS site), digital photographs of the coin in the slab that can be used for e-bay or just so you can show that the coin has the same undoctored look as it had when it was slabbed, etc... >>

This would be almost practical for the 99 percentile of widgets in slabsimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    The concept of CAC stickering a coin and the owners of CAC come together together with PCGS to offer PCGS customers with greater in-depth grading of coins which is reflected in a new, revolutionary coin holder.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    .........If nobody has even come close , and not a peep of what's coming hasn't leaked out from the people in the "know" .........

then it has to be something that is so incredible it's beyond comprehension .

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The Big One is Coming >>

imageimage
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    High resolution computerized images of every coin graded, which would make it impossible to crack out and mess with previously graded coins( recolor, artificially frost, laser etc ) and not be exposed by PCGS.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    other companies take photos of all the coins graded for security and identification purposes.

I say PCGS will go further and take a short 30 second or so high-quality video of each coin they grade, rotated under light to show luster, color, etc., perhaps with commentary by the grader of why the coin is graded as it is. Then, whenever you check a cert number (only for coins in the new slabs which identify them as video coins) you will see a short video of the coin along with the standard info which is currently displayed. Will make viewing registry sets more fun and educational as well when the links to the videos are available along the user submitted photos. please PM me for my address of where to send the $1000 image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is acquiring/merging with NGC and ANACS.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    We will have to be members of CU to continue posting on this forum.
    There will be another series of World Series of Coin Grading
    PCGS is being sold!
    PCGS made a deal with the U.S. Mint to encapsulate coins produced for that year directly at the mint
    PCGS will be the official coin grader of the ANA - a spot held for years by NGC

If it's not any of the above, or close to any of the above, I will have to think a little deeper/bigger/wider!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    PCGS is moving to Las Vegas!

PCGS will be opening up another distribution center either in the United States, Europe, or Asia!

A new grading service will be established, combining PCGS, NGC, and/or ANACS, or other TPG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file