Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Edited March 11...

The Big One isn't one...it's actually three very important things...two incredibly huge and one "just" important. Three new things. And one of the things took 2 years to develop...one took 6 months...and one took two months.

March 25 10:00am California time...announcement, video, etc. on the PCGS website.

Hope to see some of you in Fort Worth.

It is possible that the $1,000 prize will be split if someone guesses one thing and someone else guesses another part of The Big One.

Hope you're having fun...we are!!!!!!

EDITED TO ADD...

"MY PERSONAL CHECK FOR $1000 TO THE FIRST PERSON WITH THE CLOSEST GUESS...as of my post Saturday 2-6 at 7:00 Pacific time no one was close."

IMPORTANT NOTE...Due to scheduling of rooms, etc. we have moved the announcement of "the Big One" to Thursday from Friday. New time is 10:30 Thursday, March 25 at the Ft. Worth Mid-Winter ANA.

At the PCGS Set Registry luncheon at the FUN show in January I made the following comment...

"There will be more announcements and new things coming out of PCGS in 2010 than there have been in the past 20 years combined."

PCGS, PCGS CoinFacts, and the Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) will be launching numerous new initiatives, products, and services this year. Some fairly significant things have already been done, such as the Million Dollar Coin Club and the new much faster and cheaper shipping deal. Some things, such as our research on the 1841 quarter eagle and imagining of every U.S. coin and variety on PCGS CoinFacts are ongoing.

But all the things we've done so far and all the other things we'll do this year pale in comparison to the announcement we'll be making March 25, 2010 at the Mid-Winter ANA convention. At 10:30 on March 25, 2010 in a gathering place to be determined we will unveil the "next step"...the "new way"..."the big one." If you are going to be at the ANA convention in Fort Worth, don't miss it. If you're not going to be at the ANA, check the pcgs.com home page at 2:00 CST for all the info. THE BIG ONE IS COMING!!!!!

PS...Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field. But I promise you you'll love it! In February, 1986, we flicked a switch and changed the market...we're going to flick another switch on March 25...

HRH

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Computerized scanning of a coin with computerized grading and a human finalizer.
    All coins will be hi-rezzed scanned at the time with images available.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Bochiman...no
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Any hints HRH?

Throw us a bone...

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please throw us a teenie, tiny bone.......won't youimage
    Or I may have to come back to the show tomorrow and beg it out of youimage
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should snap up all the PCGS coins I can find? Kinda like stock? image Oh Wait, you cannot answer that,....!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will finally grade all Exonumia... especially Hard Times Tokens imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should snap up all the PCGS coins I can find? Kinda like stock? image Oh Wait, you cannot answer that,....! >>

Either that or hold off on all purchases until the announcement is made????

I hope all coins start getting slabbed with the edge view holders that are used for the prez bucks and some early cents. That would be cool.

And maybe PCGS is changing their mind about the drop of the copper color guarantee and will instead stop their guarantee on gold coins, which seemed to be the much bigger finanicial liability based on the top ten losses they made public.
  • Options
    Way out in left field? That means something that hasn't been done previously.

Something revolutionary...

RFID tags in PCGS holders?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Well, at least my trip to Texas from Europe for 3 days sounds like its going to be worth wile, for at least one reason.

See you the 26th!

Dennis
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    A slab sealed with an inert gas to prevent toning, plus the label changes color if the seal is broken.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Given all the web work which has been going on... My guess is a certified coin auction site.
  • Options
    PCGS is closing up shop and all employees are relocating to Costa Rica for agricultural work........ image

Im close aint Iimage
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I know what Mr. Hall is referring to based on "the clues" he's given in his post above.

If this is true, then it WILL change EVERYTHING going forward as far as we know it.

Boy, I hope this is a good thing.

I'd rather not say what I believe it is in case I am wrong.

I'll guess we'll all have to wait until March 26 to find out and see the new "BIG ONE".
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    At least part of it will have to address the counterfeit slab problem...otherwise the 800 pound gorilla in the room will still be sitting there.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    With Ebay changing their fee structure at the end of March and with many coin sellers rethinking the use of ebay, this would be the perfect opportunity for a new coin auction website. I agree with pheh, PCGS could start a certified coin exchange/auction site that could generate huge cash flow and profits for CU. I'll be waiting with anticipation for the big announcement.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully a photo population report going forward of higher value coins is part of the announcement.
    I also think, as some have posted above, that a better counterfeit resistant holder, would be a help.
    Any thoughts of PCGS entering the ancients market yet?
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With Ebay changing their fee structure at the end of March and with many coin sellers rethinking the use of ebay, this would be the perfect opportunity for a new coin auction website. I agree with pheh, PCGS could start a certified coin exchange/auction site that could generate huge cash flow and profits for CU. I'll be waiting with anticipation for the big announcement. >>

Teletrade already has this base covered.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    All coins will be properly graded and attributions included in standard grading price??
  • Options
    Glad to hear a date for the big announcement. I have several hundred coins that I have been holding off submitting since the "hinting" started. I was started to get a bit frustrated with the lack of any announcement. I am sure I am not the only one who has been cutting back on submissions until the changes are announced.

merse

• Options
    They will start with split grading ie obverse and reverse with seperate grades not combined.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With Ebay changing their fee structure at the end of March and with many coin sellers rethinking the use of ebay, this would be the perfect opportunity for a new coin auction website. I agree with pheh, PCGS could start a certified coin exchange/auction site that could generate huge cash flow and profits for CU. I'll be waiting with anticipation for the big announcement. >>

Teletrade already has this base covered. >>

Yes, to some degree. But, teletrade has some differing auction rules on how their auctions are conducted. Also, the amount of time to realize the payout is rather lengthy. IF an auction house subsidiary is in the works, you could take some of the better auction elements from many and present a newer and stronger format for sellers and buyers.

My chief concern would be grading and selling under one roof. A separate entity with separate personnel would probably be the best way to approach it.
    "The 2nd Protects the 1st"

Everyman Peace Dollar Set

Recommended Sellers with positive transactions: Coindeuce, Walkerguy21D, Connecticoin (ebay), itsnotjustme, camera28
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Big One is Coming March 26

Between this and the End of the Mayan Calendar I glad my home was built during the Cuban Missile Crisis and has a Bomb Shelter! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David is it a new generation holder of some type.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Whatever the Big One is it will probably cost me money image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw that thread title, I thought that the Mint was going to release the five ounce silver hockey pucks that day.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    stickers ON the coins and inside the slab. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS is going to the 100 point grading standard necessitating all PCGS coins to be regraded.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Did the Brits actually put the Royal Mint up for sale and we have the buyer?

Or perhaps on a more plausable note, a new and very different concept in holders?

Or a coinstar machine that certifies and holders the coins as they are being dumped in and are instantly ready for sale on Ebay,chop chop?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All PCGS slabs will include a tiny sample of bubonic plague, you need a class 5 clean room to crack a slab. The new way to get rid of coin docs for good.image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Given all the web work which has been going on... My guess is a certified coin auction site. >>

Now that would be real cool.

Joe

• Options
    THIS IS THE BIG ONE COMING EDITH

"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field.

Going forward, PCGS will not return coins to owners unless specifically requested. Instead, it will return 3-D two-sided actual-sized holograms of your coins, which can be handled, placed in albums or cabinets, displayed at coin shows, etc. When you sell a coin, you'll have to do it online with PCGS, which will then transfer the ownership in its computer files. This will solve the problems of theft, counterfeiting of slabs and coin storage, all in one brilliant stroke. Collecting will never be the same!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering about a merger?
  • Options
    RFID chips embedded in the holders for authenticity and inventory scanning with auto population updates when a slab is cracked.
    "I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." - Franklin Pierce Adams

Positive BST Transactions: kalshacon
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    That PCGS will allow me to submit coins again. image Right now, I can't. image

My fault, I cancelled my membership to the Collectors Club.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    services combined on one invoice, thus combining shipping costs!
  • Options
    I think PCGS developed coin inventory software would be a logical fit. The program could be set up to automatically track and update population report numbers, price guides, sales price history, and so on as available. For raw or non-PCGS coins, it could still provide at least some of this information. I don't think this would rise to the level of "The Big One" but I would think it is something that PCGS could do utilizing much of the information they already collect.
    Bob

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>services combined on one invoice, thus combining shipping costs! >>

While I would consider that to be a significant improvement, I do not believe that this is "The Big One™".

My question is the following:

How much money do I need to set aside for The Big One™ ? image
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Realone...no

Broadstruck...not yet

Half Strike...no

Realone (exploding holder)...no, but great idea

pheh...no, no, no, no

All Coins Rule...no

Cone 10...no, no, no, no

500bay...no

golfer72...no

Perry Hall...never

LindDad...of course not

Killed One...good idea...no

Stone...way bigger than that

Buffalode...good idea, but not even close

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know.....

Laser inscribing a serial number on each coin.image
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be MrEureka's idea. HRH did not refute it. image

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My guesses:

You are setting up a 2 way webcam system for real-time 1 to 1 arguments between a submitter and a grader.

PCGS is introducing a line of innovative fuel-cell SUVs.

PCGS introduces a new shipping service to compete with UPS and USPS.

New mind-reading technology prints two grades on the slab...(1) the real grade and (2) the grade that the owner thinks the coin is. Selective invisibility technology assures that only the owner can see grade 2. Everyone else can see grade 1.

(I can reach further out of the box with my guesses if need be)
  • Options

<< <i>It must be MrEureka's idea. HRH did not refute it. image

image >>

Nor mine!image
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    A new PCGS holder?

Detail Grades for problem coins?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    There really won't be a big announcement, it's just an early April Fool's Day prank image

(The above statement was a joke, and only a joke. image )
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll settle for scratch-proof slabs.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file