Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• Options
    PCGS will offer a confirmation service to coins Graded by other grading services.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭

Deal with US Mint where mint becomes a bulk submitter of moderns and offers the public 70 graded coins directly.

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    So how many of our guesses are actually compatible with the concept of "The Big One" as hinted at by David Hall? Many of them seem more like duds to me.image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, how about this?

A laser scan of the coin showing the topography of the coin and put into a 3D series of pictures, to include the edge, that is included with the coin.
    Part of this is also taking the full measurements of the coin to show the weight and dimensions.
    Analysis includes a breakdown on the toning as well, if any and maybe an amount of "original skin" left on the coin (after dippings, etc).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>So how many of our guesses are actually compatible with the concept of "The Big One" as hinted at by David Hall? Many of them seem more like duds to me.image >>

Ok, how about this one? PCGS secretly marks random coins (or slabs) and offers a contest to "finders", prizes and such. Hmmm?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>So how many of our guesses are actually compatible with the concept of "The Big One" as hinted at by David Hall? Many of them seem more like duds to me.image >>

Ok, how about this one? PCGS secretly marks random coins (or slabs) and offers a contest to "finders", prizes and such. Hmmm? >>

Don't bet on that one or you wont be able to change your user nameimage
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    my guess is that PCGS will announce a new grading system, and most probably new holders. It's also possible they may even change their name.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS coin and currency conservation division. (Like NCS)
    Instead of just getting a Genuine holder, an option for conservation and net grade.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only BIG ONE that has occured over the past 25 years was declaring in 1985 the SOLVING OF THE GRADING PROBLEM. So whatever this new announcement is, it must once again solve the grading problem. Anything else such as iSlabs, etc. would just be peripheral stuff. Though I must add that I like the idea and intent of iSlabs.

Apologies if the above was mentioned in pages 2-6....just too many to read them all.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe PCGS is going to buy one of the big auction companies. >>

or maybe one of the big auction companies is going to buy PCGS.
    Paul
  • Options
    It's also possible that some way or another, that they are going in kahoots with the US Mint.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    What are some of the problems facing the coin industry?

> Proliferation of counterfeit coins.
    > Coin Doctoring - including toning, puttying, and laser-ing.
    > Deterioration of Ebay as a major coin marketing venue due to various factors.
    > Loss of consumers who would rather not expose themselves to any of the above risks.
    > Lastly, to quote Laura Legend, "lack of quality fresh material."

In addition, what are some of the problems specifically facing PCGS?

> Proliferation of counterfeit slabs.
    > Coins changing quality inside their PCGS slabs.
    > CNC, for how it attempts to usurp PCGS' role as the highest authority on 3rd party opinions as profits on the inconsistencies that result from grading coins on a mass scale, which will never be a completely non-arbitrary practice.
    > Registry backlash - it has been suggested time & again on these boards that registry madness may actually be alienating to some hobbyists.

Whatever Mr. Hall's big announcement is, logic would dictate that it might aim to address as many of this issues as possible in the simplest manner possible.

My guess, is that PCGS is going to establish some sort of auction / trading / sales-networking forum, perhaps as a startup or in partnership with an already existent player like Heritage, that would also be combined with a permanently maintained photo-archive.

True View photos would be rendered at the time of grading or on a resubmission basis and would then be voluntarily entered into the 'forum' database. There might even be some special addition made to the label of the slab denoting that the coin is now in the system.

When a coin is to be made available for sale, it would go back to PCGS for updated photos to be used for its current listing, that would then go on to accompany the original photos that were taken at the time of grading or when the coin was first entered into the system.

Potential customers could then browse not just coins that are for sale, but all coins that exist in the system! This photo archive, could also potentially be linked to coin-facts in order to provide serious researchers with an incredible amount of material. Likewise this photo archive could also be linked to corresponding Registry Sets in order to serve competitors ina similar manner. Taken collectively, this would add many more wrinkles to the problems faced by coin doctors & counterfeiters alike, as it would make it all but impossible to alter existing material, and bring additional scrutiny to new significant coins entering the system for the first time, especially if their origins cannot be quantified.

Maintaining a permanent photo archive would also document coins changing inside their slabs - the progression copper going from red to brown, milk spots, gold putty, or 'Manofcoins' style tampering would all be documented as it was occurring, and could perhaps then be addressed appropriately.

And who would police these images in the database, looking for inconsistencies? In part the PCGS graders would, but so would members of the CU forums on a volunteer basis. Consider that no raw porous 93-S Morgan lasts more than half a day on Ebay in the face of the CU mob - undoubtedly that same energy would scrutinize the images presented by PCGS looking for the same sorts of anomalies.

As the same coins get sold and resold through the PCGS system, it may become clear that some individual coins consistently fail to bring prices that are on par with their listed values. I would think that these situations would provide PCGS with an opportunity to reclaim some of the ground it may have lost to the CNC - perhaps if the same coin sells twice in two years in the PCGS system, for 25% less than its value established by the PCGS price guide, than it might automatically qualify as a grade guarantee refund candidate.

In addition to coins being auctioned or sold at a fixed price, perhaps some mechanism could also exist for making offers on coins that are not for sale at a given time, since PCGS would presumably have on record who the most recent owner of each coin on file is. I could see this leading to a major escalation in coin prices - consider that if lack of fresh material is the problem folks like Laura say it is, then with a net-working system centralized by PCGS, the question ceases to be one of where the coins are, but one of how much it will cost to pry them loose, with the subsequent data being delivered straight into... the PCGS price guide.

So that is my guess - a PCGS sale-auction-exchange & coin documenting program. Yes, it would be ambitious, but none of its elements are outside the realm of feasibility, and in fact many incorporate or build upon already existing infrastructure. Obviously I am merely brainstorming with these ideas, and I can readily imagine that making them work would require significant additional tweaking, especially where privacy was concerned, but taken as a whole, I think such an offering might lend the same sort of stability & interest to the coin market that slabbing did at its onset, and, just as it happened then, it might once again attract a major wave of consumers to the hobby.

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is going to start a television series, somewhat similar to Antiques Roadshow. It will be a show that deals with coinage, paper money and ephemera. This show will travel to different cities (much like Antiques Roadshow) and provide historic background, market values and interesting tidbits about the coins that go through the show. PCGS will also have on-site grading. Can I be the host?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ok, how about this one? PCGS secretly marks random coins (or slabs) and offers a contest to "finders", prizes and such. Hmmm? >>

Kinda like the US mint does with dollar error coins. image

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS is going to start a television series, somewhat similar to Antiques Roadshow. It will be a show that deals with coinage, paper money and ephemera. This show will travel to different cities (much like Antiques Roadshow) and provide historic background, market values and interesting tidbits about the coins that go through the show. PCGS will also have on-site grading. Can I be the host? >>

This would probably be the coolest thing they could possibly do for the collecting community, and likely drive prices through the roof for actual rarities.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS is going to start a television series, somewhat similar to Antiques Roadshow. It will be a show that deals with coinage, paper money and ephemera. This show will travel to different cities (much like Antiques Roadshow) and provide historic background, market values and interesting tidbits about the coins that go through the show. PCGS will also have on-site grading. Can I be the host? >>

Hell, PCGS will be on Antiques Roadshow. Coins have been missing from it for far too long.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, all the local B&M dealers are gonna LOVE this idea......image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will make the biggest gold coin ever? image
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    A chain of PCGS stores. With a set up like the Apple computer stores where you can learn about coins, buy the coins, see the coins, take free classes etc. Raise the level of visibility how PCGS slabbed coins are seen and really let people know the truth about the telemarketer junk out there. The difference between an Apple store and any old computer place would be the difference a PCGS store and all other coin shops. Get a brand image out there that the general population can understand. Make sure to have coffee too.image
    Richard
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Honestly I'm not sure any more. I went back, re-read the announcement, re-analyzed what I knew and looked at indicators which were available... I'm sticking with my last guess even though I'm not entirely confident in it.

I will point out the following (in regards to my last guess):

Record created on 09-Dec-2009. CCEQP.COM
    Record created on 09-Dec-2009. CCEQUICKPRICE.COM

The "big one"? I dunno. Done right and with a lot more meat than I put into it, it could be. Regardless I like my guess a whole lot more as *something* that is coming down the pike.
  • Options
    PCGS will search the vast oceans for sunken treasure and sell shares in this project to PCGS members Only. image
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will use only one grader per series that SPECIALIZES in that series making grading more accurate and consistant?
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    caitlan - I like that idea too -- but I think that each series should have 2 or 3 people --ie. 2 or 3 series per person and also 2 or 3 persons per series -- ya gotta mix it up a lil bit!!! And then put 'em in the new counterfeit proof, humidity proof, bulletproof holders.
  • Options
    PCGS will offer the online ability for anyone to enter the serial # of each PCGS graded coin that is bought and how much they paid for it so that the PCGS price guide will reflect the most accurate current pricing ever and that would include all coins graded by PCGS.

The longer the program is in effect the more accurate the price guide will become. When they allow this with all the PCGS coins that sell on Ebay, the price guide will be the best ever, most acurate and available to PCGS members only.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    so many cool and wonderful ideas ............and were supposed to believe that none are what's going to flick the switch ??

come on now ...........
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will search the vast oceans for sunken treasure and sell shares in this project to PCGS members Only. >>

I'm in!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that PCGS is coming out with a new holder that has a DNA encryption code for security. This code can be read easily by anyone that purchases the reader, quickly verifying that the holder (and the coin inside) is genuine.

My alternate guess is that PCGS will start selling high-tech holograms of certain rare coins in genuine PCGS holders, for collectors that want to own coins like the 1804 $ or the 1913 Liberty nickel. These would be clearly marked, of course.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Create artificial rarities by melting huge quantities of common coins. image
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Guess NO. 16: A coin show-virtual bourse, but like a real show.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this as exciting for you girls as it is for us guys ?
  • Options
    PCGS will become a registered IRA custodian and coins (not limited to gold) submitted under the new IRA grading designation will be verified, encapsulated and sent to controlled storage facility. This would become an IRA account for the customer and there would be an auction outlet where the coins could be bought and sold within the IRA approved structure.

Your IRA could be tracked like a registry set and you could add coins by direct submission or through approved IRA auction. To liquidate you would merely put them up in the IRA approved auction.

This idea is copyrighted by poster at this time.image
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    A few left field guesses, some serious, some for a laugh:

- SERIOUS: A constantly updated buy offer on every PCGS graded coin, by certification number.

- LAUGH: PCGS will hold all real coins in their vault, and deliver a slab with a 3D hologram.

- HALF SERIOUS: Certification database will track history of every coin from minting, through retail transactions, collection, sale, auction, etcetera.

- LAUGH: PCGS has developed technology to allow Wheresgeorge to be applied to Quarter Dollars and Washington Presidential Dollars.

- SERIOUS: All grading will be free if PCGS is given unrestricted rights to digital images of the coin graded.

- SERIOUS: PCGS will provide a written description of strike, luster, surfaces and eye appeal with every slab.

- LAUGH: Small slips of paper, with the graders initials, will be included in each slab.

- SERIOUS: RFID devices with 256 bit encryption will be included in each slab.

- LAUGH: GPS tracking devices will be added on top of the RFID devices.

- SERIOUS: Slabs will include a button, that when pressed results in an audio recording of the grader describing the coin to be played.

- SERIOUS: Slab size will change to the same as airtights, with all writing around the rim.

- SERIOUS: Coins will not be slabbed. Instead, detailed images showing microscopic devices will be recorded and allow the 100 % identification of any coin previsously graded.

- LAUGH: PCGS will attack Chinese counterfeiting though hiring of Blackwater security personnel previously employed in Iraq.

- HALF SERIOUS: All US Mint collector products will be pre-graded by PCGS and priced based upon grade.

- SERIOUS LAUGH: PCGS will idenitfy First Strike on the single coin of each date/mint/type which is struck first.

- LAUGH: Nano lubricants will be applied to all slabs so that stickers cannot be attached.

- LAUGH: PCGS will Copy Right the Term MS70 so no other company can use it.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few left field guesses, some serious, some for a laugh:

- SERIOUS: A constantly updated buy offer on every PCGS graded coin, by certification number.

- LAUGH: PCGS will hold all real coins in their vault, and deliver a slab with a 3D hologram.

- HALF SERIOUS: Certification database will track history of every coin from minting, through retail transactions, collection, sale, auction, etcetera.

- LAUGH: PCGS has developed technology to allow Wheresgeorge to be applied to Quarter Dollars and Washington Presidential Dollars.

- SERIOUS: All grading will be free if PCGS is given unrestricted rights to digital images of the coin graded.

- SERIOUS: PCGS will provide a written description of strike, luster, surfaces and eye appeal with every slab.

- LAUGH: Small slips of paper, with the graders initials, will be included in each slab.

- SERIOUS: RFID devices with 256 bit encryption will be included in each slab.

- LAUGH: GPS tracking devices will be added on top of the RFID devices.

- SERIOUS: Slabs will include a button, that when pressed results in an audio recording of the grader describing the coin to be played.

- SERIOUS: Slab size will change to the same as airtights, with all writing around the rim.

- SERIOUS: Coins will not be slabbed. Instead, detailed images showing microscopic devices will be recorded and allow the 100 % identification of any coin previsously graded.

- LAUGH: PCGS will attack Chinese counterfeiting though hiring of Blackwater security personnel previously employed in Iraq.

- HALF SERIOUS: All US Mint collector products will be pre-graded by PCGS and priced based upon grade.

- SERIOUS LAUGH: PCGS will idenitfy First Strike on the single coin of each date/mint/type which is struck first.

- LAUGH: Nano lubricants will be applied to all slabs so that stickers cannot be attached.

- LAUGH: PCGS will Copy Right the Term MS70 so no other company can use it. >>

Clever post and.......image
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>- SERIOUS: PCGS will provide a written description of strike, luster, surfaces and eye appeal with every slab. >>

This along with the online access to photos, and the same description, etc. would be awesome. (Does anyone say awesome anymore?)
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is moving to Las Vegas.

Opening up a retail shop for their "clients"

In a Strip Casino.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Guess NO. 16: A coin show-virtual bourse, but like a real show. >>

You mean where dealers are virtually rude, have virtual bad breath, and virtually ignore you? I like it image

• Options
    "Guess No. 16: A coin show-virtual bourse, but like a real show. "

You mean where dealers are virtually rude, have virtual bad breath, and virtually ignore you? I like it

Some features are optionalimage

Guess No. 17: A way to stabilize the current state of the coin, including red copper.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    HRH, is it just a coincidence that March 25th is a Thursday and U.S. Patent Applications are published on Thursdays? (U.S. Patents issue on Tuesdays)
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Drum Roll Please.............................

PCGS will start a coin conservation service.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone is retiring
  • Options
    Pcgs will start a PQ designation and show it on the slab.

Edited- pcgs released the little one, a new barcode system.
  • Options
    OK from way out in left field. Something I have never heard of, "some newly developed type of 3D laser imaging and grading" image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will start grading collector cars, where the slab is a giant trailer to tow behind your tow vehicle. (You can already get enclosed trailers with clear sides).

PCGS will then stand for Professional Car Grading Service.

(This is somewhat serious, as there are many thousands of collector cars and not a single company exists to authenticate/grade them)

PCGS will start grading cheese, and grade will not be based on condition but taste, some sort of new-fangled slab will be invented that will be resealable, but yet prevents the cheese from going bad.

PCGS will then stand for Professional Cheese Grading Service.

A branch company will grade wine, and will be called "Certified Alcohol Content", or CAC for short. image

(So far out in left field it's back around to right again)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK from way out in left field. Something I have never heard of, "some newly developed type of 3D laser imaging and grading" image >>

Not left field...I mentioned that in an earlier post image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    A coin based ETF would be cool.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    This thread is not on the first page anymore.

Here is my guess, specifically designed to get this thread back on the first page.

My guess is: David Hall offers $1000 in order to keep the guesses coming and to keep this thread on the front page.
  • Options
    With all due respect...

PCGS has found a way to digitize the human brain. Bruce Ampascher's brain was downloaded before his unfortunate demise and he will be chief finalizer.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    One more to 400!!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever. 400!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading all the wild guesses here, any bets that whatever DH finally announces will be a big letdown?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file