Home U.S. Coin Forum

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Documentaries....

Michael Moore will make his own after receiving several body bags.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>

<< <i>Here are my next two guesses. Hope we aen't allowed one per post. Sorry in advance.

1. Labels with urainium on/in them. It startedt in the 1800's, but, continues today in the glass industry. They add urainium to glass and it tints the glass to a yellowish color. When exposed to black light, it glows a bright green. This could help prevent counterfitting.

2. Imprinting all PCGS coins with DNA. This is done with baseballs along with hologram labels. This imprinting is non harming to the items, could have the PCGS serial number placed on them. When cracked out, this DNA could help in tracing the coins. What if your coins are stolen at a show, home, etc. The theif can break out the coins from the slabs and sell them raw. Or they can resubmit them to PCGS for recertification. When newly graded, they can be sold without tracing them right now. But with this new method, tracking is very possible. This can/has been very lucretive. Or, the coins are sold to a dealer. Since they are raw, the dealer knows no better. He sells the coin to a collector and they submit it to PCGS. Or he/she submits it to gain a huge profit. The DNA is invisable. Thusly, when presented to PCGS, a log is maintained. They can see the coins are stolen, alert the local authorities/FBI and an investigation is conducted. The theif is caught unknowingly by a mark. This is the same as Low Jack on a car in a way.

Just my fifty cents. Ray >>

The speculation I heard today is that THE BIG ONE will be computer grading. >>

As in, each coin will be graded by a computer? PCGS does have a patent on this I think.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    100 point grading scale.

Laser Inscribing coins.
    PCGS opens an online numismatic bookstore featuring digital books from antique to modern.

additionally, HRH soon pays me $5 to stop posting to this thread
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    PCGS to start a Coinfacts for World coins or to incorporate World coins into Coinfacts.

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is going to start grading So-Called Dollars and Medals.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    PCGS is changing their name .... to .... ???
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really hope it's an alternative to eBay. >>

Me too. If not PCGS, please somebody!
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • They are going to partner with NGC or buy them out.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • a new online & paper "price guide" that includes auctions & ebay.

finally someone kicks to the curb ....greysheet

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • ponderitponderit Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be true. Page 47 of CW. Full page ad:
    The BIG One
    is Coming!
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty

<< <i>It must be true. Page 47 of CW. Full page ad:
    The BIG One
    is Coming! >>

I just hope it doesn't weigh 5 ounces with a diameter of 3 inches and have a slab around it.

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    This is getting ridicoulus!!! I hope it really betters the hobby!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>This is getting ridicoulus!!! I hope it really betters the hobby!! >>

I agree! I want to know If I should continue waiting for the announcement to submit my coins or submit now. I feel i'm being left in the dark with only a little match way way way way way way in the distance. I can handle christmas coming once a year on December 25th but not if you start talking about it on Jan. 1st.! JL
    Collector of Modern Sprockets!

Don't hate on Moderns. Your Kids and Grandkids are going to pay out the A$$ for them when they're your age!
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up after about 300 posts, but has anyone suggested slabbing coin rolls? Perhaps they will use an X-Ray machine to determine what coins are in the roll, and what condition they are in? They would be slabbed in a very large slab, this called the "Big One"?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be big it toke up three pages in "Coin World".
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well......I feel strongly both waysimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    Shouldn't a wee bit of Castor oil solve that problem much sooner?
  • 24 days to go. image
    24 more ideas that I hope I haven't repeated....

oh help me! maybe I'll pay $1000 to find out....
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>24 days to go. image >>

imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

I think PCGS is going to launch it's own magazine/trade publication.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimage >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PCGS will start a licensing procedure for PCGS dealers.image
  • I think the change to the serial number on the slab adding 'additional information' may be a clue. Perhaps PCGS will be assigning a number to surface and strike like NGC ancients...
    BGG
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Coins can be photographed and blown up for picture framing, or pictures sent to be painted as original art.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    all modern coin grading will be free of charge!!! image
    "It is what it is."
  • I bought a $300 Million lottery ticket with the drawing that day so the BIG news is that I'm going to win!!!!! Woohoo!!! Free coins for all!!!!image
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see they took 3 full pages in the new Coin World for the "big announcement" I am sure the biggest thing on that day will still be my sons 16th birthday.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimage >>

image >>

well, after all the anticipation....

it better be HUGE....

anyway, I'm still working for either the $1000 or $5 to just go away...

PCGS inspires the YN new members with an educational kit and a free collectors start up kit for the modern minted business strikes of their choice.

PCGS will cross for half the current price... unless it is NGC then it is 1/4th the current price.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I hear they are going to start slabbing the gum which comes with baseball cards.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • I KNOW I KNOW!! there going to have price guids for ALL WORLD COINS and not just U.S coins !?!?!?!?!? Would love to find out what my 2003 $10 gold NewZealand ONE RING coin is worth since they are limited to 1,300 world wide image
  • IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭
    Start offering franchises??
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Start offering franchises?? >>

One of the better ones.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The BIG one?image

I was thinking too hard. It is the BIG slab for the BIG park quarters. image

So simple.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>Start offering franchises?? >>

One of the better ones. >>

yeah.... they could be run by Chinese.....

PCGS assays and certifies PM and non-PM bars.

Don't break the seal and PCGS will guarantee it.

<< <i>I hear they are going to start slabbing the gum which comes with baseball cards. >>

I don't know about slabbing it, but you could probably use it for crackouts. More like, cutouts.
  • After carefully analyzing the profitable collectible coin market, PCGS will now partner with HSN to 'colorize' any coin with a 'Genuine" designation for an additional low fee and include a special 'colorized' designation.
    "I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way." - Franklin Pierce Adams

Positive BST Transactions: kalshacon
    Seminars taught online.

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..........i want to be part of the Big One
  • A new drop off location that would speed up submission returns would be nice. I can't believe there is 700 posts.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • perhaps every coin valued at 1,000 dollars or more could be graded for free by PCGS? this would mean many more coins would be submitted and therefore nearly all of the valuable ones would end up in PCGS holders over time.

or maybe there will be a huge influx of young people and women into the hobby! image

realistically though i'm sure it has something to do with photography and/or the internet as these tools are now essential to this great hobby.
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • PCGS developed its own alternative to Acetone for dipping. Not only is it safe to use in an enclosed environment, you can also drink it when your done - implementing the idea of drinking the "kool-aid".

• << <i>PCGS developed its own alternative to Acetone for dipping. Not only is it safe to use in an enclosed environment, you can also drink it when your done - implementing the idea of drinking the "kool-aid". >>

and you can dip the entire slab!!
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PS...Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field. But I promise you you'll love it! In February, 1986, we flicked a switch and changed the market...we're going to flick another switch on March 25...

HRH >>

Well, since DLRC has it's own TPG with DGS wouldn't it be cool if PCGS set up their own auction house to compete with Ebay, DLRC and HA? image
    DLRC is okay, but I think at this point in time, it's safe to say that everyone loathes Ebay. So I hope that's what the big one is!
    Dwayne Sessom
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    "you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field", this opening statement and your pcgs handle "homerunhall" leads me to think that pcgs will be grading sports memorabilia or forming a baseball team----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • PCGS perfects computerized grading which has multi-purpose use as follows.
      Coin is pre-graded by computer before the three coin-in-hand experts take their own shots, thus providing more uniformly consistent grading.
      The same technology measures depth of residual luster and detects coin doctoring through previously unknown diagnostic characteristics.
      High quality images of obverse and reverse are a by-product of the technology by default and the images are automatically uploaded to PCGS web site where potential bidders/buyers can pre-verify a PCGS slabbed coin is authentic for a nominal $1 fee.
      Coins returned in genuine slabs benefit via technology providing all problems detected that warranted no grade, thereby reducing submitter frustration like "What the...??? Exactly what the %#@&amp; was wrong with this coin?"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file