Home U.S. Coin Forum

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    A service will be available to have a panel of experts at PCGS to allow specific coins with great pedigrees or stories to be identified. For example, I have several barber halves that may or may not be from the Emery-Nichols or Norweb sales and these could be sent to PCGS for verification of important pedigrees by their experts, many of whom may have first-hand memory of seeing the coin before and knowing a lot of history of the coin. This and other information could be combined with photos and a pamphlet or PDF made that would be an heirloom document to go with the coin.
    Dr. Pete
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Frequently described in recent months as "The Big One" by PCGS Co-Founder and Collectors Universe President, David Hall, the revelation will be made at 10:30 a.m. in Room 108 of the Fort Worth, Texas Convention Center. The public is invited to attend the announcement and demonstrations to be made by Hall and PCGS President Don Willis on opening day of the American Numismatic Association National Money Show™.

"We will unveil the 'next step, the new way, The Big One,' and it's going to change coin grading for the better," said Hall who has been offering tantalizing hints about the new PCGS service since last fall.

"We believe this will totally revolutionize the coin grading business," Willis added. "When PCGS first started grading coins in 1986, it was the most significant development ever for the protection of the coin collecting public. We will unveil the next giant step in further protecting the consumer."

Detailed information will be posted on the PCGS web site at about noon, Central Time, on March 25."

I wonder if they're going to a 100 point grading system.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been guessed but the finalizer for each coin will now be a forum poll requiring 70% approval. I almost said an EBay poll of our "favorite" selected dealers, but they're too busy self-slabbing their rare finds from China. The second big thing is that PCGS has finally figured out that a hit man is a cheaper solution for the coin doctor issue than buybacks. The smaller thing is free jelly donuts with each order (I'm sure Bear already guessed that one).
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will announce a newly created investment fund (or funds) backed entirely by PCGS slabbed high grade classic coinage and/or currency.
    They will also roll out custom software for making real time trades and for numismatic inventory.
    After this HRH will announce his candidacy for President.

Actually...at this point there have been so many guesses, that when the Big One(s) are finally announced, I'm thinking the community will likely say "THAT'S what we've been waiting all this time for?" image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They're closing shop, moving to Nepal, and will follow the path of Don Taxay toward Enlightenment.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    I'm still hoping for a more useful slab with edgeview and somekind of top label like SEGS or ANACS.

• << <i>Shouldn't it be renamed, "Two Big Ones and One Smaller One"? image >>

aka... a not-so-well endowed "surprise" with alot of chutzpah... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're closing shop, moving to Nepal, and will follow the path of Don Taxay toward Enlightenment. >>

NAAAA . . . Just to Costa Rica ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • so my guesses would be

01-: Photo recognition software (fingerprinting),

02 -PQ or .5 designation,

03- marketing/pricing structure for the PQ designation
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two large cokes and a small pizza.image
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I have not been reading these posts,as it would take all day image

A few more guesses..

PCGS will buy CAC
    PCGS will buy or have some kind of partnership with NGC.
    PCGS will allow NGC coins in their registry sets.
    PCGS will ban all coin docs from submitting coins.
    Something has to be associated with adding more digits in their bar code . NGC coins have more digits image

Maybe a few more guesses later.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    "as of my post Saturday 2-6 at 7:00 Pacific time no one was close."

image very intriguing.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A version of "Ultrasound" scanning as an authentication tool.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I promise you you'll love it!

and what goes with that promise if we don't love it??
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The label inserts will have holograms or other measures to prevent counterfeiting slabs.
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to read this entire thread to see if it has been said already (and it may very well have, but perhaps not in this way) but my guess as to the BIG ONE (or THREE) is:

1. Computerized grading (with human finalizer and verification) - took 2 years to perfect - will make coin grading MUCH faster, hopefully.
    2. Some sort of association with NGC or other leading TPG service (merger perhaps?) - took 6 months to work out things - not sure why, but possible.
    3. New, counterfeit proof, slab - took 2 months to develop and will hopefully stop the onslaught of counterfeit PCGS slabs on the market.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're closing shop, moving to Nepal, and will follow the path of Don Taxay toward Enlightenment. >>

I was thinking maybe Costa Rica, but I believe it is already taken. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• No out and out denial; looks like the prize is getting split?image
  • Who do you think won? (This question will drive this thread over 1000)image
  • zodiac65zodiac65 Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    Well, from way out in left field, makes me think about radical changes in coin identification, coin authentication, coin conservation, and the slab itself. I can see high-tech and computers involved, but not for grading. Grading is more of an art than a science, so computers can get the technical grade right, but may never account for all of the asthetics of luster, toning, eye-appeal, etc. People must grade coins. Here are my guesses -

Identification: PCGS has found a way to digitally image a coin using lasers. So the image is ultra-high resolution, and, a hologram. A three dimensional digital fingerprint for each coin. Computer software can compare this digital fingerprint against a database to see if a coin is a re-submission. The image can also be compared against a template example of the coin to immediately flag potential counterfeits.

Authentication: There is already elemental analysis listed on patterns. Weight is always easy. PCGS has found a way to get a quick electron-microsope scan of the coin. Computer software can compare the structure of the electron scan against the expected metallic structure of a genuine coin.

Conservation: PCGS has created a clear, inert gel to immerse the coin in. Conserves the coin, keeps out air & pollution. Of course, it is also easily removed. Helps make a one-piece slab possible...

The slab: PCGS has found way to take the coin in the gel, a label, and a chip (which contains the digital hologram), and inject a one-piece slab around the whole deal. Only PCGS can open the one-piece slab.

Maybe I'm out in left field! Cheers!
    "They lost because their phenoms failed to phenominate." - Yogi Berra
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    While I have read some of the posts I have not read all so excuse me if my guess
    has already been brought up.
    PCGS will make money or at the minimum increase the value of the PCGS brand.

Three things:
    a) PCGS will make a liquidity market for wholesalers of PCGS coins. There will be a sight unseen buy from PCGS wholesalers
    and a sell price that it will sell to "only PCGS wholesalers". They will make $ on the difference. They will greatly increase the demand
    for their product. The effect on their competitors will be immediate. CAC will become irrelevant, although PCGS could incorporate
    a buy / sell for CAC coins...if they so wanted. They could also incorporate a seperate buy / sell for other brands if they choose. This is the Big One.
    b) PCGS will open a web based auction service, similar to teletrade. Only PCGS coins will be sold. PCGS makes $ on commission and
    provides a outlet for excess inventory from their liquidity market. The auction will increase visibility for the PCGS brand. Perhaps other tpg slabs would be sold for a higher commission.
    c) I am torn on this one so I will give some ideas I like. Slab enhancement to fight counterfitting. or Increasing the number of coins they grade by expanding
    to more world coins by expanding their date range, or net grading coins vs. the 'hidden' codes on genuine coins, possibly incorporating a conservation service of their own..perhaps in conjunction with a PCGS sub label brand for the net graded coins. Issues will be clearly labled. I see a definite demand for this product
    so $ is to be made + think of all the slabbed or bb coins they have graded or sent back that will be sent in. This would be a good move for the business.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigger than Woodstock ?

HE>I

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

"PCGS will allow NGC coins in their registry sets."

I believe that Don Willis has stated on this Forum that the above will NEVER happen. image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • 1. Pcgs will have an auction site available for use by only pcgs members and will only allow pcgs coins.
    2. Pcgs will come out with a new slab and date of grade will be available.
    3. Pcgs will designate PQ coins with something similar to the ngc star
  • DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    If "Slab Security" is in the mix - my guess is for Micro Intaglio printing , as used on our paper currency, with some color shifting ink, a custom PCGS font and PCGS hologram would be effective and moderate cost security features..... and end users would only need a magnifying glass, instead of a chip scanner, to verify authenticity....
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

In light of the CAC threads- and, no, I havent read all of the other 800+ posts, so sorry if these were suggested already:

PCGS will guarantee that coins it grades meet CAC green standards for the grade.

PCGS will give customers the option to have their coins submitted directly to CAC following PCGS grading, allowing CAC certification to be printed on the slab insert, instead of the fugly sticker on the outside of the slab.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    How about PCGS buys NGC.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    PCGS opens an east coast facility. Major longshot IMHO

PCGS provides a TrueView scan for every submitted coin at a low cost. Not ground breaking

PCGS merges with Heritage and opens an eBay style auction site for paper, coins ... etc. Mentioned very often here

PCGS moves to Texas. See above guess.

PCGS grades all coins for strike, luster and originality, including cleaned, mistreated, holed coins as well as currently gradable coins. The triple grading resulting in a final averaged grade based upon the 3 input grades, all of which will be available as a descriptor. This is my favorite and probably guessed often.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    PCGS develops and markets a device that allows you to grade and slab coins from the comfort & safety of your own home!
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
    PCGS will start a softball team ,and will play NGC before each show to determine who is best image
    I will pitch ,or play shortstop..
    I will see if DH can really hit homeruns image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Some sort of Counterfeit Detection program.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember if I guessed this already or not, but perhaps a PCGS Certified Numismatist program is in the offing.
  • PCGS will put serial numbers on the edge of coins using microscopic etching to prevent counterfeits
    PCGS and HA will merge and sell PCGS only coins
    PCGS will change to metal slabs
    PCGS will have computerized grading
    PCGS will flood the market with other TPG coins essentially making them worthless
    PCGS will make me the CEO
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
    Since PCGS doesn't like CAC grading their coins..from what I have heard...they will come out with a PQ sticker. It will be blue to match their website colors.
    This will make many pcgs coins sent in to be regraded,as apposed to being sent to CAC.
    pcgs will get the 10.00,rather than CAC.

At auction,the PQ coins will still bring in strong money,no matter what the slab says,as astute buyers do not need PQ or other stickers to know if the coin is PQ,or may be an upgrade possibility.

POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    What makes you think that we are astute buyers?imageimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

While increasing the likelihood of the right coin being sent to the wrong person, all orders will be sent anonymously to the graders with just the order number and no name, thus ruling out any possibility of an unconscious bias that may exist.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    To make it more secret, in addition to no name, the grader will not be
    allowed to even see the coin. How's that for impartial.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

John Albanese

Certified Acceptance Corp.

Bedminster, New Jersey

1-908-781-9101

CAC KEEPING STRICT STANDARDS

Change may be in the air at one or more coin grading services, but dealers, collectors and investors will find business as usual at Certified Acceptance Corp. (CAC).

That’s the company’s message to the hobby in the wake of reports that at least one of the two largest grading services is considering the establishment of “premium-quality” grade designations.

CAC examines and evaluates coins that have been certified by either the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) or the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America (NGC). It then affixes a distinctive green sticker to the holder of each coin which, in its judgment, fully merits the grade that was assigned. Each sticker incorporates a tamper-evident hologram.

According to Albanese, CAC will continue to evaluate submissions, and determine whether to award stickers to those coins, strictly in the context of the basic numerical grades assigned by either PCGS or NGC. He said it will disregard any additional descriptive words or symbols.

“We don’t want buyers and sellers to get the impression that by stickering a coin, CAC is confirming someone else’s ‘PQ’ designation,” Albanese said.

CAC makes a market in coins that it has stickered, and its disregard of PQ-type designations will be reflected in its buying and selling prices.

“For example, CAC’s bid price for an 1892-O Barber quarter graded MS65 is $1,150,” Albanese said. “If the coin was graded PQ and had a CAC sticker, our buy price would remain the same – $1,150. If it had a star plus our sticker, we’d still pay $1,150. And if it came with an asterisk or a rainbow or a halo, we’d still pay $1,150 – as long as it had a sticker.”

Since opening for business in late 2007, CAC has received more than 144,000 submissions from member dealers and collectors, and has awarded green stickers to just over 68,000 of these. The declared insurance value of these coins totals about $800 million.

To date, the company has bought and sold CAC-stickered coins with a wholesale trading volume of nearly $150 million.

Further information about CAC, including directions on how to apply for membership and where to obtain CAC-stickered coins, can be found at the company’s Web site, www.caccoin.com.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While increasing the likelihood of the right coin being sent to the wrong person, all orders will be sent anonymously to the graders with just the order number and no name, thus ruling out any possibility of an unconscious bias that may exist. >>

I am pretty sure it is already done that way.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And HRH is either forced to write a check to John Albanese or poof his own thread.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I was getting ready to post the email I got from CAC today but I see it was just posted.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will have to be the slab of the future. It is the only slab big enough to fit everything that is going to be put on it.

This big one (Regency slab) has got to come back on March 25th!

If the coin doesn't slab then there is always a body bag to hide it in (or show it off) - take your pick.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

• << <i> That’s the company’s message to the hobby in the wake of reports that at least one of the two largest grading services is considering the establishment of “premium-quality” grade designations. >>

I don't think JA would release this statement unless there was some concrete indication that "PQ= The Big One".

Yet dozens have guessed "PQ" in this thread, which is not even close according to HRH.

The mystery deepens.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • A new methodology to grade problem coins, so that all coins can receive a grade.
  • 1. Teaming up with a Bloomberg, CNBC or some other financial news information service provider to create an officially recognized index / quotation for certain coins.

2. Opening submission centres all over the world.
  • coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Ok, I can't resist any longer. My apologies to the hundreds that have gone before - I've not read all your posts.

1) PCGS will take microscopically detailed, digital, three dimensional images of all coins submitted (and probably has been for the past 6 months).
    2a) The image will be on a microchip embedded in the PCGS holder.
    2b) The image will be available on the web via the coins PCGS serial number.

2) With appropriate software (available at CCE) you will be able to view the coins in 3D space (e.g. tilt them back and forth to see hairlines), as well as the more typical size and contrast manipulation. This will become the standard for buying and selling PCGS coins.

3) For counterfeit detection, people can compare the image on the web with the coin in the holder. Dealers will be able to purchase a device that will make the comparison for them at a microscopic level, using the information in the microchip. There will be lots of additional encrypted information on the microchip to aid with counterfeit detection.

4) Many of the activities of "coin doctors" will be detectable in the detailed images, automatically, before the coin is placed in the holder.

5) You will be able to resubmit a coin for re-grade merely by referencing the images - and the grading fee will be less! You only need to send in the physical coin to get it placed in a new holder.

6) The "crack out artists" and others will develop software to examine the images to find candidates for upgrades. Similarly for finding unattributed varieties. Alternatively, PCGS will do this and add its own "*" or CAC system to the coin's grade.

HRH, I'll accept double the cash in PCGS grading fee credits image

Enjoy!

Richard

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    there will be a collaboration with he US Mint so that PCGS becomes the disributer of mint collector material

PCGS will be in charge of distribution of sales

PCGS will sell stuff graded or raw and will adjust prices on MS70s or PR70s depending on rarity
    PCGS will open branch offices at San Francisco, Denver and Phiadelphia

PCGS anticipates an additionional 10 million gradings per year with this collaboration
  • There will be no need to send your coins to CAC- HRH and the family are buying CAC and will have the CAC inserted inside the holder OR

inserts that are in gold or green will represent its level of "PQ" along with the grade.

any one will be able to join PCGS for free, but to register your sets will cost 1 dollar per coin.

PCGS will now allow NGC graded coins to registry sets that meet the minimum grade of ms67 or pr69dcam.

you will now be able to find through the cert # when the coin was graded (ie- 1986, 1999)...

just a few thoughts..
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another guess...from perhaps from the left field parking lot...

Coins or coin lots will be officially traded on one of the stock exchanges or the futures market.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • PCGS Conservation Services has been to long in coming. Glad to see it.
    pjlcoins on ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file