Home U.S. Coin Forum

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS will put a smart chip in the holder that when scanned will be a true way of stopping counterfiet slabs. >>

This is a great idea >>

Kinda like the rfid idea posted on page 5 of this thread only without the gps capability.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a sealed coin slab with the coin perpetually immersed in "dip" cleaner ?

That should take care of the spotting problem image

Watch out for bubbles !
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to help the newbies and those innocents inheriting grandpa's collection:
    all attributed varieties will be listed in the pop report and price report.
    links on both reports will point towards coinfacts for diagnostic info and there will be links in the column headers pointing to photo grade.
    users submitting coins will still have to choose to pay for a variety attribution, but will not have to specify which since PCGS determines that.
    having all the info linked off once source page will make it easier for the newbies to value collections and spot varieties... especially in light of the seeming impending decline in eBay sales as a reference point.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final guess, among many others. PCGS will provide individual feedback on each coin submitted for grading, telling the submitter why and how it scored what it did. This info will be linked to cert number so everyone can understand it.
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • PCGS is coming out with a new truly air tight holder
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

pcgs & ngc are going to become one........................image
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Truview will be complimentary with every grading and will be used to identify coins that have been AT'd in the holder or tampered with in the holder.
    2. PCGS will offer it's own stickering program. image
    3. PCGS will now designate coins as AT or QT, and if they determine QT, you will get a certificate for a free grading.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>pcgs & ngc are going to become one........................ >>

I know this is a joke - but I sure hope it does not happen. Strong competition is a good thing.
    Finem Respice
  • BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 394 ✭✭
    Pcgs will be offering coin insurance is my guess.
  • DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    Mixed Submissions will be allowed.

Moderns, Classics, Errors, Varities and Canadian coins will be accepted on the same Submission Form.
    Quarterly Specials will no longer be a specified category or type...
    PCGS staffs up to make the price guide the go to place for ALL coin prices.... the Greysheets will eventually fold(ha!).

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Everyone in this picture will be inducted into the PCGS user hall of fame. They will all get a free trip to Calif, and a chance to play poker against David Hall for $10,000

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please send your want list to PCGS..they are going to start buying and selling. Total domination of the Coin market.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will become the official grader for ebay.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Just a WAG....

There will be no more pay for grading/slabbing. You will buy "memberships" at different levels that will allow you certain quantities of "free" submissions in addition to access to coinfacts, price guides, pop reports, etc.

The memberships will be priced such that you commit to a year or more but can make monthly payments.
  • The answer is very simple- #1 is PCGS will have their own selling board to cut into ebay. Or #2 is they will have a computer scan of coins graded so give consistancy to grading. My money is on number 1 because they can make money and this world is all about the money.
    Some other ideas that crossed my mind...

PCGS will have it's own TV program

and / or

Public access to the grading room. Tour through and watch the grading take place on the other side of the glass wall.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    For the high end slabbed coins you will be able to have the label insert done with gold, silver,platinum or bronze instead of the standard paper.
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    With so many potentially earthshaking scenarios, can we therefore be faulted for withholding any new submissions for PCGS grading until after The Big One eventuates?
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will establish their own coin auction. That idea isn't new. But to be a market sensation like back in 1986, PCGS will have these stipulations for their auction:

1- Coin/s must be graded by them before the auction or have already been slabbed by PCGS "Only".
    2- In order to auction a coin, you must be a paid member of Collector's Universe and a paid member of their auction facility.
    3- You submit the coin directly to PCGS. They photograph it professionally and set up each coin auction per your wants and their options.
    4- PCGS guarantees the authenticity, the grade according to current PCGS standards, the actual coin that the bidder/winner will receive on a timely, insured basis.
    5- Auction fees will be considerably less than current Ebay/Paypal fees.
    6- PCGS sets the standard "again" for offering an avenue for buying and selling the top, most desirable coins in the world !!
    Result.... PCGS increases their influence, greatly increases their income, and is second to none as the best TPG Co.

Send the winner's check to me anytime after 3/25/10. Have a Great Day !!
    Specialized Investments

"PCGS will make a significant announcement that will forever change the Internet and its impact on consumers, businesses and governments."

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the answer,,,,,,,, image

Since the 2010 State Quarter design selections will be revealed March 24th "The Big One" MUST be connected with this Historic event.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have the answer,,,,,,,, image

Since the 2010 State Quarter design selections will be revealed March 24th "The Big One" MUST be connected with this Historic event.

GrandAm image >>

Are there more states to be commemorated? Thought this series ended in 2008, D.C. and territories in 2009, with the National State Parks there after. Maybe you're right, they are all under the same 'umbrella' of "fancy" quarters to start people collecting.
    Paul

Grader apprenticeships to bring in fresh meat.

Shareholder Benefits.

The end of cracking and cac'ing with counterstamped grades!

• 16 days to go.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>16 days to go. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    My official guess: PCGS will start an auction site.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will store coins onsite and sell fractional shares in them.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

making a marketplace for the coins, offering to buy and sell them based on different prices if the coins are above average, average or below average.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    A really BIG ONE would be to forestall and overcome the trend towards better and better coin forgeries being produced, an enormous threat to numismatics, probably the greatest single threat by far. I can imagine PCGS employing the latest refinements in laser spectroscopy and x-ray spectroscopy to defeat most kinds of otherwise excellent forgeries, because those technologies can instantly measure both the exact metallic composition (even finding elements present below one part per million) and surface properties of coins (thus finding the tiniest telltale disturbances). It might take another century for forgers to catch up, and even then, the tremendous effort involved in making unrecognizable forgeries might render them unprofitable in almost all cases.

Before making this guess, I read all previous posts, not at one sitting, and some others were close to this same idea, but I don't recall anyone mentioning the key technology of spectroscopy.
  • I think it will be something similiar to what ANACS is doing the their holders .. a new tamper resistant authenticity labels with the ability to also provide ALL the data and facts regarding the coin.
    Grade, pedigree, date, denomination, date of certification, etc.

Kudos to whatever David Hall has up his sleeve this month! PS - The man is a first-class act whatever they do .. just like PCGS! image
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A really BIG ONE would be to forestall and overcome the trend towards better and better coin forgeries being produced, an enormous threat to numismatics, probably the greatest single threat by far. I can imagine PCGS employing the latest refinements in laser spectroscopy and x-ray spectroscopy to defeat most kinds of otherwise excellent forgeries, because those technologies can instantly measure both the exact metallic composition (even finding elements present below one part per million) and surface properties of coins (thus finding the tiniest telltale disturbances). It might take another century for forgers to catch up, and even then, the tremendous effort involved in making unrecognizable forgeries might render them unprofitable in almost all cases.

Before making this guess, I read all previous posts, not at one sitting, and some others were close to this same idea, but I don't recall anyone mentioning the key technology of spectroscopy. >>

But can they do it in a few seconds per coin - which is the pace they need to sustain.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Kudos to whatever David Hall has up his sleeve this month! PS - The man is a first-class act whatever they do .. just like PCGS! image >>

Just covering your bases in case the big one is rewards for sucking up? Good idea. Mr Hall, I like you even more than mysterycoinman. image
    PCGS starts a pay-for service called "ask the experts," users can pay by subscription or one-time fees. The questions and answers will remain in a database, can be edited and updated by the staff, however they will still make a killing since no one will use the cheaper and faster search previously asked questions option.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15 days
    may the fonz be with you...always...
    will this hit 800 today?

+1

+2

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will be the official grading company of the ANA
  • gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    800 Will we make 1000 so it will be $1 for each reply?image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decimal grading will be debuted as the big one... you can now own a PCGS MS67.5 imageimage

Seriously I feel the Big One might be the addition of PQ for Premium Quality examples image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Maybe a guaranteed buy back program?
  • Be able to buy and sell coins from "Approved" CEC Dealers on PCGS website
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinfacts free again ?????????
    i mean, whats the big secret anyway?
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • PCGS has found a solution for healthcare reform; what could be bigger than that.image

<< <i>PCGS has found a solution for healthcare reform; what could be bigger than that.image >>

and it really doesn't increase taxes!

<< <i>Hope you're having fun...we are!!!!!! >>

all new forum members and PCGS members will be taken snipe hunting! line up outside PCGS HQ at 11pm with your bag and flashlight....

(at this point I'm in it or the sport of "can I come up with something non-ridiculous every day?")

steel core, plated steel, etc. and plastic currency.... they are out there already.
    these will be stabilized before holdering and the holders will be sealed from the outside elements.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't it be renamed, "Two Big Ones and One Smaller One"? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file