Home U.S. Coin Forum

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will announce that 5 golden labels have been inserted inbetween two regular labels on coins they have slabbed during the last year. All you have to do is crack out the slab and look for the golden label. The lucky winners will receive an all expense paid trip to PCGS where they will get a tour of the grading facility.....
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am tired of listening to the ones I know tell me how they just made big bucks fooling the graders.
    These guys need to be banned from all shows and being pcgs dealers.
    If I were king,I would put them in jail,but I am not..

PQPeace..... I just made you KING! Who are these dealers?
  • Too many to count
  • SaamSaam Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    This Is It!

Beginning March 29, 2010 Collectors Universe will become the newest Online Marketplace. The innovative new site will be named "eBuy" and will give the popular eBay site a run for their money. All Collectors Universe paid members will be able to list items at no initial cost and will only pay a final value fee equivalent to half what eBay currently charges. All items being auctioned that have Tru-View pictures on file with Collectors Universe will also have direct links to the Tru-View pictures on the listing for no cost. And, best of all.... Collectors Universe will debut their new Online Payment Service named "PayNow" that will charge 25% less than the popular PayPal service and accounts that maintain a balance of over $500 will earn a minimum of 2.5% interest!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This Is It!

Beginning March 29, 2010 Collectors Universe will become the newest Online Marketplace. The innovative new site will be named "eBuy" and will give the popular eBay site a run for their money. All Collectors Universe paid members will be able to list items at no initial cost and will only pay a final value fee equivalent to half what eBay currently charges. All items being auctioned that have Tru-View pictures on file with Collectors Universe will also have direct links to the Tru-View pictures on the listing for no cost. And, best of all.... Collectors Universe will debut their new Online Payment Service named "PayNow" that will charge 25% less than the popular PayPal service and accounts that maintain a balance of over $500 will earn a minimum of 2.5% interest! >>

Heaven on Earth or
    CoinHeaven OnLine image

HE>I

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the PCGS museum.

utilizing the expertise of its dealers and collectors, it will become the worlds go to source of information. Even their wiki pages wil be world respected, especially by the chinese once they have managed to include their die types.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Hi Grip,

I only know a handfull of coin docs..well maybe a few more than that..
    As you already know..if these names are published on a forum like this,lawyers will be put to work real soon.

I will be taking a class at the ANA summer seminar in July where we will talk all about how many things that can be done to coins to make their value higher.
    I of course only want to learn how to stay away from these coins..

If I were a grader,I would wear protective gloves before touching some of these coins image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Saam

I was going to post the same guess.....

It would be fantastic if Collectors Universe offered a real online auction site for coins, with so many people P'od at EBAY and their fee ripoffs, this would be welcomed news.

Couple that with an online payment system, standardize returns - maybe none, no chargebacks, the best of all worlds.
    PQpeace
    Thank's for the reply.The sad part is your probably right.
  • JohnCoJohnCo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    1 PCGS has a new tamper proof holder. Anyone who can counterfeit the new holder will get a million dollars.

2 Collectors can submit coins directly to PCGS.

3 All coins slabbed will have pictures online to validate the coin.

4 PCGS will use all the good ideals from this thread.

5 All coins NOT slabbed will be free of charge, submitter pays handling fee.

6 All coins not crossed from other holders equal grade, will be free of charge.

7 PCGS and NGC will merge.

8 PCGS will set up an East Coast grading service.

9 PCGS will guarantee coins slabbed and returned by the dead line or slabbing fee is free.

10 PCGS will purchase back any coin they overgraded at current market price.

11 PCGS is reducing the cost of the slabbing fee during the current economic times.

12 PCGS plans to attend at least one show in every state once a year.

13 PCGS will buy back all counterfeit coins they have slabbed.

14 A micro processor will be in every holder to validate a coin. Dealers will be able to scan the coin for authenticity.

15 PCGS will allow non PCGS coins in the registry with a penalty.

16 PCGS is going to fix Ebay (well maybe).

17 David Hall is inviting everyone to Sunday dinner.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second try has to do with the ANA. There Logo back again?
    PCGS will launch exchange traded funds for investing in various PMs and other metals like nickel, copper, and zinc.

As your money becomes worthless, at least this money won't.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    PCGS becomes a dealer and sells graded products from foreign mints.

This boosts the sales of China silver as people who are afraid of buying raw coins from China will finally have a source.... as long as PCGS does not open a branch in China.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that matches the hoopla and promise that HRH talked about is adding an auction site to Collector's Corner. If anyone can slay, eBay, it is PCGS (for certified collectibles at least). The Chinese counterfeit problem demands it, and eBay's lack of collector-friendliness insures it and the greediness of Pay pal makes it essential for success.

Buy more CLCT quick.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • <<Buy more CLCT quick. >>

Already did.image
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great idea Rick... An ebay style auction format on the Collectors Corner for those prized TPG coins. image
    Coins can now be fixed priced with a buy it now, make an offer, or just actual bidding.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will no longer charge for submissions; tru-view images will be supplied free of charge in lieu of shipping the coins back to you as PCGS will now retain them for "safekeeping" and to recreate the POP reports.
  • The only thing that matches the hoopla and promise that HRH talked about is adding an auction site to Collector's Corner. If anyone can slay, eBay, it is PCGS (for certified collectibles at least). The Chinese counterfeit problem demands it, and eBay's lack of collector-friendliness insures it and the greediness of Pay pal makes it essential for success.

Geez, I hope that doesn't happen. I think PCGS would ream us collectors more than Ebay. No THANK YOU. I'm all for another alternative auction though, just not controlled by PCGS.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, collectors corner is controlled by the posting dealers, not PCGS. Dealers set their own terms. Dealers make their own descriptions and images.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • If the price structure was more reasonable than eBay's, I could see CC replacing eBay overnight for coin auctions. they have the clout to pull it off. I would use them.
  • I am surprised nobody has guessed PCGS found a cure for milk spots, adding a new service to their line up.

Probably not big enough...

I think adding additional grades/descriptions for strike, luster, etc would be revolutionary, compared to what is currently available.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is producing a series of Broadway Shows, each one about a different US Type Coin.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, collectors corner is controlled by the posting dealers, not PCGS. Dealers set their own terms. Dealers make their own descriptions and images. >>

well if it was that open and uncontrolled.. why would it not eventually suffer the
    same problems as ebay?
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Coins facts included with a paid PCGS Collectors CLub membership.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • PCGS will net grade coins with damages (ie - AT, cleaned, scratched) & will provide truview service as part of the submission free to counter counterfeits.

<< <i>PCGS will net grade coins with damages (ie - AT, cleaned, scratched) & will provide truview service as part of the submission free to counter counterfeits. >>

Please send the drugs.I will pay postage image
    Scholarships for design students.

Award money will go unused as people will realize there is no money in it.
  • With DH not responding anymore, one of two things come to mind, either....

- It has been mentioned or;
    - PCGS is giving the $ 1000 to the best idea, something they will look into possibly doing.

<< <i>With DH not responding anymore, one of two things come to mind, either....

- It has been mentioned or; >>

that &/or this thread is not "reply worthy" anymore

PCGS starts its own reality tv show. PCGS makes even more money from dealers who were accidentally taped ripping grandma and who don't want the heirs to know.

PCGS will counter the crackers with a "Grades on Approval" service

PCGS starts an educational saturday short series on numismatic grading similar to Schoolhouse Rocks however pcgs is instead credited with more kids turning off the tv.

• A new program on market value. Showing prices of slabbed, raw at current prices.
    new initiative...

slabbing medals, rounds, etc. of various larger-than-current sizes ... especially up to 5 ounces and 3 inches in diameter.

PCGS partners with a global financial institution for numismatic related business: coin purchase financing, not-totally-safe deposit boxes, bullion storage, etc.

PCGS encourages the GSA and FRB to release boxes of coins to the public. Initially, these will be half dollars and Ikes sold in amounts to fill out the dead space in the Flate Rate Priority Mail boxes used for return shipping. In 2011, the Post Office announces an initiative of their own.

DW and HRH drive around giving out coins to the kids from their car windows. Instead of dimes, it will have to be golden dollars and half dollars since that is what the FRB wants to get rid of.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A slab for those 5 oz. Parks silver slugs?
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will combine with the other coin TV programs and meld them together as one. All coins will be certified. The host will be David Hall. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• SaamSaam Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This Is It!

Beginning March 29, 2010 Collectors Universe will become the newest Online Marketplace. The innovative new site will be named "eBuy" and will give the popular eBay site a run for their money. All Collectors Universe paid members will be able to list items at no initial cost and will only pay a final value fee equivalent to half what eBay currently charges. All items being auctioned that have Tru-View pictures on file with Collectors Universe will also have direct links to the Tru-View pictures on the listing for no cost. And, best of all.... Collectors Universe will debut their new Online Payment Service named "PayNow" that will charge 25% less than the popular PayPal service and accounts that maintain a balance of over $500 will earn a minimum of 2.5% interest! >>

Dear Mr. Hall

Since gold is getting close to $1,000 an ounce I would like to have a PCGS graded First Strike MS69 1 oz American Buffalo instead of a check.

Thank you, Saam

Grading Comics

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    slabs that cannot be opened without damaging the coin
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>slabs that cannot be opened without damaging the coin >>

Yea...right. I'm sure this would be popular with PCGS customers.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• can this thred keep going for another 4 weeks?
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Each slab will now have a GPS device in it, that way PCGS can tell where any coin is at any time!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Theft insurance for coins.
    lojack?

left field...

new initiative...

announced at an ANA meeting...

Guess the Grades contest at shows where PCGS is in attendance.... unfortunately, everyone will think they are a winner.

and Free Aucthentication Services for the Salvation Army and Goodwill during the major gift giving holidays.

<< <i>can this thred keep going for another 4 weeks? >>

I don't know if I can even come up with something sensible for tomorrow....

• The slabs will now be enviro friendly in advance of the green takeover of America... image
  • I believe PCGS will be making a number of groundbreaking announcements... including a new grading guarantee, a new pricing structure, and a new slab design.

The new grading Guarantee... as predicted earlier, new authentication and grading technology will allow each coin to be guaranteed for $1,000,000.

A new pricing structure... do to both economies of scale, and the technological superiority, of this new authentication technology, the cost of grading each coin will be a flat $19, regardless of coin value!

The new PCGS slabs will be constructed from the very latest advances in carbon nano-technology. This allows the new slabs to be as light as a feather, hard as a diamond, scratch proof, and virtually invisible (with a light transmission rate of 99.999%). In addition, the new glass-like slabs will feature optically convex edges, which magnify the rim of the coin 5x when viewed from the side. For the first time, PCGS will make these new nano-tech slabs in multiple sizes, to house 2, 5, and 12 oz. coins. The exact tare weight of each slab will be imprinted inside them holographically, allowing for precise weighing of the actual coin, for authentication purposes. Moreover, the carbon nano-structure of each individual slab will be engineered with a mathematically unique crystalline structure, which can only be authenticated using the very latest in 3-D electron microscope technology.

As a result of these advances, PCGS graded coins will instantly become the most desired, valuable commodities in the entire universe... and after selling his share of the company, David Hall will finally retire like a King, taking his daily swim in a huge swimming pool filled with gold coins.

(Just kiddin' about that last part)
    Christopher Neal Wyatt

President, Superior Bullion LLC

P.O. Box 8303, Cincinnati, OH, 45208-0303

www.superiorbullion.com
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned, and I'm not about to read through nearly 500 posts to find outimage, but how about slabbing coins without labeling or attribution? Just sealing up a coin for it's protection (for a nominal fee, say$10). I'd use that.image It could work well primarily for world tokens/medals, which I don't think that they currently slab as a priority.
  • JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 11:56AM

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope it's an alternative to eBay.
    When in doubt, don't.

• << <i>I really hope it's an alternative to eBay. >>

+1
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Here are my next two guesses. Hope we aen't allowed one per post. Sorry in advance.

1. Labels with urainium on/in them. It startedt in the 1800's, but, continues today in the glass industry. They add urainium to glass and it tints the glass to a yellowish color. When exposed to black light, it glows a bright green. This could help prevent counterfitting.

2. Imprinting all PCGS coins with DNA. This is done with baseballs along with hologram labels. This imprinting is non harming to the items, could have the PCGS serial number placed on them. When cracked out, this DNA could help in tracing the coins. What if your coins are stolen at a show, home, etc. The theif can break out the coins from the slabs and sell them raw. Or they can resubmit them to PCGS for recertification. When newly graded, they can be sold without tracing them right now. But with this new method, tracking is very possible. This can/has been very lucretive. Or, the coins are sold to a dealer. Since they are raw, the dealer knows no better. He sells the coin to a collector and they submit it to PCGS. Or he/she submits it to gain a huge profit. The DNA is invisable. Thusly, when presented to PCGS, a log is maintained. They can see the coins are stolen, alert the local authorities/FBI and an investigation is conducted. The theif is caught unknowingly by a mark. This is the same as Low Jack on a car in a way.

Just my fifty cents. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are my next two guesses. Hope we aen't allowed one per post. Sorry in advance.

1. Labels with urainium on/in them. It startedt in the 1800's, but, continues today in the glass industry. They add urainium to glass and it tints the glass to a yellowish color. When exposed to black light, it glows a bright green. This could help prevent counterfitting.

2. Imprinting all PCGS coins with DNA. This is done with baseballs along with hologram labels. This imprinting is non harming to the items, could have the PCGS serial number placed on them. When cracked out, this DNA could help in tracing the coins. What if your coins are stolen at a show, home, etc. The theif can break out the coins from the slabs and sell them raw. Or they can resubmit them to PCGS for recertification. When newly graded, they can be sold without tracing them right now. But with this new method, tracking is very possible. This can/has been very lucretive. Or, the coins are sold to a dealer. Since they are raw, the dealer knows no better. He sells the coin to a collector and they submit it to PCGS. Or he/she submits it to gain a huge profit. The DNA is invisable. Thusly, when presented to PCGS, a log is maintained. They can see the coins are stolen, alert the local authorities/FBI and an investigation is conducted. The theif is caught unknowingly by a mark. This is the same as Low Jack on a car in a way.

Just my fifty cents. Ray >>

The speculation I heard today is that THE BIG ONE will be computer grading.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file