Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• Options
    Direct submissions from the public and a guaranteed buy-back of PCGS graded coins at 80% of PCGS Price Guide values.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    David Hall and Laura Sperber announce their engagement. After keeping their love on the QT for so long, they are going to tie the knot!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>David Hall and Laura Sperber announce their engagement. After keeping their love on the QT for so long, they are going to tie the knot!! >>

Are you trying to get yourself banned?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any bets the leadership of PCGS is following this thread and laughing their azzes off?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin facts and a submission memeberships will be all lumped together for one low price.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from way out in left field >>

Actually it looks to be from right field based on the photo.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Google, PCGS has made so much in advertising revenue on their website and on the Collectors Universe forum that they have decided to no longer require collector's club memberships nor will they charge for any of their grading services for collectors. These services will now be provided complementary to all collectors, providing a great benefit to the hobby (the Big One). Of course, dealer's who submit hundreds of modern coins for grading or who submit over a certain amount of coins per year will still be charged grading fees in order to discourge free shots at crackout upgrades.
  • Options
    SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>from way out in left field >>

Actually it looks to be from right field based on the photo. >>

Slab error.
  • Options
    I would like it to be scratch proof holders that allow the coin to be photographed well.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
  • Options
    PCGS will come out with a 3 dimensional hologram of the coin embedded in lucite.
  • Options
    The 100-point grading system makes it's debut........
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has signed up for new coin delivery and will begin offering boxes of new coins and bills straight from the Federal Reserve!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Once again, sorry if anyone has already guessed this but PCGS will create a special 2x2 that will allow the person to take and put the coin back in, yet there will be a way to prevent anyone from replacing the coins.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • Options

PCGS will offer quantity discounts to grade entire collections.

If inherited from grandpa, will also slab him if birth records provided.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think PCGS's registry set system/competition is the single most amazing marketing coo in the coin world. So I am imagining this next "thing,", whatever it is, will be at least as imaginative if not more impressive than the registry program. And without wading through all the pages in this thread, I am hoping my guesses are not a duplication, but perhaps PCGS will:

(1) be offering its own auction services,
    (2) introducing/perfecting some form of computerized grading,
    (3) PCGS will partner with or purchase all Whitman coin shows, and/or
    (4) have figured out a way to keep better track of coins that have been broken out so that population reports will more accurately reflect actual graded coins in existence (perhaps some kind of computer chip being part of the holder that becomes inactive when the holder is cracked or broken?).

Oh, I have one more guess, since PCGS/Collectors Universe and Bowers/Spectrum/NACT are all in Irvine, perhaps they will all merge and forum one company to do grading, auctions, and coin sales.

Again, I apologize if any of these were already mentioned.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    Here is one from Pluto:

The "BIG ONE" I think is quite simple; PCGS or a new subsidiary is going to become a precious metal or coin IRA depository. They all ready have the secure facility; people will transfer their wealth for them to hold because you cannot by law physically hold the product yourself.

I would guess any coin deposited in this new service will be graded and slabbed by PCGS for this purpose; therefore, they will develop a new slab/ holder for this purpose and start a "net grading" scale so any coin can added to your investment account if you hold the coin or their new service if they hold the coin.

This means all coins you presently have raw or slabbed by others that you want to put away for your retirement will need to be resubmitted for this determination. The products presently slabbed by PCGS will automatically qualify. With PCGS holding the coins doctoring and counterfeiting will be minimized.

This will generate new fees for PCGS, and allow people to protect their wealth. This will allow you to roll all or part of your present IRA's and pension plans into PCGS graded coins, or save a portion of new earnings into this new service.
    Investment brokers will now join Coinfacts to get information on sacristy and rarity to properly advise their clients on which coins are the best investments. A database of PCGS dealer inventory will be included in Coinfacts for ease of shopping once a decision is made about which collectable is desired.

PCGS sets the standard for the rare coin market:

1) Accurate population reports can be maintained because people will not be able crack out to resubmit because they will not possess the coin. If the collectable is sold and removed from the system it is placed in the standard PCGS holder and returned to the market place.

2) Counterfeiters are stymied because they will never have access to the system; it is in house only.

3) Coins in the system cannot be doctored.

4) Investors will hopefully see the merit of this system to remove the some of the risk and buy only from registered PCGS dealers and top of the line auction houses putting eBay out of the coin market.

5) It will open the “collectable’s” market to new sources; dealers will want to be PCGS dealers to take advantage of the new market opportunities.

6) PCGS price guides will become the standard for collectable investments.

7) New streams of revenue make PCGS more profitable which allows higher dividends to be paid to shareholders.

8) It can be expanded to include other collectables such as stamps, sports cards, autographs, etc …

This new system will be a win-win for everyone. Buy CLCT stock now while you still can; before it becomes the next Berkshire Hathaway.

This is my WAG; makes sense to me.image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>we really need a countdown

t minus

38 Days >>

37 Days >>

35 Days
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope "the big one" isn't like Fred Sanford's 'big one' and DH plans on visiting Elizabeth on the other side!
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage Auctions, PCGS and NGC Merge to form "Collectors Universe United"
  • Options
    thanks for the cheat thread! +1

PCGS will offer a written appraisal service for insurance porpoises.

beginning in april, shareholders will benefit from the elimination of all product development positions
  • Options
    all new holders will have a micro-chip inside thus making sure it will be genuine and not a manufactured fake.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    microchips can be copied

try an HRH and DW DNA insert. extract small amounts of the DNA to test against known samples.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can wait for the big moment.....you guys seem to have covered every base, and then some!!!!
    Off to find my Island lady for now................image

• Options
    Newman/Kessler numbers on slabs image
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will merge with a major auction company and move from California to Texas.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the cheat thread! +1

PCGS will offer a written appraisal service for insurance porpoises.

beginning in april, shareholders will benefit from the elimination of all product development positions >>

---GREAT!!!! Now we have insurance porpoises! In addition to card sharks and business whales, now we have insurance porpoises.

On the other hand, a porpoise might make a decent insurance rep. They are fairly intelligent, and I doubt they care much about the money.

p.s. My way of saying I think you mean "purposes." imageimage
  • Options
    PCGS will offer PCGS insurance for shipping and also for collections.

PCGS will give numismatic and other necessary training to the Hell's Angels who will then act as post-loss bounty hunters.

• Options
    A new twist on ultimate fighting. You put 1,000 coin collectors in a cage and then throw in a slabbed 1794 silver dollar; last one standing keeps the coin!image
    The TV rights alone will be worth a mint.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! What an awesome way to generate so many ideas, ranging from brilliant to wacky and everything in between image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Aha, I think I have figured it out. The” BIG ONE” is a numismatic Olympics! Every four years PCGS will hold games to determine the best numismatist in their series. We can look forward to events like:

1) Speed VAM identifying
    2) Seated die pairs
    3) 2 or 4 man Breen Team
    4) Identify the stain on a Hawaiian shirt

The contests are endless. The medals will of course be slabbed by PCGS.image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will be leading the world back to "old style" calendar reckoning with a New Year's party on March 25, 2010.

PCGS will be opening a numismatic academy, where people can pay for classes in grading, counterfeit detection, etc. and earn their own certifications in various fields, much like MSFT has done with all their "Certified Professional" programs.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I don't have time to read 585 posts,so here is my take on the Big One..

It will not be a 100 point grading system..that would be the biggest mess ever trying to regrade 40 million coins that have been graded by pcgs and ngc.
    I have been thru many grading changes in my 40 years in the hobby,and we don't need another change.

It will not be a new holder,as the one they have is just fine.

I have 2 major problems with the coin business as we know it today.

Coin doctors,toners,whatever you want to call guys messing with our coins just trying to make a buck.
    Using anything from toaster overs to special chemicals to make coins sell for more money.
    These guys are so good,that sometimes it takes the pcgs years to find out they graded messed with coins.
    Then they have to buy these coins back,and it costs them millions of dollars per year to pay for these problem coins that really aren't their problem.
    Some of these doctors even brag about how good they are.
    I am tired of listening to the ones I know tell me how they just made big bucks fooling the graders.
    These guys need to be banned from all shows and being pcgs dealers.
    If I were king,I would put them in jail,but I am not..

The second thing not as big would, be banning guys who bounce checks to other dealers from being pcgs dealers,or PNG members.
    There should be a list of names of dealers in the business who are deadbeats.
    Every day I hear another name of guys I shouldn't take checks from.

I could go on,but this business needs to be cleaned up,and PCGS has the power to do it.

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    With 586 posts, someone should have come quite close to the Big One. But the silence from HRH is deafening. I really would like to hear from him (or I guess I can just wait until the 25th of March).

Cheers!

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With 586 posts, someone should have come quite close to the Big One. But the silence from HRH is deafening. I really would like to hear from him (or I guess I can just wait until the 25th of March).

Cheers!

image >>

Come and follow me to my island lady until March 25th....she has a friend, two palm trees down.......

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is buying ACG and moving to Florida?
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real question is: How many posts will this thread have by March 25?

It's not often that one coin (an original, non-AT Morgan--in this case) will suffice for three concurrent threads. imageimageimage[/IMG]
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The real question is: How many posts will this thread have by March 25?

It's not often that one coin (an original, non-AT Morgan--in this case) will suffice for three concurrent threads. imageimageimage[/IMG] >>

This makes 4 threads....maybe you should just put it in your sig line...
  • Options

<< <i>This makes 4 threads....maybe you should just put it in your sig line... >>

I think this thread will eventually poofed, so posting the coin here will not count. image For now, consider it a bonus. image

Of course, if you prefer, I could post a different coin:

imageimage
  • Options
    The fact that HRH is no longer responding to this post speaks volumes ...........
  • Options

<< <i>The fact that HRH is no longer responding to this post speaks volumes ........... >>

I agree. It tells me he does not waste time getting into clustermucks. Smart guy, if you ask me. image
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    PCGS graders will challenge NGC graders to an Ultimate cage fight tag team match to settle this Franklin FBL grading standards thing once and for all...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact that HRH is no longer responding to this post speaks volumes ........... >>

I agree. It tells me he does not waste time getting into clustermucks. >>

Nah, he just wastes time starting clustermucks image Still over a month to go... seems like this thread was started way too early, the excitement has died down and this is just a silly thread now.
  • Options
    there was some seriousness to the insurance thing.

although it's obviously not a game changer.

but it might be a nice convenience for the customers in a one-stop shop sort of way. However, it is outside of their core business. I'd guess they'd have to purchase a shipping insurance co. to provide that and partner with a real insurance co. to provide the collection insurance.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is why they don't consult with an analytical chemist who is expert in non destructive analysis such reflectance and possibly a modified version of atomic emision spectroscopy etc.
  • Options
    In David Hall's Coin Market Report posted yesterday on YouTube, he calls the announcement a new "initiative"

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    600!!

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With 586 posts, someone should have come quite close to the Big One. But the silence from HRH is deafening. I really would like to hear from him (or I guess I can just wait until the 25th of March).

Cheers!

>>

i wouldn't be surprised to see a flurry of activity around March 24th. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    someone finally is going to bump off greysheet & put out a "real world" dealer price sheet
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file