Home U.S. Coin Forum

More from HRH on "The Big One is Coming March 25"

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field", this opening statement and your pcgs handle "homerunhall" leads me to think that pcgs will be grading sports memorabilia or forming a baseball team----------BigE >>

look in the upper right hand part of the page. PSA/DNA
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Coin collection software for the PC.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Man going to start TWEETING ?

HE>I

• First thing came to my mind was Pcgs finally manage to computerized grading, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

So what about:
    Creating a vacuum in the holder, so it will protect the coin a bit better?
    And I truly don’t understand how come they didn’t do it before…
    Think of the potential income of reslabing all of them coins again image

Those Mints are money makers!
    Palestine mandate coins
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Floating guaranteed values accompany grade.

Any tampering with the slab causes a noticeable phyical change.

BB will almost cease as all coins will be slabbed with appropriate details/information

Coins that will not cross will not be broken out of the original slab.

PCGS will devote time/energy/money to World Coins and develop a knowledge
    base in partnership with Krause and other experts to allow PCGS to be a major
    force in world coin slabbing. They will also have a newspaper/newsletter/publication/website
    on world coin news.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will handle the ANA shows
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
    PCGS will put a smart chip in the holder that when scanned will be a true way of stopping counterfiet slabs.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field", this opening statement and your pcgs handle "homerunhall" leads me to think that pcgs will be grading sports memorabilia or forming a baseball team----------BigE >>

look in the upper right hand part of the page. PSA/DNA >>

See, I told ya!!-------------BigE image
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 days and getting up to that 1000th post.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will handle the ANA shows >>

It can't be this.
    It has to be something that doesn't involve a second party otherwise it couldn't be kept under wraps like it has been.
    Just my guess.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

that's what non-disclosure agreements are for...

I'm running low on ideas....

PCGS enters its own brand of conflict of interest when it contracts for coin trading cards and trading games. Rarity will be based upon actual coin production, survival and grading figures.

PCGS will have product placements with the Mario Bros. and Pokemon franchises. Trading cards will be authenticated and graded.

Additionally, to suck... lure... educationally enhance YNs interest about PCGS' money machine... brand... exciting history... colored foil wrapped chocolate coins whill be placed inside almost authentic slabs ready to be cracked. (no resubmissions please. we guarantee they won't grade higher)

and all grading will be outsourced to china....

The Big One is Coming.... code for "We're going to be a major US Mint bullion distributor and the National Pucks will be available through us (among other bullion). We'll be wildly competitive since you can buy graded ones and save on those pesky shipping charges."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    pcgs and ngc are merging--------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    A PCGS member will be named the next Mint Director!

PCGS creates a Social Networking site called Coin Album much like Face Book.
    Users will be required to provide personal or business info to register and can thus be banned from the site.
    Dealers can register separately as businesses and personally.
    Virtual Store Fronts can be set up by individuals.
    Direct communication between users will be possible through the site.
    The forums will move under this site.
    Guess the Grade, Guess the Coin, Coin Uno, 6 Degrees of Longacre and other games created by whoever can be created and played on the site.
    and so forth and so on.
    All users must be round.
  • My guess is that it's going to be an entirely new holder.
    Since the serial # will increase to 22 digits from 16, the holder will be larger.
    They will also contain some kind of anti-counterfeiting measure ,perhaps a photo of the coin, and possibly a mini-history of the coin.
    Thus the "BIG ONE" is going to be a new larger slab.

James Collier
    PCGS Dealer #471
    http://www.NobleHouseLoveland.com
    Noble House
    I wonder if anyone has gotten it right yet???? image

• Would be cool if we were told it had been said yet still keeping it a secret until 3/25. image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since DLRC has it's own TPG with DGS wouldn't it be cool if PCGS set up their own auction house to compete with Ebay, DLRC and HA? image

image No more eBAY image
    GrandAm :)
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure HRH is sitting back, laughing his "can" off. Some of this stuff is entertaining!
    "The New Way" presented at an ANA show.....

a comparison was made to when slabbing was introduced...

and this one is coming from left field...

Instead of paying for simple grading notes.... grader's video notes will be available. The graders can be seen laughing at the submissions as they hack them point by point. The upside for the customers will be knowing their coins didn't discolor in the holder due to some "comic mishandling."

Users will have the option to display the pop report and price guide search results on a single page for quick reference.

Claim Certificates for certified Sac. dollars with a shiny new 2010 Shield Cent will be sold inside cereal boxes!

Coin Doctors will be required to have degrees, residency, licenses and malpractice insurance.

Graders' kids will be allowed to certify coins!

• PCGS just obtained the Denver mint
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • PCGS will have a new app for Apple's iPad.
  • PCGS will make the US Mints dies.

• Mr. Hall will be inducted into the Numismatic Hall of Fame! image

Then later join forces with Microsoft and begin lazer engraving technologies on the new holders for tracking, authenticity & pricing.
  • Last shot ...

David Hall will be appointed the next US Mint Director ... taking over after Ed Moy steps down!

Please more errors .. gold and silver fractionals too!
  • The "buzz" is about computer grading, but nobody has offered an explaination of how it will work. Here goes:

PCGS has purchased LIDAR (LIght Detection And Ranging) technology to scan every coin submitted to create a digital terrain model (DTM) of the coin. These 3D models will then be compared to the models of "standard coins" already scanned to determine the grade of the coin. This technology will allow the graders to measure every aspect of the coins surface; it will be like taking a million micrometer measurements of the coin surface. This will eliminate the "human subjectiveness" from the grading equation.

This will also stop the crack out game because the scans will not change unless the coin surface changes which will cause a downgrade to occur.

Coupled with a new holder of any kind to create new population reports.

Every coin previously slabbed will need to be resubmitted to get this designation which will increase revenues to PCGS which is good for shareholders.

I am glad I am a land surveyor because I understand this technology; we have been using it for years.image
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS will start to "CAC bean" their own labels for free with each submisson after March 25?image
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS:

Will grade anything…Tokens, medals, which directly impacts ANACS (This makes them money)
    Will offer a discount to slab NGC coins (This makes them money)
    Allows for us to pedigree our names on the holder (this makes them money more than once because after you buy someone else’s slab, for a fee, you can get your name on it.)
    A system to determine coin resubmissions will be put into place to make the pop report more accurate thus assuring rarity, etc and raising values (makes them money, cost us more money)

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    In an effort to hold down costs, PCGS will be outsourcing grading services to India.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever PCGS does.It will be cost efficient ,and be profitable.

To combat counterfeits, the reverse sides of labels will bear the grader's signature in invisible DNA-laced ink -- naked to the eye but verifiable through a specially calibrated infrared laser. Naturally, certain grader's signature's will carry a premium and start an all new "buy the coin not the holder" war. Unfortunately, PSA/DNA will charge for signature verification.

PCGS will become the official grading service of the tooth fairy. Children will no longer ask "how much," but "what grade" instead. Customer servce will be overwheled by helicopter parents demanding to know "why this isn't a 70."

• 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I hope I won't be disappointed.
    I just renewed for another year.

Now to find some coins.

Joe
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What ever PCGS does.It will be cost efficient ,and be profitable. >>

Yup. You can be $ure that it'll help the bottom line.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcgs will introduce the 2 by 2 slab for coins smaller than a half dollar.
    also a vucuum formed album to hold these coins
    and a new superslab to go around any coin that has been "cac-ied"
    this is to veryify that caci did a good job.
    good grief
    what else is left
    havent we been milked enough?
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    You know, I am not afraid to admit I am fat. Maybe PCGS is going to hire ME, or at least give me lots of money. It would be nice, wouldn't it? image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will offer free coin grading as long on you sell the coin on their collector website. Once the coin sells you pay grading and sales fees and PCGS issues the balance back to you.
  • PCGS will be opening shop. They will be running several B&M shops across America, offering on site grading and slabbing, as well as dealing in strictly PCGS slabbed coins. They will accept coins graded by others, or raw, but they will be reslabbed by PCGS.
    There will be chips built in for authentication, and they will start using the FULL 70 point grading system.
    www.canadiancoppercoins.com

@Largecents on twitter
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    If I actually had to guess, I would think that PCGS is going to completely overhaul how they slab the coins, expect to see a completely new, much more secure slab, perhaps even with an RFID chip in it. If I had to think of one thing that could affect the market acceptability of PCGS slabs it's counterfeiting and/or people messing with coins that are already in slabs.

So that's my thoughts...
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

• << <i>In an effort to hold down costs, PCGS will be outsourcing grading services to India. >>

via phone??image
  • PCGS will sell franchise licenses so people can open store fronts that do all of the services there. There will be hundered or thousands of PCGS shops in strip malls like HR BLOCK and super cuts?
  • All US mint and proof sets will be sold in PCGS multi coin holders. So order a proof set from the mint and it will come in PCGS multi-coin holders. Then the mint can have 3 options 1) PR-68 2010 proof set $69 2) PR-69 2010 proof set $99 3) PR-70 2010 proof set $199
    How about something like a coin collectors stock exchange, where you could have long and short positions of the entire coin market or of a certain series of coins without having physical posession. For instance you could invest in whether the CU 3000 goes up, or down, just like the commodity markets------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere in the 700 + posts:

PCGS: Official grading company of the ANA
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    Have your coin club meeting at a show and you can get a Genuine PCGS grader to show and tell at a discount!

• << <i>PCGS will sell franchise licenses so people can open store fronts that do all of the services there. There will be hundered or thousands of PCGS shops in strip malls like HR BLOCK and super cuts? >>

OOps, someone beat you to the punch!
    www.canadiancoppercoins.com

@Largecents on twitter
  • 18 days to go.

• << <i>PCGS will put a smart chip in the holder that when scanned will be a true way of stopping counterfiet slabs. >>

This is a great idea
  • How about a coin market ETF fund that trades on the NYSE?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file