Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    July 19, 2014
    Well, a real fun purchase just arrived today. Received the following four Topps 52 HI #s in the mail. This doubles the total amount of Hi #s I have in my autographed set. I now stand at 176 unique autographed cards in this set. I know I will never complete it, but this will be a fun life long journey obtaining as many as I can.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wow Doug, what a coup for you! Congrats! Love the Al dark, as his 63 topps was one of the first vintage cards I bought when I got back into the hobby ten years ago.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks Dan & Matt.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug,

Congrats on some sweet cards. At least my PP balance is going to a good causeimage
    Steve
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

I love your signed 52 Topps. Hitting the 176 mark is very impressive, considering that the living players from the set are dwindling on a monthly basis.

I'm collecting vintage signed Topps/Bowman cards for my son and 15 signed 52's so far. It's one of my favorite projects.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Steve ... at least you know where some of it went! image

Greg ... it is fun. Like I have said before, this will be a life long project.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I have one Hi # out for signature... hope it makes it back soon.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Matt's TTM thread may encourage me to start sending out some more cards for signature!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Matt's TTM thread may encourage me to start sending out some more cards for signature! >>

Good to hear!

• Options
    Well what are you waiting for Doug?? Get to it image
  • Options
    Matt ... I'm thinking about it. I remember that one year when I sent out almost 1,000 TTMs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Matt ... I'm thinking about it. I remember that one year when I sent out almost 1,000 TTMs. >>

Just send out a handful at a time. That way, it doesn't get too overwhelming.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug.. Awesome pickups!!!! I really enjoy this thread.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Thanks Bobby ... hoping to get that one Hi# back soon TTM. Fingers crossed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    You are right Matt ... 5-10 a week is probably a good idea.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Don't know how I missed this. Awesome job on the latest pickups. The journey is the best part!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Very cool cards.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike and Finest.

Mike, the journey IS the best part ... you are right!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    There are MANY autographed cards from the Topps '52 set that I will never be able to afford. SOOOOO, I decided that if I could pick up a Reprint at a low price, I would do that.

Here is an Eddie Mathews I picked up cheap on eBay:

Next up is an autographed Jim Palmer Rookie I bought from Mike (Vitoco) at a VERY reasonable price. Thanks Mike!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nice pickups Doug. What is the price difference between the reprint Mathews and an original?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickups Doug. What is the price difference between the reprint Mathews and an original? >>

Thanks Matt.
    In low grade condition I would say an original autographed Mathews would run you $2,000.00+.
    I paid $11.50 including shipping.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Doug

Very nice pickups!

Very enjoyable thread to follow over the years.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thank you Mike. I have had a lot of fun posting to it as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I think an original signed matthews is probably a good bit more than 2k. If you see one for that let me know image
  • Options

<< <i>I think an original signed Mathews is probably a good bit more than 2k. If you see one for that let me know image >>

Alex ... my original guess was more than that. However, I was speaking with a fellow board member last week who is negotiating for a lot of signed 52s which includes a Mathews. He told me that his friend picked up a Mathews (I don't know how long ago, but I assumed it was not that long ago) for around $2K. Who knows, maybe it was a while ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I saw one for sale on ebay several years ago and I think it sold for 10k, though I think it was in pretty good shape. I haven't ever seen another for sale. I think it's the rarest of the postwar baseball signed HOF rookies.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice pickups Doug. What is the price difference between the reprint Mathews and an original? >>

Thanks Matt.
    In low grade condition I would say an original autographed Mathews would run you $2,000.00+.
    I paid $11.50 including shipping. >>

image Good choice
  • Options

<< <i>I saw one for sale on ebay several years ago and I think it sold for 10k, though I think it was in pretty good shape. I haven't ever seen another for sale. I think it's the rarest of the postwar baseball signed HOF rookies. >>

Makes sense Alex. Remember, it's the last card in the set, so it would be a valuable card even if it was a common. A quick search on eBay shows sales of non-autographed PSA slabbed ones going from as low as $650.00 for a "Authentic" to as high as $6,500.00 for a PSA "6".
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug, nice solution getting the reprinted versions. Now you have a new avenue to continue your pursuit. Congrats on the Palmer RC as well. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike ... it was nice to pick up a Palmer Rookie.

I was not going to buy any of the autographed reprints, but I decided if I can get them at a good price (for the ones I would never be able to afford) it would be nice to fill in the gaps.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wondering if there were many autographed 52s at the National?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Anybody see any?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Anybody see any? >>

I didn't see any Doug.
  • Options

<< <i>

I didn't see any Doug. >>

You weren't there Matt, right? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't see any Doug. >>

You weren't there Matt, right? LOL >>

No image

Wow you know me Doug haha
  • Options
    And I didn't see any Emmitt Smith cards there either! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Picked this one up on ebay for TWENTY BUCKS delivered. Auto looks nice in hand. This is a pen signature and does not show as nicely on eBay as a marker would. Maybe that's why I got it for $20.00.

This gives me about 20 different Seaver signed cards.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wow Doug, I don't have more than 3 autographs of any one athlete. I'm very impressed and I know how much you like Seaver. Congrats! One of my favorite threads on this site, not only for the great autographs, but also the excitement you show in sharing your collection.

You and Matt, and Casey, have inspired me to dabble in TTM. I'll never do too much of it because of my fear of not getting cards returned, but I had a successful exchange with Steve Garvey and right now I have 2 out to Gino Cappelletti.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Thanks Dan.

2-3 years ago when I was sending out a LOT of TTMs I kept track of all of them. I'd say that out of about 1,100 that I sent out I did not get back about 300. However, none were very expensive.

In the last year I've only sent out about 10-20. At the end of June I sent out a fairly expensive card ... a 1952 Topps HI # ... and have not gotten it back yet. It's about 45 days and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get it back soon. However, I'm starting to think it's gone.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Nice pickup Doug! Seaver in Reds uni is like Emmitt in Cardinal one image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickup Doug! Seaver in Reds uni is like Emmitt in Cardinal one image >>

I know Matt ... MUCH rather have him in a METS uniform. THANKS M. Donald Grant.

BTW ... forgot that he pitched for the Red Sox in 1986 but was on the DL and did not play in the World Series. Now THAT would have hurt to see him pitch AGAINST the METS in the WS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Love the thread!
  • Options
    Thanks Dave. As long as people enjoy looking at the thread I will continue to share. I enjoy posting as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pickup Doug! Seaver in Reds uni is like Emmitt in Cardinal one image >>

When I think of Seaver, I think of him as a Reds. Im sure because thats who I remember him with and watching while I was growing up.

Nice pickup on the 78, Doug. Thankfully, I already have my 78 Seaver. He hasnt signed in a couple of years due to his Lyme's Disease. Now is the time to get Seaver autos when you can pick them up at a good price. You did great on that one. I think I have 5-6 Seaver autos in my own collection.
  • Options
    WOW! TWO SEAVER autos in one week. Another card that I did not have. This is one of the weaker autos, but it also has Randy Jones on it. It's amazing how cheap you can sometimes get these cards ... $14.00 DELIVERED!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I love me some Seaver. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    That's incredible, Doug. 14 bucks for that barely covers the authentication. Congrats!
  • Options
    Great card Doug. Will you crack and get Andy Messersmith's auto? Would be cool if you did.
  • Options

<< <i>Great card Doug. Will you crack and get Andy Messersmith's auto? Would be cool if you did. >>

MATT ... I don't believe Andy signs much and his autos go for decent bucks! A year or so ago I won almost a complete set of autographed 1975 SSPC cards for about $100.00 from a small AH. I only wanted a few of them, so I started researching what the others were selling for. I came across a Messersmith and was shocked to see that his auto'd cards were selling for around $100.00. Put it up on eBay and it sold right away. Got my money back on that one card!

SOOOOO, to answer your question ... that will probably never happen.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug