Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks guys ... real happy with the card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an outstanding thread. Virtually impossible to read the first post and not dig deeper.

Keep popping this bad boy!
  • Options
    Thanks very much! I enjoy collecting these autographed cards and I'm happy that others enjoy them as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to start sending out TTMs once again. I just have to come up with a plan, instead of just sending out random older cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Hey guys ... just received this in the mail today. It was a RTS. Check out the date I mailed it ... March 23, 2009. This was probably one of the first TTMs I sent out when I started this thread 5 years ago. It took the Post Office FIVE YEARS to return it to me!!!! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Great thread Doug. Love reading about the new stuff you get

• Options
    Thanks Mike. When I got the letter back I didn't remember sending it out ... then I saw that I sent it out 5+ years ago!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>April 21, 2014
    Very happy to be able to add a 3rd HI # to my set. The autograph and front of the card present very well. Looks like the card was once glued into some kid's scrapbook ... a kid who is probably now in his 70's!

image >>

Love those oldies buddy.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Doug

If I am not mistaking I think Tony ended his career in the Tiger Farm System and later became a Trainer for the Pirates.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Doug ... If I am not mistaking I think Tony ended his career in the Tiger Farm System and later became a Trainer for the Pirates. >>

Just looked up his stats. Played only ONE year in the Majors ... 1952. He played in about 120 games. He was only 19-20 yrs old.

Anthony Joseph "Tony" Bartirome (May 9, 1932 – ) was an American baseball player. He played first base for the Pittsburgh Pirates during the 1952 baseball season. Prior to his season with the Pirates, he was the star first baseman for a sandlot baseball team in Oakmont, Pennsylvania. He also went on to serve as a coach for the Atlanta Braves in 1986 and 1987. He was the team trainer for the Pittsburgh Pirates for several years as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That's pretty cool to get a TTM back 5 years later.
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty cool to get a TTM back 5 years later. >>

The only problem with that Dawg is that it was a RTS and therefore never opened by Mr. Cabell. It was "refused" by the Astros and returned to me. One would think that the Post Office would have returned it to me back in 2009! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you used a "Forever" stamp on that envelope so long ago!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Doug, was your return address on the envelope??

The post office uses the term "Nixie" to refer to
    dead mail, a piece that can neither be delivered
    or returned.

A common Nixie would be a letter with a bum
    address and no return address. The post office
    will take it out of the mail stream and try to
    ascertain where it should go. There are people
    in the post office who do this full time.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

<< <i>Doug, was your return address on the envelope? >>

Yes it was. I just cropped it off when I posted it on the thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Now I'm starting to get the itch to once again send out some TTMs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I'm starting to get the itch to once again send out some TTMs. >>

Me too Doug! must be the time of the year or something in the air haha
  • Options
    Matt ... it's really been about 2 years since I sent them out. When I began about 4-5 years ago I think I sent out almost 1,000 my first two years ... and probably only 50 in the next 2-3!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just don't want to have to search too long for the thread when I get another card to post.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Still looking for more 52s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Still looking for more 52s. >>

Does Randy still have his? Maybe he's interested in selling some?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Still looking for more 52s. >>

Does Randy still have his? Maybe he's interested in selling some? >>

Randy sold all of his a few years ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just bumping to keep it from getting buried so next time I have an addition it's easier to find.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    TalmerTalmer Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Sounds like you need to hurry up and buy some new cards Doug!
  • Options
    Just bumping to keep it from getting buried so next time Doug has an addition it's easier to find.

• Options
    Thanks Matt! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like you need to hurry up and buy some new cards Doug! >>

Thanks to you Talmer I just got that new one. It's going out in tomorrow's mail for a TTM.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like you need to hurry up and buy some new cards Doug! >>

I think you are right Talmer!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    June 6, 2014

Very happy to have obtained my 4th signed Hi Number. I mailed this card to Mr. Gernert in PA and it was back on Long Island in six days. Thanks so much to Mr. Gernert for signing the card so quickly.

Also a huge thanks to Talmer for giving me a heads up that the card was available for sale. This card has almost no wear on it. Yes, you can tell it was taped in a scrapbook. Was probably done in '52 and stayed there until recently. The card is very sturdy and shows very little wear.

I also included a copy of the letter that I sent to Mr. Gernert. He was nice enough to answer a couple of questions.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wow Doug! 6 days is crazy! I wish everyone was as efficient as him.

I love how you included your "stay healthy" tag hahaha!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Great return. I like that his signature has gotten a little less formal since '52.
  • Options

<< <i>I love how you included your "stay healthy" tag hahaha! >>

Matt, that STAY HEALTHY is now part of my signature on EVERYTHING, including my business letters. Means a lot more than "Very truly yours" to me!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Slowly but surely you're making great headway on this set!!

Btw, I'm partial to "Take care". image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Slowly but surely you're making great headway on this set!!

Btw, I'm partial to "Take care". image >>

Yeah. Take care is my fav as well.

Take care

Matt

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy following your thread, Doug. Congrats on your latest pick up.
  • Options
    Thanks guys ... the 52's are getting harder and harder to find at decent prices ... but it's fun looking ... I now stand at 172 different autographed cards from the set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Thanks guys ... the 52's are getting harder and harder to find at decent prices ... but it's fun looking ... I now stand at 172 different autographed cards from the set. >>

I know this is blasphemy but how many are in the set?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks guys ... the 52's are getting harder and harder to find at decent prices ... but it's fun looking ... I now stand at 172 different autographed cards from the set. >>

I know this is blasphemy but how many are in the set? >>

LOL. Matt, there are 407 in the set. However, there are 310 EXCLUDING the HI #s. The HI#s are SO expensive and most are out of my budget. Luckily I have been able to obtain 4 autographed Hi#s so far.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know this is blasphemy but how many are in the set? >>

LOL. Matt, there are 407 in the set. However, there are 310 EXCLUDING the HI #s. The HI#s are SO expensive and most are out of my budget. Luckily I have been able to obtain 4 autographed Hi#s so far. >>

Will you try to obtain autos on another card set or cut sigs to take the place of the players out of your budget or just say screw it?
  • Options
    SCREW IT
    Lol
    Although I do have the Rizzuto on a reprint. I obtained it in a large lot I purchased prior to even collecting the.set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>SCREW IT
    Lol
    Although I do have the Rizzuto on a reprint. I obtained it in a large lot I purchased prior to even collecting the.set. >>

LOL!
    I didn't even think about the reprints Doug. That's a great idea rather than nothing at all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>SCREW IT...Lol...Although I do have the Rizzuto on a reprint. I obtained it in a large lot I purchased prior to even collecting the.set. >>

I didn't even think about the reprints Doug. That's a great idea rather than nothing at all. >>

Not so sure if I would buy the reprints with the auto. But since I had the Rizzuto I figured that I would hold on to it. I don't count any reprints in my total.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just sent out another '52 Hi # for signature. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Just sent out another '52 Hi # for signature. Keeping my fingers crossed. >>

I love this thread. Can I ask who the latest high number is??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just sent out another '52 Hi # for signature. Keeping my fingers crossed. >>

I love this thread. Can I ask who the latest high number is?? >>

Dan, glad you enjoy the thread. The card is of soon to be 88 yr old GEORGE SPENCER, currently living in Ohio, who pitched for the NY Giants in the '51 World Series. He went 10-4 that year and led the team in saves.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>June 6, 2014

Very happy to have obtained my 4th signed Hi Number. I mailed this card to Mr. Gernert in PA and it was back on Long Island in six days. Thanks so much to Mr. Gernert for signing the card so quickly.

Also a huge thanks to Talmer for giving me a heads up that the card was available for sale. This card has almost no wear on it. Yes, you can tell it was taped in a scrapbook. Was probably done in '52 and stayed there until recently. The card is very sturdy and shows very little wear.

I also included a copy of the letter that I sent to Mr. Gernert. He was nice enough to answer a couple of questions.

image >>

Doug - this is really cool! Enjoying the thread! Love the letters with the responses too....makes it more personal.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug.... I really enjoy this thread still waiting on your Dick Groat signed RC. image I totally agree, I enjoy the letter it makes it more personal.

Edit: My lack of grammar
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
  • Options
    Brian - Thanks. I try to always post any correspondence that I get back from the players. I think it adds a lot.

Bobby - I know you want to see the Groat. Unfortunately he is one of the more expensive "common" Hi #'s and I probably will never get the card at a "decent" price. It's too bad, because he is one of about a dozen guys from the HI #'d series that is still living.

Matt - Thanks. Hoping to get the card back signed within two weeks.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Post #SIXTEEN THOUSAND!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug