Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great card Doug. Will you crack and get Andy Messersmith's auto? Would be cool if you did. >>

MATT ... I don't believe Andy signs much and his autos go for decent bucks! A year or so ago I won almost a complete set of autographed 1975 SSPC cards for about $100.00 from a small AH. I only wanted a few of them, so I started researching what the others were selling for. I came across a Messersmith and was shocked to see that his auto'd cards were selling for around $100.00. Put it up on eBay and it sold right away. Got my money back on that one card!

SOOOOO, to answer your question ... that will probably never happen. >>

Tim told me you were Daddy Warbucks. Don't disappoint me image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Tim told me you were Daddy Warbucks. Don't disappoint me image >>

If Tim only knew. Unfortunately for me he couldn't be any further from the truth.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, people have been trying to get Messersmith to sign for years. I think its just because he hates signing.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, people have been trying to get Messersmith to sign for years. I think its just because he hates signing. >>

Well he does have a pretty long last name lol
  • Options
    In search of more autographed Seavers and autographed '52 Topps.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Most of the Old Timers are great with signing TTMs and sending them back right away. As each week passes my hopes of getting back the one '52 Hi # I have out there are less and less. Maybe it will still come back signed! (I understand that often these guys are not feeling well enough to sign.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Still looking for more autographed '52 Topps & Seaver cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Picked up another signed '52 Topps that I did not have. As a bonus I also received a copy of the letter that the TTM'er sent out in 2003 to obtain the auto.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Awesome stuff!
  • Options
    Thanks Dan. I thought it was cool to have that letter along with the card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Picked up another autographed Seaver and Reggie. Hope to have them within a few days. Will scan and post when they come in.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is the Seaver that I picked up. This is the 22nd different PSA/DNA Seaver card that I own. If I can keep picking these up for $25.00 or less I will keep doing so!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Wow, congrats Doug! The most autographs I have of any one player is 4.
  • Options
    Thanks Dan. THE MICK was my favorite player by far, but I can't afford to buy all his cards autographed. SOOOOO, I also collect SEAVER, who was my favorite pitcher growing up, and REGGIE, who I started collecting way after he retired.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Doug. Pretty soon you will have more Seaver's than I have Ali's. image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Seaver pickup.
  • Options
    Seattle - Thank you.

Shawn - if I purchased one every day for the next year ... I'd STILL be short! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I saw some some people discussing HISTORIC AUTOGRAPHS on another site so decided to check them out on eBay. I liked them and was able to pick up this Reggie for $25.00. (Not sure why the scan came out a bit blurry.)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Still keeping my fingers crossed for that '52 Hi #'d George Spencer to find it's way back to me ... hopefully with Mr. Spencer's autograph on it. It's been about 2.5 months so far. I have had many TTMs take longer, so I'm still staying positive.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I just picked up another one of those 2014 Reggie Jackson PSA/DNA cards (see two entries above) VERY cheap! Should have it by the weekend and will post when it arrives.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is the 2nd "Historic Autographs" of REGGIE that I picked up. How could I pass it up for $16.00?
    The seller was nice enough to send me the package that it came in as well. Not sure how much these boxes cost new.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Have my eye on another one of these Regggies.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug, I believe Mr. Spencer passed away this summer.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, I believe Mr. Spencer passed away this summer. >>

Wow, I didn't even see that. Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like he passed away on September 10, 2014. I sent him his '52 Topps card for a TTM at the end of June, but I guess he was too sick to open the letter/sign. I know he was a great TTM signer when he was healthy. RIP Mr. Spencer.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Still looking for more signed Topps 52s, Seavers and Reggies. Maybe I should start looking to complete my signed '82 Donruss set again. I think it's about 2/3s finished.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Still looking to buy more.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is the third one of the Historic Reggie Autos that I have picked up. Nice auto ... graded a "10".

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the third one of the Historic Reggie Autos that I have picked up. Nice auto ... graded a "10".

image >>

How fitting is it that you pick it up in October no less!

Congrats!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IMF .... hoping I can pick up a couple more of Mr. October this month!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    It was nice to pick up another '52 Topps. Last one I was able to get was a little over one month ago. This Roy McMillan card presents pretty well. The autograph is a bit light, but not too bad. This brings my total to 178 different autographed 1952 Topps Cards.

imageimage
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good, keep it rollin Doug. The other Doug
  • Options
    Thanks Doug. It's still exciting when I get another '52 to add to the set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Doug ... how is your '52 set coming along?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Doug!!
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Those 52's look nice. That is quite a set to go after. Awesome thread.
  • Options
    Your signed 52 Topps set is one of the most ambitious and awesome projects I've ever seen on these boards. Keep 'Em coming!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. This will be a life-long project. I will never be able to afford most of the HI #s and the stars, such as Mantle and Mays, but it has been and will continue to be a fun project.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Thanks guys. This will be a life-long project. I will never be able to afford most of the HI #s and the stars, such as Mantle and Mays, but it has been and will continue to be a fun project. >>

Some great projects don't ever have to be "completed." Nobody has ever reached 100% on the Yaz Master Set and I certainly won't.
  • Options
    You are right Dan ... the journey is the best part!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Just bumping so not to lose the thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Received a card and a note in the mail today. Note said in part "This card was sitting next to me as I was looking over the '52 autographed cards on your thread. I know he's one of your favorites". Out of the blue Brandon554 very generously sent me the below card. I think the two of us had spoken only once or twice before. THANKS BRANDON!!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice gesture and a nice card. Congrats
  • Options
    Thanks Ben.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Great Job my Friend.That is sure a project that most would not even attempt.Continued success on your journey.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Received a card and a note in the mail today. Note said in part "This card was sitting next to me as I was looking over the '52 autographed cards on your thread. I know he's one of your favorites". Out of the blue Brandon554 very generously sent me the below card. I think the two of us had spoken only once or twice before. THANKS BRANDON!!!! >>

I've said it before and am sure I'll say it again, but the generosity of members here is amazing! Congrats and looks like it found the perfect home!
  • Options
    As some of you who have been following my thread know, back in the beginning of July I sent out a Topps 1952 Hi #'d card to Mr. George Spencer, along with a letter, asking him to please sign my card. I also enclosed $10.00. Last month I posted that I was still hoping to get back the signed card. A day or so later I was informed that Mr. Spencer passed away. It was sad to hear that. Seems like every couple of months we hear about another old time player passing away. I knew the card was gone, but as a TTM'er I realize that many cards I send out will never come back to me.

Well, the other day I received a letter in the mail. It contained my letter to Mr. Spencer, my SASE, a $10.00 bill, the card that I sent to him and this lovely letter from MRS. Spencer. These old time players and their wives are pretty special people. This is not the first time I received such a letter.

imageimage

Thank you very much Mrs. Spencer. May your husband RIP.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Incredible. Makes you want to be a better person!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. She sounds like a special person.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    That is a nice letter. You should follow up with her and thank her for such a nice response. She sounds like a lovely person.
  • Options
    Glad I could share the letter with you guys.

Marc, that is exactly what I did. I mailed a card to Mrs. Spencer earlier today. I also remember sending a card to Mrs. George Savitsky (George was on the '55 Topps AA Football set) after her husband died. About 2.5 years ago (pictures are on this thread somewhere) I sent the "AA" card to Mr. Savitsky. A few weeks later I received a letter from his wife APOLOGIZING (can you believe that!) that her husband was too sick to sign, but when he got better she would have him sign the card and she would send it back to me. A short time later I received the signed card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug