Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Incredible. Makes you want to be a better person

exactly what I thought... I work in a business where I deal with the most ungrateful and unthankful people you could ever imagine.
    It broke my heart a little to think of someone so kind like Mrs. Spencer.

great story - way better then all of the crap going on in the world and on the board sometimes.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Oakman ... it really is nice when someone does something special for a stranger.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Marc ... I'll let you guys know if I hear any further from Mrs. Spencer.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    What a moving letter. Brought a tear to my eye.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would have been a real shame had I missed this, and I very nearly did. Can't imagine it ever getting any better than that handwritten letter, Doug. This is often said, but many thanks for sharing.

Interested in his story, I tracked down a funny anecdote that was told at his service last month. Apparently he had a replacement eye in his elder years, and he often made it a point to pop it out, place it in his beer and tell the person sitting next to him that he "keeps an eye on his beer."

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

THAT is funny as hell. If she responds to me again, I am going to write back to her and mention that!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Still looking for some more autographed '52s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Just keeping the thread from getting lost.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing gesture and response. The greatest generation deserved its title.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Very cool! Been thinking about collecting TTM autos. Seems like a fun way to connect with the players. I enjoy your thread. Thanks.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
    Tim - You are so right.

KC - It is a very fun and, most of the time, inexpensive way to stay in the game.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug,

That is one neat letter. That was a generation that had a lot of people with great integrity and character.

Shane

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool! Been thinking about collecting TTM autos. Seems like a fun way to connect with the players. I enjoy your thread. Thanks. >>

KC, I haven't done it myself in a while but I just found a box that had some old ones from maybe 10 years ago. I found a Mariano Rivera among them and sent it to PSA and just got it back slabbed this week. It's almost as fun going back through them as it was getting them to start with. I recommend it highly!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
    WOW! What a surprise when this came today. It took 2064 days for this one to get back to me. My longest TTM to date. I mailed it on March 20, 2009.

Thanks for the autos Mr. Babc*c..k. Funny thing is they came back in two separate SASE that I sent to him. The DR was mailed out on 03/20/09, but not sure about the other one (or why I even sent it out). I was putting together the '82 DR set back in the day, but have not done too much with it in recent times. I now have 447 cards signed out of the 653 in the '82 Donruss Set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! What a surprise when this came today. It took 2064 days for this one to get back to me. My longest TTM to date. I mailed it on March 20, 2009.

Thanks for the autos Mr. Babc*c..k. Funny thing is they came back in two separate SASE that I sent to him. The DR was mailed out on 03/20/09, but not sure about the other one (or why I even sent it out). I was putting together the '82 DR set back in the day, but have not done too much with it in recent times. I now have 447 cards signed out of the 653 in the '82 Donruss Set. >>

He probably just found his pen in the couch. Maybe your cards too? haha

Quite impressive on the 82 Donruss. 447 of 653 is amazing.

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Wow that took a long time.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Incredible, Doug. Maybe the envelop slipped behind a piece of furniture in his house, and was found when his wife told him to rearrange the room. Were there any dust bunnies on the card?
    John ... I don't know about dust bunnies, but one of the envelopes had quit an old (at least it looks old) water stain on it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Doug. That is an amazing lapse in time. Did you use a forever stamp? There had to have been multiple postage hikes from the time you sent that to now.
    Steve
    Steve - YUP ... the Forever Stamp is a TTMers friend! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Now this has given me hope to get back the other 200+ I have out there from years ago! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Although nothing today!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Just a bump so I don't lose the thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug, you know there's this thing called "search" that helps you avoid losing important threads! image

Great TTMs. I am not yet a year into TTMing, but consider anything > 6 months to be a long-shot to return. 2000+ days is incredible. Cool story and cool return.
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    doug. i'm not sure where to begin. I'm only through page 32 of this thread and am blown away by everything. From the thoughtfullness of the players and their wives to players adding cards and letters. you've done a tremendous job and this may inspire me to try something of my own. keep up the great work and I look forward to catching up to this page in the thread.
    Thanks guys ... 23, glad you are enjoying the thread.

Here is another Seaver that I just picked up. This makes about 25 unique Seavers that I now have in my PC.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    nice pickup, Doug! I bid but lost on a nice looking 81 fleer seaver this past week. I did pick up 3 Gary Carters I needed though! Its probably been 7-8 months I havent found a Gary Carter that I need, then in one week I find 3 LOL Still havent found the 3 80s Fleer I need though image

Barry ... wow! Three Carters that you needed in one week ... THAT'S GREAT. Enjoy the cards. PS How is your friend's family doing? Hope as well as possible.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Another TTM that I never thought I would get back ... 1,714 days later this arrives in the mail:

imageimage

Thanks Mr. Carroll!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another TTM that I never thought I would get back ... 1,714 days later this arrives in the mail:

Thanks Mr. Carroll! >>

So he finally responded just to pimp his new book? Stay classy Mr. Carroll.

Congrats on getting one back after so long!

• << <i>

<< <i>Another TTM that I never thought I would get back ... 1,714 days later this arrives in the mail:

Thanks Mr. Carroll! >>

So he finally responded just to pimp his new book? Stay classy Mr. Carroll. >>

That was my first thought as well, but at least proceeds from the book go to charity.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks Mr. Carroll! >>

So he finally responded just to pimp his new book? Stay classy Mr. Carroll. >>

That was my first thought as well, but at least proceeds from the book go to charity. >>

Those Purdue guys are pretty good people.
    I always like an older TTM coming back. I had one about two years old come back recently. It was a nice surprise.

<< <i>Those Purdue guys are pretty good people. >>

Other than those guys that live on Long Island, right Mike? hahaha
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

BTW ... I know what you guys are saying about promoting his book, but still nice to get a free auto from JBC.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

WOW! This card came back today after 1,754 days ... 40 days longer than Joe Barry Carroll! A couple of years ago I wound up buying the autographed card for my set, but it's still cool to get back a TTM after ALMOST FIVE YEARS!

Thanks for the auto Mr. Fletcher.

PS In the past month I received 3 TTMs that took over FOUR Years. Never had that happen before.

I believe I now have 448 cards autographed out of 653 from the '82 Donruss set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug, you are on a roll. What's the secret? Have you changed what you've been eating for breakfast? image
    Casey ... yeah, pretty crazy. Since I started sending out autos about 6 years ago, I think I have received only about 5-6 autos after 4 years ... and these 3 come all within 1 month of each other.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• << <i>Casey ... yeah, pretty crazy. Since I started sending out autos about 6 years ago, I think I have received only about 5-6 autos after 4 years ... and these 3 come all within 1 month of each other. >>

Doug, that is seriously crazy stuff! Congrats! I'm hungry for you to add a couple more signed 52's, as I'm sure you are too.
    Dan ... yeah, I'd love to start finding some more '52's. I don't really have much of a budget for them, but I did pick up a new one the other day. Hopefully I will have it in hand next week and will scan it when I do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Just received my 179th different autographed card for my '52 Topps set in the mail a little while ago. Very psyched to receive the Jim Hegan (died 1984) card, one you don't see for sale very often. I was able to pick this one up at a great price.

Based on the following, I guess he was a damn good catcher: Cleveland Indian Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller was quoted as saying,"He was one of the best defensive catchers in baseball history. Jim called a good game. We disagreed rarely. Jim was very good at keeping pitchers calm." Another Hall of Fame pitcher, Bob Lemon said of Hegan, "When I first started pitching, I used to shake him off sometimes. Invariably, they'd get a hit. So I stopped shaking him off."

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Awesome Doug!
    Thanks Dan. That was the one I was talking about. Seller shipped it ASAP.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Congrats, nice to see you add another 52.
    Thanks Ben. Always fun to find a new one. Now looking for my 180th!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a SPORT magazine from the 50's that had a great article and cool pictures about Jim Hegan written by his son Mike, who became a major league ball player. Really great article. Nice card Doug and congrats. The other Doug.
    Thanks Doug. Seems like Mr. Hegan called one hell of a game!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Many thanks to a member from another board who so generously sent me this card gratis. He told me it was personalized and that it was a light signature, but wanted me to have it, even if it was just a placeholder until I obtained a better one. This brings me up to 180 different cards in my autographed '52 set.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice addition Doug and great gesture sending it to you. Congrats!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice addition Doug and great gesture sending it to you. Congrats!! >>

Yes I agree. Very nice of the sender.