Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    This sets a personal record for a TTM.

On March 23, 2009 I sent the below card to Mr. Herndon, along with a letter asking for his autograph. Today, 6 days short of SEVEN YEARS after I sent my request, I received the following:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    This sets a personal record for a TTM.

On March 23, 2009 I sent the below card to Mr. Herndon, along with a letter asking for his autograph. Today, 6 days short of SEVEN YEARS after I sent my request, I received the following:

If I could speak freely, I'd comment on what kind of 'move' that is and where I think he could shove it.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Agree with LC. And assume the signed letter is a facsimile, otherwise I'd rather pay for a custom. Couldn't help but chuckle at the overwhelming demand for Larry Herndon's auto.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    That sig MIGHT be real ... very hard to tell. Either way, doesn't help me at all. Below is the reverse of the above letter ... with a signature copy.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

If I could speak freely, I'd comment on what kind of 'move' that is and where I think he could shove it.

I'm not going to knock the player in this instance. As for the time for the return, yes seven years is a long time, but it never hit hit the trash. Most former players who could care less about signing put your mail straight into garbage. I know some guys that sign, but only a handful at a time. Stuff piles up. They will sign a handful every other odd weekend, and when a rainy day in July rolls around, the grand kids are out of town, and the wife is complaining about the boxes of mail in dining room they get around to responding to it all. And yes, some of them are years old.

As for using an agency and charging for signatures, blame collectors. Many guys, even those who were 100% locks TTM, are either cutting back signing, quiting signing, or turning to companies like Past Pros because they are inundated by greedy collectors. One former baseball player, who has recently aligned with past pros, told me he almost quit completely because many collectors were sending 10-15 cards repeatedly. The breaking point was when he signed 15 cards for one guy, and the next month 30 showed up from the same address. He signed them and waited two weeks before checking eBay. Sure enough they were on there.
    Originally posted by: sbfinley
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

I'm not going to knock the player in this instance.

If he gave a crap about his fans, he would (1) have taken care of it, (2) responded 'No', or (3) even thrown it away years ago; this is the exact instance where I would knock the player, for saving it to use as marketing years later. He's a db who needs no support.

I understand the arguments, but they don't apply in this instance.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sbfinley

I'm not going to knock the player in this instance. As for the time for the return, yes seven years is a long time, but it never hit hit the trash. Most former players who could care less about signing put your mail straight into garbage. I know some guys that sign, but only a handful at a time. Stuff piles up. They will sign a handful every other odd weekend, and when a rainy day in July rolls around, the grand kids are out of town, and the wife is complaining about the boxes of mail in dining room they get around to responding to it all. And yes, some of them are years old.

As for using an agency and charging for signatures, blame collectors. Many guys, even those who were 100% locks TTM, are either cutting back signing, quiting signing, or turning to companies like Past Pros because they are inundated by greedy collectors. One former baseball player, who has recently aligned with past pros, told me he almost quit completely because many collectors were sending 10-15 cards repeatedly. The breaking point was when he signed 15 cards for one guy, and the next month 30 showed up from the same address. He signed them and waited two weeks before checking eBay. Sure enough they were on there.

I tend to agree with this~he could have thrown it in the garbage, but he didn't. The players see collectors selling their signatures on ebay and other venues and it's now a business instead of a hobby, from their perspective, at least. (I'm assuming Doug didn't send any money with the auto request.) 7 years is a long time, though, I do agree.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I personally don't mind paying for autographs, especially for the retired players who didn't play in the era of free agency, and might be living just like the rest of us. One of these days, I, or somebody who inherits my cards, will sell the autograph, so that "I never sell the autographs I get" argument doesn't apply to me.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I can think of better ways to spend that $15

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan
    I can think of better ways to spend that $15IMF

Yeah, I don't think too many are going to pay $15.00 for his auto.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I still have a lot more TTMs out there from 5-7 years ago. Wonder if any more will find their way back to Long Island.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I just received these two Seaver autos in the mail today. Thanks to CU Member Barry Jock for the great deal. This brings me to TWENTY-NINE different autographed Seaver cards. I also have a signed bat and a couple of First Day Covers.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Geez Doug, 29 autos of one HOFer?? Unbelievable!
    Thanks Dan. I've been able to pick them up slabbed for a decent price. I've been patient and will buy when I get them for a good price. Other than the 68 and 69, I've paid between $20 - $25 (slabbed) each. I think that's a great price. Outside of cards, the coolest Seaver auto I have is a First Day Cover with pics of The Mick (my childhood hero), Seaver and Steve Garvey and signed by each.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• That sounds like an amazing piece, and perfect for a collector who worships the Mick and loves Seaver too.
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    That sounds like an amazing piece, and perfect for a collector who worships the Mick and loves Seaver too.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece, Doug! Even though Seaver is a Red. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    love signed cachets

congrats!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Thanks Bill and Tim. Tim, you are right ... that would be AWESOME if Seaver was a Met.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

MIGHT have a couple more Seavers. Will find out later today.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

On August 10, 2009 I sent out quite a few '65 cards TTM for autographs. Today, 2,448 days later (or 6 years, 8 months and 12 days) I received these cards back with a note.

THANKS MR. HALL!

Edited to add: THAT'S why I used Forever stamps on the return envelope!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Those Halls look sweet!
  • BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    6 years. Mr. hall must have been busy. I wonder where he keeps his mail, for 6 years before he opens it?
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
    Thanks Dan.

Yeah, I know. I've gotten back a few cards this past year that were outstanding for 4+ years.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Here's another one that came back quite a while later.

On September 27 & 29, 2010 I sent out a total of 36 Cards from the 1986 Topps Football Set.

One came back RTS.

14 are still outstanding.

And the below card was the 21st that I got back signed, although this one took 2,064 days! THANKS STEVE.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Wondering if any of the other '86 FB will be coming back signed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Originally posted by: DboneesqAnd the below card was the 21st that I got back signed, although this one took 2,064 days! THANKS STEVE.

Curious what address you had for him. I had a buddy who was working with him a couple years back and had 1 day turnaround.
    Originally posted by: DboneesqAnd the below card was the 21st that I got back signed, although this one took 2,064 days! THANKS STEVE.

Curious what address you had for him. I had a buddy who was working with him a couple years back and had 1 day turnaround.

It was sent C/O Ryan Companies. I did not record the address.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I might start sending out TTMs once again. It used to be a lot of fun getting the returns.

When I started in March 2009 thru January 2010 I sent out 750 TTMs.

From January 2010 thru March 2013 I sent out only 250.

I've not sent out any in over 3 years.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

This brings me to 30 different Seaver autographed cards. Thanks Barry!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Great looking card! That's quite the seaver collection you're building! By comparison, I only have 4 Yaz autos.
    Thanks Dan. Whenever I see one I don't already have for a good price I will pick it up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This brings me to 30 different Seaver autographed cards.

Wow Doug!

30? I may have 1. And that's a maybe.

Which one is your favorite?
    Mike
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    This brings me to 30 different Seaver autographed cards.

Wow Doug! 30? I may have 1. And that's a maybe.

Which one is your favorite?

Mike, I'd probably have to go with this one. The auto is real nice and the card presents quite well for the grade. Plus, it's the oldest autographed Seaver card that I have.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Great question and even better answer!
    Thanks Dan.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Posted in the September pickups, but want to try to update this thread.

Received this in the mail the other day. I enjoyed watching Elston play when I was a kid. I always wanted to pick up one of his autographed cards ... and now I have one. It's hard to believe he died over 35 years ago.

I put in a low bid, never thinking I would win. The combination of the clarity of the card ... the sharp auto ... and the placement of the auto ... make this a very nice one to own.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty of a card/auto Doug.

He's a tougher one for me since he died in 80 before the explosion of player autos IMO.

Glad to see you got a good deal buddy.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I almost went after it. I really want a 55 Bowman but that'll go for well into 4 figures I think.
    Received this one today ... my 31st different slabbed Seaver autographed card. Not the auto that I really like (see the two above), but this will do.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug, your signed Seaver collection is amazing!
    edited December 15, 2016 5:09PM

Next Wednesday will be SEVEN YEARS since I sent the below two cards to Juan Gonzalez at his home in Puerto Rico. They arrived back today ... both were signed. Thanks Juan!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the longest you've waited for a return on a TTM auto?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I just looked back at my list and coincidentally there is one other card that took just as long ... 6 days short of 7 years. The other was Larry Herndon. Funny thing about Herndon is it took him almost 7 years to send them back UNSIGNED!!! lol

Some others that took a long time:
    Jimmie Hall (1960s baseball) - 6 years 8 months
    Gregg Jefferies - 5 years 10 months
    Rudy Keuchenberg - 5 years 6 months
    Al Jackson (baseball 1960s) - 5 years

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome returns Doug! I've recently gotten into TTMs for collecting Topps Rookie Cup autographs and I had to laugh because I have cards out to Jimmie Hall and Al Jackson so it may be a longer quest on these than I initially thought! Oh, and I love the 68 Seaver auto. That's a stunner. Just a gorgeous card.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

great stuff Doug

congrats. keep them coming

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• I love when you post these long wait returns. I'd love to know where he kept the letter for 7 years. Wow. Congrats on getting the return Doug.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE

@yankeesman said:
    Awesome returns Doug! I've recently gotten into TTMs for collecting Topps Rookie Cup autographs and I had to laugh because I have cards out to Jimmie Hall and Al Jackson so it may be a longer quest on these than I initially thought! Oh, and I love the 68 Seaver auto. That's a stunner. Just a gorgeous card.

HAHAHAHAHA. Let's just hope Hall and Jackson misplaced mine!!! If not, I'll wait for your post in 2023!!!!

Fred and Kyle - THANKS! It's been a LONG time since I sent out TTMs. I keep saying that I need to start up again.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug