Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

Comments

• Nice card, nice gesture. It's a Christmas miracle!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice card, nice gesture. It's a Christmas miracle! >>

No, getting this card for Doug would be a Christmas miracle. image

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Cmon Mike, open those pockets! Sell some boxes from your vault and make it happen!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cmon Mike, open those pockets! Sell some boxes from your vault and make it happen! >>

Bah, humbug!!! imageimage
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice gesture. Super card for an amazing collection. One of my favorite threads to follow.
    Steve
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... nah, some idiot kid thought it was a '51! LOL THAT, my friend, would be the centerpiece of my collection ... BY FAR!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Doug, I really wish you owned the exact card in your avatar

<< <i>Doug, I really wish you owned the exact card in your avatar >>

Dan ... I do ... only problem is it's a custom .... 10.5" x 7.25". LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Oohhh.... That's still really cool!

The other day I had to talk some sense into myself. I already own a nice signed copy of 69 Topps Cappelletti and another copy I just picked up in PSA 8. I was browsing eBay and found a copy of the card signed "to Dan." Was able to (mostly) convince myself that it would be a silly expense.
    If it was not expensive you should have bought it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• It wasn't. It's still available if I change my mind
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new addition, Doug! The board generosity is awesome!!!
    Thanks John. Still looking for more 52's.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug, congrats on the last couple 52's! As you know, I actively collect this set now and enjoy seeing the autos. I still love the first post in the thread about Lou Sleater. I would probably get more of a kick from the responses than the auto itself image

Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
    On January 8, 2010 I sent a 1964 and 1965 Topps card to Mr. Al Jackson and asked him if he would sign them. FIVE YEARS later l received this 1978 TCMA card. At least he sent me back something signed. Thank you.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I've had both things happen, but never with the same person. I've had TTM's come in 2 or 3 years later (never 5, but still....years). I've also had Bernie Carbo send the wrong card. I sent him a 1973 (with Cardinals). He sent back a 1976 (with Red Sox). Ended up getting a 1973 later.

Did you see the 1952 Topps Harray "P-Nuts" Lowry on Ebay? I planned on bidding, but it got a little too rich for me. Do you have that one? I've got many Cardinals, but not that one.

Shane

• That's a strange one Doug, but a great looking sig.

I sent Steve Garvey 2 cards. I got 3 back and only one of them was one I sent.

<< <i>Did you see the 1952 Topps Harray "P-Nuts" Lowry on Ebay? I planned on bidding, but it got a little too rich for me. Do you have that one? I've got many Cardinals, but not that one. >>

Yes Shane, I have that one. In the past few days there were some autographed 52's that went for WAY MORE than they are worth ... most 2xs their value. I was told that they were all consigned by one individual ... which makes me think there was some less than honest bids.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I will ever pursue a TTM, if I do I wouldn't know what set I'd choose, but this is inspiring. Great job, Doug.
    Thanks Dan. Pick out some players that you like and just send to them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I still get TTMs from my 1981 project in 2010.

<< <i>I still get TTMs from my 1981 project in 2010. >>

It's always fun when an old one arrives in the mail!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    You can almost hear the history when you look at some of these.
    PackManInNC

<< <i>You can almost hear the history when you look at some of these. >>

So true. One of my favorite responses is still the first one I got back when I started this thread - Lou Sleater. THE MICK was my idol growing up, so to get that handwritten letter from Mr. Sleater talking about being teammates with Mick ... very special to me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Have picked up only two signed 52's in the past 2 months. Would be nice to pick up a few more.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Shane, that "P-Nuts" Lowery is back up on eBay thru the same Seller.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Pretty excited about picking up this card last night on eBay. The exact card was sold late in 2013 prior to being autographed. It was sitting in a PSA "1" slab. It is now autographed and sitting in a Red PSA/DNA slab. I paid $5.00 more than the card sold for prior to it being signed and sitting in a PSA/DNA slab. Good deal! Looking forward to getting the card in hand.

This now puts me at 180 different signed cards from the '52 set, including 9 Hi #s.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• 180, wow!
    Congratulations on the high number. I would love to own me a Cardinals high number that is signed.

180 different 1952 Topps cards... That is amazing. By the way, I am watching The Lowrey.

Shane

Shane ... PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Received the '52 Jackson. Very happy with it. Now have to find some more '52s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Still looking for some more 52s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Still looking for more autographed '52 Topps.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I may have to start up my TTMs again. Been a couple of years.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

On December 9, 2009 I sent out about 50 cards from the '69 Football Set. Been quite a while since one came back. Look what I received today ... 5 1/2 years later!!! He also sent me two pictures on 8.5 x 11 copy paper ... one of him and one of the '66 team. He signed them both, but it looks like the signatures are copies as well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Doug, that's fantastic! Cool return and the letter puts it over the top.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Doug. I wrote 6 TTM's out tonight. I think I will start sending out a few again.
    Thanks Casey.

Ben, it's been a LONG time since I sent out my TTMs. I keep saying I should start sending them out again.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Casey.

Ben, it's been a LONG time since I sent out my TTMs. I keep saying I should start sending them out again. >>

I picked up several 800 count boxes of 70's basketball and football. I am using some of the doubles as stuff to send TTM. I will probably start updating my old TTM thread once some returns start rolling in again.
    That is so neat. It gives me hope of getting a few more outstanding ones that I never got back. That makes me want to send out more Cardinals TTM'S. One of these days I will. I just do not the have the time these days.

Shane

Shane ... I probably still have HUNDREDS outstanding from 4-5 years ago. Don't think I will see too many of them. That's why it's fun when one does show up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Might have to send out some more TTMs. Have to decide on which ones.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Shane, what's the longest it has taken for you to receive back a TTM?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Just curious if you will follow up with the Huechenberg's and ask for the poems they have written about football? They might be pretty cool and
    you might get a signed picture of Bob Keuchenberg out of the deal.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    Dennis ... I did not follow up. After reading your comment I was going to, then I remembered the pictures that he sent, including the autograph on them, were copies. image

At least the signature on my card is real!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 931 ✭✭✭
    In my auto project the longest it took to receive one back was Don Money who took 376 days.

Not long before my return he did a public signing where I got a couple cards signed, and a few weeks after I got my return of 5 signed back. So the last few weddings I've gone to I throw cash into a card along with one of his signed cards and write "HOPE YOU LIKE MONEY!" I figured that's good for a laugh.
  • I got Jake Plummer back after 5 years. I sent to him in 1999 and didn't get the card til 2004. Successes beyond 3 years are rare. Í've had maybe 10 come comeback beyond 2 years out of 3,000 or 4,000 SASES that I sent out between 1998 and now.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Alan Trammell took at least 5 years to send one back to me. I sent a '95 Donruss out of a pack when I was away at school.

I moved back home to finish college and moved out after I finished. My mom called me some time after that (so, at least mid to late 2000, probably later) to tell me I had "a weird envelope show up with what looked like my handwriting."

I had no idea what it was - didn't even remember sending it out.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    I posted this result in John's thread to thank him, but also wanted to include it in my thread as well.

John headed the RED FLIP submission, so I sent in 22 '52 Topps along with a Sy Berger, which I thought would be a nice addition to the '52 set. I was very happy that I was 23 for 23.

Below are the two HI #s as well as the Sy Berger.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards. Congrats on 100% results.