Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I am looking forward to seeing Bard. He's been tearing it up in the minors.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sorry but did any of you guys see John Henry's Future Wife? She is SaMokin' I gotta say it, he cant really think she would be marrying him if he was your average Blue Collar worker? image
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    The city of Boston has defeated Goot tonight.

Nice games guys. Atleast they were both exciting!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papelbon still scares me. Lets up a hit and a walk just about every inning, yet is perfect in save chances this year. He must have a field of four leaf clovers shoved up his rear
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im sorry but did any of you guys see John Henry's Future Wife? She is SaMokin' I gotta say it, he cant really think she would be marrying him if he was your average Blue Collar worker? image >>

I hope he is smart enough to have a Pre-Nup. If not, he should talk to Paul McCartney.
    I wonder how many games Pedroia will miss? This is the opportunity Luso needs to get the trainwreck going.
    According to boston.com he's going to be out tomorrow and hopefully back on Wednesday. Cross your fingers!

<< <i>According to boston.com he's going to be out tomorrow and hopefully back on Wednesday. Cross your fingers! >>

:crossing fingers big time:

Okay west coast swing begins tonight. I doubt I will make it the whole game but I am going to try!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I've grown to loathe the Angels over the last couple years. I hope we not only sweep them, but I hope we embarrass them while doing it . . . I'm thinking of something along the lines of Ellsbury stealing home against them.

<< <i>I've grown to loathe the Angels over the last couple years. I hope we not only sweep them, but I hope we embarrass them while doing it . . . I'm thinking of something along the lines of Ellsbury stealing home against them. >>

the Sox have sucked against LAA during the regular season. I'd be happy to see them win a game or two.

If you really want LAA to be embarrassed, have DO hit a home run against them!

<< <i>

<< <i>I've grown to loathe the Angels over the last couple years. I hope we not only sweep them, but I hope we embarrass them while doing it . . . I'm thinking of something along the lines of Ellsbury stealing home against them. >>

the Sox have sucked against LAA during the regular season. I'd be happy to see them win a game or two.

If you really want LAA to be embarrassed, have DO hit a home run against them! >>

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Linda Pizzutti, formerly of lynnfield, John Henry's girl

I knew there was something I forgot to google today...

You go John Henry!

12:07 central time...worth it to see Varitek drive in the lead run. I hope the Papelbon adventure in the bottom of the 9th is a good one.
    anyone who was watching...was that Scott Boras in the dugout-type "seats" behind home plate? Sure looked like him.
    I didn't make it to the end unfortunately! Good comeback by the boys though.
    Youklis on the DL isn't good though. Hopefully he'll be back on the 20th.
    Nice comeback win! I see a time coming soon where top starting pitchers will only sign with teams that have solid bullpen -- unless you are Ray Hallday.

• << <i>anyone who was watching...was that Scott Boras in the dugout-type "seats" behind home plate? Sure looked like him. >>

Yes, it was him. He was able to see JD Drew come through last night.
    Just thought I'd mention that for all the JD fans on this board. image
    Nice win, JD did come through.

I still dont like him though.
    all this happy talk needs a brief interruption: Julio Luso still sucks. EOM
    Hey Barndog, there's a Game Used Lugo jersey on the BST board. I figured you'd be all over that!

<< <i>Hey Barndog, there's a Game Used Lugo jersey on the BST board. I figured you'd be all over that! >>

no doubt never used in an error-free game image

<< <i>

<< <i>anyone who was watching...was that Scott Boras in the dugout-type "seats" behind home plate? Sure looked like him. >>

Yes, it was him. He was able to see JD Drew come through last night.
    Just thought I'd mention that for all the JD fans on this board. image >>

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    Well we started out good, but it appears Wake doesn't have it tonight. At least it's only the 4th.
    that was not fun to watch until Bard came in for two innings of scoreless relief. Blew away Napoli. Pretty consistent 95-97 MPH. That was the highlight of the night

<< <i>that was not fun to watch until Bard came in for two innings of scoreless relief. Blew away Napoli. Pretty consistent 95-97 MPH. That was the highlight of the night >>

I think there is a decent chance he will do better than Javier Lopez. image

<< <i>

<< <i>that was not fun to watch until Bard came in for two innings of scoreless relief. Blew away Napoli. Pretty consistent 95-97 MPH. That was the highlight of the night >>

I think there is a decent chance he will do better than Javier Lopez. image >>

some in-game commentary:

Penny sucks.
    Hunter would have had that ball, Ellsbury should have caught it

Blew sucks

the plate is about 3" wider today. Santana knows it, Penny does not
    update: Penny still sucks image
  • Just asking why people here say Lugo and Penny suck (which is ok with me), said Timlin sucked last year (which was
    not ok with me), but these same people have yet to say that Big Papi sucks (unless I've missed the posts).

I know it's early, but Papi is worse then Drew, Lugo, and basically everyone else on the Sox.
    Ortiz has done a little bit over the years to help the Sox image

He is having a terrible year and he may have entered into suckdom, but right now I am more inclined to believe that a few injections and he'd be back to normal image
    I sure am tired of seeing DO whiff with RISP...then whine about it to the umpire or whomever else is nearby
    I'll say it: David Ortiz sucks this year and it's not because Manny left and there's no one in the lineup to protect him. He doesn't seem to see the ball well, he doesn't seem to be able to catch up to fastballs this year, and when he does make contact it looks like a malnourished version of Big Papi is hitting for him. I hate to say it, but I think he stopped taking steroids and now his body is breaking down fast.

<< <i>I'll say it: David Ortiz sucks this year and it's not because Manny left and there's no one in the lineup to protect him. He doesn't seem to see the ball well, he doesn't seem to be able to catch up to fastballs this year, and when he does make contact it looks like a malnourished version of Big Papi is hitting for him. I hate to say it, but I think he stopped taking steroids and now his body is breaking down fast. >>

yep, no roids, no bat speed, no contact
    Ellsbury looks bad again on that "attempted catch"

best fielding play by Blew I've seen from him yet! Came out of nowhere to make that catch and nail Abreu at home image

still not worth $14 million image

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll say it: David Ortiz sucks this year and it's not because Manny left and there's no one in the lineup to protect him. He doesn't seem to see the ball well, he doesn't seem to be able to catch up to fastballs this year, and when he does make contact it looks like a malnourished version of Big Papi is hitting for him. I hate to say it, but I think he stopped taking steroids and now his body is breaking down fast. >>

yep, no roids, no bat speed, no contact >>

Torii Hunter is the best CF of this generation, wow!
  • "yep, no roids, no bat speed, no contact ..."

... and no World Series ring without Manny and Big Popeye

<< <i>

<< <i>

yep, no roids, no bat speed, no contact >>

image >>

0 for 7, left bases loaded twice, including in the 11th. Someone else needs to be in the 3 spot, rather than Mr. Automatic Out who has stranded 11 today
  • OK Boys, time to bad-mouth Manny Delcarmen now ... image
    I know Francona wants to be loyal to Ortiz and I can respect that. But Ortiz hitting 3rd is hurting the team at this point. The #3 slot is reserved for the best hitter on the team and although Papi might have fit that role in year past he clearly fits it no longer. Francona can remain loyal to Papi but still drop him down to the 7th or 8th slot where he'll still get some at bats. In the meantime, maybe that would reduce some of the pressure to perform?
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    The boss took the firm to the game today. Very entertaining. No loss is attributable to one play or even one player, but seeing David Ortiz going 0-7 does leave a lasting impression.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. That was one awesome catch by Hunter!
  • big sloppy should be benched. When Youk comes back he shouuld hit 4th, or Bay.

<< <i>image >>

That says it all....

Well got home just in time to see the end! image
    0-7 for Papi...wow. Francona can be loyal as he wants, but he needs to rearrange the lineup..NOW
  • image .................................... image
    ....image ............................ image
    .........imageimageimageimageimage