Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lester is killin me! He looks like Buccholz of last season. Maybe its his turn to go down to the farm to make room for Clay. >>

Hopefully this extended tune up for Clay will pay off at some point, I would love to see him get in there and pitch to his potential.

Lester will be fine ( Lets hope )
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I agree that Lester will be okay but man Clay is tearing it up in the minors. We could potentially have Smoltz and Clay up in June. Then I guess Penny would be trade bait?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that Lester will be okay but man Clay is tearing it up in the minors. We could potentially have Smoltz and Clay up in June. Then I guess Penny would be trade bait? >>

I'd say Penny is gone well before the trade deadline. Buchholz will be up and Smoltz will be in the rotation too.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The trade deadline will be interesting. Penny will be a key piece, I'm sure, but I wonder how easy it will be to pull off a deal that helps the Red Sox and another club. Whoever gets Penny gets a quality pitcher at a bargain price but only for the rest of the season. What can the Red Sox expect to get in return? I can't imagine the return will be that great, but I've been wrong about trades before (a lot).
  • Options
    I wonder if there will be any opportunity for Matt Holliday? I realize he has been a shell of his former self but I think its only a matter of time before he gets used to the A.L, I wouldnt mind the Sox taking a crack at him.
  • Options
    Ok Beckett lets assume the role of staff ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rest Lester now. Rest Dice-K some more. Throw Penny, Beckett, Wake, Buchholz, and Masterson for a while.
  • Options
    the CAPTAIN with 2 HR today so far...second one was a SHOT into the top deck in right, wow!
  • Options

<< <i>the CAPTAIN with 2 HR today so far...second one was a SHOT into the top deck in right, wow! >>

Any one of us could have been offered a million to one odds that V-Tek would have 9 more HR's than Papi at this point and I dont believe any of us would have taken that bet!
  • Options
    and Varitek just got ejected! Looked to me like Beckett was about to bi&*^ to the home plate ump and Varitek took a bullet for the team. He's earned his salary today!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The LOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZER in today's game is the crazy homeplate umpire. What a short fuse!! Tosses both managers and catchers...first time for Tek to get ejected. The ump even spins around when he does his little (I got the power) move.

Bailey was out at home, no question. Twins catcher was pissed, as he clearly tagged Bailey before he got near home plate. Bailey even misses tagging home. The ump calls Bailey safe and the Twins catcher does his best Yogi Berra impersonation.

I say let the guys give off some steam before pulling out your little God-like move and tossing people. Hopefully MLB reviews this and the ump gets set back to the minors for a while, what a joke.
  • Options
    Orsillo said it's Varitek's 4th career ejection. 24th for Francoma
  • Options
    We best get out of here with the W.
  • Options

<< <i>I say let the guys give off some steam before pulling out your little God-like move and tossing people. Hopefully MLB reviews this and the ump gets set back to the minors for a while, what a joke. >>

Gotta agree with you Al, by any chance did you see Sportscenter when it showed Zambrano getting tossed for bumping into the ump yesterday? The Ump clearly bumped into Zambrano first, these Umps are getting a little out of control!
  • Options
    if the last two outings are any indication, it would seem that Beckett is back.
  • Options
    Nice! Beckett with a SOLID outing, OK & Paps cleaning the rest of it up image
  • Options
    I've been in meetings all day and didn't even get to catch most of it online. Can't wait to see the highlights though. How about Tek with 10 bombs? Who saw that coming. Also, another quality start by Beckett. Maybe he's coming around. I hope so!
  • Options
    I caught the 6th and 7th innings while on my lunch break. Beckett looked good to me. It's nice to see him putting it all together finally. I'm especially pleased about that since Dice and Lester still look shaky. As long as 2 or 3 of the starters are doing okay at a time the team should be able to continue winning more often than they lose thanks to the hitting and the pen.

I did not expect Varitek to hit 10 bombs all season, let alone doing it by the end of May, but I'm really happy for him and the team. It makes me wonder how much of last year's problems were off-the-field related?
  • Options

<< <i>I did not expect Varitek to hit 10 bombs all season, let alone doing it by the end of May, but I'm really happy for him and the team. It makes me wonder how much of last year's problems were off-the-field related? >>

Divorse last year for him? Either way Ms.Watney is a nice shoulder to cry on image
  • Options
    Yeah, if Heidi Watney was my girlfriend and she was at every game I think I'd do whatever it takes to hit as many long balls as possible. After all, chicks dig the long ball, right? image
  • Options
    Speaking of "Divorse", the honeymoon's almost over for you Beantown Boys. After all, it's almost June -- time for the Sucks to be lookin' over their shoulders. image
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, if Heidi Watney was my girlfriend and she was at every game I think I'd do whatever it takes to hit as many long balls as possible. After all, chicks dig the long ball, right? image >>

ever watch Heidi primp constantly "on the sidelines" before, during and after a game? Heidi digs Heidi, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Paul...

I missed the Zambrano eruption, but I heard about it. Crazy guy!!

As for those that may have missed Varitek's second homer, it was a "Reggie Jackson-like" monster bomb. Almost hit the pic of Puckett, just a few rows shot, truly a monster shot. If Heidi is the cause of this, I say primp away and keep Varitek as happy as yo can!! image

Beckett did look good. Hopefully Toronto doesn't wake up during our next visit. Enjoy the games!! Wouldn't it be great for Ortiz to come alive now!!

Al
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    As much as I truely hate to say it, I think Ortiz has run his course in Boston.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul...

I missed the Zambrano eruption, but I heard about it. Crazy guy!!

As for those that may have missed Varitek's second homer, it was a "Reggie Jackson-like" monster bomb. Almost hit the pic of Puckett, just a few rows shot, truly a monster shot. If Heidi is the cause of this, I say primp away and keep Varitek as happy as yo can!! image

Beckett did look good. Hopefully Toronto doesn't wake up during our next visit. Enjoy the games!! Wouldn't it be great for Ortiz to come alive now!!

Al >>

I just saw the Tek HR...WOW, that was a shot. You're right Al. If Heidi is the cause of this the Nation is happy!
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I truely hate to say it, I think Ortiz has run his course in Boston. >>

I think you are absolutely wrong...he has run his course in baseball, period.

(I hope we are both wrong. He's a good guy, good teammate, good Bostonian, and his bat is sorely missed)
  • Options
    If Jason was a real captain he'd share Heidi with Papi to see if that could be the slump buster he needs.
  • Options

<< <i>If Jason was a real captain he'd share Heidi with Papi to see if that could be the slump buster he needs. >>

if Heidi was a real fan... image
  • Options
    Von...

Are you suggesting Heidi "take one for the team"? image I doubt Jason is gonna let her out of his sight...she may be a hottie, but I think she may well be HIGH maintenance.

Batter up!!!

• Options
    I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything that they aren't morally comfortable with but something tells me she might just be okay with it as long as it was "for the team".

I think you're right about the high maintenance. But like when people say that having lots of money doesn't buy happiness I just have to shake my head and say I'd like to find out for myself.

I guess I should stop posting until after the Red Sox start playing another game otherwise everything I write is going to be about Heidi.

Remember this though?:
    Meow
  • Options
    Anyone that gets involved with a woman of Heidi's caliber knows EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into, V-Tek is a smart guy I assume so Im sure he can handle it quit well image

BTW- LETS GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( God she is SMOKIN' though image )
  • Options
  • Options
    Believe it or not, I'm married to a Heidi, and another Heidi is my boss. What are the chances of that happening.
    My boss looks a lot worse then that Heidi. My wife looks better then that Heidi. image
  • Options
    Season is over for the Sux -- tonight marks the beginning of the end for their 2009 season. To give them a decent burial, there will be a wake on the field.
  • Options
    You Beantown Boys are kinda quiet tonight. Maybe the wake on the field has taken over the entire Sux Nation?

I really don't wanna be stuck carrying this entire Chumpionship thread ...

Oh, you've decided that personal e-mail among yourselves is more appropriate than boring the rest of us with your daily rants? Brilliant!! image
  • Options
    Wow Perk....Thanks for the great Heidi pic!
    Lets bounce back tomorrow with the W!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Time to make our run!
  • Options
    Time to make OUR run!

And exactly what position do you play? Left Out?!
  • Options
    Sox not on today on the MLB ticket? What's up with that? Oh well! image
  • Options
    Guess I am glad it wasn't on. 4 hits is not going to get it done. The offense is sleeping lately....
  • Options
    no luck seeing the game for me either. Gladly missed the lack of performance by the offense. Ramirez had his first bad outing, which I guess is OK after his otherwise-lights-out performances so far this year. Last year's team sucked in road games, this one seems to also. Unless they get better away from home, the team will not be successful.

successful = WS victory
  • Options
    Im hoping we dont go through the same BS like last year when we go through long periods of not scoring, the division is already heating up with Toronto & NY- not to mention the Rays who are only 5 games out. Same with Baltimore but Im not even thinking they will be in the mix.
  • Options
    BottomFeeder wrote: "4 hits is not going to get it done."

Wow, thanks for that expert post-game commentary. You've got a future as a baseball analyst -- for an audience of 3rd Graders.
  • Options
    Lester on the hill today I believe, lets get him some runn support and enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon W!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to pop in and say hello to the Red Sox nation.

I also wanted to share this image of one of Perkdogs gals.

• Options

<< <i>Just wanted to pop in and say hello to the Red Sox nation.

I also wanted to share this image of one of Perkdogs gals.

image >>

image Brian Red Sox nation extends its warmest greetings to you and again your always welcome to pop in!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papi now hitting .185, well below the Mendoza line. image

If this continues and his BA dips below .175, not only is it hurting the team, it is embarassing to even put him in the lineup anymore! At that point he needs to go on the DL or down to extended spring training to see if he can even hit 85 mph fastballs.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything that they aren't morally comfortable with but something tells me she might just be okay with it as long as it was "for the team".

I think you're right about the high maintenance. But like when people say that having lots of money doesn't buy happiness I just have to shake my head and say I'd like to find out for myself.

I guess I should stop posting until after the Red Sox start playing another game otherwise everything I write is going to be about Heidi.

Remember this though?:
    Meow >>

A classic! image

• Options

<< <i>Papi now hitting .185, well below the Mendoza line. image

If this continues and his BA dips below .175, not only is it hurting the team, it is embarassing to even put him in the lineup anymore! At that point he needs to go on the DL or down to extended spring training to see if he can even hit 85 mph fastballs. >>

what's the record low average for a player playing the entire season? Even at #6, he is leaving guys on base regularly.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Papi now hitting .185, well below the Mendoza line. image

If this continues and his BA dips below .175, not only is it hurting the team, it is embarassing to even put him in the lineup anymore! At that point he needs to go on the DL or down to extended spring training to see if he can even hit 85 mph fastballs. >>

what's the record low average for a player playing the entire season? Even at #6, he is leaving guys on base regularly. >>

He should be at #8, #9, or on the DL.