Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This series possibly a World Series preview? >>

You'll get a preview of the representative from the American League, yes. >>

Yea cause the Phillies beatup on a different AL team last season in the WS - it'll be fun this season beating up on a different team...ya know...variety being the spice of life and all that.
  • Options
    Yeah, I wasn't comparing Drew to Nixon when it comes to heart. I was only comparing numbers, plus Drew covers more ground
    in the outfield and runs the bases better. Nixon was clutch and all heart, but I think both are comparable in ability.

Welcome Phillies fan(s) to our wonderful thread. You will be treated with dignity and respect throughout this lovely series
    we have with your wonderful ballclub. We hope you enjoy your games with us, as we are a professional ballclub that respects
    the game and it's fans. Good luck to you sir(s).
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not a fan of designating one person as a team's closer, but apparently all of MLB sees it another way. Reason I bring it up here is that the Yankees could have held their lead, or at least given themselves their best shot to do so, by following their best starting pitcher (Sabathia) with their best reliever (Rivera). It was obvious early in the 8th that CC was out of gas. Why not bring in Rivera to face the top of the Sox order, saw off a bat or two, and maybe get a double play? If he succeeds and has enough left for the 9th, great. If he is spent, then a lesser reliever comes in to face lesser hitters. I don't blame Girardi as this is baseball's "groupthink" practice.
    >>

I agree -- I am surprised a manager like LaRussa has not tried pitching their best bullpen pitcher (i.e. their "closer") against the best part of the lineup when they are up in the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning, instead of saving the "closer" for the 9th, even if the bottom of the order is up. I would think that, over the long haul, a team would win more games. Of course the closers would hate it, because they get thier big contracts from "saves" even if they are with a 3 run lead against the bottom of the order in the 9th inning.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I wasn't comparing Drew to Nixon when it comes to heart. I was only comparing numbers, plus Drew covers more ground
    in the outfield and runs the bases better. Nixon was clutch and all heart, but I think both are comparable in ability.

Welcome Phillies fan(s) to our wonderful thread. You will be treated with dignity and respect throughout this lovely series
    we have with your wonderful ballclub. We hope you enjoy your games with us, as we are a professional ballclub that respects
    the game and it's fans. Good luck to you sir(s). >>

I've always respected the Red Sox as a team, and of course they've had some great players over their many years including one of the greatest of all time.

Similarly, both them and the Phillies seem to have shed their reputation as losers, and that's certainly a good thing, especially when the recent New York teams seem to be cementing a reputation as choke artists. image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, I wasn't comparing Drew to Nixon when it comes to heart. I was only comparing numbers, plus Drew covers more ground

the game and it's fans. Good luck to you sir(s). >>

I've always respected the Red Sox as a team, and of course they've had some great players over their many years including one of the greatest of all time.

Similarly, both them and the Phillies seem to have shed their reputation as losers, and that's certainly a good thing, especially when the recent New York teams seem to be cementing a reputation as choke artists. image >>

Here's to a great weekend series between the last 2 World Champs. Should be fun!!!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I agree -- I am surprised a manager like LaRussa has not tried pitching their best bullpen pitcher (i.e. their "closer") against the best part of the lineup when they are up in the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning, instead of saving the "closer" for the 9th, even if the bottom of the order is up. I would think that, over the long haul, a team would win more games. Of course the closers would hate it, because they get thier big contracts from "saves" even if they are with a 3 run lead against the bottom of the order in the 9th inning. >>

Isn't LaRusssa one of the guys most often credited with the architecture of the current thinking on pitching? It seems like he was the guy that really developed and popularized the idea of a 6 or 7 inning starter followed by 1 or 2 relievers and then a closer.

I think there definitely are times when it helps a team to bring in their best reliever early even if that happens to be their closer, but I think that there are so many other factors that prevent that from happening. Factors such as pitch counts (even for relievers) and, I think, managers wanting to avoid being second-guessed in the media.

My humble opinion is that the Red Sox have figured out the best way to handle this. They don't often need to bring Papelbon in early because the Red Sox have stacked their bullpen with 4 or 5 guys that could be a closer for another team. A lot of people will complain that the game has changed (and rightly so). Starting pitchers don't expect to finish the games they start anymore. What we have now is a game where the entire bullpen is more important than it has ever been before. Credit should be given to the Red Sox for accepting this and working to achieve a top tier pen. The Yankees, on the other hand, still have some work to do in that area.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I freakin' went to bed last night after Afraud made it 3-1 only because I didnt want to see them lose.

What a NICE suprise this morning!!!!!!!!

How Sweep it is!!!

• Options
    On to the Sillies!

• Options

<< <i>I am not a fan of designating one person as a team's closer, but apparently all of MLB sees it another way. Reason I bring it up here is that the Yankees could have held their lead, or at least given themselves their best shot to do so, by following their best starting pitcher (Sabathia) with their best reliever (Rivera). It was obvious early in the 8th that CC was out of gas. Why not bring in Rivera to face the top of the Sox order, saw off a bat or two, and maybe get a double play? If he succeeds and has enough left for the 9th, great. If he is spent, then a lesser reliever comes in to face lesser hitters. I don't blame Girardi as this is baseball's "groupthink" practice.

Anyway, the outcome of this game was a welcome surprise. If I was a gambler (and I am not), I would have lost money on this game as I was sure Sabathia was going to far outpitch Penny. >>

Agree 100% about the CC vs Penny part- enough that I feel I should do an open letter of apoligy!

As far as what your saying about MLB or a "groupthink" practice? Bottom line Girardi is to blame for keeping CC in there- if anything it says he has ZERO faith in his pen ( which I dont blame him ) He had a pretty high pitch count and was laboring, he should have spelled him regardless if it was Mo rivera or someone else.

Glad things worked out the way they did though image
  • Options

<< <i>On to the Sillies!

image >>

Be afraid, be very afraid.
  • Options
    Well we silenced Spankee fans, hopefully we can silence Sillies fans as well. Then we will temporarally own bragging rights to CU Sportstalk image
  • Options
    I guess Francona put Ramirez in for the save since he was the most rested. Pap does look pretty PO'ed not being in there though. Oh well....too bad for Lester he was dealing again!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a good week for Ramon Ramirez image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    pap was scared, best be stays on the bench

• Options

<< <i>I guess Francona put Ramirez in for the save since he was the most rested. Pap does look pretty PO'ed not being in there though. Oh well....too bad for Lester he was dealing again! >>

WTF! image

Geez, if a starter can pitch 7 innings, a star closer can pitch 3 innings over the course of 3 days!! They coddle these closers too much.
  • Options
    I wonder if he's available now in the 13th?
  • Options
    Ellsbury and Green gettin it done! image
  • Options
    God dammit, the Mets choked in the bottom of the 9th! image

What a horrible error -- a 9 year old kid can make that catch image
  • Options
    And Lowell too.
  • Options
    kyle kendrick is not a closer
  • Options
    Bard made it interesting but finally ended it!
  • Options

<< <i>Bard made it interesting but finally ended it!
    image >>

Ibanez hit by a 99 mph heater -- that will leave a welt!
  • Options
    good game, we will be back!

• Options
    Nice to pull that one out in the end.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Was pretty stressed there for a bit, although I think it was mostly the beer talking. 4 extra innings of drinking can get pretty rough...
  • Options
    Great game against the Phillies.

At the end of this season I think people will be talking about how the 2009 Red Sox had the best bullpen of all time.
    I think the stats will show that collectively this one was the best.
  • Options
    Agreed about Papelbon looking pissed that he wasn't in there in the 9th.

Bard looked pretty impressive last night.
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed about Papelbon looking pissed that he wasn't in there in the 9th.

Bard looked pretty impressive last night. >>

Yes he was -- the Red Sox pitching factory produces another gem. What is also impressive is that one of thier castoffs (Aardsma) has become an effective closer for Seattle this year!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Stevek

Well, any special advice you wanna give out for tonight's game???
  • Options

<< <i>So Stevek

Well, any special advice you wanna give out for tonight's game??? >>

yes, be afraider.
  • Options
    How about the Phillies play some defense? 3 errors in the first?
  • Options
    someone has been watching too many Met highlights. un#$*@#*&amp; believable
  • Options
    if God is a Phillies fan, the rain won't stop
  • Options
    keep raining baby.............flood that field
  • Options
    just looked at the radar, see you tomorrow.

Kevin
  • Options
    Rain will pass, and the beating will continue! image
  • Options
    send some aircraft up there and seed the clouds. LOL
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Steve...

How's the game so far? Does 5-0 do anything for you?
  • Options
    According to Boston.com game will restart at 9:10
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bastar-do is spanish for rains long time.

• Options
    need a localized tornado to touch down (pitcher's mound) if Matsuzaka starts the 5th
  • Options
    May windup the Red Sox wishing the game was rained out.
  • Options

<< <i>So Steve...

How's the game so far? Does 5-0 do anything for you? >>

5 - 4 looks better
  • Options
    June 13, 2009: mark it, I agree with Francoma (just pinch-hit for Matsuzaka). Don't care what Ortiz does as long as the pitching change is certain.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So Steve...

How's the game so far? Does 5-0 do anything for you? >>

5 - 4 looks better >>

Not as good as 8-4 LOL
  • Options
    Why is Jack Tashner still on the team? He sucks big time!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Nice win tonight, but Man, these late night games are killin' me.
  • Options
    Nice win for the Red Sox. We'll meet again Sunday afternoon.