Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone who had enough plate appearances for batting title qualifications ever hit lower than Rob Deer in 1991? He hit .179 and Ortiz is closing in fast.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Nice play by Green in the bottom of the 3rd to throw out Scutaro on a grounder deep in the hole. It's nice to see a Red Sox SS actually making tough plays.
  • Options
    Ortiz just doubled . . . which is funny because I was just going to write that I think there could be a silver lining to his suck fest. If he was hitting .240 - .250 around the trade deadline perhaps Theo would stay put. If he's still below the Mendoza line maybe that prompts Theo to swing a deal for a big bat (like Holliday).
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ortiz just doubled . . . which is funny because I was just going to write that I think there could be a silver lining to his suck fest. If he was hitting .240 - .250 around the trade deadline perhaps Theo would stay put. If he's still below the Mendoza line maybe that prompts Theo to swing a deal for a big bat (like Holliday). >>

Aw crap, he just extended his lingering on the lineup another week.

Nice HR by the sparkplug -- right over the LF fence on the foul pole!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Nice to see the bats breaking out today and Lester pitching well. It's about time!

Bay hits number 15 as I am typing!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great game Lester pitched today! image

BTW- I would LOVE to see Holiday in a Sox uni! Doubtful it will happen unless Theo gives up some young talent.
  • Options

<< <i>What a great game Lester pitched today! image

BTW- I would LOVE to see Holiday in a Sox uni! Doubtful it will happen unless Theo gives up some young talent. >>

I think the only way he is in a Sox uniform is if they can't sign Bay. Otherwise, they have no spot for him. I'd rather see HALLIDAY play for the Sox! Not gonna happen though, I know that image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What a great game Lester pitched today! image

BTW- I would LOVE to see Holiday in a Sox uni! Doubtful it will happen unless Theo gives up some young talent. >>

I think the only way he is in a Sox uniform is if they can't sign Bay. Otherwise, they have no spot for him. I'd rather see HALLIDAY play for the Sox! Not gonna happen though, I know that image >>

Just saw that you said HALLIDAY- agree with you there! Glad your not saying Matt Holiday in place of Bay!

IMO there is no way we dont sign Bay.
  • Options
    BAY MUST STAY!!!
  • Options
    the NYY need a left fielder, I don't think this is a lock.
  • Options
    That's why we should sign him this season IMHO!
  • Options
    I think Bay and his agent are wise enough to wait, his price will only go up. As a fan, I say sign him today, but that's not the reality of the situation.
  • Options
    If were talking Matt Holliday, I think there is space for him. He can play OF (the Sox definitely need 4 OFs) or he can DH because we've got a Big Papi-sized hole at DH.
  • Options

<< <i>the NYY need a left fielder, I don't think this is a lock. >>

What happened to that other ex-Pirate, Xavier Nady?
  • Options
    I read today that Nady had a setback in his rehab program and that he's still trying to avoid season-ending Tommy John surgery.
  • Options
    A TON of talk about Papi on the radio today as well as a column in the Herald all pretty much saying the same thing- its getting to the point that something has to be done about him, wether its a Triple A stint for however long it takes- if ever! The non existent production out of the DH spot is simply hurting the team- how would we look if we have been getting #'s from there?

Also talk of the Sox basicly releasing Luso and moving on. ( image )
  • Options
    Little Papi is sixth in the order tonight...ahead of people outslugging him this year like Varitek, Ellsbury, and Nick Green.

David, you were the best and we would have zero championships without you, but hey, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. We owe you a lot ($12 million or so next year).
  • Options
    Ortiz actually got a single in his first AB. Okay so it's not that big a deal but that's all we've got right now!
  • Options
    It's about time Mr. Bay hits an HR with someone on base! image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am willing to offer up a golf clap for Dice K - anyone care to join me?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I like the idea of sending Papi down to Pawtucket so he can hit 3rd and get some ABs or something and hopefully he can take advantage of some lesser pitching until he gets his head and body figured out.

(And yeah, I'll give a golf clap for Dice.)
  • Options

<< <i>I like the idea of sending Papi down to Pawtucket so he can hit 3rd and get some ABs or something and hopefully he can take advantage of some lesser pitching until he gets his head and body figured out.

(And yeah, I'll give a golf clap for Dice.) >>

can we leave Ortiz there?

Matsuzaka didn't have command (just like last year), but won (just like last year). He is an odd bird.
  • Options
    Golf Clap for Dice.

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Beckett's lookin good tonight!

Edit: No-Hitter through 5!

Edit #2: Make that a NO NO through 6! Come on Nation Wake Up!
  • Options
    6 2/3 before Curtis Granderson lucked out... Regardless he's got that stuff tonight.
  • Options
    We're here K. Just being quiet during the No-No. It's nice to see Beckett have back to back quality starts!
  • Options

<< <i>We're here K. Just being quiet during the No-No. It's nice to see Beckett have back to back quality starts! >>

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

We still love ya though K!

Lets keep it goin Sox!!!
  • Options
    Way to break out the Bats!!! Even Papi with a 2 run 2b!
  • Options
    This is a great game overall.

Papi just knocked in a couple with a double, followed up by Captain Tek with a 2-run double of his own.

I'll take a 10-0 8th inning lead any day. The Tigers seriously look like they've lost their fight tonight.
  • Options
    Too bad we still don't have a shortstop that can make a play! I hope Youk is okay.
  • Options
    OMFG!!! If we lose a 10-0 lead I'm gonna scream then go find a baby seal to club...
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad we still don't have a shortstop that can make a play! I hope Youk is okay. >>

This is the curse of Nomar in affect. I don't who's more of a liability, Green or Lugo.
  • Options
    Has anybody else gotten the subtle impression that Sutcliffe thinks the Red Sox need a new SS?

• Options
    What the Sox need right now is a good @$$ chewin! The last couple innings made me quite upset. Yeah we got the win, but what a disaster...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad we still don't have a shortstop that can make a play! I hope Youk is okay. >>

This is the curse of Nomar in affect. I don't who's more of a liability, Green or Lugo. >>

that play never happens if Pedroia doesn't first screw the pooch on the flip to second base.

Way too much nonchalant fielding by the Sox these days...which is unfortunate, especially in tonight's game since Beckett looked the best he has in a long time
  • Options
    SWEEP!!! A nice end to the road trip and Wake gets his 7th win!
  • Options
    just finished watching the game (DVR). I hate watching Papelbon, absolutely hate it.
  • Options

<< <i>SWEEP!!! A nice end to the road trip and Wake gets his 7th win! >>

• Options

<< <i>just finished watching the game (DVR). I hate watching Papelbon, absolutely hate it. >>

Don't worry, his command will come back. image What happened to his splitter, though? It's all but disappeared, replaced by a less effective and seldom used slider.
  • Options
    Josh Beckett is dealing. Wakefield looks like he can pitch until he's 55.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone hear how Remy's doing??? I haven't heard or read a thing since Orsillo said he was recovering from lung cancer surgery.
  • Options
    On June 1st Remy released this statement which doesn't provide a lot of details but hopefully is still accurate:

"Hi, this is Jerry. I just want to thank everybody for the overwhelming support I've got from you over the last couple of weeks. I've got a much larger family than I ever anticipated. Hope to be in the booth very soon."

I'm excited for Red Sox baseball over the next couple weeks. 12 of the next 15 games at home where the Sox average over 6 runs a game (best in the bigs). Now that the pitching seems to be getting in order, Papi is out of the lineup more, and there's a long homestand in front of us, it would be a good time to put a slew of Ws on the board.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the trade of Brad Penny. Any way to package Julio Luso with him?
  • Options
    He looked good for a few innings then went downhill really quick.
  • Options

<< <i>He looked good for a few innings then went downhill really quick. >>

I think Penny is a great pitcher for 4 innings...seems to be his pattern.
  • Options
    Any truth to the trade rumors between Florida Marlins and Boston?

Jorge Cantu for Brad Cannot
    and
    Dan Uggla for David Ortiz

• Options
    Penny's performance would have been a whole lot better if Lugo hadn't botched that play that would have ended the inning right before Kinsler went deep for 3.
  • Options

<< <i>Penny's performance would have been a whole lot better if Lugo hadn't botched that play that would have ended the inning right before Kinsler went deep for 3. >>

c'mon, we can't expect Luso to be able to take three steps right or three steps left for a measly nine million dollars a season!
  • Options
    Crap game after that nice sweep of the Tigers. Hopfully Penny has a good start next time to increase his trade value.

Also, would the Sox PLEASE dump those stupid hats with the socks? I think they have lost nearly every game they have worn those! image
  • Options
    two straight great performances: Lester is back! So now that's Beckett and Lester and Wakefield. I hope Matsuzaka joins the club soon too.