Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    I'm taking credit for Big Popeye's power surge tonight. Just look back about a half dozen posts when I wrote:
    *** "OK, speaking of Big Popeye, here's a little something to raise the spirits of you flatulent Bean-Town boys ..."

And then you boys started tootin', the hot air started risin', Popeye hit one into the hot-air current, and the rest is history.

Maybe I'm a closet Red Sux fan. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I just got home for a particularly crappy day at work (384 people got laid off including one of my best friends) to see the Papi HR. Then Bay and Lowell. That sure cheered me up a bit. Who knows maybe Ortiz gets a little confidence now?
    image >>

the double that he hit later in the game may be even more confidence-building, hopefully convincing him that the homer wasn't a fluke
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Time will tell. It sure was nice to see!
  • Options
    13th HR for Bay!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    So glad to see the Manny trade worked out in our favor...
  • Options
    Sweep!!!! Way to go boys!
  • Options

<< <i>Sweep!!!! Way to go boys! >>

We definitely needed it the way the Yanks have been playing lately.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sweep!!!! Way to go boys! >>

We definitely needed it the way the Yanks have been playing lately. >>

• Options
    Nice to see Lester playing up to his potential!

Tough game for Dice tonight going against Santana, lets hope the Pets can stick to the norm and provide little to no runs for him.
  • Options
    We let Santana off the hook in the first inning. Hopefully we'll get to him eventually.
  • Options
    why the heck does Luso still wear a Sox uniform? I can sort of understand Francoma's loyalty to Ortiz (Ortiz has done good things in the past), but to Luso? What a brain dead useless roster filler image
  • Options
    can Ortiz sink any lower?
  • Options
    There ain't nothing like a trip to Fenway Pawk -- you can see a ballgame and see your OB-GYN all in the very same trip.

Say what??? Well, if you saw the Sox closer blow the lead tonight, then you know it can be described as both a ballgame and as a Pap smear. image
  • Options
    What happened to the run production all of the sudden? Hopefully we'll bust out the bats in big way today.
  • Options
    No question about the review Pap served one up. Nobody is perfect, lets move right along and start scoring some runs and keep fighting!

Seriously I hope that Papi hitting that HR ( Which just cleared the wall BTW ) doesnt give Tito a false sense of hope that the "old" Papi is back...
  • Options

<< <i>No question about the review Pap served one up. Nobody is perfect, lets move right along and start scoring some runs and keep fighting!

Seriously I hope that Papi hitting that HR ( Which just cleared the wall BTW ) doesnt give Tito a false sense of hope that the "old" Papi is back... >>

Papelbon shook off a bunch of calls by Varitek for the slider yesterday, no doubt influencing the outcome.

And YOU KNOW that Francoma already has that false sense of hope.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I always wonder what happens after these situations. Varitek studies hitters and knows what they can't hit. When a pitcher shakes off Tek's call and it bites the pitcher in the butt like this does Tek keep it to himself or does he light into the pitcher for not listening to him? I'd have a really hard time not saying "I told you so."
  • Options

<< <i>I always wonder what happens after these situations. Varitek studies hitters and knows what they can't hit. When a pitcher shakes off Tek's call and it bites the pitcher in the butt like this does Tek keep it to himself or does he light into the pitcher for not listening to him? I'd have a really hard time not saying "I told you so." >>

I'm sure Varitek has one-on-one conversations regularly with all his pitchers, which is why they all speak highly of him. Saying "I told you so" won't get you far amongst professionals in any field of endeavor.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I always wonder what happens after these situations. Varitek studies hitters and knows what they can't hit. When a pitcher shakes off Tek's call and it bites the pitcher in the butt like this does Tek keep it to himself or does he light into the pitcher for not listening to him? I'd have a really hard time not saying "I told you so." >>

I'm sure Varitek has one-on-one conversations regularly with all his pitchers, which is why they all speak highly of him. Saying "I told you so" won't get you far amongst professionals in any field of endeavor. >>

Exactly, Im sure Tek was not happy but in hindsight Papelbon has shaken his calls off many times before and say 8 out of 10 times it has worked.

It can go either way but there is no question these guys need to have a working relationship with eachother as well as mutual respect for each others ability when their out there.
  • Options
    Nice bounce back win today! image

Papi 0-5 from the 3 hole.... image
  • Options
    NYY loss doesn't hurt either image
  • Options

<< <i>NYY loss doesn't hurt either image >>

No it does not! image
  • Options
    "Papi 0-5 from the 3 hole...."

Geez, you are a gloomy gerty. If you're so concerned about Popeye's lack of production, then why not send him a can of spinach?!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Thanks Bo Sox! Nice doing business with you!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Nice bounce back win today! image

Papi 0-5 from the 3 hole.... image >>

a home run and a double a while ago buys too much hope from Francoma
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice bounce back win today! image

Papi 0-5 from the 3 hole.... image >>

a home run and a double a while ago buys too much hope from Francoma >>

Agreed it was nice to get him off the homerless streak but his production doesn't merit being in the 3 hole or barely in the lineup for that matter.
  • Options
    I have no problem with Ortiz in the 8 slot for a while. I expect very little from the 8 spot, so I believe Ortiz can deliver on those expectations.
  • Options
    Lets hope we can nail this one down!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Red Sox happy to be done with the NL East for a while, back to playing crap teams in the AL

JS
  • Options
    Not liking these HR's Papelbon is getting the habit of giving up lately but I will take the W.
  • Options

<< <i>Not liking these HR's Papelbon is getting the habit of giving up lately but I will take the W. >>

two successive sucky outings...the role of closers is so overrated and over-paid in MLB.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not liking these HR's Papelbon is getting the habit of giving up lately but I will take the W. >>

two successive sucky outings...the role of closers is so overrated and over-paid in MLB. >>

Yes and no, like I said 8 out of 10 X's Papelbon is going to lock down the W- I say he is worth the money. Just think if we had to rely on a Mike Timlin type of guy image
  • Options
    IMO, nobody is worth more than $6 million a year to pitch about 60 innings. With a BP like the Sox have this year, I'd imagine they'd have plenty of success with closer by committee
  • Options
    I didn't see the HR he gave up yesterday but the one on Saturday missed his spot bad. At least he had a 3 run lead to work with. Given Francona's propensity to stick with the regulars I don't think we'll go to closer by committee, but maybe Paps will get more off days?
  • Options
    and on other fronts...

Clay Buchholz took a perfect game into the 9th in a AAA match. Gave up a leadoff single and that was it. He has been lights out in AAA this year. He'll be with the Boston club this year.

John Smoltz has a 50-pitch start tonight in Manchester (NH). He is on schedule to be with Boston in June.

So with all this, who gets traded or sent down? Penny traded? Bard sent down?

And what about Mark Kotsay's return? What roster spot to move then?

And sad to say, but hot-hitting Nick Green might be the one out of a job when Jed Lowrie comes back...because IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY ($9 million/year) with keeping Julio "no-range, can't throw, can't catch, can sometimes hit" Luso on the team.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Ortiz will drop to 8th in the lineup, RS management has tried to be gentle about this topic, but reality is reality. After all, Ortiz makes $80k per game, gotta figure out someway to get something for that kinda salary.

The SS slot is IMO, up for grabs between Lowrie and Green...I'm leaning Green. Lugo, who gets a bit over $57K, YES, $57K PER GAME, is probably being shopped as we discuss this. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone before the deadline, but for SURE, he will get on the same bus as one Mike Timlin did last year, it's already parked on Yawkey Way and idling.

I wince when I think of Drew, lack of consistency given his salary...highest paid on the team. Whoever cut that deal is regretting it for sure.

All in all, I think we're in good shape. Paps needs to take a deep breath and not get his BP cranked up and just focus on striking out batters. Homers happen, he needs to let it go and focus on the next game.

• Options
    There is no avoiding the fact that Luso has been one of the all time worst signings in Sox history ( Jose Offerman comes to mind as well as JD Drew ) I say we cut ties with him and move on to whatever direction other than him.
  • Options
    "I say we cut ties with him and move on to whatever direction other than him."

And exactly how much of his salary are you payin', P-dog?
  • Options
    Lester on the hill tonight fellas, lets get another W huh!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    YES!!! LET'S SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS!
  • Options
    The real problem with Lugo is not necessarily the contract although it certainly doesn't help. The real problem is that in order to move his contract (or even a portion of it) the Red Sox have to show that Lugo is worthy of playing SS for another team. The only way to show that he is worthy of playing time is to give him playing time. Unfortunately, the more he plays the more he proves that he isn't worth it. It's a Catch 22 and I believe we're stuck with him.

It might just be better if we use Lugo and Ortiz in a DH platoon. And I'm only half-kidding about that.
  • Options
    Ortiz is batting sixth tonight, ahead of Varitek, Bailey (Lowell has the night off...Youkilis is at third), and Luso. Drew takes the number three spot. Francoma loves that Left-Right-Left thing at the top of the order.
  • Options
    broken record: Lester is not good this year. He has Ortizitis.
  • Options
    I don't know how this team is in 1st place.
  • Options

<< <i>image
    I don't know how this team is in 1st place. >>

1. bullpen
    2. Jason Bay
    3. Ellsbury + Pedroia
  • Options
    Come on boys, could you play that violin a little louder?
  • Options
    Go away.
  • Options
    Would you like some cheese with that?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you like some cheese with that? >>

Grienke sucks -- his ERA went up last night! image
  • Options
    Lester is killin me! He looks like Buccholz of last season. Maybe its his turn to go down to the farm to make room for Clay.