Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know Francona wants to be loyal to Ortiz and I can respect that. But Ortiz hitting 3rd is hurting the team at this point. The #3 slot is reserved for the best hitter on the team and although Papi might have fit that role in year past he clearly fits it no longer. Francona can remain loyal to Papi but still drop him down to the 7th or 8th slot where he'll still get some at bats. In the meantime, maybe that would reduce some of the pressure to perform? >>

Agree, I think Francona has no choice but to drop him in the order now, he is killing the offense.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    How about:
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Bay
    Youk
    Drew
    Lowell
    Ortiz
    Tek
    Lugo or Green

That would put much less pressure on Ortiz to produce and maybe he could get going.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>Torii Hunter is the best CF of this generation, wow! >>

You should have seen the game tying homer he stole from Oliva of the Royals last Sunday!!!

Thread Highjacking in progress...
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Torii Hunter is the best CF of this generation, wow! >>

You should have seen the game tying homer he stole from Oliva of the Royals last Sunday!!!

Thread Highjacking in progress... >>

I saw it. Angels' fans must come to expect the spectacular from Hunter
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tito needs to do the right thing and move Papi out of the top of the order, I mean its past the ridiculas stage now.

Shame on Papi too for not stepping up and actually requesting to be moved until he gets his swing back- the team is definately hurting from him not hitting the way a guy should in his spot and he knows it. Yes I am grateful for all the things Papi has done for us in the past but the bottom line is this is a #'s game and those #'s are just not there! If I was Papi I would try to sneak another needle in just to get my swing back, as nobody thinks he is currently on the bean now!!!

<< <i>OK Boys, time to bad-mouth Manny Delcarmen now ... image >>

Nah its alot easier to badmouth you.

Your a hick from the backwoods of KC right? Drinkin' moonshine and posting away in the sox thread! image

<< <i>

<< <i>OK Boys, time to bad-mouth Manny Delcarmen now ... image >>

Nah its alot easier to badmouth you.

Your a hick from the backwoods of KC right? Drinkin' moonshine and posting away in the sox thread! image >>

I won't badmouth any pitcher with an ERA under 1, whehter he lets inherited runners score or not (althought the one from last game was his). Bottom line, the Sox should have won 7-4 in regulation.
    from boston.com:

David Ortiz is out of the lineup tonight for the Red Sox, replaced at DH by Rocco Baldelli (We'll have more on Ortiz after Terry Francona meets with the media).

Tonight's lineups:

Red Sox

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
    2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
    3. J.D. Drew, RF
    4. Jason Bay, LF
    5. Mike Lowell, 3B
    6. Rocco Baldelli, DH
    7. Julio Lugo, SS
    8. Jason Varitek, C
    9. Jeff Bailey, 1B
    -- Jon Lester, SP

<< <i>from boston.com:

David Ortiz is out of the lineup tonight for the Red Sox, replaced at DH by Rocco Baldelli (We'll have more on Ortiz after Terry Francona meets with the media).

Tonight's lineups:

Red Sox

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
    2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
    3. J.D. Drew, RF
    4. Jason Bay, LF
    5. Mike Lowell, 3B
    6. Rocco Baldelli, DH
    7. Julio Lugo, SS
    8. Jason Varitek, C
    9. Jeff Bailey, 1B
    -- Jon Lester, SP >>

You know I just cant get excited about JD Blew being in there though. image

<< <i>

You know I just cant get excited about JD Blew being in there though. image >>

at least he is hitting his weight.

<< <i>

<< <i>

You know I just cant get excited about JD Blew being in there though. image >>

at least he is hitting his weight. >>

just like Julio Luso has more HR's than Papi

are there any teams in MLB with worse starting pitching stats than Boston?
    I doubt it. Imagine our record if we had consistent pitching?

<< <i>I doubt it. Imagine our record if we had consistent pitching? >>

Funny thing is that it was to be our strongest point. image
    the starting pitching HAS BEEN consistent. Unfortunately, it has been consistently poor.

Relief pitching has been equally consistent, but it has been great.
  • Lester just doesnt look right; he's killing my fantasy team. Beckett isnt stepping up and you can rely on a 66 year old knuckle ball pitcher or a fat whale like Penny to anchor your staff...
    Another Bay bomb!
    Thankfully that was the last late west coast game of the season (not counting playoffs) image

Now lets win one more today and head home!
    I was fading when that last out was made. Sox game should be over in time to watch the Celtics game tonight!
    Sox played good enough to get the W, hopefully we can snag another one with Masterson on the hill today.
    Hey Theo! We need a shortstop that can play defense!
    that totally sucked.

Luso can't field or throw

Green can't field or throw

Lousy can't hit.

Not a good situation.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Green makes a bad throw that would otherwise have been the 3rd out. I give him a pass on that one.

What is more troubling to me is 9 LOBs, in particular was the bases loaded with no outs and no runs scored.

Youkilis returns Tuesday night and with any luck at all Ortiz wakes up. I will agree the SS position appears to be a problem.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    That is an interesting rumor, but I can't seem to get excited about it. Victor Martinez would be great, don't get me wrong, but trading for 30-year-old catchers worries me, especially when the asking price could be as high as giving away Buccholz, Bard, and Anderson.

I still feel like the best route would be to keep Varitek until Mauer becomes a free agent after next season (I think that's when he'll hit the market).

<< <i>Interesting rumor >>

but can he play shortstop? image
    Martinez is a great hitter but offers about as much power as Papi. We need a legit HR hitter IMO

<< <i>Martinez is a great hitter but offers about as much power as Papi. We need a legit HR hitter IMO >>

I'd take a .300-hitting singles hitter as DH at this point.
    If they are really going to consider trading the blue-chippers, why not go for someone like Holliday instead of V-Mart?
    Buchholz is doing so well in AAA, I don't see the Sox willing to trade him.
    just read that Ortiz is back, still in the spot given to the team's best hitter image
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for $13m per season I guess they gotta try to get something out of Oritz...more like hoping he comes out of the funk. Hard to believe Drew is pulling down $14m per season. Sox ain't gettin' much for over a $mil per week in those two salaries alone.

Hopefully things will improve, BUT, it is Toronto!
    0-3 tonight for Ortiz, he looks outclassed every time he steps into the box
    Ortiz really looks like he's had it.
    On the bright side Wake comes through again and Papelbon has a 1-2-3 9th!

Papi is all done and thats the bottom line, he can try and get himself ready any way he choses and unless he sticks a needle in his butt the end result is going to be the same- washed up with zero power.

On a positive note - Nice work Wake & Papelbon image

<< <i>Papi is all done and thats the bottom line, he can try and get himself ready any way he choses and unless he sticks a needle in his butt the end result is going to be the same- washed up with zero power.

On a positive note - Nice work Wake & Papelbon image >>

If I had to choose today, I'd have a hard time deciding who the team's most valuable player has been so far: Wakefield or Bay.
    that had to be the shortest game this year, what was it, about 2:15? We get so used to 3+ hour affairs that it is hard to figure out what to do with all the spare time when the game is over so early!
    Shaughnessy threw Ortiz under the bus today Text

<< <i>Shaughnessy threw Ortiz under the bus today Text >>

I dont think it was "throwing him under the bus" as much as it was the cold hard truth. Yes I feel bad for Ortiz, Yes I remember his late inning heroics, Yes Papi will always have a place in my heart for how much he has done for the Sox- same for Manny. Now comes the "But" part......

BUT he can no longer hit, he is now putting his selfish desire to remain in the 3 hole and leave men on base like they are going out of style! Im at the point now where Im getting equally mad at Tito as well as Papi, I have said it before that either Papi has to man up and take himself out of that spot or Tito needs to do whats best for the team, either way it needs to be done.

Bat him 8th and give it a go for a week or so and if it doesnt get any better than pinch hit him with a decent lead? I dont want to see him hitting 3rd or 4th unless he jabs another needle in his arm!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for Papi & Tek's B-12 shots...
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>

I dont think it was "throwing him under the bus" as much as it was the cold hard truth. Yes I feel bad for Ortiz, Yes I remember his late inning heroics, Yes Papi will always have a place in my heart for how much he has done for the Sox- same for Manny. Now comes the "But" part......

BUT he can no longer hit, he is now putting his selfish desire to remain in the 3 hole and leave men on base like they are going out of style! Im at the point now where Im getting equally mad at Tito as well as Papi, I have said it before that either Papi has to man up and take himself out of that spot or Tito needs to do whats best for the team, either way it needs to be done.

Bat him 8th and give it a go for a week or so and if it doesnt get any better than pinch hit him with a decent lead? I dont want to see him hitting 3rd or 4th unless he jabs another needle in his arm! >>

seems to me that "give me a week" stated to the media is likely related to something Ortiz and Francona agreed upon. So at the end of the week (end of the Mets series, most likely -- where Ortiz will be nothing more than a pinch whiffer) we should see Ortiz batting in the bottom third of the order unless a miracle occurs. I'd think that Ortiz in the 3 spot is more Francona's insistence than that of Ortiz. It smells of a Francona move. It worked five years ago (sticking with someone in the slump of all slumps) so he figures it will work again.
  • "I dont think it was 'throwing him under the bus' as much as it was the cold hard truth. Yes I feel bad for Ortiz, ..."

OK, speaking of Big Popeye, here's a little something to raise the spirits of you flatulent Bean-Town boys:
    What's the only part of Popeye The Sailor that doesn't rust? ANS: The part he keeps in Olive Oil. image
    David Ortiz hits his FIRST HR of '09.

Im happy for him image

He still has a long ways to go.....
    Bay.......... Lowell...........

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Gone.
    So glad to see Ortiz get that one out of the way. It's was so cool to watch Youk follow that up with a hit before Bay and Lowell went back-to-back. I guess the Blue Jays weren't for real after all.
    It is good to see however I fear that Tito might leave him in the 3 spot even if Papi goes another month and a half before he hits # 2 image
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is good to see however I fear that Tito might leave him in the 3 spot even if Papi goes another month and a half before he hits # 2 image >>

I know - that's my fear as well!!!!
    Well I just got home for a particularly crappy day at work (384 people got laid off including one of my best friends) to see the Papi HR. Then Bay and Lowell. That sure cheered me up a bit. Who knows maybe Ortiz gets a little confidence now?
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I saw them hand a card to big Papi..Im sure it was something like this:

Dear Big Papi

Congrats on #1, we miss you lots

Sincerely,
    Roids

It is miracle this crappy sportswriter is still in business, or perhaps he has photos of Boston Globe executives groping farm animals.