Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Went to the Movies tonight, but my wife tivo'ed the game. Great to see Ortiz hit a Homer, and a masterpiece by Lester. Watch out if we start getting quality outings from our starting pitchers!
  • Options
    "... and a masterpiece by Lester. Watch out if we start getting quality outings from our starting pitchers!"

Huh?? Hope you're not gettin' too excited about Lester winning a game. His career BAA is .270 -- average pitcher at best.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to the Movies tonight, but my wife tivo'ed the game. Great to see Ortiz hit a Homer, and a masterpiece by Lester. Watch out if we start getting quality outings from our starting pitchers! >>

Agreed! Beckett & Lester had a rough start but are looking like they are getting it together- actually the last two outings make Lester look like our ACE!

• Options
    "... actually the last two outings make Lester look like our ACE!"

Com'on P-Dog, 79 hits in 74 innings does not constitute an ACE -- not even in the backwoods of Missouri ...
  • Options
    Dice K amazingly had no walks today, but still got rocked. 1/2 game back going into the series with the Yankees. Should be interesting!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DVR'd the game, just watched it. Looked to me like the Sox mailed it in today. Odd. Even Bay seemed uninterested.
  • Options
    Interesting you say that...come to think of it other than Ellsbury's fantastic catch they did look rather lethargic today. Maybe looking ahead to the Yankees?
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting you say that...come to think of it other than Ellsbury's fantastic catch they did look rather lethargic today. Maybe looking ahead to the Yankees? >>

chilling while playing seems to cost Boston teams three or four games per year.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with DiceK? 1-4 ain't gonna get it done for sure. Let's hope Smoltz has enough gas in the tank to make a difference, and maybe Ortiz is on the mend as well.

Yanks are full of bluster after recent comeback wins...credit to them, but Fenway has been their downfall, let's hope that continues tomorrow.

Would appreciate any updates along the way about Remy.
  • Options
    Al, agreed about Dice, he has looked awful IMO. Hopefully he will pick it up as Lester & Beckett have.

I dont have much expectations for Smoltz.
  • Options
    Ok Nation time to get up for a HUGE 3 game set with the Yanks!

Like Peter Gammons said earlier not many series are "Huge" at this point but it is NY and according to the Herald its a much different team than when we beat them 5 out of 5 times already image

The Yanks are hot right now no doubt about that so it will be very nice if we can cool them off!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I'll agree that the Yanks are hot right now. However the Sox have gotten a lot better also. Back when we swept them our only hitter batting over .300 was Youk, and Lester and Beckett had yet to find their groove. So if the sceptics think that the Yanks are just gonna cruise they have another thing coming.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll agree that the Yanks are hot right now. However the Sox have gotten a lot better also. Back when we swept them our only hitter batting over .300 was Youk, and Lester and Beckett had yet to find their groove. So if the sceptics think that the Yanks are just gonna cruise they have another thing coming. >>

Hopefully you are right!
  • Options
    Kay said "So if the sceptics think that the Yanks are just gonna cruise they have another thing coming."

Count me among the sceptics, Kathy.

And where did you get that shiner? Musta been one helluva kat fight.
  • Options
    watching the game here in NH with family, who was it that said DO would come out of the slump? Awesome shot!
  • Options
    Just got home from watching my son get his first Varsity win. Did I miss anything good?
  • Options
    Hey bottom...not much...Ortiz put one into the bleachers in centerfield, Green probably broke a windshield as he put one over everything in deep left, Beckett was DEADLY, AJ Burnout looked awful, a 2-hit shutout and a rout of the Yankees 7-0. Other than that, it was a yawner. How I loved watching those Yankees strikeout, batter after batter. I loved Aroid's dumbass play to second instead of the easy out at 1st, for which he collected an error. Even got to watch Paps taking a snooze in the bullpen.

You missed a good one!!
  • Options
    Yeah I got home when it was 6-0 and got to see Paps snoozing. Great effort by the Sox!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey bottom...not much...Ortiz put one into the bleachers in centerfield, Green probably broke a windshield as he put one over everything in deep left, Beckett was DEADLY, AJ Burnout looked awful, a 2-hit shutout and a rout of the Yankees 7-0. Other than that, it was a yawner. How I loved watching those Yankees strikeout, batter after batter. I loved Aroid's dumbass play to second instead of the easy out at 1st, for which he collected an error. Even got to watch Paps taking a snooze in the bullpen.

You missed a good one!! >>

Great game!
  • Options
    From Boston.com.
    The last 5 Lester and Beckett starts
    IP H R ER BB SO HR Result
    (B) May 28 @ Minnesota 7.0 3 1 1 4 8 1 W, 3-1
    (L) May 31 @ Toronto 6.0 3 1 1 3 12 0 W, 8-2
    (B) June 3 @ Detroit 7.2 2 3 0 2 9 0 W, 10-5
    (L) June 6 vs. Texas 9.0 2 1 1 2 11 0 W, 8-1
    (B) June 9 vs. NY 6.0 1 0 0 2 8 0 W, 7-0

Totals (5-0, 0.76) 35.2 11 6 3 13 48 1 5-0 (36-9)
  • Options

<< <i>From Boston.com.
    The last 5 Lester and Beckett starts
    IP H R ER BB SO HR Result
    (B) May 28 @ Minnesota 7.0 3 1 1 4 8 1 W, 3-1
    (L) May 31 @ Toronto 6.0 3 1 1 3 12 0 W, 8-2
    (B) June 3 @ Detroit 7.2 2 3 0 2 9 0 W, 10-5
    (L) June 6 vs. Texas 9.0 2 1 1 2 11 0 W, 8-1
    (B) June 9 vs. NY 6.0 1 0 0 2 8 0 W, 7-0

Totals (5-0, 0.76) 35.2 11 6 3 13 48 1 5-0 (36-9) >>

Smokin' (Jim Carey)
  • Options
    good game so far, got to keep the offensive pressure on...you never know with Wakefield on the hill
  • Options

It got a little hairy there but Pap shut the door! That's 7/7 boys!!!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny D must have stolen Papi's mojo.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Great game. Did anyone notice how Swisher got wall shy on a ball he should have caught....and then
    went flying into the wall on a ball he had no chance to catch ?

JD Drew had great AB's. Our catcher played great too. Knuckleball machine ???

Jason Bay would hit over .300 if he would be more willing to go to right field. Hopefully he's not falling
    too much in love with the monsta. Tried to pull too many pitches on the outer half last night.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work with some Yankee fans, they are NOT happy, can't wait to see them today.
    A lot of lean years being a Sox fan, now the Yanks are chasing us.
    All about October, cheers,
    Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Another nice Red Sox win, although Damon and Tex made it interesting. Question tonight is, does Penny have enough juice to pull off the sweep? Another Fenway sweep would surely demoralize the Yankee team, no question.
    Hopefully Penny gets us well into the game, then we see Masterson and perhaps one or two others to close the game and lock down the sweep. How much sleep is Girardi getting over the Wang performance? I think Wany is TOAST and will soon be in some obscure AA or A league. He got very lucky in the first inning.

As for Swisher, he choked the fly ball, then had NO shot at the other, but decided to show all that he was hustling...all show boat crap, along with his nutty hair style.

For those of you who work with Yankee fans, I say show them no mercy!! If the Yankees were up on us 7-0 can you imagine the abuse you'd be taking??

At worst we come out 7-1, I'll take that all day long.

GO FOR THE SWEEP!!
  • Options
    Penny sucks after four innings, no way the Sox win this one unless Sabathia has an uncharacteristically bad day. Four good innings from Penny followed by three from Masterson would be the way I'd draw up a win, but Francoma and I don't often execute our game plans the same way.image
  • Options
    Oh Man I thought we were going to blow that one last night- which would have been a HUGE letdown....but it didnt happen image

Gotta love beating those guys, I know its early and anything can happen but alot of things look good- I love that we got a bunch of guys hitting HR's and the Starting Pitching is looking sharp.

Big Tex looked great but the bottom line it was for NOTHING image

Im not thinking Penny has much of a shot against CC tonight but with some major run support it can happen!
  • Options
    And I have to agree about Swisher, that ball was like 7 seats up and he had ZERO chance of catching it- what a goon trying to look like he was playing hard when in fact it was just plain stupid.
  • Options
    Well I hope Penny pitches well enough to give us a chance to win. We've had CC's number before.
  • Options

<< <i>And I have to agree about Swisher, that ball was like 7 seats up and he had ZERO chance of catching it- what a goon trying to look like he was playing hard when in fact it was just plain stupid. >>

choose: Swisher or Drew for your team?
  • Options
    Tough choice. I guess Drew...I can't believe I typed that.
    Swisher is a hard nosed versatile player but I think Drew produces more.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And I have to agree about Swisher, that ball was like 7 seats up and he had ZERO chance of catching it- what a goon trying to look like he was playing hard when in fact it was just plain stupid. >>

choose: Swisher or Drew for your team? >>

ALL things considered?

Drew. ONLY because of that Grand Slam against Cleveland in '07

Right now? Like this second?

Swisher and its not even close.
  • Options
    consider salaries, length of remaining contract, and the opportunity cost of not having that kind of money available while tied up in the specific players
  • Options

<< <i>consider salaries, length of remaining contract, and the opportunity cost of not having that kind of money available while tied up in the specific players >>

Thats why I say right this second its Swisher.
  • Options
    I like JD Drew. I think he's highly overpaid, but I still like him. I liked Trot Nixon, and I feel Drew is very similiar to Trot.
  • Options
    I'd take Swisher. At the end of the season (and at the trading deadline), you have lots of free cash around to spend on an outfielder or two, and maybe it wouldn't be someone made of glass
  • Options

<< <i>I like JD Drew. I think he's highly overpaid, but I still like him. I liked Trot Nixon, and I feel Drew is very similiar to Trot. >>

No way you can compare Drew with Trot- No doubt that Drew has more talent per say but in no way can that make up for the scrappy play that Nixon displayed his ENTIRE Sox career.

For the 1000th time my biggest complaints are #1 his lack of heart, he is way to much of a wimp when it comes to injuries. #2 Is his lack of emotion, I meen c'mon he stabbed the Sox for a RIDICULAS amount of money that he is NOT worth and goes about his gameplay like he couldnt care one way or another. Weve ALL seen it so you know what I meen.
  • Options
    There is life for Big Papi!!!
  • Options

<< <i>There is life for Big Papi!!! >>

Barely. He was super late getting around on that ball. C.C.'s velocity had a lot more to do with it getting out then Papi's swing.

I think the biggest factors in Ortiz still playing in Boston is that he is a great guy, he has a lot of heart, and he's a fan facorite. That and you never know when he'll come around with a classic walk off job. Other then that his glory days are behind him and he's fizzling out much like Mo Vaughn did at the end of his career. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and would love to see his bat come around, but I just don't see it happening.
  • Options
    Tonights game is killing me. 2 1/2 hours just to get to the stretch is a bit rediculous. Not to mention Penny's performance tonight took it's toll on me. I felt like I was watching Dice-K the whole time.

EDIT: But at least he didn't give up a run within his first 10 pitches... image
  • Options
    Penny certainly wasn't overpowering but overall he had a good outing. Too bad Delcarmen couldn't hold the lead.
  • Options
    8 in a row!
  • Options

That's 8-0!!!

• Options
    HUGE, H-U-G-E credit to Brad Penny who pitched a whale of a game. Incredible to think the Red Sox have swept the Yankees yet again to go 8-0 for the season!!! Paps was deadly, and the Tex shot to Youk was the perfect capper to an exciting game.

How about the play by Green!!!!!!!! I think Lugo watched his Red Sox career failure light come on as bright as Rudolph's nose!!

I LOVED Damon (I'd never play for the Yankees) dropping the ball. Girardi will be losing serious sleep over this debacle. One can only wonder what King George's minions will have to say behind closed doors, what an HUGE embarrassment for the Bronx chokers.

Fan of the night goes to the guy with the broom sweeping away the Yankees, who looked shell-shocked at the end.

This is why you NEVER NEVER leave Fenway early.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of designating one person as a team's closer, but apparently all of MLB sees it another way. Reason I bring it up here is that the Yankees could have held their lead, or at least given themselves their best shot to do so, by following their best starting pitcher (Sabathia) with their best reliever (Rivera). It was obvious early in the 8th that CC was out of gas. Why not bring in Rivera to face the top of the Sox order, saw off a bat or two, and maybe get a double play? If he succeeds and has enough left for the 9th, great. If he is spent, then a lesser reliever comes in to face lesser hitters. I don't blame Girardi as this is baseball's "groupthink" practice.

Anyway, the outcome of this game was a welcome surprise. If I was a gambler (and I am not), I would have lost money on this game as I was sure Sabathia was going to far outpitch Penny.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now it's time to kick some Beantown butt.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This series possibly a World Series preview?
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This series possibly a World Series preview? >>

You'll get a preview of the representative from the American League, yes.