Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Wow congrats on the Ryan thats gotta be the nicest one I've ever seen come out of a pack. Hope it gets a 9
  • Fergie,

If you hit the Mays Flashbacks auto out of your 2003 Heritage box, please let me know.

I have been looking for that card for a while now.

Considering your good fortune I don't think it's too much of a longshot.

Joe
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Way to go on the Jordan!

My son wanted one of those 2008 Goudey boxes for Christmas because they were cheap and if you're lucky you can get a good Sports Royalty auto... he got a Kila Ka'aihue auto and a Bill Hall jersey... so you're not the only one who didn't do well...
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous rips as always! Congrats on the Jordan. Thanks for sharing!! image
  • Congrats on the Ryan and the MJ RC!!

I just spent the last 30 min going through this thread. amazing stuff!
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the congratulations on the Jordan. Was definitely psyched when I hit it especially after hearing how 1980scollector did on his rip.
    I got this Fitzgerald today in the mail. Purchased on eBay for $1000. Supposedly these are limited to 50 so they do not show up in PSA 9 very often. Glad to get it for my PC.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Nice hit on the Jordan. That looks like a monster pack overall. You should do quite well on that pack if you are planning to resell.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Amazing pull Fergie. I wish I knew what it would feel like to even pull one of those.

Did you notice on your first pack however, you got 6 players with the same last name! Talk about odds.
  • RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    What a thrill. This thread is a lot of fun.

If you ever consider selling that Jordan RC, drop me a PM.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Can't wait to see those 71-72 OPC Hockey cards!!!
    A PSA 9 1971 Topps Terry Bradshaw RC purchased on ebay for $4600. This card completes my 1970 and up PSA 9 Football HOF RC collection. I do not think I will be staying current with the PSA Football HOF Registry going forward as I collect mostly Playoff Contenders autos for modern Football RCs and those don't "count" in the registry for whatever reason.

One pack of 1971-72 OPC series II hockey cards purchased from BBCE for $650 at 2012 National. No big hits was definitely a very fun rip.

Two packs of 1975-76 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $75 per pack at the 2012 National. Centering was not very good in the packs and didn't hit a Gillies RC. Still need a PSA 9 Gillies for my Hockey HOF RC collection.

Two packs of 1974-75 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE. One pack purchased at 2012 National for $65 and the other purchased as part of the CU forum RIP for $56.25. Pulled a Gervin but it was a team leaders card rather than his rookie. I still need a Gervin RC in PSA 9 for my Basketball HOF RC collection.

One box of 1991 Topps Stadium Club football purchased from BBCE for $70 at 2012 National. Always a fun rip for me.

Really like that Bradshaw. Very very nice.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

One box of 2010 Allen & Ginter purchased at the 2012 National. Do not remember what I paid (maybe $85) but I bought it thinking it was 2012 A&G. Nothing of note in the box.

One pack of 1972 Topps Baseball Series 5/6 purchased from BBCE as part of the CU forum RIP for $225. Only one reasonably centered card, pictured, and literally had never heard of any player in the pack. Ohh well better odds of pulling a star for the other folks that bought packs.

One pack of 1973 Topps baseball Series 5 purchased from BBCE as part of the CU forum RIP for $195. Unfortunately no love in this pack either. None of the cards appear nice enough to sub.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    fergie, did you just buy that bradshaw on eBay a couple weeks back? I was bidding furiously on it. Congrats!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    One pack of 1986-87 Fleer basketball from a full box purchased from BBCE as part of CU forum RIP for $375. Cards were pretty much uniformly OC top to bottom and no Jordan.

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That Jordan is a great rip.
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking Gervin leaders card!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Those 1971 OPC are beautiful.
    I had sworn off subbing to PSA after they damaged my Tom Brady Playoff Contenders auto RC but the Jordan pulled at the National demanded a PSA case so I complied.
    Pretty surprised by the Wilkins grade since I thought it was an easy 9, will take a look when I get it to see if I missed something. I sent these in under the Express service and they popped this afternoon (8/29). The Brady RC I bought raw at the National for $500 which is about what a PSA 9 costs so very happy it made the expected grade and can be added to my Tom Brady RC PSA 9 collection. The Ryan grade is fair though I was hoping for a 9. The Jordan grade is also about right.

NEAR MINT 7 1986 FLEER 121 DOMINIQUE WILKINS
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 TOPPS MINI 500 NOLAN RYAN
    MINT 9 2000 PACIFIC CROWN ROYALE 110 TOM BRADY AUTOGRAPH Card
    Total Items: 4
    Date Received: 8/21/2012

• << <i>
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 TOPPS MINI 500 NOLAN RYAN
    MINT 9 2000 PACIFIC CROWN ROYALE 110 TOM BRADY AUTOGRAPH Card
    >>

If you were selling, I think you would more than cover your expense for the cards and packs. Nice hits.
  • Thanks for sharing, that Jordan is money in the bank!
    Four boxes of 2012 Topps Minis purchased from the Topps web site for $50 per box. No auto but still a fun rip. I will probably buy some additional boxes on the secondary market.

One box of 2003 Topps Heritage purchased at the 2012 National for $165. No auto or patch but still fun to open.

• Just curious - how cautious should I be buying unopened packs on eBay from the late 70's? I purchased a single pack of 78 and 79. How rampant is pack tampering? I am ok paying 10 or 12 a pack, so long as things are on the up and up.

I do have a question about grading packs. What is the purpose of grading packs? What exactly are they grading? The cards on top? The neatness of the wrapper? The folds? Authenticity?

I enjoy opening packs and I would have a hard time keeping some of the stuff I see on these threads sealed! image

When I get the packs I will post what I get here.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be VERY cautious of buying 70's wax on the bay. Its hard to tell from a picture if a pack is authentic. I think I even read that Steve Hart from the Baseball Card Exchange (the most reliable expert when it comes to unopened wax) said that approximately 50% of vintage wax on the internet is tampered with. Its very important to know who you are buying from and their reputation.

The purpose of pack grading is to authenticate the pack as unsearched and to grade the pack on its appearance (whether it has tears) etc.

Id strongly advise to only buy from Steve at the Baseball Card Exchange if you are going to spend significant $$ on older wax. I'm no expert, but I'll pay a bit of a premium buying from him knowing that what I get is most likely unsearched and authentic.

Jeremy
    One pack of 1965 Philadelphia football purchased PSA graded from a board member a while back. Have never opened this product and managed to pull a HOF RC but it is a little OC. Have another 65 Philly pack I will open as well.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Pretty kewl to see that pack opened. I just sold one, graded by PSA, on eBay the other week. After buyer received the pack, he informed me that they were actually '66 cards in a '65 wrapper. He was able to tell from my scan of the reverse. It was easy to tell after he brought it to my attention.

Are you going to send any in to be slabbed? Good luck if you do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    One pack of 1965 Philadelphia football purchased PSA graded from a board member. Two packs and two HOF RCs. The Eller looks like an 8. This pack had 6 cards instead of the 5 that the other pack had. Would like to open a 66 Philly pack or two at some point as well.

Those Phillys look great. 2nd pack looks sharp. Keep this thread going.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• That Eller is awesome! One of my favorite FB cards.

Robert
    Got this Brady in the mail today for my PC, purchased off eBay for $496. Slowly but surely making progress on my PSA 9 Brady RC Collection.
    Also had Steve from BBCE overnight my packs from the CU forum rip so will be opening those as well.

• That 65 Philly Munson card looks like a cross between Johnny Unitas and Jim McMahon.
    Two packs of 1986-87 Topps hockey purchased from BBCE as part of CU Forum rip for $12.50 per pack. No Roy but plenty of HOFers.

• << <i>Two packs of 1986-87 Topps hockey purchased from BBCE as part of CU Forum rip for $12.50 per pack. No Roy but plenty of HOFers.

image >>

NIIIIICE!!! i miss 1980's Hockey
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    One pack of 1986-87 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE as part of the Sept 2012 CU forum rip for $388.89. My Jordan RC mojo is still going strong, looks like it might get an 8 but wouldn't be too surprised with a 7. This is the 9th I've pulled since I started this thread, unbelievable luck so far.

Edited to add grades:
    Date Received: 12/28/2012

Edited to add grades:
    Date Received: 12/28/2012

• Bravo!!!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭
    9 Jordans! Incredible!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭
    Are you going to rip the 2nd pack you bought from the BBCE rip, or are you going to stop while you are ahead?
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    sweet pull Fergie. You have had some great fortune.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

i love that it's the best centered card in the pack!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    Love to see your massive stack at a blackjack table - how bottomless are your funds? Good stuff, your wife must love cards!
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
    Seven packs of 1975 Topps mini purchased from the Chantilly card show for $40 per pack. Some of the worst centered packs I've ever opened for 75 minis, glad the dealer only had 7 packs.

Five packs of 1984 OPC hockey purchased at the Chantilly card show for $14 per pack. Pulled an Yzerman but too OC to submit I think.