Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭
    Two packs of 1985 Topps hockey purchased from BBCE at the National for $40 per pack. Sadly the edge damage is pretty extensive on the Lemieux. Have 10 packs left but will hold off on opening those for a while.

Edited to add grades:
    Sent Gretzky in on a friend's submission

GEM MINT 10 1985 Topps 120 Wayne Gretzky
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    DAMN! What a shame on the Mario!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    One box of 2000 Omega football purchased off ebay for $58. Still looking for a Brady/Redman and Brady/Bledsoe in PSA 9 for my Brady RC collection. Pulled a PSA 10 on the last Brady/Redman I had subbed for me. I am probably the only collector around that is upset when they get a 10 instead of a 9. I am down to less than 30 Brady RCs that I need, only collecting those # 50 and above, for my collection with 6 or 7 of them pop zero in PSA 9 currently.

• bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One box of 2000 Omega football purchased off ebay for $58. Still looking for a Brady/Redman and Brady/Bledsoe in PSA 9 for my Brady RC collection. Pulled a PSA 10 on the last Brady/Redman I had subbed for me. I am probably the only collector around that is upset when they get a 10 instead of a 9. I am down to less than 30 Brady RCs that I need, only collecting those # 50 and above, for my collection with 6 or 7 of them pop zero in PSA 9 currently.

image >>

Yeah, I'm confused -- why do you want a 9 instead of a 10?
    bziddy,
    I only collect PSA 9 cards. I sell any PSA 10s but honestly don't need the $$ so would rather just have the 9 I was hoping for when the card was sent in. Most of the remaining Brady RCs I need are pretty rare so not very often that a suitable raw or BGS 9 or 9.5 comes up for sale at a reasonable price.

Robb
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gretsky is a beauty Robb.

I've enjoyed your thread.

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    Best thread ever! Thanks Robb for all the enjoyment.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Robb. This thread belongs in the HOF for PSA message board
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    Some catch up posts.

One 1975 Topps Mini wax pack purchased from BBCE for $85. The Aaron has surface PD, rest of the cards were either OC or had corner wear.

One 1985 Topps Hockey wax pack purchased from BBCE for $40. No big names, have 13 or 14 of these packs remaining.

One 1972 Topps basketball pack purchased from Fritsch for $155. Fun pack to open the Oscar Robertson looks like a 9, might also sub the Wohl.

Edited to add grades:
    Sent a couple cards in on a friend's submission

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 Topps 25 Oscar Robertson
    MINT 9 1972 Topps 99 Dave Wohl
    Two packs of 1981 Topps football received from BBCE. Ordered 2 rack packs but got two wax packs instead, will square up with them on my next order. Packs were nearly identical, too bad they couldn't have been Montana packs.

Edited to add grades:
    Sent the Greene's in on a friend's submission

NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1981 Topps 495 Joe Greene
    GEM MINT 10 1981 Topps 495 Joe Greene
    Three 1986 Topps football rack packs purchased from BBCE for $42 per rack. Not much HOF RC star power but fun rip overall.

Opened (1) 2000 Playoff Contenders fb pack purchased from BBCE for $36 and no autos.

Opened (1) 1993 SP pack purchased from BBCE for $25.25 and no Jeter.

Opened (1) 1975 T mini wax pack purchased from BBCE for $75 and every card was OC with no stars.

Opened (2) 2012 Topps Chrome football packs purchased from BBCE for $8 per pack and no auto.

Opened (1) 1981 Topps football wax pack in 1979 wrappers purchased from BBCE for $25 no Montana or other HOF RCs.

Opened (1) 1981 Topps football cello pack purchased from BBCE for $46 and pulled a Montana, sadly it looks like it is missing 30% of the ink that was supposed to be on the card (not a poor scan that is what the card actually looks like). Not gradable, will keep it for my PC, but still a thrill to pull.

A box of 2012 Panini Contenders football purchased from my LCS (a while back) for $229.95. Pulled one a 1st round pick QB only he turned out to be a complete bust.

One hobby box of 2006 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects purchased on ebay for $78.95. Did not pull a Kershaw but the Longoria auto is #/225.

Four packs of 1975 Topps Mini wax purchased from a CU member (BBCE authenticated) for $80 per pack. Unfortunately there were only 2-3 centered cards per pack. Five of them will be headed to PSA via a friend at some point in 2015 but the star cards were all OC.

• A very solid hit with the Longoria auto! I'm tempted to get a case but the odds are against you from the start with the non Chrome autos counting as the box hit
    Two packs of 1975 Topps Mini wax purchased as part of the MiniDuff group break for $85 per pack. The Munson, Brett & Carlton were all in the 2nd pack opened. Overall centering was poor in both packs but the corners are pretty sharp for most cards pulled.

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    That Longoria Xfractor auto is a great pull. Oscar and Montana too!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Bought some random packs from BBCE for their Black Friday special. Included was one pack of 1993 SP baseball for $70 (before the 10% off) and pulled a very nice Jeter. Will have a friend sub it for me but could get a 9 if it doesn't pull the Min Size nonsense PSA likes to give for these cards.

Wow Robb ... thanks again for sharing. Let us know how that Jeter grades.

So what else are we going to have the privilege of watching you open??

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity why does your friend sub them for you? You seem to open fresh wax often and would hence sub often so should have a membership. Is he one of those dead ringers who lands 9s into 10s? Thanks for insight.

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Out of curiosity why does your friend sub them for you? You seem to open fresh wax often and would hence sub often so should have a membership. Is he one of those dead ringers who lands 9s into 10s? Thanks for insight.

If his friend has hundreds of subs a month, then makes complete sense.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.

PSA and I had a disagreement as to who was responsible for damaging a card I submitted so I decided to stop submitting directly to them. When I pull something good I just have my friend sub it for me. He doesn't get better or worse grades than anyone else but he does provide pretty solid pre-grading.

As for future rips I have plenty of fun stuff. I don't open nearly as much as I used to but will try to post the highlights here.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 5:06PM

Fergie,

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time and read my way all the way through. Wow that's a lot of wax ripped. To cool

Not sure if you keep everything that you rip but if you stumble across any high grade '85 Topps Hockey commons and don't have a plan for them let me know. I'm building a high grade PSA set so PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Kevin

Kevin

@fergie23 said:
    PSA and I had a disagreement as to who was responsible for damaging a card I submitted so I decided to stop submitting directly to them.

Wasn't that a card of a current NFL QB?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Congrats

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

What an upgrade!

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

nice pull for I am thinking $250??

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Well done!!!! Gorgeous with new light house label too

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Ka-blam!

• JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened to the 93 SP Jeter that was being sent in?

-Collecting anything vintage

The Jeter received a PSA 8 twice. The top right corner has a tiny tick of whiteness that will keep it out of a PSA 9 holder I think.

Robb

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful Jordan rc and with their new label on top of that. Congrats.

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭

Nice upgrade!

That's the only non-football card I would like to own someday, but not necessarily in a 10! :)

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yahtzee!!!! Way to go, Robb.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 4:47PM

Damn, Robb that's awesome. I'm stoked for you. One of the nicest guys on the boards. He has helped me out a few times on sets I was working on with some of his leftovers. You need to start ripping like you used to..these boards are getting boring these days.

-Brian

• MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Nice BUMP on the MJ!!!!!! That is HUGE!!!!

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Way to go. My pack pull bumped from an 8 to a 9 a few years ago. Kudos to you.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 8:11PM

Fergie, Fergie, Fergie, you have always been a ghost that haunted me. This card has haunted me for almost five years now.

That exact day BBCE had 20 packs with one MJ I painfully learned later. You bought four packs and took them to your hotel room is what they told me. So 16 remained. Mike(RIP) and myself bought a pair of packs at a time until all 16 were gone. I will never forget how empty I felt after blasting through 16 packs at that price to come up empty.

The next day Reed told me you pulled it in your four packs. I can remember when you got it graded and it was a 9. It was a half happy and half sick feeling.

So that exact card is pretty cool even to the runner up.

Congrats, Fergie!

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

I have never had the opportunity to go through this thread before tonight. Never in my life would I ever think that I would get bored at seeing Michael Jordan rookies get pulled from packs! I saw so many get pulled in this thread that I started skipping forward. I should point out that this comes from someone who's #1 goal in the hobby we all share is to own/open an 86 fleer basketball pack.

Thanks for being so generous as to share these rips Fergie. I feel like I just lived vicariously through nearly 10 years of your pack ripping life!

Robb, what are your top 5 or 10 best pack pulls?

What is your holy grail?

What was your best unopened find/deal?

Best pack pulls...
    1) The Jordan RC PSA 10 has to top the list at this point.
    2) A single pack of 86 Fleer bsk in the early 2000s and pulled a PSA 10 Jabbar, PSA 10 checklist, PSA 10 Worthy and PSA 10 Woolridge. Sold them for a crazy amount back in the day (the checklist went for like 4k).
    3) Three PSA 9 Bird/Magic rookies
    4) A PSA 8.5 Cabrera 2000 Topps Traded auto RC
    5) Two PSA 8 Gretzky Topps RCs

Holy grail...
    79 OPC Gretzky. Haven't pulled one since I got back into collecting. A while back was considering buying a 79 OPC box from BBCE and ripping it (when they were in the 10k-12k range) but just couldn't justify spending that much for a card that sold for 3-4k in PSA 9.

Best unopened find/deal...
    Bought an 86 Fleer pack at the Chantilly card show that had a Jordan sticker on back and Jordan RC on top. Couldn't tell it was a Jordan on top or I would never have opened it.
    In 2006 won 36 loose 1980 Topps basketball packs for $522 from a lady selling on eBay and pulled 4 Bird/Magic RCs, one of which graded out a PSA 9.
    Bought a handful of 71 Topps baseball packs, unknown series, and they all turned out to be series 1. Really wish I had kept those unopened as 71 Topps baseball packs are worth a fortune these days.

As far as more ripping is concerned prices have gotten too crazy on the older stuff and modern is chasing auto inserts which isn't as much fun to me. A 1980 Topps bsk box used to be 1k and now they sell for ~5k for example. I do buy some random older packs but just not the same. I buy some modern but scanning a couple worthless autos or numbered inserts feels more like work than fun. That said my ROI from my rips took a huge leap forward with the Jordan PSA 10.

Robb

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Well done!!!! Gorgeous with new light house label too

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Best pack pulls...
    1) The Jordan RC PSA 10 has to top the list at this point.
    2) A single pack of 86 Fleer bsk in the early 2000s and pulled a PSA 10 Jabbar, PSA 10 checklist, PSA 10 Worthy and PSA 10 Woolridge. Sold them for a crazy amount back in the day (the checklist went for like 4k).
    3) Three PSA 9 Bird/Magic rookies
    4) A PSA 8.5 Cabrera 2000 Topps Traded auto RC
    5) Two PSA 8 Gretzky Topps RCs

Holy grail...
    79 OPC Gretzky. Haven't pulled one since I got back into collecting. A while back was considering buying a 79 OPC box from BBCE and ripping it (when they were in the 10k-12k range) but just couldn't justify spending that much for a card that sold for 3-4k in PSA 9.

Best unopened find/deal...
    Bought an 86 Fleer pack at the Chantilly card show that had a Jordan sticker on back and Jordan RC on top. Couldn't tell it was a Jordan on top or I would never have opened it.
    In 2006 won 36 loose 1980 Topps basketball packs for $522 from a lady selling on eBay and pulled 4 Bird/Magic RCs, one of which graded out a PSA 9.
    Bought a handful of 71 Topps baseball packs, unknown series, and they all turned out to be series 1. Really wish I had kept those unopened as 71 Topps baseball packs are worth a fortune these days.

As far as more ripping is concerned prices have gotten too crazy on the older stuff and modern is chasing auto inserts which isn't as much fun to me. A 1980 Topps bsk box used to be 1k and now they sell for ~5k for example. I do buy some random older packs but just not the same. I buy some modern but scanning a couple worthless autos or numbered inserts feels more like work than fun. That said my ROI from my rips took a huge leap forward with the Jordan PSA 10.

Robb

Love it, thanks for sharing.

Does PSA ever grade at the Chantilly show?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Thanks for the response Robb.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Incredible move, you sir, WIN!
    Checkmate!
    How is Mr CDs?