Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• Options
    I feel like I owe you something for the admissoin to this epic thread...

great stuff, I think I will spend my weekend going thru his thread in its entirety...

peace from Africa

Craig
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Fergie.. sorry that happened to you that is brutal
  • Options
    Yeah that's stinks bad. Hope you make it up on your next purchase or rip.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    So found the auction

Brady SGC 9 auction

Here are the pics

Will probably send an email to PSA about it and see what happens. Guess it can't hurt.

Robb
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great thread, I would love to see some more basketball rips Fergie!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    They may suggest you damaged it while cracking it out. It's a really sucky situation... sorry man.
  • Options
    On the plus side if they reject my claims it means I will be buying less PSA slabbed cards and spending more on unopened.
    I sent an email to PSA this morning and will post once things are resolved one way or the other.
    Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Dang Robb I am sorry to see this happen to you. Like everyone else I really enjoy your threads.

Kind of makes ya shake your head at what happen at PSA with the Brady. So did the grader drop and damage the card, think to themselve "oh shiat" and then proceed to just say EOT and send it back ASAP?

Kind of wish they had video of the graders handling cards so there is evidence if they ever damage something. I wonder how often PSA or other grading companies in cards, coins or comics damage a sub?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Robb ... that really stinks. I wish you all the best with your claim with PSA. If you do a lot of business with them I would think they would work with you on this. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    The whole situation seems unfortunate.

My concern is that even if PSA reimburses you, will they only reimburse you the value of a trimmed card?

Did you consider the crossover service or did you feel the card wouldn't receive an objective review?

Thank you for taking the time to share your collection with us.
  • Options
    PSA determined that the card couldn't have been damaged during the grading process.

This was actually the 2nd time I sent the card to PSA, it received EOT the first time as well. While the damage certainly looks like the head of a screwdriver banging into the card during the crack out process there is no chance that I missed the damage while reviewing the raw card with both the original sub and the re-sub. I find he-said/she-said discussions distasteful so am going to drop it at this point. I regret contacting PSA because I am now more upset about the issue and to be honest a $500 mistake isn't worth it to me.

It will be a cold day in hell before I send another card to PSA. I will be selling off my mostly completed self-submitted 86 Fleer set, no point in keeping it if I don't plan to sub any more cards image I don't sub very many cards anyways so not a huge loss for PSA. If I pull any grade worthy cards my consignor can choose to sub them rather than sell them raw.

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    You moving to BGS or just going to stop grading? I hope you're not going to stop ripping!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I no longer plan to personally submit cards for grading. At some point I will probably sell off most of the no-name PSA 9 HOFers from my PC. I will always maintain some sort of collection but it is likely to shrink in the future.
    I have some unopened from BBCE from the recent forum rip. Will post scans shortly.
    Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, Robb. Always enjoy your pack rips and you've been super kind to me in the past. If you enjoy the hobby, don't let one bad decision spoil your fun.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    WOW, Sorry this happen to you. This isn't the first time this has happened to someone where PSA has damaged a high $ card. As a rule of thumb just from reading these forums. I always scan 12-24 hrs prior to submitting just in case something like this happens. If I were you I would be very upset. I don't blame you for never subbing to PSA again. I would have the exact same stance as you do. I really have enjoyed this thread since 2009. Was fun watching you pull all those Jordan rcs. Maybe you can have some comfort knowing PSA looses $ with their poor quality control on the hundreds of mechanical errors they put out.

Reading this has seriously made me think twice about renewing my membership when it runs out...
  • Options
    Robb,

Even though you might not sub many cards yourself, your rips excite everyone else to rip. The business they lose will be rather large I would say.

Your rips are the best thing on this Board and things like that keep people coming back and keeps them interested.

Your generosity(sales or gifts) to board members have probably been felt by others besides myself. Hopefully we don't lose you in the future!

Mike
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    The Brady card is just unfortunate. If someone showed me that scan I would say that is a bummer that you banged it with your screwdriver when cracking it out. However there is no chance that I inspected the card after cracking it, put it in a card saver II, sent it off to PSA, got the card back as an EOT, inspected it to see why they thought it was trimmed, measured it with another 2000 Playoff Contenders signed rookie I pulled from a rip, transferred it to another card saver II, sent it off to PSA, got the card back as an EOT for a second time and all of a sudden noticed a gauge in the back of the card.

After PSA ripped an 80/81 Bird/Magic RC I sent a few years back I started scanning my high dollar cards but got complacent after so many uneventful subs.

Two 1984 Topps football cellos purchased from BBCE as part of the group rip, $19.60 per cello. A couple of HOF RCs.

• Options
    Two 1981 Topps football packs from BBCE as part of the group rip, $11.00 per pack. Sadly no star power.

• Options
    Two packs of 1986 Topps football purchased from BBCE as part of the group rip, $11.00 per pack. Sadly no rookies.

• Options
    Five packs of 1977 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE for $17 per pack. Still no Dantley PSA 9. I can't even begin to imagine how many $$s I've spent on 77 basketball packs searching for a PSA 9 Dantley.

Actually reviewing my records since 2006 I have purchased 75 1977 Topps basketball packs at ~$17 per pack meaning I have spent ~$1275 chasing a $50 card. Of course I have seen one PSA 9 Dantley rookie on eBay since 2008 and it was a $50 BIN that got executed before I saw the card. I think I can safely say these are my last 1977 Topps basketball packs image

• Options
    Two packs 1984 Topps football packs purchased from BBCE as part of the group rip, $11.00 per pack. No star power unfortunately.

Will rip the 78 OPC wax box at some point this week.

Cheers,

Robb

• Options
    Purchased on eBay for $1425. After the debacle with my cracked-n-subbed-n-damaged SGC Brady contenders finally found a PSA 9 Contenders Brady at auction on eBay. Very happy with the card, still looking for a PSA 9 1998 Manning Playoff Contenders auto.

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I like Tom Brady. I think he's dreamy
  • Options
    Shout out to CU forum member seablaster for hooking me up with this 1977 Dantley PSA 9. After busting over two boxes worth of 1977 Topps basketball packs I finally have a PSA 9 Dantley. Am currently saving the unopened I've been purchasing for a larger rip some time in early 2012.

• Options
    Robb, how was the 78 OPC Box?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    Robb --

Congrats on the Dantley -- I know you've been looking for that one for a while.

I had the pleasure of seeing AD play several games when he was in high school (at DeMatha). He was so big and physical that the gym floor actually shook when he ran the floor -- I'll never forget it. I still have the program / team photo that he signed for me (I was eight years old).

Scott
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Dantley! I've been trying to spot one for you too.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Does that Dantley have a slight diamond cut??
  • Options
    Two packs of 1975 Topps mini purchased from BBCE for $36 per pack. Only two card that would be 8-9 candidates all others were OC or had dinged corners.

• Options
    Two packs of 1979 Topps football purchased from BCCE for $19.76. Pulled the Campbell RC but it is a little OC.

• Options
    Three packs of 1984-85 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $15 per pack. Looking for a well centered Doug Gilmour RC in PSA 9.

• Options
    One pack of 1975 Topps baseball purchased from BBCE for $76.50. No stars and only one decently centered card.

• Options
    One pack of 1979 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $275. No Gretzky, the quest continues.

• Options
    One box of 2000 Bowman football purchased from BBCE for $60. The Brady looks like an easy 9 and the Urlacher auto was a nice hit as well.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Glad this thread is back! Keep ripping!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    The last time I personally submitted cards to PSA was when I contacted Joe about the inconsistencies in grading stickers. He said to send the package to him and he'd have his top grader look at the cards (several 1981 Gretzky stickers). Well, I got butchered on the sub (should have been 2-3 PSA 10sIMO...I mean, they were perfect) and the one I knew for certain would be a 10 came back folded in half. Obviously, someone was pissed off at me and I didn't even bother making an issue of it...just let my platinum subscription run out and sold off the PSA set I was working on.

Not meaning to derail your thread, just posting my experience.

Great rips!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad this thread is back! Keep ripping! >>

This
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Well, I got butchered on the sub (should have been 2-3 PSA 10sIMO...I mean, they were perfect) and the one I knew for certain would be a 10 came back folded in half. Obviously, someone was pissed off at me and I didn't even bother making an issue of it...just let my platinum subscription run out and sold off the PSA set I was working on. >>

W

T

F

Also, I heart this thread.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Three packs of 1983 OPC hockey received as a Christmas gift. No big hits but fun to open.

• Options
    One box of 2002 Playoff Contenders football purchased on eBay for $66.90. Looking for a PSA 9 Ed Reed signed rookie to add to my collection. The redemption would have been for a Brian Westbrook signed rookie.

• Options
    Two packs of 1977 Topps basketball received as a Christmas gift.

• Options
    One box of 2000 Collectors Edge Supreme purchased from BBCE for $49. Was hoping for a gradable Brady rookie but no such luck. The redemption card would have been for Daniel Franks.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I am certain your next 79 OPC pack will hold a gretzky!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    This is my favorite thread of all time! It is really good to see you still posting your pulls image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I just re-read this thread, and I have a total card on.
  • Options
    Box of 2005-06 Upper Deck hockey series II received for Christmas. No Ovechkin young guns rookie but still fun to open.

• Options
    A box of 2007 SP Auth baseball received for Christmas. The whole redemption thing makes opening product from the 2000s not nearly as appealing. Granted the Phil Hughes letter signatures redemption isn't an expensive card but who wants to pull a redemption card you can't get?

• Options
    A box of 1991 Topps Stadium Club football received for Christmas. Pulled a Favre but the bottom right corner is a little mangled.

• Options
    Two packs of 1975 Topps minis purchased from a CU group rip for $80. The Stanley has significant PD. The packs were very nice with good centering and corners, I should have bought more.

• Options
    One box of 2011 Leaf Rookies & Stars purchased from my local card shop for $80. Pulled a auto QB rookie but unfortunately not Cam Newton. Hopefully Gabbert was just going through growing pains this year as he learned to transition to the NFL.