Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    One box of 2010 Topps Chrome football received as a Christmas gift.

• Options
    One box of 2010 Panini Certified football received as a Christmas gift.

• Options
    Two packs of 1977 Topps basketball received as a Christmas gift. Still no Dantley.

• Options
    Two packs of 1977 Topps football received as a Christmas gift.

• Options
    One pack of 1980 OPC hockey received as a Christmas gift. Still need a PSA 9 Goulet, pulled one but too OC for grading.

• Options
    One pack of 1986 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $333. Nothing from this pack will be submitted to PSA.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One box of 2010 Topps Chrome football purchased from my local card shop for $60. Was hoping for a good auto RC but pulled the Manning auto numbered 01/10. Also got a Bowman Chrome and a Topps Chrome Sam Bradford (not exactly sure why they had Bowman Chrome cards in the Topps Chrome box but it is all good).

image >>

Sharp looking Manning. Any chance it is for sale?
  • Options
    Picked this up off eBay this week. Part of my Future Baseball HOF RCs collection. Also have some unopened from BBCE that I will be ripping this weekend including a 1971 Topps baseball pack, 1979 OPC hockey pack and 1985 Topps football box.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for a 2011 Unopened Rips/ Fergie23 sighting! imageimage
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>Picked this up off eBay this week. Part of my Future Baseball HOF RCs collection. Also have some unopened from BBCE that I will be ripping this weekend including a 1971 Topps baseball pack, 1979 OPC hockey pack and 1985 Topps football box.

image >>

Thats the sex right there!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Added this card to my 1970 and up HOF Football RC PSA 9 collection. Case edges look a little frosted but the card is definitely mint. Might get it reholdered at the next National I go to.

I actually have a ton of unopened waiting for some free time. Will bust some this weekend.

4 boxes 2011 Topps Heritage
    2 1980 Topps Baseball packs
    1 1976 Topps Basketball pack
    1 1980 Topps Basketball box
    1 1971 Topps Baseball pack
    2 1994 Leaf Limited Baseball boxes
    1 1985 Topps Football box
    1 1979 OPC hockey pack
    7 1977 Topps Basketball packs
    2 1986/87 Fleer basketball packs
    4 1975 OPC Baseball packs

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    Two top rookie cards. I like that Pujols!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    What a gorgeous Bradshaw card. Congrats on the pickups!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Robb ... VERY NICE BRADSHAW! Congrats.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree - superb in every way!
    Mike
  • Options
    One box of 1980 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE for $1125. 1980 Topps basketball is probably my favorite box to open. This one didn't disappoint with 7 Bird and/or Magic rookies along with 7 Bird or Magic team leader and all star cards. One of the Bird/Magic rookies (card on the right) will be headed to PSA at some point should pull a PSA 8.

Edited to add grades:
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1980 TOPPS SCORING LEADER BIRD,ERVING,JOHNSON
    Date Received:5/2/2011

• Options
    Seven packs of 1977 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE for $17 per pack. I am still looking for the Dantley in PSA 9. Pulled the Dantley and one of the Parish rookies in the same pack. Sadly corners are too beat up to be worth sending in. The Parish on the bottom has a surface bubble or it would have a pretty good shot at a 9.

• Options
    One box of 2011 Heritage purchased for $87 at the Chantilly show. Nothing interesting in the box.

• Options
    Four packs of 1975 OPC baseball purchased from BBCE as part of the CU forum group rip. Nothing spectacular in my packs but cards were in pretty good shape overall. Will send the 61 MVP card to PSA at some point.

Edited to add grades:
    MINT 9 1975 O-PEE-CHEE 199 1961-MVP'S R.MARIS/F.ROBINSON
    Date Received:5/2/2011
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice bradshaw. The font doesn't look right on the label. I hope it gets reholdered without issue.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice bradshaw. The font doesn't look right on the label. I hope it gets reholdered without issue. >>

Really hope I'm wrong, but the font looks off on that Bradshaw to me too.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    PSA is really all over the place when it comes to fonts. However the cert number is definitely the smallest font I've seen on a PSA card.
    I will email PSA and see if they can help me based on the scan or see if I need to send it in for Express service to validate the card. If it is fake then they put in a card that passes the visual test for a 9.
    Would be pretty annoying to spend $3700 on a card and find out it is fake.
    Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    The Bradshaw looks fine. Dave
  • Options
    I contacted PSA and Joe Orlando and this was his reply.

"This does not appear to be a PSA-graded card."

He also offered an in-person review and some tips for checking the integrity of the case and seal.

I have contacted the seller. I offered to overnight it to PSA for an in-person review at my expense. We will see what happens.

Thanks to Mr. Orlando for responding so quickly, on a weekend even, to my query.
    Cheers,

Robb

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Robb. When this is all sorted I'd love to hear who the seller was and how they handled the resolution.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice bradshaw. The font doesn't look right on the label. I hope it gets reholdered without issue. >>

Good eye, that is why it is great to post scans of cards on is website.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I contacted PSA and Joe Orlando and this was his reply.

"This does not appear to be a PSA-graded card."

He also offered an in-person review and some tips for checking the integrity of the case and seal.

I have contacted the seller. I offered to overnight it to PSA for an in-person review at my expense. We will see what happens.

Thanks to Mr. Orlando for responding so quickly, on a weekend even, to my query.
    Cheers,

Robb >>

I hope that since this was from an eBay auction that ended on the 14th you are protected via Paypal and or your Credit Card from this fraud.

Why is it that username looks really familar for selling some prior fakes on the bay.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    This is very worrisome to me. I dont look at that card, and automatically come to the conclusion its fake. I dont even see any inconsistencies with the flip that would make me question whether this card is not 100% real. I really wish PSA would step up as the market leader within the grading industry and do something about all the fraud occuring in the hobby. A good first start would be to redesign or bolster up the holder they use. If they would do that, I would be the very first person in line to pay to have every one of my cards reholdered.
  • Options
    Robb,
    While you're waiting on the bradshaw, don't you have more wax to bust? image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>This is very worrisome to me. I dont look at that card, and automatically come to the conclusion its fake. I dont even see any inconsistencies with the flip that would make me question whether this card is not 100% real. I really wish PSA would step up as the market leader within the grading industry and do something about all the fraud occuring in the hobby. A good first start would be to redesign or bolster up the holder they use. If they would do that, I would be the very first person in line to pay to have every one of my cards reholdered. >>

I agree 100% and they should come with another holder. Without changing they allow the scammers to beat the system.
  • Options
    Seller has agreed to issue a refund. Says he is selling the item on consignment. I will update the thread once I have my refund.

I do have more wax to rip. Will put up some scans today.
    Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    One box of 1985 Topps football purchased from BBCE for $175. Didn't find any submittable stars, most were OC top to bottom. Still a fun box to open.

• Options
    One box of 2011 Heritage purchased for $87 at the Chantilly show. Hoping for an auto at some point. I feel like it has been quite a while since I pulled a heritage auto.

• Options
    One pack of 1979 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $275. Sadly the quest for an OPC Gretzky RC continues.

• Options
    One pack of 1986/87 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $315. I may sub the Perkins and T. Cummings.

• Options
    Yeah, this thread is not to addicting!
  • Options
    Received a full refund on the 1971 Bradshaw card. Kind of a bummer because it was the last card I needed for my 1970 & up Football HOF RC collection in PSA 9. Will have to just wait for the next one to show up.

After getting the refund I bought 3 packs of 1986/87 Fleer basketball, 5 packs of 1977 Topps basketball and 1 box of 1991 Stadium Club football from BBCE. All are waiting to be opened along with some other packs/boxes I purchased in the last few weeks/months.

Robb
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Robb,

Glad to hear that you were able to get your money back on the Bradshaw. Sucks to add one back to the "need" list.

Cant wait to see some more rips!

Good Luck,
    Eric
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Did you have to send the card back to the seller, or forward to PSA for further evaluation? Just curious...

Rodney

<< <i>Received a full refund on the 1971 Bradshaw card. Kind of a bummer because it was the last card I needed for my 1970 & up Football HOF RC collection in PSA 9. Will have to just wait for the next one to show up.

After getting the refund I bought 3 packs of 1986/87 Fleer basketball, 5 packs of 1977 Topps basketball and 1 box of 1991 Stadium Club football from BBCE. All are waiting to be opened along with some other packs/boxes I purchased in the last few weeks/months.

Robb >>

• Options
    A little bittersweet on the bradshaw. image

What do you do with all your 86 fleer bkb that you do not submit?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Did you have to send the card back to the seller, or forward to PSA for further evaluation? Just curious...

I offered the seller the option of my paying for one day service with PSA to validate the card and the seller indicated I should just return the card. After the seller received the card I told them I would pay $4k for the card if they got it re-holdered by PSA. They never responded though at this point they probably want nothing to do with me as a buyer any longer.

Since the seller asked for the card to be returned I did not feel I should take the gamble of sending the card to PSA for validation. I have no idea what PSA does to unauthentic slabs, my guess is you get just the card back or you get the card in a PSA slab with its true grade. I was not willing to get into a situation where I received a slabbed card but then returned an un-slabbed card, or card slabbed with a lower grade. While I probably win out on a Paypal SNAD claim I felt it could potentially get ugly. I believe most sellers would cry bloody murder if they sold someone a card they believed was graded by PSA and accurately graded at that. And on return received a card that was graded differently or had been cracked from its case. There is simply too much room for shenanigans especially if the seller is willing to accept a return as is.

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options

<< <i>One pack of 1979 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $275. Sadly the quest for an OPC Gretzky RC continues.

>>

Just go ahead and buy a full unsearched box instead of buying packs. Many Gretzky packs have been slabbed after
    the Gretzky has already been pulled from the box (usually 1 per box).

If you can find a seller who can 100% tell you that his box has not been put together by buying other packs to fill his
    box after he found the Gretzky, then that may be your best bet.

Gretzky is "the only" card from that year, and once it is found, the other packs are sold off. Sorry, but this is just
    the plain truth unless you can find an honest seller.
  • Options
    Two boxes of 1994 Leaf Limited Rookies purchased for $80 per box from a board member. Sadly no ARod RC.

• Options
    One box of 2011 Heritage purchased for $87 at the Chantilly show.

• Options
    One rack pack of 1986 football purchased from BBCE for $27. Nothing of note in the pack.

• Options
    One pack of 1976 Topps basketball purchased at the Chantilly show for $37.

• Options
    One box of 2011 Heritage purchased for $87 at the Chantilly show. The Buchholz has a crease through the card. Pulled 3 stamps in 4 boxes but no autos sadly.

• Options
    e64mtde64mtd Posts: 104

edmundfitzgerald
    Expert Collector

Sunday April 03, 2011 2:04 PM (NEW!)

<<Just go ahead and buy a full unsearched box instead of buying packs. Many Gretzky packs have been slabbed after
    the Gretzky has already been pulled from the box (usually 1 per box).

If you can find a seller who can 100% tell you that his box has not been put together by buying other packs to fill his
    box after he found the Gretzky, then that may be your best bet.

Gretzky is "the only" card from that year, and once it is found, the other packs are sold off. Sorry, but this is just
    the plain truth unless you can find an honest seller.>>

I also feel the chances of finding one from a single pack, graded or not, must be slim to none. The price of an OPC box is just too cost prohibitive to justify a purchase as getting a clean, unsearched box for less than 10 grand is highly unlikely. The chances of then pulling the single Gretzky from the box in a PSA 9 is extremely low and it's probably best to buy a graded one of your choosing and be done with it. The sad thing is there's not much else in the box that would be considered a good hit. 1975-1979 OPC/Topps hockey, in general, doesn't have a lot of desirable cards in any of the sets.
  • Options
    One pack of 1986/87 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $315.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good Robb. I was re-reading this thread yesterday and I just wanted to say that that Messier you pulled last year was the nicest Mess I've ever seen. Thanks for the rip(s).
    Mike
    Bosox1976