Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• Options

<< <i>One pack of 1986/87 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $315.

image >>

that is a SWEET sticker! is that one going into PSA?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    It needs to!!! Awesome card, maybe a shot at a 10?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Read through the thread. That was some sick wax cracking! You shoulda charged admission for that kind of entertainment!!
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    After getting my refund for the Bradshaw I won this Dryden PSA 9 from PWCC in their March auction. Down to 11 cards needed for my Hockey HOF RC collection. Sights are set next on a PSA 9 OPC Gretzky RC.

• Options
    There is a Gretzky PSA 10 available at auctionimage DPeck just posted the link
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely centered Dryden!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    One pack of 1971 Topps baseball purchased from BBCE for $325. Nice pack, plan to sub the Rose, the Home Run Leaders, Kline and McCovey. The Maddox was the wax card and the Batting Leaders was the gum card. My scanner cut off the bottoms of the cards and probably should have scanned with white background.

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE
    Date Received:5/2/2011

Edited to add grades:
    MINT 9 1971 TOPPS 66 NL HOME RUN LEADERS BENCH/WILLIAMS/PEREZ
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 51 STEVE KLINE
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 50 WILLIE McCOVEY
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Sweet looking 71's!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't argue with the star power there.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a Gretzky PSA 10 available at auctionimage DPeck just posted the link >>

That card's been passed around for years like a joint and like one will eventually burn out.
  • Options
    An unopened pack of '71s- love it! Always wanted to do that.

Edited to add- too bad the Maddox was the wax card b/c it looks like an easy 9 from the scan.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got some nice cards!

Good luck on the sub.

Is the wax on the surface or is it a true stain as if the wax melted into the cardboard?
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Rose 9 would command some serious change! A very nice pack indeed! Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

<< <i>probably should have scanned with white background >>

I find with 71's that a different color other than white or black works best. A piece of construction paper or even a towel work fine.

BTW, great pack! image
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice 71 pack!!

Thanks for sharing, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Two boxes of 1991 Topps Stadium club football purchased from BBCE for $75 per box. Only hit the single Favre RC, will send it in as part of my renewal sub.

Edited to add grade:
    GEM MINT 10 1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FARVE
  • Options
    Ten packs of 1977 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE for $17 per pack. The Dantley will be subbed but looks like an 8. Still on the elusive quest for a PSA 9 Dantley rookie.

Edited to add grade:
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1977 TOPPS 56 ADRIAN DANTLEY
  • Options

<< <i>Ten packs of 1977 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE for $17 per pack. The Dantley will be subbed but looks like an 8. Still on the elusive quest for a PSA 9 Dantley rookie.

image >>

what is the PSA 9 pop on Dantley?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what is the PSA 9 pop on Dantley? >>

pop is 26 with 2 10s out there too
  • Options
    Sub just popped, pretty poor overall. Jordan went from Min Size on my last sub to Ev of Trimming. The Ovechkin and Griffin will be added to my PC.

MINT 9 1975 O-PEE-CHEE 199 1961-MVP'S R.MARIS/F.ROBINSONCardUS
    EXCELLENT 5 1981 O-PEE-CHEE 269 PETER STASTNY CardUS
    MINT 9 2005 SP AUTHENTIC 190 ALEXANDER OVECHKIN AUTOGRAPHCardUS
    N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN CardUS
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1980 TOPPS SCORING LEADER BIRD,ERVING,JOHNSONCardUS
    MINT 9 2009 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 101 BLAKE GRIFFIN AUTOGRAPHCardUS
    N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 2000 PLAYOFF PRESTIGE 286 TOM BRADY CardUS
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE CardUS
    MINT 9 1971 TOPPS 66 NL HOME RUN LEADERS BENCH/WILLIAMS/PEREZCardUS
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 51 STEVE KLINE CardUS
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 50 WILLIE McCOVEY CardUS
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1977 TOPPS 56 ADRIAN DANTLEY CardUS
    GEM MINT 10 1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FARVE CardUS

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Good job on that '71 #66
    VCP is $330

plus the psa 7 Rose, the Griffin, Ovechkin and the PSA 10 Favre, you got some real nice cards in there
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Nice job with the PSA 10 Farve.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    bummer on the Dantley.....i know you've been hot after that card.....very tough to find a high grade example it seems.
  • Options
    Nice cards!! All of my Griffin Auto's have come back PSA 9's as well. Tough to get in a 10.

Always love this thread!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Robb, Did you think the Dantley would come back that low of a grade or did you just want something to fill in the hole till you get the elusive 9?

I can feel your pain with the Jordan. I ripped a whole box of 1979 Topps hockey this year and the one Gretzky came back Minimum size. Makes the pain of opening a box that much more painful.

Good luck with your rips this year. We all are looking forward to them.

Mike
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    At least one of the 71's graded high. The centering on the McCovey probably held it back. What grade did you expect on the 71 Rose?

Thanks again for sharing, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    One pack of 1986 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $315. Will send in a couple of the cards for grading. The Jabbar sticker is well centered but one of the corners is a little mangled unfortunately.

• Options
    One 1960 Topps baseball pack purchased off eBay from the bbckid for $208.60.

• Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Centering on the Dobbek looks to be the only one worth grading....how is it?
  • Options
    Wow, a 1960 pack rip. THAT would be fun to do, no matter what cards are inside.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Love the 60 Topps. Glad to see Mark has some nice stuff available again. image

Robert
  • Options
    Two packs of 1981 Topps football, two packs of 1984 Topps football, two packs of 1986 Topps football and two packs of 1989 Score football from BBCE as part of the CU forum rip. A couple HOF RCs, the Sanders and Aikman were in the same pack. All look like 8s might sub the Sanders.

• Options
    Three packs of 1981 OPC hockey, two packs of 1982 OPC hockey, two packs of 1983 OPC hockey, three packs of 1984 OPC hockey and two packs of 1986 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE as part of CU Forum RIP. Packs were pretty much all duds from a HOF RC perspective though there were plenty of non-RC HOF stars in the packs. Centering was fairly poor, no cards worth grading.

• Options
    One pack of 1986 Fleer basketball purchased from BBCE for $315. Nice pack but cards are too OC to sub.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Do you come remotely close to breaking even on all this ripping - or is this a Brewsters Millions campaign?
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    If you are patient and don't expect the break even today, you can usually break even or make a little. But it is the law if large numbers rule of thumb.

Love this thread!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Right - but to be fair, he's easily spent over 30k in the last two years - but I haven't seen evidence of a GEM MINT Jordan or Gretzky - which is really the only way to slightly recoup. I suppose if you totally grind it out and get everything slabbed you can get back about 50% - but think he's (and by the way, I love this thread, I'm not knocking you, just discussing the econ of it) ripped about 30 Fleer 86's at at average cost of 325 - that puts you in at around 10k for those.

Anyway - I'd love to see the breakdown. It's more or less why I've gotten hooked on collecting unopened - the "thrill" value of buying the pack is worth way more than it's actual contents.

If I have 5 shoe boxes, and one of them contains 300 bucks - i can probably sell each box for 60 bucks each. But it's tough selling an empty opened box!

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    You don't break even in this game at all. You do it for the fun of it. This is why I hate buying packs to open in the longrun, I am the type who only likes to invest in stuff that I can one day turn a profit on.
  • Options
    That's why I again state, modern cards have money to be made. Follow the rookies, watch a bit of sportscenter and sports news, and follow the hot players. I can give you lots of examples of how to make money with modern cards. Then once you make money, buy your vintage for the long haul. Or a box of 1986 fleer.

So he has spent about 10k. How many Jordans total? How many superstars? How many PSA 9's? If you opened all, and sell all down to the last card, I think the numbers would surprise you. I know they would be way above 50 percent. The key is to break even and build your PC.

Timing is everything. When you see cards going for more money, it's already too late to make good money.

I can give you plenty of examples...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I find your conversation re: the profitability very interesting but Robb strikes me as a hobbyist more than anything. Don't get me wrong, no one likes throwing away good money but I think if he were broke and/or didn't enjoy the hobby for reasons beyond money, this thread wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Who cares? lol This is one of the best threads on the entire forum. I'm just thankful he shares all of this with us. Very cool. image
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure Robb does well enough to afford the enjoyment of opening these packs, and as someone who both collects unopened and opens unopened, I can completely relate to that. Some people like to drink $500 bottles of wine instead of house red, in the end it's all about what piques your palate.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    For every $1 in unopened I get $.20 - $.30 back, I could figure it out exactly since I have records for all sales and subs but that would be more trouble than it is worth. Fortunately I don't have to worry about trying to break even or make money. There is certainly money to be made in this hobby whether through modern, vintage, grading, non-sports, etc but I just don't care to try and do it. However busting older unopened is definitely not the way to go about making money. I bust boxes and packs that I find interesting without really considering resale value.

According to my records I've spent $58,156.90 on unopened since Jan 2009. This year I have been buying more graded cards for my PC than unopened thus the decrease in posting frequency.

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    There's a reason this is one of the best threads on this site: busting wax is fuuun!

Thanks again for sharing Robb.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    We all complain about how the hobby has plummeted the last 15 or so years compared to the boom of the 80's early 90's, but it's threads like this that all remind us of why we fell in love with the hobby in the first place. Back when we didn't care about centering, condition or a return on our investments. Robb is one of the truly pure collectors still out there and this is by far and away my favorite thread. Keep up the posts Robb and I can honestly say and I pull for you every time I see a new post by you on here.

Brian
  • Options
    Again, I love the thread, but the financial numbers are just mind-boggling. I'm assuming Robb is very rich to indulge (as one poster said) in 500 dollar glasses of wine. Even if I made 300k a year, I'd have a hard time justifying spending 60k (with, as Robb says, 20 cents back on every dollar) in 18 months on unopened cards - it seems a bit over the top. That said, keep ripping!

• Options
    So I have been looking for a PSA 9 2001 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady card for a while. Went ahead and bought a nice 9 graded by another company, cracked it and submitted it to PSA...

To add insult to injury somehow PSA also managed to damage the card while determining it was EOT.

The edge damage definitely wasn't there when I cracked the card but sadly I didn't bother to take "before I sent the card to PSA" scans...

Gotta say not particularly pleased with PSA at the moment as they have taken a $1000+ card and basically halved its value. Since I don't have any proof there is not much I can do about it nor would I expect PSA to do anything but doubtful that I will be submitting cards to PSA any time soon.

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    I would complain and see what they say, I hear stories about good customer service, but I would be beyond angry with that and probably bust a fuse...
  • Options
    As a rule I don't get into my word versus their word types of situations. The money doesn't really matter, though it is pretty annoying, I honestly just want a PSA 9 Brady RC for my PC.
    For these types of situations I simply stop using the offered service.

Robb
  • Options
    If you do a lot of business with PSA, I would definitely contact them about the damage.