Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Rips - Jordan RC review bump

Comments

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Took a gamble and purchased a 1969 Topps Basketball wax pack GAI 9 graded off ebay for $520. Got the pack and removed it from the GAI holder and it didn't look right. Opened the pack and unfortunately the top card Jim Washington had a gum stain on the back even though it was the face up wax card. Needless to say the pack contained 10 commons with varying levels of wear. The exact order of the cards out of the pack was 17, 21, 39, 52, 58, 63, 64, 66, 68, 69. First pack I can ever remember that was pre-sorted for me image I don't know much about 69 Topps basketball so I guess it is possible that legit packs come sorted but seems unlikely. Moral of the story is as always, don't buy unopened off eBay and don't trust GAI graded packs.

Gonna hold off on buying unopened for a bit and focus on my PSA 9 HOF RC personal collection. I did pick up a PSA 9 1974 OPC Borje Salming HOF RC (1 of 3) off ebay last week and have my eyes on one or two PSA 9 HOF RCs on ebay at the moment. If anyone has a nicely centered 1979 OPC Gretzky or 1971 Topps Bradshaw in PSA 9 they are looking to sell let me know.

Cheers,

Robb
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    Robb --

Sorry about the '69s . . .

It's a great shame that some knucklehead puts these packs together -- then has a TPG validate his fraud.

It makes me angry and I'm not out a nickel -- I can't imagine how you feel.

At any rate, like many other members here, I really enjoy your rips and following this thread.

Best of luck with future rips!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Took a gamble and purchased a 1969 Topps Basketball wax pack GAI 9 graded off ebay for $520. Got the pack and removed it from the GAI holder and it didn't look right. Opened the pack and unfortunately the top card Jim Washington had a gum stain on the back even though it was the face up wax card. Needless to say the pack contained 10 commons with varying levels of wear. The exact order of the cards out of the pack was 17, 21, 39, 52, 58, 63, 64, 66, 68, 69. First pack I can ever remember that was pre-sorted for me image I don't know much about 69 Topps basketball so I guess it is possible that legit packs come sorted but seems unlikely. Moral of the story is as always, don't buy unopened off eBay and don't trust GAI graded packs.

Gonna hold off on buying unopened for a bit and focus on my PSA 9 HOF RC personal collection. I did pick up a PSA 9 1974 OPC Borje Salming HOF RC (1 of 3) off ebay last week and have my eyes on one or two PSA 9 HOF RCs on ebay at the moment. If anyone has a nicely centered 1979 OPC Gretzky or 1971 Topps Bradshaw in PSA 9 they are looking to sell let me know.

Cheers,

Robb >>

Was it in an old GAI holder or the new one?
  • Options
    Was it in an old GAI holder or the new one?

Newer one. Cert number was 10330597. The picture wasn't good of the label in the auction. I should have asked for the cert number. BBCE will be getting even more of my business going forward.

Robb
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Too bad about the bum pack Robb. Keep on ripping, I enjoy them very much!

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    ouch! sorry about your luck. I had a similar experience with a 72 football pack.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Newer one. Cert number was 10330597. The picture wasn't good of the label in the auction. I should have asked for the cert number. BBCE will be getting even more of my business going forward. >>

fergie23, thanks for sharing, sorry about that pack also. It's just another strike with the new GAI flips. Hope karma goes your way and you pull that elusive OPC Gretzky Gem.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    That's sucks Robb. Please don't let it discourage you. This is by far my favorite thread.

Brian
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    robb, saw the auction listing and accompanying scans of the pack; theyre certainly small pics that were taken from a distance and therefore its hard to see the flip clearly in either pic (especially the way the light is hitting it), but unless i'm mistaken, the gai flip looks like the first generation all silver one; its certainly not the last generation one thats white with black on the sides, nor does it look like the tweener one either. maybe the lighting was poor when the seller took the pics, but that flip looks solid silver to me. can u please re-check the flip and possibly scan it for us so we can know for sure???

Link
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Robb, fun thread. Any idea how much you've spent on unopened packs/boxes during the entirety of this thread?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Dude you've got balls
    there's no way I'd open a $520 graded pack

sorry you were screwed on this
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Robb ... SUCKS that you got ripped off on that pack. HOPEFULLY your future rips will be legit. GOOD LUCK.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>robb, saw the auction listing and accompanying scans of the pack; theyre certainly small pics that were taken from a distance and therefore its hard to see the flip clearly in either pic (especially the way the light is hitting it), but unless i'm mistaken, the gai flip looks like the first generation all silver one; its certainly not the last generation one thats white with black on the sides, nor does it look like the tweener one either. maybe the lighting was poor when the seller took the pics, but that flip looks solid silver to me. can u please re-check the flip and possibly scan it for us so we can know for sure??? >>

Looks photo shop distorted, the seller intentionally hid that fact. Time to block the seller
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robb, saw the auction listing and accompanying scans of the pack; theyre certainly small pics that were taken from a distance and therefore its hard to see the flip clearly in either pic (especially the way the light is hitting it), but unless i'm mistaken, the gai flip looks like the first generation all silver one; its certainly not the last generation one thats white with black on the sides, nor does it look like the tweener one either. maybe the lighting was poor when the seller took the pics, but that flip looks solid silver to me. can u please re-check the flip and possibly scan it for us so we can know for sure???

GAI packs with a serial # starting with 103 like this one are the last of the packs holdered with the old silver style flip. They changed the design during the 104...serial # run. The true "first generation" holders are the ones with serial #s starting with 100... and 101...when they had the bar code on the back of the flip.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    This thread is AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    keep the faith sir...

this thread DOES rock

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    A 1992 OPC baseball box received from a fellow CU forum member. Fun and definitely brought back memories. Thanks Tom Z.

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Love that Ripken photo!
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Robb, glad you enjoyed the box.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    did you get a Hershiser out of that '92 OPC box?
  • Options
    Haven't given up on the rips but spent most of my Q2 card budget on this card for my PC. Spent more than I wanted, especially with the REA juice, but I am happy I have the card and can cross it off my list.

Hopefully BBCE will get some ungraded, box fresh 86 Fleer basketball packs sometime in the near future. Haven't opened one of those in what feels like forever. Will also be attending the National this year and plan to spend a fair bit of change on unopened while I am there.

CNote I will check for a Hershiser from my 92 OPC rip this weekend.
    Clear skies,

Robb
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowser. Nice Pistol Pete! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    That is a BLAZER!!! WTG!!
  • Options
    After losing out on a PSA 9 OPC Gretzky rookie on eBay this week I decided to spend some $$s with BBCE this weekend.

Have the following on their way:
    (1) 1980/81 Topps Basketball box
    (1) 2001 Topps Heritage baseball box
    (3) 1984 Topps Football rack packs
    (3) 1991 Pro Set II Football boxes
    (3) 1980 OPC Hockey packs
    (1) 1979 OPC Hockey pack

Hopefully they have it all in stock. Should be delivered by Wednesday so some fun rips for June.

Robb
  • Options
    Been a while. Have a bunch of stuff.
    First up a box of 2010 Allen & Ginter purchased from my local card shop for $109.95.

• Options
    Do you mind waiting until I get home from a dinner date with the wife? Don't want to miss anything.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    still the coolest thread on the internets.
  • Options
    One box of 2010 Topps Heritage purchased from my local card shop for $89.95. Pretty good box but still no 2010 Heritage autos for me.

• Options
    One box of 2008 Goudey purchased from my local card shop for $49.95. Some day I will pull a Woods auto from an UD product but sadly this box didn't have one.

• Options
    Three 1984 Topps Football rack packs purchased from BBCE for $30 per rack. Sadly no big hits. Actually wanted a gradable Rickey Jackson but didn't pull one.

• Options
    Three packs of 1980 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $65 per pack. Sadly didn't pull any HOF RCs.

• Options
    One box of 2008 Goudey purchased from my local card shop for $49.95. Still no Woods auto.

• Options
    One box of 2010 Allen & Ginter purchased from my local card shop for $109.95.
    Done for the night.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    What the original Goudey?? I didn't know they did that. Pretty sweet!

Yeah, still the thread of the century... thanks for sharing! image
  • Options
    Went to the National in Baltimore today and bought a bunch of unopened (pictured below). Found one card I needed for my PC and opened two packs of 86/87 Fleer basketball at the BBCE table (results to follow).
    I was planning on trying to make these packs last but I'm on a bit of a high from my 2 86/87 Fleer packs so I might rip through most of everything tonight.

From BBCE I purchased :
    (5) 1986/87 Fleer basketball packs from a full box
    (2) 1979/80 OPC hockey packs
    (2) 1980/81 OPC hockey packs
    (5) 1978/79 OPC hockey packs
    (4) 1978/79 Topps basketball packs
    (2) 1975/76 OPC hockey packs
    (1) box of 1975 Topps mini

From other dealers :
    (2) 1991 Topps Stadium club football boxes
    (1) 2008 Allen & Ginter box
    (1) 2003 Topps Heritage box
    (4) 1989 Score football packs

The card I found was a sweet PSA 9 1975 Topps Mini Robin Yount (scan to follow)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your pickups!

I think ya left out the fact that ya picked up a '54 box of Heritage. image

Good luck on the rips!
    Mike
  • Options
    One pack of 1986/87 Fleer basketball from a full box purchased from BBCE for $333 at the National and opened on-site. The Ewing looks like an 8/9. The Jabbar sticker top left corner keeps it out of a 9 holder. Some other 9 candidates but not sure anything will be subbed other than the Ewing.

Edited to add grades:
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER 32 PATRICK EWING
    GEM MINT 10 1986 FLEER 33 VERN FLEMING
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER 99 BYRON SCOTT
    Date Received:9/7/2010

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT 7 1986 FLEER STICKER 1 KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>One box of 2008 Goudey purchased from my local card shop for $49.95. Some day I will pull a Woods auto from an UD product but sadly this box didn't have one.

image >>

Do you still have the Cael Sanderson card?
    I am a high school wrestling coach and would love to have that.
  • Options
    After opening the first 86/87 fleer pack I continued looking around trying to find some additional cards for my PC. I was unable to find any so I went back to the BBCE booth and decided to purchase and open a second pack of 86/87 Fleer. As I was about to open the pack Steve mentioned that another guy had pulled a Jordan yesterday from the same box. As I worked my way through the cards a familiar sequence presented itself. The last card before the sticker was a Jordan!! A little OC but still a sweet pull. Scanning the cards I realized something else, the Jordan was the 13th card in the pack!! 86 Fleer normally has 12 cards and a sticker, this pack had 13 with the Jordan being the last one...Awesome. Had my picture taken by a guy from SCD so I might show up in an article on the National.
    Will sub the Jordan (hoping for a straight 8 given the centering) and most of the cards in the 2nd scan as well as the Erving sticker which is a 9/10.

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1986 FLEER 63 LAFAYETTE LEVER
    GEM MINT 10 1986 FLEER 128 AL WOOD
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER 127 RANDY WITTMAN
    GEM MINT 10 1986 FLEER 125 HERB WILLIAMS
    GEM MINT 10 1986 FLEER 124 GUS WILLIAMS
    MINT 9 1986 FLEER 123 BUCK WILLIAMS

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 FLEER STICKER 5 JULIUS ERVING

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN
    Total Items: 12
    Date Received: 8/13/2010
  • Options
    One pack of 1979 OPC hockey purchased from BBCE for $275 at the National. Every card in the pack was OC top to bottom and no Gretzky. I have one other 79 OPC pack from the National as well as another I purchased a while back. All are going to be opened tonight in the search for a PSA 9 Gretzky rookie.

• Options
    Awesome pull I would say an 8 is possible. So when you gonna rip the others image
  • Options
    1979 OPC hockey pack purchased from BBCE a while back for $275. Much crisper cards than the last pack. Some easy 8s maybe even a 9 hiding in there if I decide to submit.

Next up 4 packs of 1978/79 Topps basketball.

• Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    jealous
  • Options
    Four packs of 1978/79 Topps basketball purchased from BBCE at the National for $9 per pack. Several HOFers but sadly no Dennis Johnson (need a PSA 9 for my PC). May sub the Pistol Pete and a couple commons after I check VCP and pop report.

Next up a box of 1991 Topps Stadium club football.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous Yount image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    One box of 1991 Topps Stadium Club football purchased at the National from Kruk Cards for $80. A great box. Pulled two Brett Favre rookies and have one pack with a Favre rookie showing on the back. Will be sending the two Favre rookies to PSA and thinking about sending the pack as well.

Taking a break for dinner. Going to rip at least one more pack of 86/87 Fleer basketball, the 80/81 OPC hockey packs and some 1975 Topps mini packs.

Edited to add grades:
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FARVE
    MINT 9 1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FARVE
    Date Received: 8/13/2010

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    This is, without a doubt, the greatest thread on these boards. Thanks Robb!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭