Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas never disappoints

• Options
    Plus00VltraPlus00Vltra Posts: 21 ✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Here's a neat one from tonight's Heritage auction. 1 over something... Upside-down 1? Letter I from the legend? No idea, but its neat.

Found an example of this anomaly on a different die and date altogether. It will be a while until i have this coin in-hand for closer study, but will post better images when i do. I still think it's a 1 that was first punched upside-down and later filled and repunched.

I vote 1 over the letter I (looks strange in this font without the serifs.)
    Serifs on the top of I look shorter than the serifs on the bottom of the 1.
    Either way fascinating variations.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 6:43AM

@Plus00Vltra said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Here's a neat one from tonight's Heritage auction. 1 over something... Upside-down 1? Letter I from the legend? No idea, but its neat.

Found an example of this anomaly on a different die and date altogether. It will be a while until i have this coin in-hand for closer study, but will post better images when i do. I still think it's a 1 that was first punched upside-down and later filled and repunched.

I vote 1 over the letter I (looks strange in this font without the serifs.)
    Serifs on the top of I look shorter than the serifs on the bottom of the 1.
    Either way fascinating variations.

I think it could be over a letter I - if - these dies were pre-produced without the last couple of digits. Otherwise i think it's unlikely that a die sinker picked up a proper "1" punch, applied it, then applied another digit, then picked up the wrong "I" punch instead of the "1" he just used to sink the first digit.

Although now that i'm looking at the 1810 closer, there does appear to be some kind of re-punching happening under the first 1, as well. (line above the base)

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 8:09PM

@SimonW

That 2R looks to be 1743 rather than 1745:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=(1743+1745)+guatemala+"2+reales"&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=1

That link gets broken from goofy characters - copy and paste or just plug the following into ACsearch:
    (1743 1745) guatemala "2 reales"

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:
    @SimonW

That 2R looks to be 1743 rather than 1745:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=(1743+1745)+guatemala+"2+reales"&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=1

That link gets broken from goofy characters - copy and paste or just plug the following into ACsearch:
    (1743 1745) guatemala "2 reales"

Yeah, you got a good point. The more I look at them the more I’m not sure if it’s either one😬😂

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    A 1/2 real of the 1789 Carlos III Santiago transitional type. Quite nice as they come.

Nice is an understatement, your 1/2 real example is an nothing shy of an absolute stunner!

P.S.
    Thank you for the kind comments on my real. I was very excited to share it with you. I hope more turn up over time.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    I picked up this one in today’s Stacks Bowers sale. Not sure why it wasn’t in a major sale, but it did well nonetheless.

PCGS PR68DCAM

That is an amazing 20 pesos. I thought you already had one of those.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

@pruebas said:
    I picked up this one in today’s Stacks Bowers sale. Not sure why it wasn’t in a major sale, but it did well nonetheless.

PCGS PR68DCAM

One of a handful of known proof 20 Pesos (2 at NGC and 1 at PCGS).

I had heard of two proof 50 Peso Centenarios, but they are not in either the PCGS or NGC census, so maybe they don’t exist.

All are new die restrikes, so minted after the dates on the coins.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2024 4:35PM

@pruebas well done

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 6:46PM

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:

@pruebas said:

PCGS PR68DCAM

One of a handful of known proof 20 Pesos (2 at NGC and 1 at PCGS).

I had heard of two proof 50 Peso Centenarios, but they are not in either the PCGS or NGC census, so maybe they don’t exist.

All are new die restrikes, so minted after the dates on the coins.

I think I've seen one or two of the 50's in slabs. They were obviously not the normal coins we see, and didn't seem that old, and the depth of mirrors and contrast were nothing like the 20 you just purchased. Honestly, I had no idea the 20's existed like that. Very cool.

Edited to say I should have searched before posting. Check this out! Heritage sold this NGC PR66 in 2006.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great look to that one! Big fan.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Thursday but hey !

There are a ton of these in 64 and less not not this one.

PCGS 65 POP 3/0

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2024 12:40PM

@Euclid said:

It's a little early but I have a busy day tomorrow. Here's my most recent find.

According to documents cited in A Monetary History of Central America by Brian Stickney, these provisional coins were recalled just one month after being issued due to being of a lower silver content than the standard CAR pieces of the time. That would also help explain why my coin and most of the others I saw in the auction archives are heavily circulated.

A heritage auction listing that I read suggested a surviving population of fewer than 30 coins, so I feel really lucky just to have one. At some point I'd like to get it to a shop with an xrf machine and see if the metal composition can be verified. The book says it should be 75% silver.

Nice find!

Appears that are about 4 known, here it is one not mine but holed, posted only for comparison:

Edit: And to add a value this one is in the 4.5k neighborhood as-is.

• Options

@ELuis is is rare, but there are many more than 4.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @ELuis is is rare, but there are many more than 4.

Yes, I posted the number on the KM.

Here is below part of the description from HA auction in 2015 of one an AU58, do not know if that had changed since:
    Note that the rarity of this issue is clearly overestimated in KM ("4 known") when a more accurate figure is less than 30 confirmed surviving specimens.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Based on the amount of times I've seen these, whichever Krause contributor conjured up that "4 known" bit was either completely clueless... or lying b/c they had a few to sell!

That said, still very tough to find... and though this piece is well circulated, it IS unholed.

• Options

@FistFullOfDollars said:
    Here is a low ball winner, I wanted a pedigree for my type set.

Nice wholesome coin.

There were some great coins as part of that collection, including a 1783-FM, 1804 CARLVS error, 1814/3-HJ just to name a few off the top of my head. There was also a sus 1778-FM that went unsold. I've picked up a few pieces in that sale, but all had too many hairlines for my taste that were not obvious in the catalog photos (typical Aureo) so i flipped them after getting them into PCGS plastic.