Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

1444546474850»

Comments

• Options

Thanks much.> @SimonW said:

Paid too much, but I added this one

Congrats, nice pick-up.

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Here is my third coin of the type...

Peace.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sergey74 said:
    Here is my third coin of the type...

Neat coin. It looks like it might be an overdate, but doesn't appear to be a 7/6. With only other dates in the 1840's for this issue being 1840-1842, perhaps it's one of those?

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Neat coin. It looks like it might be an overdate, but doesn't appear to be a 7/6. With only other dates in the 1840's for this issue being 1840-1842, perhaps it's one of those?

Exactly "neat", my early coins are more rude. One man said about 6-7 and I think the same but the traces are very minor, so not sure.

Peace.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one:

• Options

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

ELuis you are on fire!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    ELuis you are on fire!!!

Thanks! and I have more than 30 raw coins waiting to be sent for grading, including some not from the latin America area, that I have been buying just for fun.

• Options

@JohnnyCache Wow, nice set!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas agree, I have seen more than a few.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s very very nice @JohnnyCache !!!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your taste, Simon :)

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 1:00AM

@ELuis said:
    Can add this one here too:

Edit to add: This 2R from Santiago - Chile are way too difficult to find them in this condition, apart of the low mintage of 51,000, the coin is VF30 and the only one graded at PCGS.s I have mentioned

Scarce coin and a very nice example, @Eluis.
    As I have probably already mentioned, Santiago mint coins of Carlos III in grades better than Fine are very scarce, many dates are rare and almost never seen, specially up to 1785. Thereafter they become more available.
    My example of this date is low grade (as most), but it has sentimental value for me as it was the first Santiago colonial I ever found (in a coin show in Brussels).

• Options

@Eddi said:
    As I have probably already mentioned, Santiago mint coins of Carlos III in grades better than Fine are very scarce, many dates are rare and almost never seen, specially up to 1785. Thereafter they become more available.

Yes you mentioned before, I think when I first posted this coin with other two ones that I bought from Mexico & Lima. There was another one that I did not bought the 1785 with a nice patina but with a small bent, also not cheap, in a nice condition, anyway I have not seen any other one since, like this.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Here is a very rare modern that was likely struck in much smaller numbers

Nice coin!

Have seen modern coins from Jamaica proofs with very low mintages in silver even with only 20, do not own any coin of this country.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 8:14AM

Ah Luis
    Thanks
    This one had authorised Mintage of 500 but possibly only the lower number less than 50

Do you remember which lower Mintage you saw?

About 5 years ago I got actual matte uncirculated specimens of 1975FM and 1977FM 10 dollar coins - original Mintage of 28 and 30 pieces, none in sets. Never saw any others in more than 30 years because if I could only get the 1976FM MATTE 10 dollar I would have complete collection.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2024 9:09AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Ah Luis
    Thanks
    This one had authorised Mintage of 500 but possibly only the lower number less than 50

Do you remember which lower Mintage you saw?

About 5 years ago I got actual matte uncirculated specimens of 1975FM and 1977FM 10 dollar coins - original Mintage of 28 and 30 pieces, none in sets. Never saw any others in more than 30 years because if I could only get the 1976FM MATTE 10 dollar I would have complete collection.

Sorry no direct url links.

I remember a $25 1984 Proof called Mule with a 20 mintage - the $10 1984 also proof 1100 the 1985 with only 610
    Another one of the year 1985 $10 with 1000 mintage -
    A 1990 Proof 5 Dollars with 500 - Also a 1987 $10 with 1000 mintage.
    i.e:

I marked the 9 in red - but not sure if that means the total mintage after re-reading guess is the number of proof collections they did of some others, anyway seems that are a low mintage of 1000.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, those were Royal Mint issues and the proofs had for most years (1987-2002) theoretic maximum mintages of 500 but some MUCH scarcer - like the "uber rare" 2002 set that almost certainly is substantially less than 50 sets. The 1984 mule I am not sure of - I have a specimen - but may be as scarce as that.
    The FM is a bit tricky about the mintages of coins and sets, especially circulation or currency types for the period of 1981-85, and the Royal Mint will seemingly not give up information on actual mintages and how many actually RELEASED, so coins like this one remain mysteries....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

1861 El Salvador Barrios 25 centavos pattern, struck over a US 1857 Seated Quarter. Some might reflexively call it a likely pocket piece. But I think it’s more likely that the strong undertype made the piece unsuitable for its purpose, and it was unceremoniously put into circulation without further thought.

Pretty cool

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭

1783 2 Real Peru mint mark
    Looks like the "L" may be doubled