Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HOF FOOTBALL RC AUTOGRAPH SHOWCASE/DISCUSSION

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Reese,

So - you're the SOB who outbid me on the Mac Speedie... image Congrats - because that is a TOUGH card to find and the signature is 8+ quality.

Also, nice pickup on the Winberly - that card has to be high on the wish list of most Packers vintage autograph collectors.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Jason,

Thanks so much for the kind words. These sets are definitely a labor of love! I've sent you an email about your collection.

Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Reese,

So - you're the SOB who outbid me on the Mac Speedie... image Congrats - because that is a TOUGH card to find and the signature is 8+ quality.

Also, nice pickup on the Winberly - that card has to be high on the wish list of most Packers vintage autograph collectors.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

I figured you would be after the Speedie as well!

I was shocked when I saw the Wimberly. It was a buy it now for $89! I probably would have paid $350 for it! lol
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Anyone going to the National in Baltimore???
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Here is an example of 4 I pulled from this collection.....3 are listed raw on ebay and the Otto is pulled to send to PSA DNA.

Jason

• Options
    Good stuff! Will PSA slab the Graham with the top portion of the card missing? I'm not 100% on the standards of much of the card can be missing for encapsulation. Anyone know the guildlines?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    nevets209nevets209 Posts: 71 ✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff! Will PSA slab the Graham with the top portion of the card missing? I'm not 100% on the standards of much of the card can be missing for encapsulation. Anyone know the guildlines? >>

They will put it in a red flip as "Authentic" or a blue flip. I have a baseball card that has a piece missing and it came back as "Authentic" it was too badly damaged for a "1"
  • Options
    Here is a few more samples from this collection from the 1950s.

image[/IMG]
  • Options
    had some grades pop today. I'm glad everything came back authentic! I'm surprised by some of the PSA 1's and 2's in the mix....

EXCELLENT 5 1951 BOWMAN 31 ALEX LOYD PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 BOWMAN 54 TED FRITSCH PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1951 BOWMAN 71 PAUL LIPSCOMB PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1951 BOWMAN 85 JULES RYKOVICH PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    POOR 1 1951 BOWMAN 102 BOBBY LAYNE PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 74 JOE CAMPANELLA PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    GOOD 2 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 84 BUDDY PARKER PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 129 JACK CHRISTIANSEN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 14 PAUL BROWN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 BOWMAN 119 FRANK GATSKI PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1955 TOPPS ALL-AMER. 90 CHARLEY O'ROURKE PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    EXCELLENT 5 1955 TOPPS ALL-AMER. 56 ERNIE NEVERS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    POOR 1 1948 LEAF 29 CHARLEY TRIPPI PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    POOR 1 1948 LEAF 36 BILL DUDLEY PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    N0: AUTHENTIC 1948 LEAF 37 GEORGE CONNOR PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to get a Roger Staubach rookie card auto? I have a real nice one but came back trimmed but i thought it would be great to get his auto on it. Thanks for any info and pm me as I don't want to take away from all the great autos you all have here!!
  • Options
    I believe even if the card is trimmed, you can get an Authentic grade on the slab.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I hope that everyone is doing well. I just received back two cards from the Houston Tri-Star show - 1989 Score signed by Deion Sanders and 2005 Topps Chrome signed by DeMarcus Ware. Both turned out pretty well. Has anyone else picked up anything new recently?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Great additions Greg!

Anyone going to the Sun Times Show in Chicago in a couple weeks?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great additions Greg!

Anyone going to the Sun Times Show in Chicago in a couple weeks? >>

I'm going, is there something you need help with there?
  • Options
    No just seeing if anyone is going. I'm a Colts fan and Peyton is going to be there Sunday so I thought I might hit the show up.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No just seeing if anyone is going. I'm a Colts fan and Peyton is going to be there Sunday so I thought I might hit the show up. >>

I have gone to the show the last 7-8 times they have had it and it's usually a pretty good time. I would have loved to get Peyton on a 98 SP Authentic but I couldn't find a card within my budget. Manning was at the show a few years ago and he wound up staying a couple hours longer than his allotted time to accommodate all of the people that purchased tickets. I'm sure he will have a huge line again this year.
  • Options
    I remember the signing you are talking about. I really wished I would have went, but I couldn't make it. I don't want to miss it again! He really doesn't do many public shows.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>No just seeing if anyone is going. I'm a Colts fan and Peyton is going to be there Sunday so I thought I might hit the show up. >>

Reese,

Are you going to get a rookie card signed by Peyton?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

I've been thinking about a signed rookie, but I'm struggling with the idea of investing $1000 + into a modern card where the player is still signing. There are very few cards in this set that exceed $1000. Off the top of my head I can only think of Steve Owen, Len Ford and maybe some the Chicles if they ever see the light of day. Even the most iconic cards in this set like Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown only command about half of the price I would invest in the Peyton SP Authentic. I have seriously mixed feelings about it. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I've been after this one for quite some time and we finally reached a price that was fair for both of us.

My new addition: 1950 Bowman Jim Finks!!!

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

Nice pickup on the Finks...that is a tough card to find. What does the incription say?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

I've been thinking about a signed rookie, but I'm struggling with the idea of investing $1000 + into a modern card where the player is still signing. There are very few cards in this set that exceed $1000. Off the top of my head I can only think of Steve Owen, Len Ford and maybe some the Chicles if they ever see the light of day. Even the most iconic cards in this set like Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown only command about half of the price I would invest in the Peyton SP Authentic. I have seriously mixed feelings about it. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Reese >>

Reese,

I hear ya....Manning and Brady are going to be the most expensive by far. I think that you could find a decent Manning rc for $500 to $600 (say PSA 7ish condition) and the autograph would cost $200 - so $700 to $800 in total. How about Brady thought? His rc is more expensive than Manning and I believe that he charges $350 to $500+. So - with Brady, you would have to sink in greater than $1000...easily.

I would get Manning signed at the upcoming show if I had the $. I would like to knock him off my list within the next year - however my primarily goal is to knock off the last 14 from my want list.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Reese,

Nice pickup on the Finks...that is a tough card to find. What does the incription say?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

It says "Good Luck Emil." I've only seen 4 of them including the one you have.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Greg,

Reese >>

Reese,

I hear ya....Manning and Brady are going to be the most expensive by far. I think that you could find a decent Manning rc for $500 to $600 (say PSA 7ish condition) and the autograph would cost $200 - so $700 to $800 in total. How about Brady thought? His rc is more expensive than Manning and I believe that he charges $350 to $500+. So - with Brady, you would have to sink in greater than $1000...easily.

I would get Manning signed at the upcoming show if I had the $. I would like to knock him off my list within the next year - however my primarily goal is to knock off the last 14 from my want list.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I think as we move forward with this set condition is going to play a bigger part of the equation. If I'm going to start working on these modern guys I need PSA 9 or better. What is the deal with this Manning RC? Why the hell is it so expensive???? SP Authentic usually is not extremely expensive. It's not signed or numbered even. Anyone know at what rate they were inserted?

As for Brady I might just have to leave that spot open! He's caused my Colts too much pain in the past for me to spend $1K to have him in my set! lol
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    A decent Manning 1998 SP Authentic is $450 and he signs for about $200 at a show. $650 to $700 is not bad for a card of that I've never seen.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    There's one PSA/DNa on eBay now for $800 or OBO that I saw recently.
  • Options
    I saw that. Probably the ugliest manning autograph I have seen. Still only one I've seen.
  • Options
    If anyone has a 1955 Topps AA Ace Parker signed for sale I will pay top dollar for it.

Thanks,
    Reese

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Is Ace Parker even signing anymore. I got him ttm about 1 year ago on his 1955. He signed it Ace Ace Parker. Autograph still looks better than the one somebody is asking $250 for. He turned a 100 in May the last signature I saw of his looked like the one on the Authenticated card on ebay.
  • Options
    His signature is barely legible at this point (much like the one currently on ebay). I looked a couple months ago and he was still returning TTMs. God bless him!

I think the price on the one listed on ebay is absurd. Frankly I don't know how it's possible to authenticate. Ace has been a great signer for many many years, I know there are tons of signed 55s out there.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I wish I had a better looking one but his signature has looked bad since 2010. How many 1955s do you have? There has to be less than 10 of the 100 guys in the set still alive. I know Ralph Kercheval died not long ago. Kazmaier, Moomaw, Lujack, Ace, Bob Odell, and Savitsky are the only ones I can think of that are still alive.
  • Options
    I sold a few off a couple months ago, but I still have a pretty solid collection. These are the 55 Topps Autos that I have:

Don Hutson
    Dan Hill
    Whizzer White
    Beattie Feathers
    Angelo Bertelli
    Pug Lund
    Paul Governali
    Turk Edwards
    Ken Strong
    Sid Luckman
    Alex Wojociechowicz
    Bill Dudley
    Ralph Kercheval
    Bob Odell
    George Savitisky
    Don Moomaw
    Wes Fesler
    Erny Pinckert
    Charlie Justice
    Red Grange
    Frank Sinkwich
    Tom Harmon
    Johnny Lujack
    Marshall Goldberg
    Jay Berawanger
    Bruiser Kinard
    Larry Kelley
    John Kimbrough
    Frank Albert
    George Cafego
    Ed Widseth
    Sammy Baugh
    George Sauer
    Charley O'Rourke
    Ken Kavanaugh
    Bob Wilson
    Ed Franco
    Amos Alonzo Stagg
    Bennie Oosterbaan
    Ed Weir
    Ernie Nevers
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His signature is barely legible at this point (much like the one currently on ebay). I looked a couple months ago and he was still returning TTMs. God bless him!

I think the price on the one listed on ebay is absurd. Frankly I don't know how it's possible to authenticate. Ace has been a great signer for many many years, I know there are tons of signed 55s out there. >>

Further to your point, having serial numbered cards on the HOF Rookie registry set has always been a point of contention for me. It's an "exclusive" card, not an "inclusive" card to own. I'm far more in the camp of making the set accessible to everyone. It would make far more sense to me to have his 98 Topps in the set.
  • Options
    You got Amos Alonzo Stagg. Unbelievable. Have you ever seen a Vic Hanson 1955. That is one of my dream cards. Never seen a Hanson 55 signed.
  • Options
    Fair point. The SP is a scarce and expensive card raw, but it would be the crown of signed Manning rookies. I would love one, but that is a month's rent and very little eventual profit is in it.
  • Options

<< <i>You got Amos Alonzo Stagg. Unbelievable. Have you ever seen a Vic Hanson 1955. That is one of my dream cards. Never seen a Hanson 55 sig >>

I have never seen a Vic Hanson. Actually, there are many guys from that passed away in 2000-present that I've never seen. The set is more challenging than I ever anticipated. The furthest I've ever heard any get is around 60% completion.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>His signature is barely legible at this point (much like the one currently on ebay). I looked a couple months ago and he was still returning TTMs. God bless him!

I think the price on the one listed on ebay is absurd. Frankly I don't know how it's possible to authenticate. Ace has been a great signer for many many years, I know there are tons of signed 55s out there. >>

Further to your point, having serial numbered cards on the HOF Rookie registry set has always been a point of contention for me. It's an "exclusive" card, not an "inclusive" card to own. I'm far more in the camp of making the set accessible to everyone. It would make far more sense to me to have his 98 Topps in the set. >>

I agree with you on this subject. I know Greg and I discussed being able to add any RC card as we start getting players from the 90's inducted with multiple RCs and PSA wouldn't go for it. I would prefer the Topps RC for Manning as well.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    What is the deal with this Manning RC? Why the hell is it so expensive???? SP Authentic usually is not extremely expensive. It's not signed or numbered even. Anyone know at what rate they were inserted?

Been meaning to respond on this for you Reese. 1998 SP Authentic P. Manning RC was number to 2000. The numbering is on the back of the card. It was the first year that SP Authentic started numbering the RC's. If I remember correctly, RC's and Time Warp cards ( another #'ed subset), were inserted at a rate of 1 every 4 packs. It's Peytons most popular RC which explains why it is expensive. As a side note, SP Authentic cards/RC's in general tend to be the most popular and expensive RC's when it comes to football.
    You don't see many of his SP Authentic RC's signed, because they are expensive. Many collectors are happy to have a card of a player signed and are not as committed to getting the RC signed.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Thanks Frank for the great info! I'm actually surprised I knew so little about this card. Maybe someday I'll pony up for it, but right now I won't do it.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>

Further to your point, having serial numbered cards on the HOF Rookie registry set has always been a point of contention for me. It's an "exclusive" card, not an "inclusive" card to own. I'm far more in the camp of making the set accessible to everyone. It would make far more sense to me to have his 98 Topps in the set. >>

For the HOF and Future HOF auto sets, we decided to use the cards that are chosen for the unsigned sets; the criteria for which is the most expensive non-signed card numbered 999 or higher. I've tried to convince PSA to let us add more flexibility to the autograph sets, however they want the card choices for the autograph sets to strictly mirror the non-autographs - for simplicity.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold a few off a couple months ago, but I still have a pretty solid collection. These are the 55 Topps Autos that I have:

Don Hutson
    Dan Hill
    Whizzer White
    Beattie Feathers
    Angelo Bertelli
    Pug Lund
    Paul Governali
    Turk Edwards
    Ken Strong
    Sid Luckman
    Alex Wojociechowicz
    Bill Dudley
    Ralph Kercheval
    Bob Odell
    George Savitisky
    Don Moomaw
    Wes Fesler
    Erny Pinckert
    Charlie Justice
    Red Grange
    Frank Sinkwich
    Tom Harmon
    Johnny Lujack
    Marshall Goldberg
    Jay Berawanger
    Bruiser Kinard
    Larry Kelley
    John Kimbrough
    Frank Albert
    George Cafego
    Ed Widseth
    Sammy Baugh
    George Sauer
    Charley O'Rourke
    Ken Kavanaugh
    Bob Wilson
    Ed Franco
    Amos Alonzo Stagg
    Bennie Oosterbaan
    Ed Weir
    Ernie Nevers >>

Reese: Freidman's gone? Say it ain't so!!! LMK when you need to refill that slot.
  • Options
    Still your 1955 Topps All America Collection is very impressive. I had Brusier Kinard , Doc Blanchard, Jay Berwanger, Otto Graham, and Sammy Baugh signed on 1955 and I sold them after my dad lost his job. Never fall in love with your cards.
  • Options
    I just received these back from PSA. Somehow they lost my 1955 Topps AA Otto Graham - I'm still waiting to hear back whether they tracked it down. In 10 years submitting cards to PSA, this is the first time something like this has happened.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I hope you get Otto Graham back. That is a $150 to $200 card slabbed. I would be livid.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you get Otto Graham back. That is a $150 to $200 card slabbed. I would be livid. >>

It was very strange because when I opened the package the order form and packing slip list the 6 cards - but there were only 5 in the box. As a matter of fact, the order was shipped in a small, flat rate box (a VHS box) that will only hold 5 cards. They said that they will reimburse me if they can't find it. I listed a value of $200 on the order form...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    How many 1955 Topps do you have? There is one 1955 Topps that is one of my dream cards and have never seen it, Vic Hanson. He is a Basketball Hall of Fame in addition to being a College Football Hall of Famer. I am big Basketball Hall of Fame collector and a Syracuse fan. I would pay $500 for a signed Vic Hanson 1955 Topps in a heartbeat . He died in 1982, only 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Scott,

PM sent
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>I just received these back from PSA. Somehow they lost my 1955 Topps AA Otto Graham - I'm still waiting to hear back whether they tracked it down. In 10 years submitting cards to PSA, this is the first time something like this has happened.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

That Larry Kelly is nice! Both of those 55's present better than the grades you received. Did you have anything else in that sub?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

The Kelly was part of the sub where the other 4 autographs were rejected (94 SP Faulk, 50 Bowman Finks, 58 Topps Galimore and 55 Topps AA Grange) and the Baugh was submitted along w/ a 48 Bowman Baugh, 48 Bowman Luckman, 58 Topps Layne, 50 Bowman Otto Graham and 55 Topps Otto Graham - which PSA apparantly lost. I started a signed 48 Bowman set on the registry that is 1/3 complete...check it out.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about the cards rejected. Hopefully you can get your money back on those.

I'll check out the 48 Bowman set! Do you know how many you were able to obtain TTM?

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333