Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I guess this thread is on its way out, no action since yesterday afternoon. It will pick up again when the prices start to increase again.

PLEASE DONT WAKE TONY UP.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    no more crumbs...
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    150 Listings...image
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    TeleTrade has a bunch of 08/07s in their auction today (Sunday, 29 June, 2008)..

rather than list individual links.. it's auction #2550, and the lot numbers are:
    2599, 2600, 2601, 2602 (all PCGS MS69 FS)..
    and
    2603, 2604 (both NGC MS70s..)..

i'm not bidding.. just Tracking and watching to see what they sell for, assuming they sell.. (as those who know and use TeleTrade. if you add a lot to your personal Tracking list and the next day, it's vanished, then it didn't sell (meaning the seller had a Reserve that wasn't met, or bought it back.. unlike eBay, TeleTrade consigners are allowed to bid on their own coins..).. and if it doesn't sell.. it just vanishes from your list.. if it did sell, then it stays on your list forever, until you choose to remove it, and the realized price is displayed.. to that, you have to add their 12% buyer's fee, plus shipping, plus sales tax, the last of which is only applicable to winners in Calif. and NY, as far as I know.. UNLESS your total Invoice for any given auction is over $1000.00.. then there's no sales tax..

there's another NGC MS70 in tomorrow's auction #2551, lot #2388

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>I guess this thread is on its way out, no action since yesterday afternoon. It will pick up again when the prices start to increase again.

PLEASE DONT WAKE TONY UP. >>

Hm.....and you guys were complaining about ME trying to hijack this tread??? Moi??? image

Allright, I've been debating whether or not to say this, since I might be shooting myself in the foot, but I recommend that if you want to make money with this coin, do some flipping using that Microsoft Cashback dea. It's still 20% at this point. Buy some raw or 69's and then either sell them to B&M dealers, or even on ebay (you might make more with the B&M dealers though). Even if you sell at a loss, you won't since you'll still get 20% cashback from Microsoft. (Note, you can only do this 3 times/ebay account. If you want to do more, set up another ebay account)

I'm doing this because I want to reduce my average cost/coin. I bought originally bought 4 at about $300 and a 70 at $710. I'm going to see if I can buy and trade until I can reduce my cost/coin to....I don't know, a lower dollar amount.

On a side note...I'm still somewhat surprised that the number of listings has gone down. Does that mean sellers just aren't willing to sell at this point? Maybe because prices are too low? Or maybe sellers have found other places with which to sell their coins (B&M dealers)??? image

Anyway, the way I see it, if you can find some good dealers buying for $500 each...or even much lower, ebay is a great pool to buy these coins. It looks like the sellers on ebay aren't yet aware that there are dealers who are willing to buy their coins for a much higher price. Oh well, their loss, our gain! image

EDIT: Hm....I think I might just call around, local dealers, or....whoever, and find out what the situation is for this coin. Are they selling? Are they buying? Their thoughts? Their "gauge" from the public? It might be a good way to just really figure out what's going on, outside of ebay....image At the risk of getting under people's skin, I'll share what I find out. image
  • I have sold all the coins that I am going to sell. The last one is on e-Bay now. The rest of my coins are safe in my safety deposit box until later.
    Will the PCGS ms69 non FS crack the $600 level again? link Maybe a sign that prices are heading up....image
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt someone put in a request using the freedom of information act? If so where are we one that?
  • >

<< <i>Will the PCGS ms69 non FS crack the $600 level again? link Maybe a sign that prices are heading up....image >>

<
    The Dabigkahuna has a pretty good size following of the coins he sells.He usually gets more for his then the regular joe blow selling the same coin.

<< <i>Didnt someone put in a request using the freedom of information act? If so where are we one that? >>

yes, someone did, in early June.. and was told it takes at least "20 business days" to get a response.. throwing out weekends, it should be this coming week when he gets a response.. unless the Mint has some way to delay it.. (does any gubmint entity NOT have some way to delay just about anything?..) .. scroll back a few dozen posts.. anyway, no response to his FOIA request yet.. i'm sure we'll hear about it in this thread, however they respond..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    It appears overall prices continue to soften. Raw coins are now in the $425-450 range.
    IMO the NGC MS70s are the most overpriced.

<< <i>Will the PCGS ms69 non FS crack the $600 level again? link Maybe a sign that prices are heading up....image >>

Call it what it was..........a fluke.

You could have bought the same coin in FS one day earlier for $460.

Consider.................

2007 2008 MS69 pcgs search results....

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&amp;sbrftog=1&amp;dfsp=1&amp;catref=C6&amp;from=R40&amp;guest=1&amp;satitle=2007+2008+reverse+ms69+pcgs&amp;sacat=-1&catref=C6&amp;sargn=-1&saslc=2&amp;sabfmts=1&amp;fis=2&amp;ftrt=1&amp;ftrv=1&amp;saprclo=&amp;saprchi=&amp;fsop=1&fsoo=2

• << <i>Didnt someone put in a request using the freedom of information act? If so where are we one that? >>

Lope208 said that he submitted a request back in late May.

EDIT: Heheheheh....looks like both my ebay and my wife's ebay accounts were forced to do a tutorial on "schilling". Either ebay figured it out, or someone else ratted me out (that I did that thing with my wife's account in order to take advantage of that MS Cashback program). Whew....It's a good thing that I reversed the transaction! That'll never happen again, thank God!

• << <i>It appears overall prices continue to soften. Raw coins are now in the $425-450 range.
    IMO the NGC MS70s are the most overpriced. >>

Oh come now...that $425 was a fluke. Some....fool....decided to list 3 coins all at the exact same time!

<< <i>

<< <i>It appears overall prices continue to soften. Raw coins are now in the $425-450 range.
    IMO the NGC MS70s are the most overpriced. >>

Oh come now...that $425 was a fluke. Some....fool....decided to list 3 coins all at the exact same time! >>

I'd say it is very ominous if market is so weak that all it takes to drive it down is 3 coins.
    There are currently 139 coins listed with 33 more to run out this evening.
    It will be interesting to see what happens at this point.

<< <i>

Call it what it was..........a fluke.

You could have bought the same coin in FS one day earlier for $460.

Consider.................

2007 2008 MS69 pcgs search results....

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&amp;sbrftog=1&amp;dfsp=1&amp;catref=C6&amp;from=R40&amp;guest=1&amp;satitle=2007+2008+reverse+ms69+pcgs&amp;sacat=-1&catref=C6&amp;sargn=-1&saslc=2&amp;sabfmts=1&amp;fis=2&amp;ftrt=1&amp;ftrv=1&amp;saprclo=&amp;saprchi=&amp;fsop=1&fsoo=2 >>

Don't be silly now, I just sold one yestersay for 550 + shipping, and ya I know how to search completed listings, like I said before, it's hit or miss on running BIN's or auctions...and don't forget, just because one closes at $460 doesn't mean you coulda bought one at $460 because you don't know where the top bid was at...
    with an hour or so left to go, here are the current bids on the six 08/07s in tonight's TeleTrade auction.. bear in mind to those amounts, assuming they sell, the winning bidders also have to add a 12% buyer's fee, plus sales tax in CA and NY (unless their final Invoice total is over $1000.00).. plus shipping..

i've scaled a screen grab down a bit so avoid side-scrolling..

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>with an hour or so left to go, here are the current bids on the six 08/07s in tonight's TeleTrade auction.. bear in mind to those amounts, assuming they sell, the winning bidders also have to add a 12% buyer's fee, plus sales tax in CA and NY (unless their final Invoice total is over $1000.00).. plus shipping..

image >>

I'm amazed at the NGC MS70 prices....on eBay they go for $700+!!!!! image
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I am definitely considering sending my NGC 70's to Teletrade with those strong prices....

-Paul
  • Thanks hrlaser.image
    no change in those bids an hour later, with half an hour to go, although there is often some last-second sniping.. those NGC 70s are bid up to teevee coin show prices.. interesting, considering TeleTrade's bidder base is quite different than eBay's.. and MUCH smaller.. i'd hazard a guess that only a couple percent of eBay bidders even know TeleTrade exists.. there are vast differences in the selling and buying mechanisms between the two venues.. and remember, those bids, even if they hold, aren't the final price.. add the buyers' fee (the "juice") to that, plus tax (if the winner is in CA. or NY and their Invoice total for any given auction is under $1000.00).. plus shipping.. which varies based on the value of whatever you win.. so on a $1000.00 coin, the final price will be considerably higher..

<< <i>Thanks hrlaser.image >>

no problem-o.. i'll check tomorrow and see if they all sold, and if so, for how much.. no, i'm not bidding on anything.. and i've got all the 08/07s i'm ever gonna have unless i hit the lotto or some fall out of the sky into my hands.. (or someone likes me enough to get real generous on my Birthday.. heh.. ) ..
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I have no dog in this hunt but you do realize that those are most likely reserves. Do the search after the auctions are final and see how many actually sold.

<< <i>I have no dog in this hunt but you do realize that those are most likely reserves. Do the search after the auctions are final and see how many actually sold. >>

no search needed, since i added all six of those coins to my TeleTrade personal Tracking page yesterday, and when the auctions started today, the bids on them were waaaaaaaaay lower than what you see in that screen grab above.. so they didn't start at those prices.. in other words, those NGC 70s didn't START at $1000.00.. and none of the PCGS 69s started at over $500.00.. come tomorrow, i'll (or you'll if you're also Tracking them).. will know which ones sold and which ones didn't.. because, as you know, if a lot doesn't sell, it simply vanishes from your personal Tracking list a few hours later, and gets re-listed again a few auctions later.. i think they give you two automatic "free" re-listings..
    i've never consigned anything to TeleTrade.. but i've bought a couple dozen coins from them since i signed up in 2001.. most i still have, some i flipped on eBay and turned a profit.. sometimes a very healthy profit.. sometimes broke even.. once or twice took a small loss..

Harv

• tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I've visited only two B&M's in NYC while on the road, but still I think it's safe to say that B&M's are not the way to go if you have more rev 07's to sell. No interest.

It's nice to see that Teletrade and eBay are still good outlets, for now. If you want more than $400 for raw, I'd say better sell now. My sense is that values will continue to slide until it gets an album opening or a registry requirement. Have no idea on that timeline, but Lydston's post that soonest for some albums is 2009 is instructive.

One of our fellow members here predicted $1000 by Christmas. Does anyone still think so?

I'm holding four for that possibility, but I'm thinking it's not very likely.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've visited only two B&M's in NYC while on the road, but still I think it's safe to say that B&M's are not the way to go if you have more rev 07's to sell. No interest.

It's nice to see that Teletrade and eBay are still good outlets, for now. If you want more than $400 for raw, I'd say better sell now. My sense is that values will continue to slide until it gets an album opening or a registry requirement. Have no idea on that timeline, but Lydston's post that soonest for some albums is 2009 is instructive.

One of our fellow members here predicted $1000 by Christmas. Does anyone still think so?

I'm holding four for that possibility, but I'm thinking it's not very likely. >>

Example from tonight!!!

This coin is leveling out!!!!! Sorry guys, I hope I'm wrong!!!

<< <i>

I'm holding four for that possibility, but I'm thinking it's not very likely. >>

i'm holding too.. you'll get every opinion from "the sky is falling sell sell immediately" to "hold hold they're still going up, $1000.00 by Xmas" to everything else in-between from this crowd.. basically, no one knows.. there are a lot of factors at play.. and while i won't get into politics, other than to say the election is fewer than 130 days away.. and the economy's become the #1 concern because it hits everyone where they live.. right smack in the wallet..

oil's still going up.. stocks down, precious metals up again, the DollErs' in the toilet, the middle-class is getting squeezed from every direction, foreclosures, job loss, and what used to be money for luxuries is now going into the tank (literally).. and the refrigerator.. think about how EVERYTHING gets into stores.. on trucks.. what do trucks and trains run on? Diesel.. which went over five bucks a gallon a couple months ago.. GM, Ford, and Chrysler have a bajillion gas-gulping SUVs sitting on lots, no one wants them.. they're shutting down plants, or converting them to make more economical vehicles.. people want hybrids that get 50mpg.. but they don't want new car payments either.. the rich don't care.. they can always afford anything they want..

$1000.00 for raws and 69s by Xmas?.. who wouldn't like to see that!.. only the folks who don't own any..

guessing what these coins are gonna be selling for in six months.. no one knows.. any more than anyone knows what a gallon of gasoline will be by Xmas..
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>with an hour or so left to go, here are the current bids on the six 08/07s in tonight's TeleTrade auction.. bear in mind to those amounts, assuming they sell, the winning bidders also have to add a 12% buyer's fee, plus sales tax in CA and NY (unless their final Invoice total is over $1000.00).. plus shipping..

image >>

I'm amazed at the NGC MS70 prices....on eBay they go for $700+!!!!! image >>

If you folks were familiar with Teletrade, you'd probably have already guessed that the bids you are seeing are Dealer Reserves. I doubt that any of the MS70 coins sold.
    Make note of the auction number and lot then look that one up tomorrow.

A quick check of the prices realized shows: 2599 and 2602 sold for $550 while the remaining coins, at this time, are pending. I doubt seriously that the MS70's sold.

Edited to add: After reading your post hr, please share what the coins started out at?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    all six coins started FAR below what they were when i took that screen grab.. many hundreds less.. it didn't occur to me to take a screen grab earlier on, but i was watching them go up and up.. those 70s didn't start at $1000.00.. the 69s didn't start at over $500.00.. the four that were (pending) almost an hour ago are still (pending), so they probably didn't sell.. but like i said.. well.. i already said it..

{{slithering into the bedroom}}..

Harv
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    2008/07s dip in late Sunday auctions..prices drop to new lows for the move ..technical pattern suggests move down to 350-380 for the 69s .......soon
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, 8 hours and no Tony!

Renimage

• << <i>

<< <i>Didnt someone put in a request using the freedom of information act? If so where are we one that? >>

Lope208 said that he submitted a request back in late May.

EDIT: Heheheheh....looks like both my ebay and my wife's ebay accounts were forced to do a tutorial on "schilling". Either ebay figured it out, or someone else ratted me out (that I did that thing with my wife's account in order to take advantage of that MS Cashback program). Whew....It's a good thing that I reversed the transaction! That'll never happen again, thank God! >>

What? You were schill bidding with your wife's account, what?
    The number of coins for sale on ebay is now down to 124.

• << <i>The number of coins for sale on ebay is now down to 124. >>

The trouble with the Ebay coin auction count is that of the above available coins 68 are BIN listed at "I'll give it a shot" prices. These will be listed again at a slightly lower BIN and will skew the coins available numbers again and again. Sooooo....actual "auction" coins available is less than 60
    Thats very true, the flippers are just trying to get their money back plus a few dollars before they move on to something else. I will hold mine until at least the end of the year before making a decision on them. I still think they have a lot of upside potential and am only into them for less than $75 apiece including grading fees.

<< <i>all six coins started FAR below what they were when i took that screen grab.. many hundreds less.. it didn't occur to me to take a screen grab earlier on, but i was watching them go up and up.. those 70s didn't start at $1000.00.. the 69s didn't start at over $500.00.. the four that were (pending) almost an hour ago are still (pending), so they probably didn't sell.. but like i said.. well.. i already said it..

{{slithering into the bedroom}}..

Harv >>

I just checked the Teletrade results and only the two coins sold. For Teletrade:

"Teletrade does not enter minimums or reserves on behalf of consignors. Consignors are permitted to bid on their own coins, but they must do so by placing Buyback bids no later than one hour before the auction begins ..............."

As to whether or not the "buyback" bid registers as the highest bid at auction onset I am not certain but I have seen high "buyback" bids show up as "high bid" within an hour after the auction starts. At that point, bidding appears to stop and the coins never sell.

I am certainly not dissing this coin but trying to point out that Teletrade may not be the best venue for determining "bidding" activity for a specific item as the venue has many dealers that are simply casting lines.

Think about it, why would someone (other than the idiot that's typing this response) bid $1,050 dollars on an NGC MS70 when that same coin can be had on eBay for less than $700?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>
    I am certainly not dissing this coin but trying to point out that Teletrade may not be the best venue for determining "bidding" activity for a specific item as the venue has many dealers that are simply casting lines.

>>

eBay prices fluctuate depending on how many are listed, which are true auctions and what they start at, which are "Buy it Now"s.. sellers' feedback and shipping charges and quality of descriptions and photographs, whether it's a weekend or not.. what time of day an auction ends.. blah blah etc. etc.. there are too many variables to count.. TeleTrade is a whole 'nuther ball of wax since sellers are anonymous, can buy back their own lots, there's no feedback system, TeleTrade has possession of all the coins, and they have a non-insignificant Buyers' fee plus tax and shipping.. the people who won those two 69s for $550.00 last night sure aren't going to PAY $550.00 for them.. they're going to pay a LOT more.. same deal with Heritage whose Buyers' fee is even higher.. i don't think there IS any "best venue" to determine bidding activity or what the price of this coin is or should be from week to week.. day to day, sometimes even hour to hour.. dealers place huge display ads in CW and NN with a buy price.. you call them, and before the ink is dry, the price has changed, or they were only looking for a few.. or they say "why should i pay YOU $600.00 when i can get them on eBay for $4xx.0?" so you say "then why are you getting everyone all hot by advertising "we're buying at $600.00, when you're not?.. just go buy them on eBay then, Einstein"..

you can't nail down a baseline price on a volatile item like this based on eBay Sunday closing price results.. Sunday is the heaviest sales day of the week, and the more that're listed to close on a Sunday, the lower the prices will be, generally speaking.. some sellers are more desperate for cash (especially at the end / beginning of a month) than others are, so they'll settle for less.. some bought them raw and are selling them raw.. some had them graded and paid the toll for that.. some are re-selling slabbed coins they bought at a lower price.. i'd bet there are some in slabs that have been bought and re-sold half a dozen times.. there are probably others that got slabbed 69, that person thought it'd make 70, so they crack it out, put it back in the OGP and sell it as raw and the next guy gets it slabbed AGAIN.. which totally skews the population reports..

Harv

• Monday NGC POP's:

Total 08/07's graded is 12212 which is an increase of only 167 over the previous week and the smallest increase yet. There are either a lot of raw coins out there from the 47,000 or not as many made it to the public as reported

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 5369 3 2634 2732
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6843 1 3751 3091

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

eBay prices fluctuate depending on how many are listed, which are true auctions and what they start at, which are "Buy it Now"s.. sellers' feedback and shipping charges and quality of descriptions and photographs, whether it's a weekend or not.. what time of day an auction ends.. blah blah etc. etc.. there are too many variables to count.. TeleTrade is a whole 'nuther ball of wax since sellers are anonymous, can buy back their own lots, there's no feedback system, TeleTrade has possession of all the coins, and they have a non-insignificant Buyers' fee plus tax and shipping.. the people who won those two 69s for $550.00 last night sure aren't going to PAY $550.00 for them.. they're going to pay a LOT more.. same deal with Heritage whose Buyers' fee is even higher.. i don't think there IS any "best venue" to determine bidding activity or what the price of this coin is or should be from week to week.. day to day, sometimes even hour to hour.. dealers place huge display ads in CW and NN with a buy price.. you call them, and before the ink is dry, the price has changed, or they were only looking for a few.. or they say "why should i pay YOU $600.00 when i can get them on eBay for $4xx.0?" so you say "then why are you getting everyone all hot by advertising "we're buying at $600.00, when you're not?.. just go buy them on eBay then, Einstein"..

you can't nail down a baseline price on a volatile item like this based on eBay Sunday closing price results.. Sunday is the heaviest sales day of the week, and the more that're listed to close on a Sunday, the lower the prices will be, generally speaking.. some sellers are more desperate for cash (especially at the end / beginning of a month) than others are, so they'll settle for less.. some bought them raw and are selling them raw.. some had them graded and paid the toll for that.. some are re-selling slabbed coins they bought at a lower price.. i'd bet there are some in slabs that have been bought and re-sold half a dozen times.. there are probably others that got slabbed 69, that person thought it'd make 70, so they crack it out, put it back in the OGP and sell it as raw and the next guy gets it slabbed AGAIN.. which totally skews the population reports..

Harv >>

Agreed Harv, I just didn't want Tony to get on here all excited about the fact fact the the bids appeared to be $1,000 for those 2 MS70's as I seriously doubt he has any Teletrade experience!

IMO, those two coins amounted to an eBay BIN of $1,000 and nothing more.

The name is LEE!
  • I'm actually glad that the prices are softening. Now I get a chance to get these coins at an even better price than ever! The only question now is...should I go with the 70s? or 69s?
    70's if you can afford them, 69's are a great buy right now.

• << <i>70's if you can afford them, 69's are a great buy right now. >>

image No matter which one you buy...do it now. image

• << <i>70's if you can afford them, 69's are a great buy right now. >>

Heheheh...bought 6 69's for about $375 (after cash back) and I've just set up a deal with Chatannooga Coin Inc to sell all of them for $475 each. Also, I'm throwing in a 70 (not Early Release) for $650 (taking a loss for this one). Also, I've just put on ebay two 70's (early releases) for $789.99 each. I bought them last week for about $600 each (after cash back).

With the profits of these transactions, I could buy 3 70's (all early release) with the cash back program (it's $25% now), at about $600 each. After all's been said and done, for 3 NGC 70's, I'd be paying just $55 each.

If I were to buy one more, the avg price would be 600+165=765/4=191/each.....I might just stick with three NGC's. image

EDIT: Hm...live.com feature looks like it's gone...
    There are only 120 listings now
    58 are buy it now (half of them)
    20 will end by tonight
    You figure out the numbers
  • Trying to cancel my two buy it nows...since I can no longer replace them with a lower priced coins (with live.com cash back program), I'm gonna keep these.

EDIT: OH, nevermind. 25% Cash back is back!
    Tony, you are confusing the hell out of me with all that mumbo jumbo. Good luck!

• << <i>Tony, you are confusing the hell out of me with all that mumbo jumbo. Good luck! >>

Good Luck as well Tony!

<< <i>Tony, you are confusing the hell out of me with all that mumbo jumbo. Good luck! >>

hey pitboss.. fix yer Avatar..

• Good luck, Tony! I think we are all starting to like you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file