Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• A NGC MS-69 2008 rev 07 just sold for $825 on Direct TV Unique Coin Shopping.... and they only had 1, sigh...

Thank you for your insight Mr. Barnum.

KP
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A NGC MS-69 2008 rev 07 just sold for $825 on Direct TV Unique Coin Shopping.... and they only had 1, sigh...

Thank you for your insight Mr. Barnum.

KP >>

Buyer must have been on heavy meds!!!

Wellcome doorman292!!! image
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>a national dealer, whom i will not name, (and no, it wasn't NACT).. called me out of the blue today (he said i had bought something from him in the past.. i don't remember ever making a purchase from him on eBay, at a show, or directly.. ) .. and was offering me "at least five mixed dates" rolls of "minimum MS64 blast-white BU MorgEn DollErs from an "old hoard" for $xxx.xx each.. i'm not buying, but then i asked him if he was buying the 08/07s and told him i had a gaggle of NGC MS69 ERs and what would he offer for one?.. he sounded like he was flipping through pages of something, then he looked at eBay, and said how much do you want?.. i referred him to Coast to Coast's $600.00 buy offer in the last three issues of CW and NN and said i'd sell him one for $600.00.. he said "i can buy them for less on eBay".. i said (not in anger, just in response).. "so then go for it.. if you want one of mine, it's $600.00".. that was the end of that conversation.. >>

Hey Harv,

Maybe he got your name after you signed up for that free Red Book...

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

Hey Harv,

Maybe he got your name after you signed up for that free Red Book...

image >>

i suppose that's possible, but like i said, he wasn't calling from NACT and claimed i had bought two tubes of regular 2006 ASEs from him two years ago and that's how he had my phone number.. i had never bought anything from him.. i have a whole ONE 2006-W ASE in OGP that i bought off eBay a few months ago for a song.. (it smells like a 70 to me.. so it'll go in with my next submission whenn i can figure out what to submit).. so it's possible his story was ca-ca and NACT is sharing or selling their free Red Book-getters' list.. i didn't find his call intrusive.. he didn't try to do the hard sell on me.. i tried to do the hard sell on HIM image ..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Goldbully, hell, I AM on heavy meds (quite relaxing, I must say), but I STILL wouldnt buy it!! lol

<< <i>Goldbully, hell, I AM on heavy meds (quite relaxing, I must say), but I STILL wouldnt buy it!! lol >>

Wow, heavy meds and still a voice of reason!!!!!

I hope you recover soon and get off those meds nutz!!!!

GB
  • Good morning everybody. Anything new?

<< <i>Good morning everybody. Anything new? >>

No
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    169 auctions
    -69 59/169 34.9%
    -70 48/169 28.4
    Other 62/169 36.7
  • sent my 17 08/07 coins to ngc.... 10 came back ms70... guess i got pretty lucky with this one...

• << <i>sent my 17 08/07 coins to ngc.... 10 came back ms70... guess i got pretty lucky with this one... >>

Congratulations!! Better than 50% 70's is very good from NGC!!

<< <i>sent my 17 08/07 coins to ngc.... 10 came back ms70... guess i got pretty lucky with this one... >>

Great result andyisback! I'd sell a few off to recoup your grading fees and buy something nice for yourself, then sit pretty image
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    by the way, is anyone else like me that hasn't even really considered picking up a 70 yet? I've only got 69's
    but I suppose at some point it might behoove me to try to upgrade.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I won't lie to you as I'd love to have a 70 or 2 but I certainly will not pay the price being asked for them at this point in time.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Well, I won't lie to you as I'd love to have a 70 or 2 but I certainly will not pay the price being asked for them at this point in time. >>

Yeah, same here Lee. NGC MAYBE. And that's a big maybe. but I'm content with 69's right now. It's just one of those questions that I
    think about. Would it make sense to trade/sell a couple 69's and pick up a 70? Not today. In the future, perhaps.

Also, I'm not entirely interested in the 70 anyway, because as so many on here have shown, there's virtually NO difference in the coin itself!
  • I don't know if you'd consider this to be flipping or not, but again, I've been trying to take advantage of that Microsoft Cashback thing (it's now 17%). If I could buy 69's for $450 from ebay, $375 after cash back(from 17% Cashback), then sell them to a dealer for $500, I'd be making $125/coin (less shipping). Of course, with any deal, there's always some risk.

But unfortunately, you can't do this for 70's. Dealers just aren't so hot for them.

<< <i>I don't know if you'd consider this to be flipping or not, but again, I've been trying to take advantage of that Microsoft Cashback thing (it's now 17%). If I could buy 69's for $450 from ebay, $375 after cash back(from 17% Cashback), then sell them to a dealer for $500, I'd be making $125/coin (less shipping). Of course, with any deal, there's always some risk.

But unfortunately, you can't do this for 70's. Dealers just aren't so hot for them. >>

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'flipping' Tony and if you can pick up MS69's for $375 and sell them to a dealer for $500, just do it!

Flipping is a term that can be frowned upon by many but not this fellow! I'll do it any chance I get since there is money to be made and I am not ashamed in the least bit to be the one making it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Has anybody ordered any from the mint recently ?
    If so , any luck.........

The mint is still saying 47k , so I wonder how soon before they start releasing the rest of them............

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........

• << <i>There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'flipping' Tony and if you can pick up MS69's for $375 and sell them to a dealer for $500, just do it!

Flipping is a term that can be frowned upon by many but not this fellow! I'll do it any chance I get since there is money to be made and I am not ashamed in the least bit to be the one making it. >>

Yeah, I understand. But so often, it seems like the word "flipping" is like a dirty word or something. Anyway, at least it makes me feel good in knowing that even though I'm selling these coins to a dealer for $500, he's going to sell them for $600+. (in some weird way, because they're able to sell these coins for that amount, then I know that there's still good demand, outside of ebay).

EDIT: Just fyi, I checked both Chattanooga Coin and Coast to Coast Coin with Better Business Bureau. Chattanooga was classified as "Unsatisfactory" whereas Coast to Coast Coin was labled as "Satisfactory". This is in regard to how they resolve customer complaints. Since they're both buying coins for $500, it might be something to take into account... image

<< <i>

<< <i>There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'flipping' Tony and if you can pick up MS69's for $375 and sell them to a dealer for $500, just do it!

Flipping is a term that can be frowned upon by many but not this fellow! I'll do it any chance I get since there is money to be made and I am not ashamed in the least bit to be the one making it. >>

Yeah, I understand. But so often, it seems like the word "flipping" is like a dirty word or something. Anyway, at least it makes me feel good in knowing that even though I'm selling these coins to a dealer for $500, he's going to sell them for $600+. (in some weird way, because they're able to sell these coins for that amount, then I know that there's still good demand, outside of ebay).

EDIT: Just fyi, I checked both Chattanooga Coin and Coast to Coast Coin with Better Business Bureau. Chattanooga was classified as "Unsatisfactory" whereas Coast to Coast Coin was labled as "Satisfactory". This is in regard to how they resolve customer complaints. Since they're both buying coins for $500, it might be something to take into account... image >>

Just be careful if you do. They're bound to say "$400" next time you call to sell. May want to get a verbal agreement, but then again, that'd probably only be good
    for a day or so and if you don't have the coins in hand, you could be waiting a few days for the mail to arrive.

• << <i>Just be careful if you do. They're bound to say "$400" next time you call to sell. May want to get a verbal agreement, but then again, that'd probably only be good
    for a day or so and if you don't have the coins in hand, you could be waiting a few days for the mail to arrive. >>

Yeah, good point Lope208. I'll have to be careful...

• << <i>I don't know if you'd consider this to be flipping or not, but again, I've been trying to take advantage of that Microsoft Cashback thing (it's now 17%). If I could buy 69's for $450 from ebay, $375 after cash back(from 17% Cashback), then sell them to a dealer for $500, I'd be making $125/coin (less shipping). Of course, with any deal, there's always some risk.

But unfortunately, you can't do this for 70's. Dealers just aren't so hot for them. >>

Why would a dealer buy them from you for $500 if he could just get them on ebay for $450???

• << <i>

<< <i>I don't know if you'd consider this to be flipping or not, but again, I've been trying to take advantage of that Microsoft Cashback thing (it's now 17%). If I could buy 69's for $450 from ebay, $375 after cash back(from 17% Cashback), then sell them to a dealer for $500, I'd be making $125/coin (less shipping). Of course, with any deal, there's always some risk.

Why would a dealer buy them from you for $500 if he could just get them on ebay for $450??? >>

No, he's selling them for $599. He's got his own store. He doesn't sell thru ebay.
  • Hey, does anybody have today's issue of the Greysheet? If so, is there a bid and ask price for this coin?
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    for all of you wondering

received another order yesterday of 50 pieces from the USM

no 08/07's in the lot, zero, zilch, nada

they looked like returns, placement of the coins in each box 180 degree rotation, some upside down,

IMO no chance on getting any more from the USM

they were sent back today - returned for refund

return postage+insurance = $22 - the cost of a lottery ticket with the USM.
    Latest POPS.................................is this "error" really a rarity??????? image

• JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would a dealer buy them from you for $500 if he could just get them on ebay for $450??? >>

There are LOTS of dealers that simply "don't do ebay".

I do ebay, and yet still will often pay more for coins I need
    outside of ebay than I could buy them for on eBay because I simply don't want to mess with the whole eBay process.

I also don't want to buy a coin here, a coin there, when I could just get 10 or 20 from one source (off ebay) and be done with it...

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• << <i>Latest POPS.................................is this "error" really a rarity??????? image

image >>

Yes, in terms of ASE mintages I'd say this is a rarity, only second to the 1995 proof
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, does anybody have today's issue of the Greysheet? If so, is there a bid and ask price for this coin? >>

510B 550A

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>510B 550A >>

Thanks Kranky.image
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I am looking for 10,000 free 2008x reverse 2007 ase's if anyone wants to contribute email and I will split the millions.image

• << <i>

<< <i>Hey, does anybody have today's issue of the Greysheet? If so, is there a bid and ask price for this coin? >>

510B 550A >>

Cool, thanks kranky!
  • Go to bed Tony. image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    They must've printed this a couple days ago.

The market is volatile and thinly capitalized.

Subject to sudden change. image

• << <i>They must've printed this a couple days ago.

The market is volatile and thinly capitalized.

Subject to sudden change. image >>

Mmmmmm......perhaps....but maybe not as much as we see. I don't think that ebay may be a great indicator of the real market. It just happens to be the place where all the cheapskates go to find deals that are below retail. image

Sleep? Me??? I just got back home from a movie....well, a movie I didn't watch. This is really...unique...some woman offered to pay us $200 for our seats! So, we took the deal. image Jeez, I felt like I was in a game show or something...

EDIT: Oh, by the way, just another bit of information....the guy at Coast to Coast Coins said that getting the major albums (dansco and whitman) to include this variety will really help. Any thoughts???
    164 auctions
    -69 56/164 34.1%
    -70 46/164 28.1
    Other 62/164 37.8
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    This coin has been a great ride

I think it has legs

But my head is spinning ever since this thread has been hijacked by TonyWKoo

Repeating the same points 4-5x each or more turns me off - I know he is trying to learn, but, lighten up, give it a break, it takes time, etc, etc,

WHO HAS HAD ENOUGH OF THIS? Can you IMAGINE this going on for another 1000 posts? AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>This coin has been a great ride

I think it has legs

Repeating the same points 4-5x each or more turns me off - I know he is trying to learn, but, lighten up, give it a break, it takes time, etc, etc,

WHO HAS HAD ENOUGH OF THIS? Can you IMAGINE this going on for another 1000 posts? AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! >>

Tony, haven't you had a chance to go back and read the whole thread by now? image
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, You might wake him image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • It does seem quiet here. I love it!
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin has been a great ride

I think it has legs

WHO HAS HAD ENOUGH OF THIS? Can you IMAGINE this going on for another 1000 posts? AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! >>

let's all try to take a deep breath and do our best to keep this thread moving along; try to maintain
  • HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Suggestion: Have Tony from the Forum be a guest on the next HSN coin show when the company offers their 2008/07 ASE coins !!!!! I cannot wait !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Well, I'm glad that people are posting here again. I was getting worried last night.

crickets: (chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp......)
    HELLO....ello....ello....ello...ello
    HELLO!!!...ello....ello....ello...ello!!!

I thought I might have single handedly killed this entire thread yesterday!!!

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I might have single handedly killed this entire thread yesterday!!! >>

I don't think you will, but, with all due respect, you sure are getting under alot of people's skin!image Perhaps a "sit back & listen", "search & learn" approach would be more appropriate.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought I might have single handedly killed this entire thread yesterday!!! >>

I don't think you will, but, with all due respect, you sure are getting under alot of people's skin!image Perhaps a "sit back & listen", "search & learn" approach would be more appropriate. >>

• SaamSaam Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>received another order yesterday of 50 pieces from the USM
    no 08/07's in the lot, zero, zilch, nada
    they looked like returns, placement of the coins in each box 180 degree rotation, some upside down,
    IMO no chance on getting any more from the USM
    they were sent back. >>

So how long has it been since one of these was found in an order from the mint? The last order that I know a '07 reverse coin was found in was made on 05-07-08.
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't think you will, but, with all due respect, you sure are getting under alot of people's skin!image Perhaps a "sit back & listen", "search & learn" approach would be more appropriate. >>

image >>

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

<< <i>EDIT: Oh, by the way, just another bit of information....the guy at Coast to Coast Coins said that getting the major albums (dansco and whitman) to include this variety will really help. Any thoughts??? >>

Perhaps they will include it in their next update page but the pages for 2008 are already available so this means that possible at the soonest, you could expect to see them in 6 months or a year. It all depends upon how many update pages they've already produced and how many they want to throw away.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file