Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who has the better hair: Pete Weber or Mark Williams? Also, it says official Topps HOF rookie set. Are there any Topps bowling cards?

Sam >>

Sam,

I started out with pretty much Topps only, but then I got bored, and the rest is history........ image

Topps does have some bowling cards interspersed with other sets, but I don't know if they have a bowling issue or not. They have a nice Pete Weber in Allen & Ginter that I have autographed that's pretty nice.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs

<< <i>Schlegel, Soutar, Semiz and Petraglia were in the 1972 PBA 50 card set. >>

Thanks Bill, I'll have to pick those up then. I've seen the Petraglia autographed from that set. I watched him throw a clutch 300 on ESPN classic. Great stuff!!

Mike

<< <i>True collector, nice adds image >>

Thanks Waxpack. I'm a packrat, I love signed rookies!!

Mike
  • Do you have any idea on the number of autos you have?
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

<< <i>Do you have any idea on the number of autos you have? >>

I don't know how many total autos I have on various things, but I have around 540 or so HOF signed rookie cards in various fields. If you go to page 1 post1, you can see about 99 percent of them, I just haven't gotten around to posting them all yet and I do have a few duplicates. Warning that if you go to page 1, it takes a LONG time to load due to over 500 pictures, but it's kinda cool as long as you have a fast connection.

Mike

• << <i>

<< <i>Do you have any idea on the number of autos you have? >>

I don't know how many total autos I have on various things, but I have around 540 or so HOF signed rookie cards in various fields. If you go to page 1 post1, you can see about 99 percent of them, I just haven't gotten around to posting them all yet and I do have a few duplicates. Warning that if you go to page 1, it takes a LONG time to load due to over 500 pictures, but it's kinda cool as long as you have a fast connection.

Mike >>

Got the first page. Looks like you have two young navarro's to keep this collection going for sometime image
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• << <i><< Schlegel, Soutar, Semiz and Petraglia were in the 1972 PBA 50 card set. >>

Thanks Bill, I'll have to pick those up then. I've seen the Petraglia autographed from that set. >>

I have an extra unopened set if you want one. Yes, sadly I hve 2 sets image
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    You just collecting rookies Mike? I've got at least 1000 signed cards, but I don't specify rookie or not. A lot of times I just have sent out a card I liked. I don't send them out like I used to. The percentages have gone down. Back in the late 1980's I used to get about 65% response on NBA and MLB, about 70% NFL, and 85% NHL on active players. Gradually by the late 90's those numbers went to 35% on NBA, 50% MLB, 55% NFL, and 60% NHL. Not sure if it was the quantity of autographs or the fact that they saw them on ebay for sale and didnt like to sign anymore. Now, it is almost all retired guys when I do write, since current guys have so many certified autographs anyway. The exception will be if I have good source telling me that someone signs (for example Mark Buehrle and Drew Brees have been good signers). The other thing is that I generally like the cards the least of what I get. I love looking at the signature, and a lot of time the cards make the signatures look worse than a 3x5 or a photo.

Just some thoughts of my collection...

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

<< <i>

<< <i><< Schlegel, Soutar, Semiz and Petraglia were in the 1972 PBA 50 card set. >>

Thanks Bill, I'll have to pick those up then. I've seen the Petraglia autographed from that set. >>

I have an extra unopened set if you want one. Yes, sadly I hve 2 sets image >>

Bill,

Do you know if the HOF'ers from that set do TTM? If so, then I'd love to get one to mail some out.

Mike

• << <i>Bill,

Do you know if the HOF'ers from that set do TTM? If so, then I'd love to get one to mail some out.

Mike >>

Soutar is the only one that doesn't have any recent successes on Startiger.
    I added this one in the last week. Jack had some earlier foreign cards, IE, Barratt's (which I have autographed already) and Panini (which I hope to get soon), but I believe the 1981 Donruss Golf cards were his first American, standard sized issued cards. I've got a couple of his regular issue 81 Donruss already autographed, but I wanted to pick up the stat leader as well.

1981 Donruss Golf Jack Nicklaus Stat Leader

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mike! What the Stats Leader Nicklaus the last card that you need to complete the 81 Donruss golf set?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Greg,

Nope, I stll need Jim Simons and Ed Sneed as well

Mike
    This guy has had an interesting life. He was the only Seattle Seahawks player named to the Sporting News 100 greatest football players. He also served on the US House of Representatives, and resigned to run for Governor of Oklahoma and lost. While he might not have been one of the greatest political players, he was a heck of a football player.

1977 Topps Steve Largent PSA/DNA

A relatively tough addition. Former member of the Dream Team, and named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players through 1996. For some reason, his 86 Fleer card is very tough to find autographed. I've looked for one for over a year now and watched this one patiently on an ebay 10 day auction. Finally snagged it tonight. When Clyde signs, he sometimes signs and then puts NFS (not for sale) on his graphs. However, this one is void of that nonsense. One of the subsets in my signed rookie collection is signed Dream Team rookies, and this is my 7th. I've gotten Bird, Magic, Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Mullin and now Drexler. I still need three tough ones including Ewing, Pippen, Stockton, but the Robinson and Laettner will be relatively easy once I get around to going after them and they both sign TTM. I'm excited about this one image

1986 Fleer Clyde "The Glide" Drexler PSA/DNA

• burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Nice Drexler - I think he often signed up the card instead of across - at least the one he did for me is like that.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
    Got this one back today TTM. I remember this guy being a lot of fun to watch when I was a young boy. The way he used to scramble was different then a lot of the other guys. Made it interesting. I also remember him from being on one of my favorite TV shows "That's Incredible". HOF quarterback. Card was a PSA 3 crackout that I sent directly to Tarkenton Sports.

1962 Topps Fran Tarkenton

• benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i want a signed drexler. awesome cards!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    I've seen this one languishing in an ebay store, and I decided to put it out of it's uncertain future and give it a good home.

1983 Donruss Wade Boggs already JSA authenticated

• Nice Boggs Mike, is it already in an SGC/JSA slab? If so, it might have been mine at one time.

<< <i>Nice Boggs Mike, is it already in an SGC/JSA slab? If so, it might have been mine at one time. >>

Thanks, nope not in a slab, JSA sticker on back.

Mike
    Picked this one up. A great NBA All-Star known for his killer crossover.

1990 Fleer Tim Hardaway

Here are a couple of entertaining additions. I got Moose from a trade with DaddyMc. Moose was a great working fullback that helped propel Emmitt to an outstanding career.

William Refrigerator Perry was a highly entertaining to me character from the Bears. I was 15 or so when all the Super Bowl shuffle nonsense was going on and I enjoyed watching it immensely. These cards are from a signing with Legends Sports and have their hologram on the back.

1990 Topps Daryl "Moose" Johnston and 1986 Topps William "Refrigerator" Perry (I have 3, 2 are available for trade/sell)

This 5 time NBA All-Star's career went down hill after having his face shattered in an on court fight. However, he eventually returned as a coach and has won two NBA Championships.

1971 Topps Rudy Tomjanovich already PSA/DNA slabbed

Saw this one, did a little homework, rotated the image, and it compares very favorably to authenticated signatures. I am confident that it's real. Dominique was known as the Human Highlight Film. I think if he didn't play in the era of Jordan, that he would have been much more praised.

1986 Fleer Stickers Dominique Wilkins

Wilkins' Top Dunks
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Wilkins card
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Ah, you got a great deal on that Nique! I was watching that too and it did look good to me also,

lost track of it towards weeks end DOH! image
    Been trying to get this one for a couple months ever since one of my friends showed it to me. He finally decided to sell it to me. He got it signed in person. Has some adhesion trouble with the sig, otherwise a great piece. A Hillary rookie image

1992 Wild Card "The Hillary Factor" Hillary Rodham Clinton

Very entertaining player over the years. Picked this one up on ebay. Great sig that you can actually read.

1996 UD Collectors Choice Terrell Owens PSA/DNA

Every now and then, I'll add a card that I absolutely am ecstatic about. This is one of those occasions image Getting autographed cards from some of the athletes and entertainers, can be tough, but getting autographed rookie cards from Presidents, is typically on a whole other level. This card has already passed PSA/DNA quick opinion and my own.

1992 Wild Card Bill Clinton

This guy was really tough up until last weekend when he did a signing in MA. I got two cards done. One was a PSA 8 crackout that board member DAVEMRI gave me, and the other was a PSA 9 O/C crackout that I got off of ebay. Both turned out tremendous

1981-82 Topps Kevin McHale

Picked this one up on ebay yesterday. Football HOF'er that played every year of the AFL's existence.

1961 Topps Don Maynard PSA/DNA slabbed

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Maynard, Mike. Love the old AFL'ers!
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
    This is a fun one. Why this guy is not already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me. This was signed at a recent golf outing. The card is from the tour sheet for the 1973 Billion Dollar Babies Tour.

1973 Billion Dollar Babies Tour Sheet card Alice Cooper

Was cruising around on ebay and saw this one so I picked it up. I have two other signed rookies of this beast, but I thought it was a neat card in his college uniform with a great rookie era sig, so I picked this one up as well.

1995 Signature Rookies Warren Sapp

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice Sapp, I was thinking about getting that card signed when he had his UD signing a couple months back.
    This guy was a pretty good football player in the AFL who went on to have a long, relatively succesful policital career. Long term Congressmen, Presidential contender, and Vice Presidential Nominee.

1960 Fleer Jack Kemp PSA/DNA slabbed

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice Kemp auto! That Vincent Furnier is pretty kewl as well!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Nice Kemp auto! That Vincent Furnier is pretty kewl as well! >>

Thanks, here's a pic that my friend took of the Furnier event as well.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I know he was a big golfer back in the day ... I guess he still is.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice AFL'er! Several more that you can get from that old league... Namath, Alworth, Gillman, Stram, Buchanon, Bell, Biletnikoff, Brown, Shaw, etc.

Also a couple of wrestlers in the group in Ernie Ladd and Wahoo McDaniel.
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Mike, those McHale rookie autos are just AWESOME!!! image
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Kemp Mike image

You're lucky I didn't see it before it ended image

Steve

<< <i>Nice Kemp Mike image

You're lucky I didn't see it before it ended image

Steve >>

Steve,

Mill Creek has one if you really want one. They are good to deal with as well.

Mike
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve,

Mill Creek has one if you really want one. They are good to deal with as well.

Mike >>

Thanks Mike image

I'd actually prefer to get a 1961 or 1962 Fleer Jack Kemp that's autographed; because of the Los Angeles/San Diego difference.

Plus, I'm trying to keep my card purchases to a minimum the next few weeks due to all the catalog auctions this month (especially Heritage and REA).

To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't have bid on the Kemp you got anyway, due to that last sentence of mine. I was just bustin' yer chops for getting a card that I'd normally drool over image

Steve
    Picked this one up in a trade with JSwieton. I traded him an autographed Fridge Perry rookie for this one. This NBA Hall of Famer was lightning quick.

1971-1972 Topps Nate "Tiny" Archibald

Got a nice one. One of the greatest Notre Dame basketball players ever. Adrian used to be a great TTM signer, but I sent him one several months ago and still haven't gotten it back so I went ahead and bought this one. He had a great NBA career and had a career scoring average over 24 points per game. He is already an inductee of the basketball HOF.

1977-78 Topps Adrian Dantley

Noticed that it was the two year anniversary of the start of my signed rookie card thread. I've gotten a lot of fun out of building my collection the last two years, and I Just wanted to say thanks to all the friends I've made along the way. It's been a lot of fun sharing acquisitions, tips, stories, etc. with the board.

THANKS Y'ALL!!!!

Mike
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Happy 2nd Mike...a lot has been accomplished in a short amount of time. Congrats.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • 1300 image