Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great early rookie era sig of this slugger. I have the standard Topps 1992 Ramirez but couldn't pass up adding this one with the vintage readable sig.

1992 Topps Stadium Club Manny Ramirez PSA/DNA

Buying US Presidential autographs
    Got a nice pair TTM today. The legendary voice of Darth Vader.

1977 Topps Star Wars Darth Vader's signed by James Earl Jones

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love JEJ

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Got this one back TTM. This young lady was the poster child for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. She landed a vault on one leg to secure the gold medal for the US Womens Gymnastics Team. The most memorable sports related moment from those Olympic Games.

1992 Sports Illustrated for Kids Kerri Strug

Picked up a nice one on ebay this weekend.

1965 Topps Fred Biletnikoff PSA/DNA

I picked up this small collection of 15. Some of these guys are HOF'ers or future HOF'ers, some of them will only be in the Hall of the Very Good, and some of them I just like (and that's what counts, IE Jaworski)

I met Sully back on October 22, 2009 in Dallas. I had these cards custom made as I had hoped to get him to sign one:
    I gave him a few as a gift (you can see them in his left hand), but he would not sign one for me:
    I also tried to get him TTM, but alas, that failed as well. So I took one of the books that he signed for me and cut out the autograph and made this custom cut card for my signed rookie card collection:
    2009 Topps Custom Cut Sully Sullenberger
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Did Sully say why he wouldn't sign the card?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Greg,

Kind of, but not really a good answer, he just seemed to not to want to do it, seemed like he really didn't enjoy being in the spotlight. Most book signings I've been to, are "books only", but I've ALWAYS been able to get other things signed. The key is to keep them out of site until you are in front of the author, and they typically don't like to tell people no. I got to the signing a few hours early and was the 6th person in line. Sully shows up on time and starts signing. While he's signing my books, i reach in my pocket and pull out the cards. I tell him that I had some cards custom made, and I offer him 5 of them for he and his family, he accepts, takes them and looks at one front and back, and says "nice job, Yankees huh, thanks!" I then got my picture made with him that you see above. I then asked him that if he wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it if he'd sign a couple for my collection, I then lay another one on the table on the book, and the bookstore people immediately told him "No". He complied with them and said he couldn't do it because of them and handed it back to me unsigned. I had seen where he had entered the store, so I thought to myself, I'll just hang around afterward on the public benches by the door and get him when he leaves then. So I go sit there and read a majority of the book, eat a whole pizza that I got at a pizza shop in the same center, and hang out for another 2 hours 15 minutes. Finally, he comes out and its only him and his wife. I didn't approach him as I knew his path went right by me, and sure enough, here he comes. I ask him "Sully, would you mind signing my card now?", he stuck out his hand like he was going to grab the card, but then replied "I'm in a hurry, I can't stop." I told him, "Thanks anyways" and left.

Mike
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope that "thanks anyways" was sincere and that's how he percieved it. The last thing he needed after spending extremely valuable time out of his busy day, is to be subjected to any type of negative energy or sarcasm. I hope that his appearance was a pleasant one for him and his wife and that Borders provide a 5 star hotel as well as enough security guards and personal assistants for him. When it was over I only pray they had a limo waiting to take them to an upscale dinner before driving them to their private jet back their home. I hope you realize how fortunate you were to be in his company and he had no obligation to sign anything for you, including the book you bought. Not too mention, he went out of his way and did you a tremendous favor to pose for a photo that he didn't probably charge you for.
    EDITED OUT as I'm not going to take the bait. (ok, I took the bait initially, but spit it back out)

Mike
    I had these two signed at a private signing in early May. Unfortunately, as you can see, the silver did not have good contrast on these cards. However, the promoter has gotten me two more signed in marker, and I should have those in later this week. In the interim, here are the 2 I currently have along with a picture of the Worm from the signing.

1988 Fleer Dennis Rodman

• leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I'm not sure what the promoter was thinking... mine also came out poor - he did replace 1 of mine for free and he supplied the card.
    I remember this card being highly sought after when it came out and shortly thereafter. Mr. Robinson was one of the scarce players that actually lived up to the hype. He ended up being named as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history. He has also been extremely generous in giving back to the community in San Antonio, Texas. An exceptional man on the court, and from all indications, an exceptional person off the court as well.

1989 Hoops David Robinson PSA/DNA

I picked this one up off of an ebay counteroffer. This postcard came out a year prior to Bush's 1990 Topps issue. From the Perez Steele series. Although both the card and the slab identify him as George W. Bush, this is George H.W. Bush, the 41st President.

1989 Perez Steele President George H.W. Bush PSA/DNA

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭
    nice rodmans

where was he signing?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>nice rodmans

where was he signing? >>

Fred,

I'm not sure where the actual signing took place as it was a private signing. However, the promoter was IndyAutographs out of Indianapolis, IN.

Mike
    1) I just didn't understand the comment that "he didn't give a good reason." I was taught from the members here that no athlete/celebrity owes anyone any type of reason of whether they'll sign or not. They taught me that you are not owed an explaination nor should you question why someone will or will not sign and to smile and be positive no matter what. Am I right or wrong?

2) Also, You should only be so fortunate that you DID receive an autograph, since he was NOT OBLIGATED to sign anything for you. He went well out of his way and spent valuable time out of his day to provide you with a signature, when he could have easily refused. He even gave you a book out of the goodness of his heart.

3) Plus, on top of that...you gave him something extra to sign that was related to the most stressful and darkest day of his life. The memories that he endured that afternoon I'm sure give him nightmares to this day. Most people would need counseling after dealing with a situation like that and the feelings he experience that day can only be described as dreadful. You might as well of asked Scott Norwood to sign something related to SB25. Of course, Norwood has no problem signing anything "wide right"....for $$$.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) I just didn't understand the comment that "he didn't give a good reason." I was taught from the members here that no athlete/celebrity owes anyone any type of reason of whether they'll sign or not. They taught me that you are not owed an explaination nor should you question why someone will or will not sign and to smile and be positive no matter what. Am I right or wrong?

2) Also, You should only be so fortunate that you DID receive an autograph, since he was NOT OBLIGATED to sign anything for you. He went well out of his way and spent valuable time out of his day to provide you with a signature, when he could have easily refused. He even gave you a book out of the goodness of his heart.
    >>

Get off your high horse. Sully was promoting his book and agreed to sign the book for anyone who paid money for it. It was an obligation for which Sully himself agreed. Once you decide to utilize your celebrity for profit and personal gain, and you make commitments to people -- you should keep them. He did not go well out of his way -- I am sure that the Borders or Barnes & Noble that he was signing at was on the way to the bank to cash his royalty check and advances from the publishing company.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

<< <i>

<< <i>1) I just didn't understand the comment that "he didn't give a good reason." I was taught from the members here that no athlete/celebrity owes anyone any type of reason of whether they'll sign or not. They taught me that you are not owed an explaination nor should you question why someone will or will not sign and to smile and be positive no matter what. Am I right or wrong?

>>

Get off your high horse. Sully was promoting his book and agreed to sign the book for anyone who paid money for it. It was an obligation for which Sully himself agreed. Once you decide to utilize your celebrity for profit and personal gain, and you make commitments to people -- you should keep them. He did not go well out of his way -- I am sure that the Borders or Barnes & Noble that he was signing at was on the way to the bank to cash his royalty check and advances from the publishing company. >>

Amen brother.

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>
    3) Plus, on top of that...you gave him something extra to sign that was the most stressful and darkest day of his life. The memories that he endured that afternoon I'm sure give him nightmares to this day. Most people would need counseling after dealing with a situation like that and the feelings he experience that day can only be described as dreadful. You might as well of asked Scott Norwood to sign something related to SB25. Of course, Norwood has no problem signing anything "wide right"....for $$$. >>

Now I remember, you were the person that had an issue with Scott Norwood because he wouldn't sign something related to what many people would perceive to be one of the worst moments of his career.

cubfan89's Scott Norwood thread

Go ahead and stir the pot for fun, have at it, it will at least provide me a little entertainment in some form.

Take care,

Mike
    Correct me if I wrong, but aren't you the person who had an issue with "Sully" because he wouldn't sign something related to what many people would perceive to be one of the worst moments of his career.

I guess we're a both a little insane then.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct me if I wrong, but aren't you the person who had an issue with "Sully" because he wouldn't sign something related to what many people would perceive to be one of the worst moments of his career.

I guess we're a both a little insane then. >>

No, it's just you. There's maybe one person (you) in the world who would see it as one of Sully's WORST moments. You're a lunatic. He saved the lives of all the passengers with skill and quick thinking, and you're calling it a bad day for him because a bird flew into the engine? You're a nut, a complete nut.

<< <i>Correct me if I wrong, but aren't you the person who had an issue with "Sully" because he wouldn't sign something related to what many people would perceive to be one of the worst moments of his career.

Ok, consider yourself "corrected" then. Do you read anything at all where I said anything negative about Sully for not signing his card. However, you on the other hand, described Norwood in your thread as being ignorant, rude, and a jerkoff.

I don't have any way to gauge your entire being, so I don't know how insane you are, so I don't know if you are correct about you being a "little" insane. As far as I know, you might be a little, a lot, somewhere in between, none, or completely off the charts. I can tell you though, that I AM a little insane, for collecting signatures of other humans with flaws on small cardboard items, and for wasting time responding to your drivel.

Take care,

Mike
    Those moments that afternoon were the most stressful and traumatic of his life. He said so himself on GGA.

You're calling it a bad day for Norwood cause a football he kicked didn't go to where he wanted it? Nobody life was on the line. Right?

Sully, had many people counting on him. Well over 100 human lives were on the line. Right.

I wonder who had a darker day?
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those moments that afternoon were the most stressful and traumatic of his life. He said so himself on GGA.

You're calling it a bad day for Norwood cause a football he kicked didn't go to where he wanted it? Nobody life was on the line. Right?

Sully, had many people counting on him. Well over 100 human lives were on the line. Right.

I wonder who had a darker day? >>

Sully was at a book signing, capitalizing on the fame of his "dark day." There's a big difference than asking Norwood to sign something on his own time and that he wasn't out promoting for a fee... However, as we learned previously, you only see things the way that you expect them to be. You should be a Pujols fan . . . you have the perfect attitude to fit in with the rest of the jock sniffers.
    I'll admit I used some unprofessional words before about Norwood. I am sorry if it offended anyone or any children read it. There is no doubt Mike was disappointed and had an "issue" with Sully not giving him "a good reason" for not signing. There is no question Mike was not happy when it wasn't singed and felt a bit cheated.

Another lie...Mike said Sully seemed to not like the attention or the spotlight and that could be part of the "reason" why he couldn't sign the card. If Sully truly was those things, he wouldn't have gone to the bookstore in the first place. He wouldn't have never done interview after interview and instead would have stayed low key from Day One. The fact is Sully, like most humans, loves all the attention, cameras, handshakes and free meals....and, you guessed it, autograph requests he gets. The only real reason he could not have signed Mike's card is Money and maybe a bit of Ego. The statement he gave "I can't, I'm in a hurry" can't be true. Was there a fire in the mall? It would have taken him Literally less than 2 seconds to sign the "S & squiggly lines" he calls a signature. For crying out loud, the guy doesn't even sign his full name....just his NiCkNAME. He had to have remembered Mike and you would think Sully would think, "Geez, this nice fan of mine took time away from his family and came to the bookstore to see me. He even gave me some neat cards as a nice gift.... is still here several hours later after my appearance and asked me nicely if I could sign a card for him. Wow, he must really like and admire me. I think I can spare less than 2 seconds for a fine American fellow like him." But for some "reason" he didn't.

<< <i>I'll admit I used some unprofessional words before about Norwood. I am sorry if it offended anyone or any children read it. There is no doubt Mike was disappointed and had an "issue" with Sully not giving him "a good reason" for not signing. There is no question Mike was not happy when it wasn't singed and felt a bit cheated.

Another lie...Mike said Sully seemed to not like the attention or the spotlight and that could be part of the "reason" why he couldn't sign the card. If Sully truly was those things, he wouldn't have gone to the bookstore in the first place. He wouldn't have never done interview after interview and instead would have stayed low key from Day One. The fact is Sully, like most humans, loves all the attention, cameras, handshakes and free meals....and, you guessed it, autograph requests he gets. The only real reason he could not have signed Mike's card is Money and maybe a bit of Ego. The statement he gave "I can't, I'm in a hurry" can't be true. Was there a fire in the mall? It would have taken him Literally less than 2 seconds to sign the "S & squiggly lines" he calls a signature. For crying out loud, the guy doesn't even sign his full name....just his NiCkNAME. He had to have remembered Mike and you would think Sully would think, "Geez, this nice fan of mine took time away from his family and came to the bookstore to see me. He even gave me some neat cards as a nice gift.... is still here several hours later after my appearance and asked me nicely if I could sign a card for him. Wow, he must really like and admire me. I think I can spare less than 2 seconds for a fine American fellow like him." But for some "reason" he didn't. >>

Take care,

Mike
  • cubfan = DBOTW material??

<< <i>cubfan = DBOTW material?? >>

Nah, he was just bustin' my chops for bustin' his in an old thread. It's all good image

Mike
    Shawny..don't no what dbotw means.

I do respect the man for his calmness under pressure in helping the people on the plane to safety. I thought he should have been commended for it even though some people debated me that he was just doing his job. The simple fact remains is the man is a former pilot. That's it. I would be willing to bet that you can walk up to 1,000 people in this country and 999 will not know who he is when you say his name. He should be more humble and not be listening to these morons hanging around him now telling him how great he is. There no excuse why he couldn't sign Mike's card and when I originally read his post..it made me feel bad for Mike seeing he wasted his time..... but almost made me want to puke, reading how Sully reacted.
  • honestly i think more people know who is than you think, and he was not rude to mike and just said no. It's his perogative.
    It is his perogitive, but why not sign it. He knew Mike had spent several hours before and after the appearance, to get the card signed. Mike also gave him several cards for free to distribute to family members. Why lie to Mike and say "I'm in a hurry. Can't stop" What was so urgent that he couldn't stop? Did he have a fellow pilot on his cell he was coaching an emergency landing to in the Hudson? Can't stop for 1.8 seconds to sign a card after a fan spent hours of his time to obtain it for his collection? That's just rude.
    This guy played pro football for 10 seasons, but is much more known for a HOF broadcasting career. The voice of many of the NFL's finest moments.

1955 Bowman Pat Summerall PSA/DNA

Special thanks to John AKA JSWIETON. John sent me this for my collection.

1981 Topps Dan Hampton

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    i call the next hampton
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

No, it's just you. There's maybe one person (you) in the world who would see it as one of Sully's WORST moments. You're a lunatic. He saved the lives of all the passengers with skill and quick thinking, and you're calling it a bad day for him because a bird flew into the engine? You're a nut, a complete nut. >>

Have to agree, you appear completely on your own and trying to take Mike's thread is a down direction. Start your own thread to bash people if you would like, but lets not try to crash on the better threads on this board.

And as you were told multiple times, Norwood will not sign "Wide Left" even for money. He did ONE time. Which I am pretty sure was for charity. How is that hard for you to understand. If you have any reference where I can get Norwood to sign "Wide Left" for me, please provide it....otherwise, just let it go, and stop repeating a falsehood. That thread did not make you look good.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, I've said this on many occasions, but this is my favorite thread on these boards. I love catching up from time to time on all your new additions. I would love to see you present your entire autograph collection on a website or something like that. Well done!
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Mike, I've said this on many occasions, but this is my favorite thread on these boards. I love catching up from time to time on all your new additions. I would love to see you present your entire autograph collection on a website or something like that. Well done! >>

I agree 100% - I'd love to see you start an autograph website.
    As a lifelong fan of college football, I saw this one and had to grab it. Besides being a Heisman Trophy winner, Blanchard was part of 3 National Championships at Army. In 1946, at Yankee Stadium, Army played Notre Dame in one of the legendary games of college football. Johnny Lujack, best known as Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, made a game saving open field one on one tackle on Blanchard. The battle between the two college football juggernauts ended at 0-0, and the Irish went on to win the AP National Championship that year, and Army took 2nd. Blanchard was drafted in the 1st round as the 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft in 1946. However, his initial request for a furlough to play in the NFL was denied, and he enjoyed a career as a fighter pilot instead.

1955 Topps All-American Doc Blanchard

This isn't a rookie, but is a Ricky instead. This is a custom card created by board user AUPT (Bob Lemke). I've wanted one of these signed ever since I saw Stown's quest to get a signed one (which he did complete). Make sure you read the back and you'll see why it's a doobage card. This was signed this past Sunday at Gameday Connexion in Grapevine, TX.

Ricky Williams custom card

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Great job image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    that is funny....did Ricky see the back?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that is funny....did Ricky see the back? >>

Ricky went to Texas... He can't read!
  • Nice cards Mike! Saw the ESPN 30/30 on Ricky Williams a couple weeks ago, very insightful, I could completely relate to the guy on many levels except that where he has smokage I have JD. To each their own I guess.
    Picked up a nice one from my favorite in person grapher, Jeserone. Jes got this signed a few weeks ago at a golf tourney.

2001 Topps Gallery Drew Brees

Nice fb pickups lately Mike. I especially love the Summerall.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Mike, great additions. PM sent

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    If you are Cleveland fan, then this guy needs no introduction, but if you aren't, then these Wikipedia excerpts will introduce you to Mel:

Melvin Leroy Harder (October 15, 1909 — October 20, 2002), nicknamed "Chief", was an American right-handed starting pitcher and coach in Major League Baseball who played his entire career with the Cleveland Indians. He spent 36 seasons overall with the Indians, as a player from 1928 to 1947 and as one of the game's most highly regarded pitching coaches from 1949-63. He set franchise records for wins (223), games started (433) and innings pitched (3426-1/3) which were later broken by Bob Feller, and still holds the club record of 582 career games pitched; he was among the American League's career leaders in wins (9th), games (8th) and starts (10th) when he retired. He was also an excellent fielder, leading the AL in putouts four times, then a record.

And here's an excerpt from Baseball Reference

Pitcher Mel Harder spent his entire career of twenty years with the Cleveland Indians and made the All-Star team four times. Over his career, he pitched 13 innings in the All-Star Game and never gave up an earned run. In the 1934 All-Star Game, he pitched 5 innings, giving up a single hit.

He was in the top ten in the league in ERA six times in his career, all during the 1930s; he led the league in 1933 with a 2.95 ERA. He was also in the top ten in the league in wins six times in his career, also all during the 1930s.

Harder was the starting pitcher when the Indians played their first game at Municipal Stadium on July 31, 1932, a 1-0 loss to Lefty Grove of the Philadelphia Athletics in front of a crowd of more than 70,000. Sixty one years later, he also threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the ballpark's final game on October 3, 1993. In 1940, he was one of the leaders of the player revolt against manager Ossie Vitt. Slugger Hal Trosky was supposed to present the players' case against Vitt to owner Alva Bradley, but had to go suddenly to his home in Iowa to attend to an illness in his family; Harder, who was universally respected by his teammates, acted in his stead but failed to convince Bradley to dismiss his manager. Word of the meeting then leaked out in the press and the Indians became known as the "Cry-Babies".

Mel's playing career lasted so long that he was on the Cleveland Indians in 1928 along with Deadball Era veterans "Tioga" George Burns and Lew Fonseca, and after World War II in 1947 he was still on the Indians, with the young Larry Doby and Al Rosen, as well as Bob Feller. Then, having stayed with the Indians as pitching coach, he was still around in 1963 when "Sudden" Sam McDowell was a young player. His peak years were in the early and mid 1930s, when Earl Averill was the hitting star. With 223 wins to his name, Harder has won more games than any Cleveland pitcher other than Bob Feller. Even before he formally became a pitching coach, during his last years as an active pitcher, he worked hard with Bob Lemon to convert him from a position player into a Hall of Fame pitcher; Bob Feller, Early Wynn and Mike Garcia, all of whom achieved great success pitching in Cleveland, also praised the help Harder gave them when they first played with the Indians. Joe DiMaggio had much trouble hitting him. Harder was nearsighted and wore glasses.

After his playing career ended, he was the Indians pitching coach from 1948 to 1963 and also went 3-0 in two separate stints as the club's interim manager. He was the pitching coach under manager Al Lopez when the Indians racked up a then-record 111 wins in 1954. He later held coaching positions with the New York Mets (1964), Chicago Cubs (1965), Cincinnati Reds (1966-1968), and Kansas City Royals (1969).

He is currently # 68 on the list of career leaders for pitching wins, tied with Paul Derringer, and one win behind two Hall of Famers, Jim Bunning and Catfish Hunter. One of the most similar players to Harder, according to the similarity scores method, is a recent player, Jerry Reuss. There was a push to have Mel Harder elected to the Hall of Fame in the 1990s, when he was still alive and the Veterans Committee still functioned as a small, largely unaccountable club; the effort did not reach fruition before the Committee was disbanded. However, his name still comes up in discussions of players to be considered for future induction in the Hall.

Harder died at age 93 in 2002, in his adopted hometown of Chardon, OH. His ashes were scattered over Mel Harder Field, the local baseball diamond that was named after him.

1934 Goudey Mel Harder PSA/DNA

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    WTG, Very cool!!