Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Instead of continuing to post single threads whenever I add one, I'm taking some of the members' advice and making one big thread. I've begun to collect signed Topps HOF rookies, and signed rookies of other baseball legends that I feel should be there as well, IE, Rose, McGwire, Jim Rice, Frank Thomas, Bonds, Clemens,etc. (I'm not here to debate their merit or lack thereof for getting in the Hall) I'm also collecting the signed rookies of the true legends of the other sports, IE, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jordan, Montana, Woods. Some of these are really hard to get, as their raw cards are quite pricey, but that gives me a long term goal. I'm using all avenues to pursue the collection, ebay purchases, direct purchases, TTM, trading, etc., eventually, they'll all be in either PSA/DNA or JSA/BGS slabs as I think that will enhance their value down the line.

Here are the ones that I've gotten so far:

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    WOW!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm not an auto guy but I gotta say that's a pretty impressive collection.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Today's mail brought another Fergie Jenkins ( I didn't have one when I sent him the card last week, but I subsequently got a great deal on an already slabbed one so I bought that one as well, now I have 2) . I sent him the card and a $25.00 check on 4/4 and got it back today 4/12. I asked him to sign it Ferguson Fergie Jenkins and he complied. Thanks Fergie!! I put the scan in the picture area up top. If you wish to write him, the address I used was:

The Great Fergie Jenkins
    PMB # 430
    3655 W. Anthem Way, Suite A109
    Anthem, AZ 85086

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Not sure which one is more amazing. Love the Jordan, but the Pete is dang nice, too. Heck, they are all sweet!

Nice stuff, Mike. I mainly collect autos, so this stuff is right up my alley.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome collection. Love the Jordan.

Shane

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Nice cards. I tried to go back and look at each one and couldn't narrow it down to one favorite. Do you have a favorite, Mike?
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I don't really have a clear cut favorite, but I do have a fondness for the Jordan. As far as the baseball ones go, I'm kinda partial to the Ryan's since they started this mess and I got them in person. Once I get an Aaron, that will be my favorite.

Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very cool collection.
    congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Added Bruce Sutter, Earl Weaver, and Sparky Anderson last night and today thanks to ebay.

Mike
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. Where did you find that Jordan (and how much if you don't mind)
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    i thought about doing this myself a year or so ago, but decided i was not that into autos to invest the type of money and time to complete the project. i laud you for your efforts. keep posting your recent purchases/finds.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Mike!

imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Great thread. Where did you find that Jordan (and how much if you don't mind)
    John >>

Hi John,

I found the Jordan from an ebay listing that had ended unsold, but we negotiated outside of ebay. Cost me $1525.00 and is by far the most expensive of the ones pictured. By the time I get a nice Aaron though, that one may come close, I sure did want the 54 Aaron that a fellow board member was selling a couple days ago (JHPFunk) in PSA 7 and I would have gotten that one signed and had a gorgeous signed Aaron as my cornerstone, but he wouldn't do a layaway for me so I had to pass.

I got a couple more today that I'll add scans later tonight, a Rollie Fingers, and a Jose Canseco (the Canseco is Donruss but I added it anyway as that was one of the cards that I always wanted when I was 16 but never could pull it from a pack, and I know he won't make the Hall, but to me he is a HOF).

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Thats some very nice cards you got there!

Love the Jordan rookie image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Scans of Canseco and Rollie Fingers added. The address I used for Rollie Fingers was:

The Great Rollie Fingers
    PO Box 230729
    Las Vegas, NV 89123

He gets a $10.00 donation and turnaround time was 10 days. Good luck!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I sure did want the 54 Aaron that a fellow board member was selling a couple days ago (JHPFunk) in PSA 7 >>

How in the world did you ever know JHPhunk was selling a 1954 Aaron?

All kidding aside, your collection is looking GREAT; nothing like awesome sigs on awesome cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I sure did want the 54 Aaron that a fellow board member was selling a couple days ago (JHPFunk) in PSA 7 >>

How in the world did you ever know JHPhunk was selling a 1954 Aaron?

All kidding aside, your collection is looking GREAT; nothing like awesome sigs on awesome cards. >>

Thanks for the help on the McGwire, I wouldn't have bought it without your assistance on determining authenticity. I'm stoked right now, just picked up the Ripken rookie on ebay for way less than what he charges to sign through Ironclad Authentics and it's already slabbed PSA/DNA. Scan added above.

Mike
  • Options
    Today's mail yielded a nice Edward Charles Whitey Ford, HOF 74 inscription on a 53 Topps that was previously a PSA 3. I asked him to sign his full name and he oblidged me. Cost me $35 donation, and the great thing, is when I checked my online banking this AM, I pulled up an image of the check, and he endorsed the back of the check as "Edward Whitey Ford" so when my checks get returned in my bank statement, I've got another neat one.

Address used was:

The Great Whitey Ford
    3750 Galt Ocean Dr.
    # 1411
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

• Options
    Picked up 2 Roger Clemens signed 85 Topps. Added them to the scans section on page 1.

Got my first denial today. I had shipped that nice 55 Killebrew Topps rookie to him and a check for $30.00. He returned it unsigned today and included a brochure that says his autographs on flats are $50.00. Since I do need him, I put it right back into the mail with a $50.00 check this time. Hopefully this time since I paid the proper fee, he'll take care of business. Kinda irks me that he just sent it back, all he had to do was send me a note telling me to send him twenty more dollars and I would have sent it to him immediately or simply called for 10 seconds as my phone number was in there as well. Instead, it's just wasted time and another set of postage I had to buy.

Mike
  • Options
    Love the cards Mike. I didn't see you answer this directly, so I was wondering - do you have any plans for displaying all these cards once you finish your signed rookie collection? Such a fine collection deserves to be admired image. Anyways, great idea and I love checking the thread. Keep up the good work!
  • Options

<< <i>Love the cards Mike. I didn't see you answer this directly, so I was wondering - do you have any plans for displaying all these cards once you finish your signed rookie collection? Such a fine collection deserves to be admired image. Anyways, great idea and I love checking the thread. Keep up the good work! >>

I will be displaying them somehow, just not sure in what method yet. I've seen some beautiful displays where very large frame and mat jobs with each card in it, but the problem with that is it does not leave room for future expansion. I might do some smaller frame and mat jobs with up to 10 cards in each, and that way I can just add another one when needed. Make them all cherry wood with nice cloth mats.

Another option I'm thinking about is those long coffe curio type tables that I could place them in the curio compartments under glass and display them that way.

And my final option is a corner free standing display case with multiple shelves and built in lighting.

Whatever method I use, it will have to complement my home at that time. My family has been in a small starter home since my wife and I married in 1993, and we'll finally have it paid off in 21 more monthly payments, then we will be selling it and getting a really nice place for us and our two kids. We haven't been too concerned over the years in making sure our stuff "matches" our decor, since we've planned to not be here much longer, but once we get our new place, it will have to be incorporated. Most of my stuff now is in a storage shed or stacked around our house, it will be nice to finally get a chance to decorate!!

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Picked up a couple more the last couple of days. HOF'er Wade Boggs, and hopefully future HOF'er Andre Dawson. Scans added on page 1. Hopefully if things go well the next few days, I'll have some neat ones to add mid next week.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Love the display ideas. I'm also currently in a starter home with my wife, and when we upgrade to a larger house and I have more room I'd like to display everything in the basement. I've seen guys who have home-made bars in their basements, which got me thinking of possibly making a home-made bar which would also be a giant display case. I'd like to feature my HOF rookie card collection - which I've been slowly working on - in a display, and I think putting the collection underneath a bar would look great. Not sure if that description makes much sense, but I think you get the general idea. However you decide to display your collection, I'm sure it will look great. Look forward to seeing your new updates.
  • Options
    Added Killebrew tonight from an off ebay purchase. Has back damage but front displays well. Also have a really nice Killebrew at his foundation so that one should be back anytime this week. Scan of signed damaged one added on page 1.

Mike
  • Options
    Added two from entirely different ends of the spectrum today. Brooks Robinson and Barry Bonds. Scans on page 1
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I love that whitey ford, and THANKS for posting the auto information!!!

I have a 60 topps that I can't wait to get signed, if you hadn't posted yours I never would have gotten around to it.

jim
  • Options
    No problem Jim, be sure and post a scan of the Ford when you get it back!!! He's got a quick turnaround. Posted scans on page 1 of another Eddie Murray I picked up and a 1983 Ryne Sandberg, and a nice 1961 Billy Williams, the collection is growing nicely.

Mike
  • Options
    Just added The Big Unit, Randy Johnson. Purchased from a fellow board member. Scan on page 1.

Mike
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just added The Big Unit, Randy Johnson. Purchased from a fellow board member. Scan on page 1.

Mike >>

Just noticed the thread; great work Mike, and glad I could contribute to it in a small way. Good luck!
    Scott
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup on the "Whitey" Mike.

Doing TTM's makes going to the mailbox an adventure!
    Thanx for the scan - great card to have signed!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Great Stuff Mike !
    Did you ask whitey to sign his full name like that ?

• Options

<< <i>Great Stuff Mike !
    Did you ask whitey to sign his full name like that ? >>

Yes, I specifically asked for him to sign like that. I thought it would be cool to have something different.

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Scans added on page 1 for future HOF'ers, Lee Smith and Tom Glavine.

Mike
  • Options
    Added scan of Chipper Jones. Y'all think he'll be a HOF'er?

Mike
  • Options
    Scans added for my new addition. 1974 Topps Dave Winfield

• Options
    I made exceptions to my Topps only "rule" today. One was for the card that got a lot of people excited in the hobby and symbolized the birth of Upper Deck, a Ken Griffey, Jr. signed rookie, and the other is a 1989 Donruss (Topps didn't have a card of Schilling that year) signed rookie of the warrior Curt Schilling.

Also received today in the mail directly from Harmon, a Killer Killebrew rookie!!

Scans in first post.
  • Options
    Great stuff you got here Mike!

Thank you for sharing the pics and the addresses too, very nice of you.

Giovanni
  • Options
    Just picked up a nice Sandy Koufax from tonights Mastro auction. Scan added to 1st page. Pricey, but worth it. If he signs the one I sent him now, I'll have that one available.

Mike
  • Options
    Added Robin Yount today. Scan added.

Mike
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Mike

Love the collection you are building. Great looking cards. I got back a couple of cards from PSA today that I do not see represented in your collection yet and I thought I would let them visit some of the other HOF friends.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options

<< <i>Mike

Love the collection you are building. Great looking cards. I got back a couple of cards from PSA today that I do not see represented in your collection yet and I thought I would let them visit some of the other HOF friends.

>>

Hi,

I actually got a Carter today in the mail from his foundation. I've been in a theater play tonight though and haven't had time to add it. I'll add it tomorrow to my thread. Nice Perez, I currently have one out to him right now, do you want to sell that one? If so, what do you want for it?

TAke care,

Mike
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Mike

Congrats on the Carter, that is how I got mine. The Perez I am keeping, hope you get it back but he is tough. Good luck.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Just added HOFer Gary Carter to the image post on page 1. I got it directly via the Gary Carter Foundation. For those fans that want Gary's signature on an item they own - please send a check payable to "The Gary Carter Foundation" or payment info with the item. The cost of the autograph plus hologram is $25.00, plus $15.00 for additional inscriptions. Fans should also send along a return envelope or add the cost of postage to their payment.

The Gary Carter Foundation

560 Village Blvd, Suite 260

West Palm Beach, FL 33409

Take care,

Mike

This weekend I have four rookies at a couple shows getting signed. Juan Marichal, Orlando Cepeda, Jim Bunning and Mike Schmidt, so I should have some nice additions to post soon. I also got a return to sender from Phil Niekro yesterday. I"m sending it right back out as many people have gotten him on subsequent tries.
  • Options
    Also added today a player that I admired, but he may not make it to the Hall, may have to be a veteran's selection one day, Donnie Baseball himself, Don Mattingly. Scan in post 1.
  • Options
    A few of you have asked for addresses where the players sign for a fee so I thought I'd post these 10. Please note that while they accept items year 'round, some of them only sign periodically so it might take a while to get your item signed. For instance, Brett Bro's told me that George signs once a year, but they gather items year round for him.

Good luck!!

Mike
    Rollie Fingers
    PO Box 230729
    Las Vegas, NV 89123
    $10.00 fee

Fergie Jenkins
    PMB #430
    3655 W. Anthem Way, Suite A109
    Anthem, AZ 85086
    $25.00 fee

Johnny Bench Enterprises
    3899 Ridgedale Dr.
    Cincinnati, OH 45247
    $40.00 fee (money order only)

Gaylord Perry
    c/o All Sports USA
    PO Box 489
    Spruce Pine, NC 28777
    $25.00 fee

Harmon Killebrew Foundation
    PO Box 14550
    Scottsdale, AZ 85267
    $50.00 fee

Brooks Robinson
    The Dugoutzone
    9210 Baltimore National Pike
    Ellicott City, MD 21042
    $25.00 fee

George Brett
    c/o Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    9516 E. Montgomery Ave.
    Suite 14
    Spokane Valley, WA 99206-4121
    $50.00 donation to ALS

Whitey Ford
    3750 Galt Ocean Dr. #1411
    Fort Lauderdale FL 33308
    $35.00 donation to Edward Ford Trust

Gary Carter Foundation
    560 Village Blvd, Suite 260
    West Palm Beach, FL 33409
    $25.00 donation

Nolan Ryan Foundation
    2925 South Bypass 35
    Alvin, TX 77511
    $35.00 donation

• Options
    Today's mail brought me future HOF Bert Blyleven. Cost me $10.00 donation. Thanks Bert!! Scan posted.

Mike