Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I had that Mattingly on watched items and saw you bought it. Congrats ! Did you happen to see the 84 Donruss that was up a few days ago ??

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, I had that Mattingly on watched items and saw you bought it. Congrats ! Did you happen to see the 84 Donruss that was up a few days ago ?? >>

Yep, I was bidding on that Donruss Mattingly but I wasn't willing to bid enough to win on it. My max was set at $60 something and if I remember correctly it went for over $150!!! Was a nice looking card though and if I had been collecting Donruss then I would have pulled the trigger.

One that I seem to not be able to find already signed, although he is signing at a show soon where I'll get him, is a Don Sutton rookie card signed, also still haven't found a Stargell or Catfish Hunter.

Take care,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    One that I seem to not be able to find already signed, although he is signing at a show soon where I'll get him, is a Don Sutton rookie card signed, also still haven't found a Stargell or Catfish Hunter.

Take care,

Mike >>

There was a PSADNA stargell on eBay sometime last year. I really wanted it, but couldn't afford it. It went in the $300s
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Today must be potential HOF day for me. Added two more tonight, Tim Raines and Jack Morris "the winningest pitcher of the 80's) Scans added.
  • Options
    Added another Nolan Ryan signed rookie today, direct from his foundation.

Mike
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Got to say I love this thread and the pics. Keep them coming!
  • Options

<< <i>Got to say I love this thread and the pics. Keep them coming! >>

Thanks! Here's a pickup I made a few minutes ago. Carlton Fisk - scan in first post.

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Not a Topps, but since he may win #350 tonight, I thought it was an appropriate time to add him, Greg Maddux. Scan in first post

Mike
  • Options
    A legend of another sport, Hockey great Wayne Gretzky, not a Topps, but an OPC signed rookie. It was listed on ebay and I ran a PSA/DNA quick opinion on it, and it came back "Likely Genuine" so I made an offer and we went from there. Haven't seen a whole lot of these, tough card. That puts me at 50% completion for my Hockey portion as I also want to pick up a Mario Lemiuex (sp?). Neat addition that will join its non-baseball brother Michael Jordan in my collection. Scan on page one.
  • Options
    Added Mike Schmidt today. Signed at a signing last weekend through Kronbear Sports Promotions. image
  • Options
    Added Bill Mazeroski a few minutes ago. Thanks Oaktown!

• Options
    Added Ozzie Smith tonight. Autograph is light so undoubtedly, this one is just a filler until I find a nicer example. It was priced right so I went ahead and got it.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike.

Are you planning to have the others sign the Schmidt RC? It's a superb card and sig!

Good luck.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Mike.

Are you planning to have the others sign the Schmidt RC? It's a superb card and sig!

Good luck.
    mike >>

Mike,

No, I won't be having the others sign it. If I did, then the complete freak part of me would take over and I'd have to get all the other rookies that I have with multiple players on them signed as well. It's kinda hard enough project chasing the HOF'ers, don't want to start having to get the other guys too. image

Added another Yount signed rookie today, gives me an extra one to use for trading.

Mike
  • Options
    What would you want to trade for it ?/

You're a frickin mad-man on the rookie auto scene my man ! Keep up the good work. image

• Options

<< <i>What would you want to trade for it ?/

You're a frickin mad-man on the rookie auto scene my man ! Keep up the good work. image >>

I'd like to use my extras to trade for ones I still need that aren't currently scheduled to sign at a show in the near future.

Right now, I currently have (or they are on the way) extras of 1968 Nolan Ryan, 1978 Eddie Murray, 1955 Harmon Killebrew, 1987 Fleer Greg Maddux, 1975 Robin Yount, 1990 Frank Thomas, and 1966 Fergie Jenkins.

signed ones that I'd like to get in trade (and I realize some of these would require additional cash on my part) are:

1954 Aaron, 1954 Banks, 1952 Wilhelm, 1963 Stargell, 1967 Seaver (wouldn't mind an unsigned either as he does several shows) , 1975 Brett (signs through Brett Bro's but only once a year) , 1985 Puckett, 1981 Joe Montana, 1972 Dr. J

Mike

(I currently have a potential pending trade for a 54 Aaron signed that involves my extra 68 Ryan, so that one is not available right now, unless that deal ends up falling through)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your "trade" extras are pretty darn impressive Mike!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Added a nice one tonight. 1975 Topps George Brett, that completes the decade of the 70's for me. I actually lost the card on ebay as I didn't correctly understand how the one click feature works and I was using that to bid at the end. However, I emailed the winning bidder and explained I screwed up and made them a nice offer and they accepted. Cost me a bit more than if I had got it at the auction, but that ones been elusive for me so I went ahead and got it. I'll be scanning some of the other cards that only have small images and making the scans on the first page look better so check back over the next few days if you want to see the better scans. (I've been on and off vacation this week burning days before my anniversary date at my job and you can only carry over a certain number of days so I've had a lot of fun hobby time on my hands this week)

Mike
  • Options
    Nice TTM sucess today. The great Phil Niekro. Took 17 days and was the 2nd time I tried, first was a RTS.

If you want to try the address is:

6382 Nicholas Rd., Flowery Branch, GA 30542

Most people get a RTS (however, it is the RIGHT address), you need to send it in a way to where it doesn't look like an autograph request (at least that's what I did), good luck!!

• Options
    I saw the brett and was wondering if you were going to bid on it...I thought about it...glad i didnt' get in a bidding war with you...LOL
  • Options

<< <i>I saw the brett and was wondering if you were going to bid on it...I thought about it...glad i didnt' get in a bidding war with you...LOL >>

Just as an FYI if you are still interested in getting a Brett signed rookie, he does sign TTM through Brett Brothers. Here's the body of an email they sent me, it's only once a year, but if you need him, it's worth it.

Here's the email they sent me when I inquired:

George does sign items for a $50.00 donation to the ALS Association. He usually comes up to Spokane once a year around the holidays. He may be up earlier this year as he did not make it last holiday season. Our address is:

Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    9516 E. Montgomery Ave.
    Suite 14
    Spokane Valley, WA 99206-4121

Regards,
    Dave Cuplin
    Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    888-882-8814 toll free
    509-891-4156 fax
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw the brett and was wondering if you were going to bid on it...I thought about it...glad i didnt' get in a bidding war with you...LOL >>

Just as an FYI if you are still interested in getting a Brett signed rookie, he does sign TTM through Brett Brothers. Here's the body of an email they sent me, it's only once a year, but if you need him, it's worth it.

George does sign items for a $50.00 donation to the ALS Association. He usually comes up to Spokane once a year around the holidays. He may be up earlier this year as he did not make it last holiday season. Our address is:

Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    9516 E. Montgomery Ave.
    Suite 14

Regards,
    Dave Cuplin
    Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    888-882-8814 toll free
    509-891-4156 fax >>

Thanks $50 would be a deal...can I ship a pen i would want him to use too...I like fine tipped sharpies....now i have to shop for a nice brett rookie...thanks again! Do you mind if I ask what you paid for that Brett? I just read your post about how you acquired it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    9516 E. Montgomery Ave.
    Suite 14

Regards,
    Dave Cuplin
    Brett Bros. Sports Intl.
    888-882-8814 toll free
    509-891-4156 fax >>

Thanks $50 would be a deal...can I ship a pen i would want him to use too...I like fine tipped sharpies....now i have to shop for a nice brett rookie...thanks again! Do you mind if I ask what you paid for that Brett? I just read your post about how you acquired it. >>

I'll send you a PM in a couple minutes.

Mike
  • Options
    Picked up future HOF and HOF quotemaster Rickey Henderson a few minutes ago from ebay. Passed PSA/DNA quick opinion so I bid heavy after it.

• Options
    Just added HOF pitching ace Juan Marichal 1961 Topps. Other than a small crease in the lower right corner, it's a pretty good example. I'm getting there, one step at a time.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Marichal Mike, was that a TTM?
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful Marichal Mike, was that a TTM? >>

No, I bought it from Bud's Sportscards in Florida who had a signing with him in 2005. Marichal is not a good signer TTM. Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Added another Mazeroski today. He signed it at the Pittsburgh XXX Spring Classic on May 17, just got it back today. Beautiful signature.

• Options
    Today's mail brought with it a 1968 Johnny Bench signed rookie. I got it signed through his foundation. Nice signature.

• Options
    Added the one football player I wanted in my signed rookie collection tonight. Fellow Notre Dame alum and NFL HOF'er Joe Montana. Bought off of ebay already slabbed.

• Options
    Added two more today. Got them back from a show signing in May. 1957 Topps Jim Bunning and 1958 Topps Orlando Cepeda.

• Options
    Mike - The 57 Bunning and 58 Cepeda look great!

If I realized you were a ND fan/alum, I might have asked double for the cards I sold you!!
  • Options
    Doubled the size of my hockey collection today. Super Mario Lemieux Ebay purchase already slabbed.

Mike
  • Options
    How much do they charge for a Bunning at a show ??

• Options
    Tennessee Banker,

I paid $40.00 for the Bunning signature on a flat, but I assume his fee will vary based on the promoter.

Mike
  • Options
    Got one back today from a show signing last weekend. Bob Gibson 1959 Topps, nice condition as well, was a PSA 5 crackout.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Nice looking Gibby.

I need to get a Bob Gibson signed rookie card for my collection. Maybe that will be a goal for me at the next Cardinals Winter Warm Up.

Congrats!
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    That Gibson is nicely centered.
  • Options
    Added one more tonight via ebay, 1957 Don Drysdale already slabbed, has some back damage, but presents well. I'll probably eventually upgrade this one to one that a fellow board member has, but in the interim, it was priced right so I went ahead and picked it up to fill the hole.

Mike
  • Options
    This guy's not a Hall of Famer but he was one of my baseball idols when I was a teenager so I picked it up. Dwight Gooden. I just wish he would have kept his nose clean and we could have enjoyed his baseball greatness for a long time. Now for him, I just wish that he keeps his life together and has a happy retirement. Over the next couple weeks, I'll be adding some more HOF'ers finally. McCovey is signing a rookie for me Saturday in Denver, Hank Aaron will be signing a rookie for me on the 28th in New York, and Carew will be signing a rookie for me next weekend in Houston. Will have some great ones to add once those start coming in.

• Options
    Added a BGS 9.5/10 2001 Topps Finest autographed of potential future HOF'er Albert Pujols. Decided to jump on it with Microsoft's 20% off deal. Winning bid was $429.01 and I get 20% cash back from Microsoft of $85.80 and 10% back from ebay with Ebay bucks of $42.90 so net price after incentives was $300.31 (and i have a ebay coupon for free shipping) image I thought that was a decent price for a Gem Mint one.

Mike

• Options
    Today's mail brought a nice future HOF'er. Ron Santo on his 1961 Topps rookie. Even included a COA from Ron's charity Major Memories.

If you want to try, the cost is $10.00 per item and the address is:

Ron Santo
    Major Memories
    1140 South Webster
    Des Plaines, IL 60016

• Options
    Picked up a nice one tonight. 1954 Ernie Banks already PSA/DNA slabbed. The condition of the card is a bit rough with some staining as you can see, but I absolutely love the blue pen autograph instead of a modern sharpie. Looks great on that card and the focus and picture are very presentable compared to most of the lower condition Banks rookies.

Over the next week, I should have a 1960 McCovey, 1967 Carew, and 1954 Aaron to add as they have been signed for me at signings the last two weekends, hopefully, I'll get them back this week and can post scans of them.

Mike

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Pujols. I have two PSA 9's.

Shane

• Options
    I have a new favorite. A 1954 Hank Aaron!! I've wanted this card since I was a kid. It was signed on June 28, 2008 at Last Lick's Ice Cream in New York. Not real crazy about the Steiner sticker on the reverse, but I'm only having them slabbed authentic anyway so it won't hurt the grade. Real pleasing example to the eye. I"m proud of this one! It replaces the 1986 Fleer Jordan as my new favorite. image

• Options
    Also added potential future HOF John Smoltz today from ebay. Less than $5.00 and authentic at that.

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Amazing autographs Mike, How many do you have left to get, to complete your collection?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt feel bad about the Steiner sticker at all other than maybe its placement. Steiner has the world thinking wacky cuz they sell items for big time prices.

From what I hear, Last Licks is legendary! Ive never been there and dont even know where it is. I know Mariano Rivera is signing there later this month...at a whack of 150 per flat!
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing autographs Mike, How many do you have left to get, to complete your collection? >>

I actually don't have too many left to get. I am waiting on a 1960 Willie McCovey and 1967 Rod Carew to get back from signings in Denver and Houston and they should be here any day, and at the end of July, I am getting the following signed at a MAB Hall of Fame show, 1967 Seaver, 1965 Morgan, 1969 Jackson, 1965 Perez and 1965 Sutton. So for the ones already in the Hall, I'll still need:

1952 Wilhelm, 1952 Mathews, 1955 Clemente, 1963 Stargell, and 1965 Catfish Hunter

For the future potential HOF'ers, they are just guesses but I still need:

1960 Kaat, 1993 Jeter, 1994 AROD (I want to get a signed SP of his)

In the other sports, I'd still like to get a Julius Erving, Magic Johnson/Larry Bird, Jennie Finch (yes, the softball chic), Tiger Woods, Lee Trevino (currently have a TTM request to him), Jack Nicklaus (currently have a TTM request to him) and that's probably about it unless I get bored and then I might branch off into football but I'm not a real big pro football fan, I love college football, just not pro.

This has been a fun project, once I get the ones back at the end of July, I'll be sending them all into PSA/DNA to have them slabbed so they'll "match" and display nicely. They are giving me a special deal of $15.00 per card to slab and authenticate them that I've already worked out with them. Now, I'll have to sell some of my other stuff to cover the $1,000 in grading fees that it's going to cost me image

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    Yeah, what's really cool about Last Lick's is that their signing fees are typically less than if you go though Steiner, BUT, the signings are arranged by the same people and your item comes back authenticated by Steiner. Good deal if you need somebody they have signing. For instance, on the Aaron signing, Steiner was charging about $400.00 (for a flat) for Aaron if I remember correctly and Last Lick's was charging $175.00 plus a $15.00 handling fee for an Aaron flat.

Take care,

Mike